Neiman Marcus

Neiman Marcus Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

Neiman Marcus President, CEO, and Director Karen W. Katz

Karen W. Katz

Pros:
  • "Discount at Neimans, along with an amazing employee discount sale (up to 60 percent off)"
    in 24 reviews
  • "They have a great discount on some products also"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Even when some of the sales associates are twice their age"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Upper Management had an agenda- wanted to skim corners with staff"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

NM is a GREAT place to work. The company strives to be the leading luxury retailer. Customer Service is a top priority

Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThere is a sense of teamwork among divisions. There is an on site cafe and the discount is very generous (30%). All new hires are teamed up with a trainer in the warehouse. Those who go above and beyond are recognized each month. All associates are offered 401 K, medical/dental, LTD, and paid time off. The environment is clean, air conditioned, and professional. The facility closes at 6 PM so all associates can still have a life.

ConsIt is a production environment (for the majority of associates in the warehouse). You must maintain productivity and quality standards to keep your job. Warehouse associates must stand on their feet all day.
Associates may have to work on some Saturdays (typically 6-9 per year). There are not a lot of career growth opportunities unless you are willing to relocate to Dallas, TX.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your associates EVERYDAY. They will work harder if you treat them as if they matter. Pay a competitive rate for all positions. Pay the associates with better production scores better than those who do the minimum to get by.

Doesn't treat IT contractors well

Irving, TX (US)

I have been working at Neiman Marcus as a contractor

ProsMost employees (in IT, not creatives who are snobs) are nice and accepting of contractors.

ConsCompany makes it seem like the so called "creatives" are the only ones that matter. Long hours. Upper management treats contractors like they are throw aways. Also moving a lot of IT jobs to India instead of giving higher salaries to people in their own country.

great

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
King of Prussia, PA (US)

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than a year

ProsI liked the product knowledge, diversity, professionalism

ConsA con would be the commission

Advice to Senior Managementpay all associates hourly

NJ BEST WORK EXPERIENCE. Some people with bad reviews should reflect and see if they may be the issue.

I have been working at Neiman Marcus

ProsGreat discount, great co-workers, 80% great customers (the few bad ones don't ruin the many nice ones), flexible schedule, depending on your manager you can have great flexibility with scheduling

ConsPay, health insurance, inconsistent HR (some associates get away with many things others cannot ), lack of training, keeping store open during inclement weather, management needs to be on the same page

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope management/corporate is looking at Glassdoor reviews. It's sad to see some associates have awful experiences, but Neiman Marcus is pretty good to me. Neimans, use this as a learning tool to keep employees happy.

I have been at neiman marcus almost a month

Customer Care Associate (Current Employee)
Irving, TX (US)

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time for less than a year

Prosworking from home, The training technique it may be a little difficult but I like how its just you and your computer you kind of go at your own pace. Its worth it for all the work that you have to do and all that information that you need to know, its better they have you training yourself I think you can retain the information better.

ConsThe Pay, The Customers...sometimes can be a little aggresive

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that higher pay would be great !

Competitive

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Palo Alto, CA (US)

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than a year

ProsIncredible merchandise, lovely surroundings and helpful management.

ConsWorking on commission created a 'hostile' environment among co-workers. Customers could pick up on it and they would leave dept or feel the need to to act as 'referee'. Very uncomfortable and awkward and not the image Neiman's wants to portray.

Advice to Senior ManagementNM needs to come up with a much healthier compensation system. Perhaps if all store members work together to make their store #1 revenue producer and then share in reward. NM wants to present 'team spirit' and we all work together but the competitive environment in search of the $ is counterintuitive. There are plenty of commission-only jobs out there. Changing compensation structure would align with NM's purpose.

Great people to work with.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Neiman Marcus part-time for less than a year

ProsThe hours are great. Room to grow with in the company. The pay is ok but meeting new people was the best part.

ConsLeadership lacked skills. Staff where rude to clients who wouldn't spend more then $100. Not willing to build new relationships with clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire staff that will train on customer service. Hire sales associates that doesn't mind serving.

Operations manager at distribution center

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than a year

ProsClean, temperature controlled environment. Has enough supply budget to order the tools you need. Recognized brand name. Lots of pizza parties and doughnuts.

ConsNot enough pay for associates. Too much pay for tenured managers. Seems like upper management turns their head to the erratic behavior of their seasoned staff. No accountability for the rules. HR runs the building and is a total nightmare.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider employee engagement survey and raise the starting salary for associates.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Inconsistent leadership

Department Manager (Current Employee)
Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI loved working in a high end environment and being around the amazing product. I learned a lot about business.

ConsThere is little room for advancement even though they say there is. The communication is terrible and often untrue. There is a corporate culture of misleading or not telling the whole truth, everything is on a need to know basis-even when you are on the same team.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more honest.

Professional and Time prompt

Neiman Marcus Corporate Intern (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Neiman Marcus as an intern for less than a year

ProsHigh - Quality and Professional
Neiman Marcus was very professional with my interview process. It took a little over 2 months from when I first was told that I can take their online test to when I was offered the position.

ConsI would not really say there are any cons, as I have not began my internship as of yet but I can say I am a little nervous to relocate to Texas for the summer as I am from the Northeast.

Worked for Neiman Marcus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Neiman Marcus reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Neiman Marcus CEO Karen W. Katz. All 293 reviews are posted anonymously by Neiman Marcus employees.