Neogen

Add Photos

Neogen Chairman and CEO James L. Herbert

James L. Herbert

Growing.....

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lansing, MI (US)

ProsConscious management, bringing on new blood from outside the company. Starting to embrace. sociall media outlets, standardizing corporate image across the divisions.Encourages team atmosphere,provided opportunities to mingle with fellow employees outside work. US company keeping jobs in US.

ConsSlow to implement new technologies, short-staffed in support functions, seems to more reactive than proactive. Needs program to reward personnel working in positions not performance based

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp managers keep morale up. Need ways to reward ALL employees when company meets hoals

Low pay but good work/life balance.

Manufacturing (Current Employee) Lansing, MI (US)

ProsGood work/life balance
    Decent benefits
    Good place to gain experience

ConsTreated like children, especially women.
    Low pay.

Good place to start but no true potential for growth. Corporate does not care about the employees.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

ProsMost of the people that I work with here are good people who deserve better. If you stay here long enough you will get promoted just for having seniority.

ConsPay and compensation is very low when compared to the rest of the industry. Corporate does not care about its employees. The investors are the only ones who matter to corpoarte, not the people who make the company successful by traveling and leaving their families behind for low compensation. VERY high turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your employees for their hard work and dedication to their job. A happy work enviroment and worker will get your more production and sales.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very low pay but good entry level experience

Research Technician (Former Employee) Lansing, MI (US)

ProsGreat people. Enjoyed my day. Team work ethic. Not micromanaged. Learned a lot about microbiology.

ConsPoor pay for the level of education and experience most employees have.
    CEO continually has meetings about how well the company is doing, growing, investing and acquiring new companies, but the company does not reward its employees for this or increase wages as they should.
    Poor health care benefits with consistent increased cost to employees.
    Not much incentive to work there long term because they do not compete with the pay and benefits of other companies. Great minds leave all the time and most of the people that work there are always looking for other job opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more. Reward employees. Happiness on the job makes people stay and company would advance more if all the great minds stayed.

Insulting

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Lansing, MI (US)

ProsPeople are a pro, they make the job bearable. A good place to glean experience before moving into something meaningful.

Cons-Pay is dismal
    -Minimal Recognition
    -No Advancement Opportunity
    -Placation of concerns by Management
    -No reward for Experience
    -No reward for Education
    -No reward for Hard work

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people. When 5 year gross pay equals 12x less than Jim Herbert's 2012 bonus pay, this is unacceptable. Build a culture where individuals wish to build a career, not where people cannot wait to leave. Reward initiative. Reward innovation. When your highly trained and experienced technical staff makes 15-35x less than upper management, 2-3x less than sales and marketing, there is something horribly wrong with the company. Get rid of the inept buffoons that saturate the company and divvy up their salaries among those who actually work.

Do NOT bother coming to this company unless your goal is to stay at a horrible salary with no room for advancement.

Technical Service Representative, Diagnostics (Current Employee) Lexington, KY (US)

ProsNo pros - I am warning everyone to STAY AWAY, worst job experience I have ever experienced.

ConsTo managers, we are disposable, so they could care less if we stayed or not. Down right worse pay in industry. Zero room for advancement, so expect to stay in the same entry level spot for years. Favortism runs rampid - managers have their favorites and if you are not one of them your life will be hell. Worst manager I have EVER had - extremely fake and backstabbing. My job tasks have not ever compared to the amount I get paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to care about all of your employees - not just the ones who are deemed your 'favorite'. Please start to pay people more, the pay is an insult. Please look into all personnel who hold management positions - some people do not deserve to be managers even though they have been here 15 years as they treat their employees like scum on the bottom of their shoe. PLEASE start to care more about your employees. So far 4 people out of a department of 6 have put in their notice in less than 1 month - if you don't start caring you will always loose valuable talent and in turn the company will suffer.

Unpretentious and solid foundation

ProsLow overhead, no lay-offs, good benefits and great people

ConsSalaries are not what they should be

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of those who aren't performing and financially reward those who are with better salaries and annual raises.

no comment

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Belgrade (Serbia)

Prosok salary, great colleagues, good benefits

Consunstable, always changing, decision making is too centralized

Advice to Senior Managementno advice

Excellent company for entry level sales and starting your career.

ProsNeogen is a strong company with continued annual growth. This environment provides job stability and opportunities for sales and technical training.

ConsSalaries are meager across the board. Imperative you negotiate up front as all future negotiations are based on your initial compensation benchmark. Salary does not grow at same rate of budget expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to and implement Intel provided by your employees.

Decent Place to Start

Tech Service (Current Employee) Lansing, MI (US)

Pros-The coworkers are, for the most part, all very genuine people.
    -It's an entry level opportunity to develop your skills so that you can move on at a later time.

Cons-Compensation and benefits are poor.
    -Focus is on investor value, not employee development.
    -Very hard to move up, or around within the company.
    -Many individuals on sales team are inept.
    -Management does very little to motivate employees, no incentives for good performance.
    -Many labs are understaffed, but the company would rather do more with less than hire a few more people, thus helping their bottom line.
    -Nothing ever changes, implementation takes too long.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some great people at your company, show them you actually care about them. Focus on employee development/more competitive compensation packages, and your bottom line will improve even more.

Worked for Neogen? Contribute to the Community!