Neiman Marcus

Updated 15 October 2014
3.1

Neiman Marcus President, CEO, and Director Karen W. Katz
Karen W. Katz

Pros
  • Besides the obvious employee discount, those who work in the Call Center become more like family (in 28 reviews)

• You get great discount on everything in the store (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • There is always, always stuff coming back, even for the top sales associates (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management will not give you the benefit of the doubt in any case (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and lots of accommodations

Cons

Very Very political, if you don't have a relationship with someone in senior management you will not get very far

Develop a relationship with key people and you will grow

Organized, Professional, nice ground floor opportunity into fashion industry.

Current Employee - Customer Care Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Care Associate

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity to advance and ground floor entryway into historic fashion industry with lots of influence, culture, expertise, and history.

Cons

Frequent seasonal cattle-call type hiring processes has allowed some unsavory characters to grab hold of long term positions and not all of them have good intentions towards their new co-workers.

Consider developing safe portals to advancement for experienced business and degreed professionals.

Love working for Neiman Marcus

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you want to work for the best retailer. This is where your career will develop

Cons

Nothing to say at this moment

Great Learning and Career Building Experience

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

fashion leader, best hours in retail, good discount and managers will definitely take you under their wing to help you grow

Cons

Political, Old-School, slow at adapting to trends and technology

Great place to work during the holiday season!

Current Employee - Gift Wrap/Deliverer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Gift Wrap/Deliverer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Neiman Marcus as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The location of Neiman Marcus is amazing! It is located on the Mag Mile so its beautiful during the holiday season! The pay was also great as well! The employees are really nice and welcoming!

Cons

I didn't really care for how they did their lunch breaks, If i wanted to go buy some lunch elsewhere i felt a little rushed.

I wrapped and packed customers merchandise.

Former Employee - Packer in Irving, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Packer in Irving, TX (US)

I worked at Neiman Marcus part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great hours, independently working, great people to work with

Cons

management, to much work but no enough pay, working conditions are a little harsh

stop trying to make everybody work like slaves for such small pay and to be more mindful and understand that just because someone works for you does not mean that they are not human and have feelings just like you do.

Some good. Some bad

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time

Pros

good discounts, good benefits, very comfortable work environment

Cons

extremely stressfull, if you are outside of the merchant/buyer division - it is very hard to move up in company

Better compensation

Beware of shark infested waters.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time

Pros

If you love fashion, then this is a great environment for you. One of my favorite things about working here was getting exposed to so many different brands in so many different areas of retail. NM does a great job about vendor education because reps are constantly coming in to talk about their product or show you how to use something. If you are interested in learning about a wide variety of labels or learning how to sell different types of products, this is an excellent place to go. The potential to earn money is unlimited because you work on commission (the rate varies by department. for example, Shoe's gets 10% but CUSP is 6%). The benefits are also really great, unlike other retail companies I have worked for. I really loved (most) of the customers who shopped there. I think it is a stereotype that the very wealthy are mean. I made a lot of great relationships with clients and really enjoyed helping them. I also loved that they give you iPhones (beyond the obvious reason that you get a free phone) because it really did make the whole clientelling process easier and more effective. I believe more companies in the future will be following NM in this regard. Finally, there is always something going on, whether it be an event or a trunk show or even a famous designer visiting, so even if there is nothing going on in a particular day you always have something to look forward to. I really enjoyed our events and getting to meet really interesting designers and brand reps.

Cons

The commission sounds great, and they really sell it to you when you are hired, but there are so many returns. Unfortunately, in a store like NM, there are a lot of people who are shopaholics and buy just to buy. There is always, always stuff coming back, even for the top sales associates. This makes it really difficult when its payday because one week you can have a stellar check because you sold that piece that was $$$. However, a month later that piece comes back and your next check is -$.
    Returns are just a part of retail, so I could look past this, however, I just could not get past the store environment. Everyone is a shark, out for themselves. If you are a shark, good for you, apply here. But you better be the biggest, baddest shark or else you will get eaten alive. People steal your sales, steal your clients, and do whatever to get that $. Especially during the slow season when it is s-l-o-w and all those returns roll in. Management seems to ignore the fact other associates try to sabotage each other because they believe that competition creates more sales. However, I was under the impression teamwork built sales. Nope. Don't even ask your fellow associate to help you with something because either; A) they just will ignore you or B) they will then claim they deserve part of the commission. After weeks of dealing with outrageous sales-stealing behavior, being hazed by my fellow employees, and over hearing gossip about myself, I complained to my manager who told me, "greed is good" and that I needed to "want it more". Any time I asked for advice all I was told is to reach out to more clients and ignore the other associates and just sell. That is all well and good, but it is really hard to go to work everyday when everyone is mean to you.

If you want to improve sales, you need to work on improving your staff. It would be really helpful to try and create a more team-friendly environment instead of an out-for-yourself mentality. Everyone would be happier, and thus the environment would be more upbeat. Customers sense that we are all unhappy, which is probably why they always thought everyone at NM is stuck up. Its not because we are talking about the customers behind their back, its because everyone is busy trash talking their coworkers and a customer came along and interrupted it. Not to mention, it is easier to build a sale when someone helps you out, instead of constantly worrying someone is going to steal it from you or yell at you because 'they saw the customer first".
    Also, there needs to be more of a presence and coaching aspect from the manager. Brand knowledge is great, but there needs to be more time spent on personal development.
    Also, there needs to be a serious come to Jesus moment in regards to the handbook. Some associates (the ones who make the top $ or the ones who has been there the longest) get away with murder, while the other associates constantly are looking over their shoulder feeling like they will be punished. This is not the way to run a business. Rules should be applied evenly across the board, or else don't make rules. For example: management cracked down on dress code and said sneakers were not allowed. However, an associate who had been there for years wore Chanel sneakers, and this was ok. Just because they cost $$$ doesn't mean they are not sneakers!!!

High fashion and high stress

Former Employee - Buyer in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Buyer in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Buying offices are nice and the 30% discount can't be beat. Compensation is decent for retail executives. Benefits could be better.

Cons

High stress with little guidance from upper management. Not many perks other than the discount, but that's to be expected in retail. The debt resulting from private equity sale will ultimately weaken the Neiman Marcus brand name.

More guidance to buyers from upper management

Some associates can be vicious!

Current Employee - Personal Shopper
    Current Employee - Personal Shopper

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Upper management are great to work with, very personable and truly care for your happiness at NM. Encouraging, helpful and problem solvers are just a few of their talents. There are some wonderful associates to work with. Very helpful with questions and procedures I'm happy when I see that they are there when I work .

Cons

Working on commission is not only stressful, but learning the do's and don'ts can be very trying to a new employee. I have experienced different "rules" for approaching customers by upper management, floor management, as well as associates. It's very confusing and frustrating. Twice I have been in tears because of mean associates. This was only my 2nd week and the way they spoke to me was UNECCEPTABLE!!! ( Both occurred on the same day.) After the first incident, I walked off and began crying ( not usually a crier) I went to the ladies room to get control of myself and proceeded to human resources to discuss the situation. The HR asst. manager was great and supportive. She arranged a meeting with both may manger and upper management for the next day. She asked me if I wanted to remain for the rest of my shift to which I said "yes" that I wasn't going to let this beat me. I continued working only to have another associate berate me for asking her clients if they were ok or needed me to find their personal shopper because the gentleman was looking around like he WAS trying to locate someone. She belligerently told me that the clients mentioned to her that I asked them twice if they needed anything, and that they were HER clients. I started to tell her that I knew that and I was just being kind to them when she rudely walked away. I got mad, followed her and told her that I wasn't trying to take her clients to which she replied "you couldn't take my customers". I had enough for that day and proceeded to walk out and leave for the day. the next morning I had the meeting and told them that I felt that this was not a good fit for me that I was all about making sure the customer was happy, NOT THE ASSOCIATES!
    I was assured that I did nothing wrong and these two encounters were in the "gray" area. Really? they did agree that it was unacceptable behavior by both associates and that they hired me because NM needed a change in that department and I just happened to be the first to come aboard to make this happen. Great. It's definitely a learning experience but an uncomfortable one.

Don't release a new employee without properly training them. Instead of telling me to ignore the "mean ones" and to try to adjust, the "mean ones" need to be dealt with so the work place doesn't become a hostile environment! If I'm there to make a change, I shouldn't have to deal with barriers that would make this happen.

Neiman Marcus Photos

Outside of historic Neiman Marcus Headquarters and flagship store in Dallas. (Photo attributed to Dfwcre8tive - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 & GFDL, version 1.2)
NM Cafe