Navigant Consulting

Navigant Consulting Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Navigant Consulting Director, President & CEO Julie M. Howard

Julie M. Howard

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, work-life balance, all employees are bonus eligible(in 21 reviews)

• Collaborative work environment across offices(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting job, at time it can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance(in 20 reviews)

• Long hours expected and appreciation for sacrifices not readily acknowledged(in 10 reviews)

Small teams doing big things

ProsIn-depth knowledgeable people working in small teams

ConsBig firm admin with small firm benefits

Great at what they do, but really bad with people working for them

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosexperts working there really know their fields; benefits,

Consthere is zero company culture

Advice to Senior ManagementLess politics, more collaboration

Mixed experience

(Current Employee) London, England

ProsAbility to get stuck in with projects and provide input on direction of projects. Range of projects is diverse and interesting.

ConsNavigant consulting is better suited to experiened professionals rather than people starting off their careers. Promotional opportunities are based on office politics rather than merit.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsInternational consultancy and exceptional reputation

ConsIt seems that the integration between departments is not at satisfactory levels

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the integration, one-shop stop approach

Great people, interesting work with excellent opportunities for advancement

Associate Director (Current Employee)

ProsVery intelligent colleagues
    Limitless training opportunities
    Interesting projects
    Good pay and transparent bonus structure
    Generally, the firm is flexible with work - life balance, though job deadlines can impact that
    Culture - offices offer different committees for planning social events, philanthropic events, etc.

ConsClient always comes first and while this is the exception, not the rule, sometimes work impacts life.
    It can be challenging work with challenging deadlines
    While the C - AD level is more transparent in terms of promotion cycles, bonus structure, etc. it is difficult to know exactly what it takes to make it to Director or Managing Director (in terms of the responsibilities and rewards).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to improve on the overall Navigant Brand, not just in terms of pursuing client work, but within the former, current and prospective workforce. As I look through some of my colleagues and former colleagues comments regarding their time at Navigant, I am concerned, because it has not been my experience and there are not currently as many positive entries. That is not to say the negative entries are inaccurate, but Navigant should do a better job of determining areas for improvement and addressing prior to them getting to this point.

Great opportunities, lots of work

Managing Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsGreat access to senior management. Management is real interested in delivering quality projects. Good pay. Projects are not super difficult but do require long hours. Note pros and cons vary by the PRACTICE

Cons401K match is just ok. It's difficult to use all of your vacation time. Staffing on good projects to not equitable but based on popularity and politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in training, hiring quality people, and focus on equitable staffing.

great, professional, small

Managing Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Prospeople, professional, creative, passionate, humble

Conssalary, bonus, progression, growth, perks

Good pay, bad culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent work-life balance, flexible hours, real smart and fun coworkers. All depending on your location and practice area - there are dozens of offices across the U.S.

ConsYour experience is completely determined by which projects you work on with which directors and for which clients, and opportunities to move between projects are fleeting and hard to catch.

No culture - the firm is basically an umbrella for independently operating project directors. There's nothing holding it together besides shared time-entry / billing systems and bulk purchases of office supplies. Attempts by Corporate to bring people together are half-hearted at best, ring hollow, and are ultimately pointless. Feels like being in The Office or Office Space, but without the humor.

Long hours, uninteresting projects, little payoff or advancement.

Associate Director (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsInteresting and talented colleagues, some unique rewards programs and compensation models, and very dedicated employees.

ConsVery clique driven, and management is not open to any opinion other than from those "in the club." It isn't really a consulting firm - more like a high end staffing agency for distressed projects that no other firm will take. It is also very top heavy, leaving little room for growth and advancement. Compensation and benefits are marginal.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time on practice development. When MDs have 100+% utilization, no one is focused on the care and feeding of the staff, the business, or strategic direction of the practice. As a result, we take whatever the clients throw at us, regardless of fit, skill set, or fit. Also, your employees are not the enemy. Stop treating them as such.

No Leadership

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsSmart people. Not much else.

ConsYou have no control over projects / directors. Senior leadership is poor. Toxic culture starts at the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest.

Worked for Navigant Consulting? Contribute to the Community!