Neiman Marcus Reviews

Updated 24 August 2014

2.9

Neiman Marcus President, CEO, and Director Karen W. Katz
Karen W. Katz

Pros
  • Discount at Neimans, along with an amazing employee discount sale (up to 60 percent off) (in 26 reviews)

• good discount on many items in store (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management treats contractors like they are throw aways (in 16 reviews)

• Older sales associates are very stubborn to work with (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Online Representative

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time for less than a year

Pros

40+ hours a week. almost always has over time available and can request if your schedule does not state it.
    Work at home - no pants necessary
    further discounts on items.
    friendly customers - very polite

Cons

calls were back to back.
    no flexibility on schedules even for school.

Be more in touch with your out side customer service agents. My Manager didn't even know my name or if I was already trained on a specific thing, even though the emails clearly stated that I spoke with her directly about things.

Great training, fabulous mentors, very positive experience

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits and always room to grow. They have the best luxury product assortment in the business. And I had a ton of autonomy to do my job. I learned a ton.

Cons

Must be self motivated, there is not always a ton of support once training ends. Very rigid paths to growth. Benefits are good but compensation is usually on the low end of industry average.

More training! I hear that some of the training I received (like Excel) has been cut. Big mistake - you need to train your employees in order for them to be independently successful!

Good, stress-free work environment for people that don't want to think too much

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great discount, easy job, no pressure, can be fun, stress free

Cons

low pay, expected to sell merchandise but not offered a commission

You have to really connect with the management in order to advance within the company. Management positions are often filled by people that do not currently work at Neiman. They should hire more internally. There is a strong disconnect between management and general associates. You really do not feel appreciated but at the same time I have never been treated in a negative way. You just show up and work and not much is said or communicated to you by management. They like to protect their jobs so they do not promote people that might threaten their jobs.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What started out as a 3 year job has turned into a whole lot more...

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Neiman Marcus

Pros

Besides the obvious employee discount, those who work in the Call Center become more like family.

Cons

There are no merit promotions, pay is not up to current market standards.

I enjoyed my work at Neiman Marcus

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Paramus, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Paramus, NJ (US)

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than a year

Pros

My co-workers were friendly and helpful and I liked feeling fashion forward and ahead of the trend. Morning meetings allowed employees to learn about what was new in different departments throughout the store. Management offered employees multiple opportunities to purchase goods at substantial discounts at Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman.

Cons

The major negative was that th store's extremely liberal return policy allowed customers to return merchandise without restrictions as long as he or she had the receipt or charged it on a Neiman Marcus account. A person could buy an item, remove the tags, wear it, and then return it anytime during one year's time and the commission would be charged back to the original sales associate. This made it extremely difficult to maintain a steady income.

Reevaluate the return policy and perhaps employee turnover would not be as high. Have separate stock from which to fill internet orders instead of pulling merchandise from the store's inventory.

fantastic work environment love....love

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great environment. Fantastic merchandise.

Cons

need more training for associates

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Shipping  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Shipping in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Neiman Marcus part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has a clear image and projects it clearly internally and externally. Neiman Marcus is THE luxury department store of the U.S. and is amazing at pushing the boundaries of exceptional service! I absolutely loved working for this company, there tell are very transparent with the good and bad about the company but are sure to tell you the direction everyone must go, which is great!

Cons

Some people working for the company should be a bit more humble and realize they are there for the customer and not to pretend to be someone there are not. This sometimes creates bitter relationships in the store.

Take care of your operational people at the store level!!! Look for ways to strengthen the relationship and perceptions between sales associates and operational associates to build a stronger team and increase sales and motivation at the store level! This was definitely lacking in the store when I was there, should be priority.

Company with clear corporate vision by Karen Katz and excellent senior leadership.

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people you meet-- both customers and fellow associates. The company is stable, a leader, and the best luxury retailer in the country.

Cons

Slow to adapt to technology, but then quickly sped up to meet modern times. However, some systems like the POS and back office are out-dated. There's a bit of a "changing of the guard" from old ways to new business, and the loss of some long term big books...this has affected the culture as they were unsuccessfully replaced by young people who don't have the staying power.

Put more effort into promoting within and assisting current employees with following their personal growth in other areas of the company.

Awesome job

I worked at Neiman Marcus

Pros

Good discount, fun atmosphere, wonderful management

Cons

Trying not to spend whole paycheck at store

Great Atmosphere

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent merchandise, caring managers, covered parking, great training. Fun Trunk Shows and learning about different designers.

Cons

Commission based, very slow in summer Months, competitive,

Be realistic, have a better system for pay during slow season,

Worked for Neiman Marcus? Contribute to the Community!