Navigant Consulting

Updated 26 February 2015
3.2

Navigant Consulting Chairman and CEO Julie M. Howard
Julie M. Howard

Pros
  • Energy practice leadership is keenly aware of work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• you got the chance to work with smart people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting job, at time it can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Long hours expected and appreciation for sacrifices not readily acknowledged (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great colleagues with a reputation for quality work and interesting projects

Current Employee - Managing Consultant
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I get to work with really smart, passionate people. There's a ton of variety in the work that we do, and that keeps things interesting. There's a good amount of autonomy and flexibility granted to consultants. We're treated like adults who can make decisions for themselves. There's a lot of room for creativity and innovative thinking, if you get on the right projects. The energy practice (where I work) has a good blend of thinkers from different fields: engineers, economists, B-school grads, social scientists, etc. I feel very proud of our reputation for quality in our field.

Cons

I am acutely aware that many people have had a less positive experience than I have; so much depends on which office you're in and which project managers you're working with. Some of the offices have no camaraderie (thankfully, I am in one of the ones with a good culture). Some project managers treat their employees like indentured servants but many are excellent and nurturing.

Performance evaluations focus too much on how much time you bill to the client and not enough on how much value you create for the client and what you do to ensure the long-term success of your group. There's a lot of talk about building a "sales culture" but at the lower levels, there is really no upside to spending non-billable time on trying to sell work. I think there's a lot of short-sightedness in the performance evaluation process.

There could be more collaboration across teams and groups. A good amount of reinventing the wheel takes place. That's partially due to the emphasis on billable hours. Nobody wants to spend a ton of time that they don't get credit for making things easier for other people.

Remember that many employees are motivated by the opportunity to pursue intellectually satisfying and meaningful work, not solely the pursuit of a fatter paycheck and higher stock prices. Internal communication focuses too much on dollars and not enough on the human beings who are creating value for our clients.

Create more flexibility in opportunities for advancement. Few people can truly excel at technical work, mentoring, project management, and sales; they are four distinct and equally important skillsets. Create career paths for people who want to excel at 2 or 3 of those areas and allow them to continue receiving promotions and raises. Stop pretending that someone who can sell work is also qualified to manage a project. That is very often not the case. Place more value on mentoring; advance people who improve the work quality of those around them.

Absolutely the best thing I ever did

Current Employee - Managing Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Managing Director in London, England

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are simply great - so collaborative and helpful. The practice I joined is global, and the people we have around the world are wonderful to work with. The atmosphere in the office is hugely positive - it is just a great place to be. I had a family friend here on work experience recently - she was blown away by it all too. I did the same job for 24 years before coming here, and had no reason to move, but the more people I met the easier the decision became. I would highly recommend Navigant as an employer.

Cons

Getting used to the corporate culture (not Navigant specific corp culture, just generally) was a shock to my system as I had not been in this environment before, but I am slowly picking it up (with the help of my wonderful colleagues).

Disappointing experience

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensations above fair market value for life sciences
    Great diversity of profiles
    Strong bounds with the US

Cons

Have witnessed inappropriate situations, reported it to HR (with other witnesses), nothing noticeable was done about it
    Have been strongly discouraged interacting with HR to discuss 'the problem'

Pay less, but invest more in training, especially for managers
    Promote your amazing pension scheme externally

Small teams doing big things

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

In-depth knowledgeable people working in small teams

Cons

Big firm admin with small firm benefits

Great at what they do, but really bad with people working for them

I worked at Navigant Consulting

Pros

experts working there really know their fields; benefits,

Cons

there is zero company culture

Less politics, more collaboration

Mixed experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Ability to get stuck in with projects and provide input on direction of projects. Range of projects is diverse and interesting.

Cons

Navigant consulting is better suited to experiened professionals rather than people starting off their careers. Promotional opportunities are based on office politics rather than merit.

Positive

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

International consultancy and exceptional reputation

Cons

It seems that the integration between departments is not at satisfactory levels

Focus on the integration, one-shop stop approach

Consulting

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Flexibility, challenge, continual learning, industry leader

Cons

Office work is office work

Satisfied

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Everyone I interact with is very personable and great to work with. It's a relaxed environment.

Cons

The compensation could be better.

Great mid-size consulting firm

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Great firm, great leadership, flexible with working from home, with many high profile clients in a variety of industries. Transparency as far as advancement and placement is also a plus

Cons

People are spread out across the country, which can make interaction difficult, hard to coordinate. Also makes for a less collegial atmosphere as you call to chat about work, not much else

Office culture is decent, training was very little, could be improved.

Navigant Consulting Photos