Naval Surface Warfare Center

Updated Jun 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Contract Specialist

Contract Specialist (Current Employee) Panama City, FL (US)

ProsThe job provides a good salary.

ConsThe job is working for the government.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees

Good place to work.

Cyber Engineer (Current Employee) Dahlgren, VA (US)

ProsTons of opportunities to chose from as far as type of work.

ConsSome department management types do not trust their employees. This was made evident by a switch that I made between departments, which was from a more trusting environment to one in which Big Brother was obviously present.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the extreme amount of paperwork required to order IT equipment. The amount of paperwork required to put in an order for less than $15,000 worth of computers is ridiculous. I'd guess that over half that amount is spent in oversight labor.

Dirt review

ProsRelaxed atmosphere. There really is no pressure to do well. If you want to just come to work and do nothing; bingo.

ConsThe company is structured to assist the US NAVY. However, to do anything, it takes two years minimum before you can actually physically install a software/hardware or mechanical device that may help improve the sailor's operational experience or to save fuel.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to actually improve your employees and help advance their careers push for everyone at the company to have a FE and masters degree.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

NSWC Dahlgren Review

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Dahlgren, VA (US)

Pros- Good salary (Washington DC locality pay)
    - Broad range of technical opportunities
    - Excellent benefits and education support (paid for my Master's Degree)
    - Obtain government security clearance

Cons- Slow and steady career progression
    - Long project cycles
    - Overbearing administrative requirements / mandatory training

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to incorporate more innovative development strategies for newer employees so that they don't feel stuck in the "step by step" government career progression model

A Mixed Bag

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dahlgren, VA (US)

ProsUsed to be a center of innovation
    Good vacation benefits
    Flexible work schedules
    Job security
    Health insurance

ConsInnovation is being stifled
    Too many hurtles created against doing real technical work
    "We want to do that, but there isn't a process for it."
    Technical innovation takes a far back seat to electron pushing
    Bureaucracy has become horrific, especially over the last 5 years
    Local management is impotent
    Corporate management completely detached from needs of workers
    Technical people aren't considered as important as programmatic types
    No real technical career ladder
    Research has been almost been eliminated - farmed out to universities and contractors
    Horrible IT policies and capabilities - practically impossible to install newer software or develop it

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate: let local managers manage. Give them authority and let them be responsible.
    Drop all the processes and focus on good people - they will create the necessary processes if needed
    Remind yourself every day that the mission is about the sailors and the marines and giving them superior technology to prevail in their mission - not about having a process and boxes checked in a spread sheet or on a web site

Engineer

Engineering Manager (Current Employee) West Bethesda, MD (US)

ProsInteresting work, strong values, good benefits, stable work

ConsThis is a federal government organization

Provides unique opportunities to explore some exciting technologies.

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsAbility to serve the fleet and the sailor
    Job stability
    Flexible work hours
    Leave and benefits
    Education Opportunities

ConsPay
    Advancement based on time not performance
    High performers rarely rewarded and rewards are minimal
    Managers lack training and knowledge
    Lots of dead weight and low performers due to antiquated policies

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers instead of promoting engineers, change policies to get rid of dead weight and reward high performers.

A roller coaster ride

Engineer (Former Employee) Indian Head, MD (US)

ProsPay, benefits, flex schedule were OK

ConsProfessional Development:
    This is the wrong place to start if you're a young aspiring engineer looking to pursue a technical path. This place is behind in terms of skills and facilities and you will find it difficult to move forward in your career or find a job elsewhere. There is a big hype for "professional development" but that really means program management, sales training and "how to talk to people". There's no balance between technical and management skills. This place might just end up a base with all managers, all selling empty cans to ONR.

Work Environment, Culture and Values:
    Competition for research funding is rough everywhere but there's a good way and a bad way to compete. I've only seen the bad side here...

Most proposals for the programs I've worked on had been written by "technical" leads without consideration for the time, training, and resources available to the poor souls tasked to implement them. Instead, proposals were written with the promise of delivering faster than the competition. Moreover, review panels on existing programs were not all from independent parties. Some programs were so desperate that they even tried to exploit my friendships and professional network.

There was also this overwhelming and distressing culture of helping and intervention. If you're dissatisfied with your work one day, all of a sudden everybody will be all over your entire life, not just your work life. There was no respect for personal space. There was this big brotherish sense of "helping". My career is forever marred by the people who "spoke (and still do) on my behalf." I have tried to start over but it seems like any place I go I will always have to deal with an awkward work environment.

Advice to Senior Managementand to senior engineers-

You won't boost morale, build good rapport, or gain any respect by just calculating what to say to people based on their interactions with their friends, what hobbies they like, and other nonsense. You can try the power of suggestion and your business psychology tactics all you want, but getting people to listen or follow your lead is as simple as showing that you are working hard and doing your own job with integrity.

Electronics Engineer

Electronics Engineer (Former Employee) Norco, CA (US)

ProsInteresting work. Job stability. Pay & Compensation. Supportive of continuous learning to obtain industry standard certifications.

ConsIt's easy for employees to become complacent and it appears that little is/can be done. Policies are not fairly applied throughout the Command.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide effective supervisor training.

I learned what technicians do to help electrical engineers hands on!

Electrical Technician (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD (US)

ProsFlex time, relaxed environment sometimes, and nice coworkers

ConsExpected to work alone most of the time, on projects you may not have experience in.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain employees more.

Worked for Naval Surface Warfare Center? Contribute to the Community!