Navigant Consulting

Updated 20 November 2014
3.2

Navigant Consulting Chairman and CEO Julie M. Howard
Julie M. Howard

Pros
  • Energy practice leadership is keenly aware of work/life balance (in 28 reviews)

• you got the chance to work with smart people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting job, at time it can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Long hours expected and appreciation for sacrifices not readily acknowledged (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great colleagues with a reputation for quality work and interesting projects

Current Employee - Managing Consultant
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I get to work with really smart, passionate people. There's a ton of variety in the work that we do, and that keeps things interesting. There's a good amount of autonomy and flexibility granted to consultants. We're treated like adults who can make decisions for themselves. There's a lot of room for creativity and innovative thinking, if you get on the right projects. The energy practice (where I work) has a good blend of thinkers from different fields: engineers, economists, B-school grads, social scientists, etc. I feel very proud of our reputation for quality in our field.

Cons

I am acutely aware that many people have had a less positive experience than I have; so much depends on which office you're in and which project managers you're working with. Some of the offices have no camaraderie (thankfully, I am in one of the ones with a good culture). Some project managers treat their employees like indentured servants but many are excellent and nurturing.

Performance evaluations focus too much on how much time you bill to the client and not enough on how much value you create for the client and what you do to ensure the long-term success of your group. There's a lot of talk about building a "sales culture" but at the lower levels, there is really no upside to spending non-billable time on trying to sell work. I think there's a lot of short-sightedness in the performance evaluation process.

There could be more collaboration across teams and groups. A good amount of reinventing the wheel takes place. That's partially due to the emphasis on billable hours. Nobody wants to spend a ton of time that they don't get credit for making things easier for other people.

Remember that many employees are motivated by the opportunity to pursue intellectually satisfying and meaningful work, not solely the pursuit of a fatter paycheck and higher stock prices. Internal communication focuses too much on dollars and not enough on the human beings who are creating value for our clients.

Create more flexibility in opportunities for advancement. Few people can truly excel at technical work, mentoring, project management, and sales; they are four distinct and equally important skillsets. Create career paths for people who want to excel at 2 or 3 of those areas and allow them to continue receiving promotions and raises. Stop pretending that someone who can sell work is also qualified to manage a project. That is very often not the case. Place more value on mentoring; advance people who improve the work quality of those around them.

Absolutely the best thing I ever did

Current Employee - Managing Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Managing Director in London, England

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are simply great - so collaborative and helpful. The practice I joined is global, and the people we have around the world are wonderful to work with. The atmosphere in the office is hugely positive - it is just a great place to be. I had a family friend here on work experience recently - she was blown away by it all too. I did the same job for 24 years before coming here, and had no reason to move, but the more people I met the easier the decision became. I would highly recommend Navigant as an employer.

Cons

Getting used to the corporate culture (not Navigant specific corp culture, just generally) was a shock to my system as I had not been in this environment before, but I am slowly picking it up (with the help of my wonderful colleagues).

Disappointing experience

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensations above fair market value for life sciences
    Great diversity of profiles
    Strong bounds with the US

Cons

Have witnessed inappropriate situations, reported it to HR (with other witnesses), nothing noticeable was done about it
    Have been strongly discouraged interacting with HR to discuss 'the problem'

Pay less, but invest more in training, especially for managers
    Promote your amazing pension scheme externally

Small teams doing big things

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

In-depth knowledgeable people working in small teams

Cons

Big firm admin with small firm benefits

Great at what they do, but really bad with people working for them

I worked at Navigant Consulting

Pros

experts working there really know their fields; benefits,

Cons

there is zero company culture

Less politics, more collaboration

Mixed experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Ability to get stuck in with projects and provide input on direction of projects. Range of projects is diverse and interesting.

Cons

Navigant consulting is better suited to experiened professionals rather than people starting off their careers. Promotional opportunities are based on office politics rather than merit.

Positive

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

International consultancy and exceptional reputation

Cons

It seems that the integration between departments is not at satisfactory levels

Focus on the integration, one-shop stop approach

Senior Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Navigant has great people and everyone seems to be extremely bright and committed to satisfying the needs of our clients. There is a lot of growth especially in the Financial Services Practice

Cons

Not too much vacation time. Benefits are average at best. Coming from a huge bank, there is an adjustment of expectation that needs to occur.

Work life balance is key. Be sure that compensation remains competitve so that you keep great people.

Seems to be a good place for those fresh out of school

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Practices covering many industries (e.g. Finance, Economics, Healthcare, Energy, etc.) and presence in most major US cities. Great place to start right out of undergad or grad program.

Cons

Lack of direction and limited integration within practices and business units. Very little foresight in accepting projects and utilizing talent. Sterile office environment and unapproachable leadership.

Implement a communications strategy from leadership. Make more than a facile attempt at integrating business units and practices. Assess adequacy of compensation in relation to peer companies and adjust accordingly.

Nothing remarkable, summer internship experience

Former Employee - Summer Associate in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Summer Associate in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Navigant Consulting as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Really fun, young group of people.
    Has a lot of intern activities.
    Lots of interesting projects and work with exciting travel opportunities

Cons

Lots of turnover, people are constantly in and out (I imagine they have their reasons).

Navigant Consulting Photos