Navigant Consulting

Updated 17 December 2014
3.2

Navigant Consulting Chairman and CEO Julie M. Howard
Julie M. Howard

Pros
  • Energy practice leadership is keenly aware of work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• you got the chance to work with smart people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting job, at time it can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Long hours expected and appreciation for sacrifices not readily acknowledged (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place for motivated self-starters

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Widely recognized consulting firm with a diverse suite of services and industry focus
    Work-life balance in excellent, compensation is commensurate to employee input (I feel like I'm duly rewarded for what I put in)
    Flexible working arrangements

Cons

I think work environment varies widely among practices and sub-groups, so my experience with my team (Energy - transaction due diligence and regulatory advisory) might be quite different from others' experience

Increase incentives and reduce barriers to collaboration among practices and sub-groups

Sep 15, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your experience at Navigant. We appreciate the feedback and are continuing to identify more opportunities for collaboration going forward like the Innovation Challenge.

Professionalism and going the extra mile are part of the culture of this company.

Current Employee - Credentialing Analyst in Vermillion, SD (US)
    Current Employee - Credentialing Analyst in Vermillion, SD (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, educational opportunities and lifelong learning. The office is friendly and coworkers strive to be a team. The flexibility to take time off for family obligations is really appreciated. You can leave your work at work if that is your choice.

Cons

No differential in pay for those with experience verses entry level in the SD offices. Team leaders are sometimes lacking in experience in dealing with personnel issues in a more positive, team buidling way since the office size grew very quickly.

Provide a path for career growth for those of us who want a career, not just a job.

Sep 18, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thanks you for sharing your experience. We take your feedback seriously and are working on the performance management process for non-consulting/outsoucing professionals to help them with career ... More

The Energy practice serves the biggest clients in the industry, so your impact has scale.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The flexibility available to you around the work that you do is incredible.
    Energy practice leadership is keenly aware of work/life balance.

Cons

The nature of consulting requires time tracking and constant awareness of how many of your hours are billable to a client. Unfortunately, this also ties into your bonus.

Build teams of people within your office who work well together.

Great place to work if you like a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment that pays for performance

Current Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong experienced leaders who work alongside staff providing an outstanding learning experience for the whole team, nice people to work with, good teamwork and collaboration, we work on challenging assignments at industry leading companies, if you perform well there are lots of advancement opportunities and good compensation, not a lot of beauracracy like at Big Four consulting firms, no independence issues that get in the way of sales

Cons

Lacks the global scale of large consulting firms (but the pluses far outweigh the cons)

Figure out a way to tell the Navigant story better since many people do not know who we are. Build a much better web presence to help promote the brand.

Good learning experience

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

gave me a lot of autonomy to work on projects and learn. Was able to write memos, work on financial models,and have client interaction from day 1.

Cons

many different bosses, lack of organizational clarity at times. Were some sharp personalities in the group. Were some efforts at training, but quickly forgotten when we got busy.

Integration of the different groups seemed to be a challenge at times. Navigant has grown largely through acquisition and it is a constant effort to align all these formerly disparate groups.

Sep 15, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your experience at Navigant. Feedback such as this is important as we continue to grow in the future.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time

Pros

Faced paced with a wide array of opportunities to strength the depth of your skills set.

Cons

On the small side, which is often a benefit.

Consider becoming a private company again.

As this is the consulting world, you are expected to kowtow to the client and to your egomaniacal manager

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time

Pros

This company cares about getting the work done and not necessarily in what fashion, so there are flexible hours and time arrangements that employees can take advantage of, as well as the ability to work remotely. The company does offer incentives for hard work, but they are nearly unachieveable milestones.

Cons

As this is the consulting world, you are expected to kowtow to the client, and management have the same expectations for themselves. The egos that exist in this company are extraordinary and what managers say and do to junior level employees is astonishing. Complete and utter disrespect, scape-goating, only interested in the bottom line. Projects are consistently mismanaged and managers recuse themselves from the day to day operation of their projects only to give blind directives, most of which are counter-productive. Now there is a chance that if you work here you will work for some smart, motivated, and considerate managers, and you will learn and have positive experiences. But, more likely, if you work here you will not be treated like a human being, and that's a chance not worth taking. The compensation is fair and the perks admirable, but again, it is not worth subjecting yourself to this top-heavy company where you are expected to come running when your name is called and admonished for not jumping higher.

In my opinion, managers are the key cog in driving retention rates and there is a reason that junior level employees consistently leave this company after only a few years. They are run into the ground and treated like garbage. I think managers should take a step back and think long and hard about if they even want junior level employees to stick around. If they don't, then they won't need to change anything, but if they do, then they should start with themselves.

Great company overall but lacking in rewarding loyal employees

Former Employee - Analyst Manager in Lawrenceville, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst Manager in Lawrenceville, NJ (US)

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company, benefits, and work-life balance. I worked for Navigant for almost 10 years and overall I was satisfied with how I was treated. The company definitely knows how to communicate properly and they are very diplomatic and careful with HR-related stuff.

Cons

The company needs to provide a more fair succession plan for loyal, hard-working employees who have put in the time and effort to grow. I worked for almost 10 years and was only promoted once with a total increate in my salary of $10,000 over 9 years of dedication. My reviews were always fantastic but I never saw any growth for me. In the end, I lost my job due to the elimination of certain positions because we lost several clients in one year.

Be fair with hard-working and loyal employees and reward those that have put in the time.

College, Part II

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good location, good work-life balance compared to the average consulting job (although this experience can vary from one person to another), everyone is easy to get along with.

Cons

Compensation is below-average for the industry. Performance ratings seem to be based more on whether you've got a managing director in your corner, less on your actual performance on a given project. Thus, advancement can be hard for lateral hires or those who have not become the "go-to" person for a higher-up.

Management does a good job of hiring people who are easy to get along with, but not necessarily the best job of hiring and retaining the most qualified individuals. That is not to say that the people working at Navigant are unqualified, but personality seems to be the most important factor here.

Great for first year, stagnant after that

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible work arrangement (work remotely when needed, work odd-hours when needed, take off two hours in middle of day for appointments, etc.)
    Enthusiastic, bright, and engaging junior staff
    Plentiful initial training opportunities
    Commitment to diversity

Cons

Strict hierarchy
    Uninspiring executive team
    Incohesive corporate/management goals/message
    Lack of training opportunities after first year
    Little emphasis on professional development
    Little support for pursuing learning opportunities
    Bloated management and executive compensation
    Inconsistent vacation policies
    Aggressive acquisition campaign destroys 'close-knit' culture

Tie management and executive compensation to median employee salary (no more than 20x median salary for executives, 10x for management)
    Provide consistent and cohesive firm-wide goals
    Focus on employees you already have, not companies you want to acquire
    Encourage training and professional development from the top down
    Provide consistent vacation allowances to employees of all levels
    Try to spend a day-in-the-life of administrators, consultants, and analysts to gain perspective
    Start a sustainability initiative to limit reckless waste of resources (electricity, paper, ink, water, heating/cooling)

Navigant Consulting Photos