Neogen Reviews

James L. Herbert

Terrible place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ayr, Scotland
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ayr, Scotland

I worked at Neogen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They seem to take anyone

Cons

Unfriendly Staff, no central heating, lousy pay, almost no holidays at all, they make you work through Christmas time, when any decent place is shut anyway, management is useless

Advice to Management

make it worth peoples while to work for you and they might stay longer than a few months

Lab Tech II

Current Employee - Anonymous in Lincoln, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Lincoln, NE (US)

I have been working at Neogen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, somewhat relaxed environment, staff is friendly and easy to get along with. Brand new facilities that are constantly being added on to.

Cons

The wage is embarrassingly low. Management plays favorites instead of hiring the most qualified. Not a great work/life balance, not many vacation days. No clear career path.

Advice to Management

As other have already said, pay your workers more, especially those you are taking the time to train in a highly specialized skill. The amount of money it takes to train a person on some of these test is more than what a tech makes in a year. Provide incentives to stay and make it possible to move up.

If pay isn't important to you, this is a GREAT place.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI (US)

I have been working at Neogen full-time

Pros

Friendly management, fun environment, and just a lot of feel good vibes from a company that's doing "good" work. Solid training and a visible promote-from-within policy. Reasonably-priced health coverage, good 401k and stock purchase plan, and generous time off allowances.

Cons

Staffing often feels inadequate. The low wage makes it impossible to really utilize the benefits. Seriously, I have to explain to people all of the other positives of working here so they don't think I'm insane when I tell them I'm making $2/hour less than market. Few coworkers I know can afford to contribute to their own 401k and none can afford to take advantage of the stock purchase plan (which is a tremendous perk if you have the money to spend).

Advice to Management

Every year we're told we're awesome, that we've had huge income growth, and that our products are just selling themselves. So can you maybe look at increasing the wage scale? Sales people get great commissions and perks. It would be nice if the remaining rank and file did as well.

Terrible. Bad pay, bad communication, bad science.

Current Employee - Production Chemist in Lansing, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Production Chemist in Lansing, MI (US)

I have been working at Neogen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. A decent benefits package that eats more of your dismal paycheck than you can afford. Choose between 401(k) and a stock option, you can't afford both.

Cons

Nepotism abounds. QC has no idea how to run the kits it tests, R&D has no idea how manufacturing makes kits, manufacturing isn't listened to when informing previous departments of problems or solutions. Out of date equipment, bad practices, no communication. Questions go unanswered for the entire time employees work at this company.

Advice to Management

Pay people more. That solves 75% of the issues. Restructure all of QC/QA. Make QC a tiered position to be promoted into. Treat employees with respect. So many more. Maybe read those employee surveys?

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lexington Manor, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lexington Manor, KY (US)

I have been working at Neogen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's such a laid back company. This has been my all time favorite job. Good benefits. Great coworkers.

Cons

The salary needs to be higher. Neogen likes to keep putting more responsibities on your plate without giving you a raise.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone equal.

Bad company atmosphere and attitudes

Former Employee - Corporate Writer in Lansing, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Corporate Writer in Lansing, MI (US)

I worked at Neogen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual Fridays and the free parking are a plus. In the summer, there are several company lunches (the company birthday, the CEOs birthday) and a health fair that are provided that are a nice escape from the office.

Cons

Lack of effort to solve any problems that employees bring to them, lack of worker voice, lack of innovation, lack of knowledge of benefits prior to being employed, slow to implement new technologies, high turnover

Advice to Management

When employees come to you with a multitude of issues or questions about their position, do not brush them off as being "lesser" simply because they have been at the company for less time than you have. A new employee can give fresh perspective on a situation. It should also be considered that a new employee is just that -- a new employee. It does not give a sense of community or belonging when the new hire is constantly told how great the old employee was, how much management loves and misses them and how you have disappointed them by not being exactly like the predecessor. Please also do not bring old employees in and take them (and most of the office) out for lunch, leaving the new employee you hired in their place behind. It's no wonder there is high turnover when you show a lack of respect and tact.

Complete waste of so much talent

Current Employee - Research Technician
    Current Employee - Research Technician

I have been working at Neogen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like most of my coworkers. I like working in a lab as opposed to having to deal with customers face-to-face, so I guess there's that. Really though, the only reason I'm giving this place anything above one star is because my coworkers are all pretty great.

Cons

As everyone else has stated, the pay is abhorrently low for your qualifications. They claim that R&D is supposed to be "little R, big D" but that makes absolutely no sense. How are you supposed to develop something that you hardly even researched? There is way too much focus placed on the bottom line and virtually none placed on putting out a quality product. I had an optimistic view coming in to the company, but that only lasted a couple months before my attitude got dragged down like everyone else's. The office culture is indeed very unprofessional, but I don't know what else you would expect with pay the way it is. People feel that since the company doesn't respect their needs, they don't need to respect the company's needs. Like someone else said, people do come in late, leave early, disappear for hours, and in general just waste company time pretty frequently. But I can understand the reasoning, if you're only paying your employees 60% of what they should reasonably be making for their skills, then perhaps they feel that you're only entitled to 60% of their time. Additionally, because of the high turnover rate, very few people have sufficient immersion in the projects they're put on to really push these projects along.

Advice to Management

Give people more freaking money so they do the work they're supposed to, stick around, and get your products out on time! Stop trying to blame your inefficiency as a company on everything other than paying your workers like crap.

Good people but falling behind

I worked at Neogen

Pros

Employees try hard with limited resources available. Really some good people and products and okay benefits using old buildings in the city.

Cons

company is struggling with what they really want to be, losing the vision. Outdated management styles and out of touch expectations

QC Technician

I have been working at Neogen

Pros

Great coworkers and great experience

Cons

Pay far below national average

Advice to Management

Pay employees more fairly

Good company with a bad leader

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Lansing, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Lansing, MI (US)

I have been working at Neogen full-time

Pros

Good starter job. Can definitely get some good experience

Cons

Upper management is a complete joke. Everything needs 20 signatures and the board has absolutely no say. Any type of promotion is offered as an unachievable "goal". Bonuses and commission are included in your "salary". Ultimately all the decisions go through the CEO, who is stuck in his ways. VP's and board members are just seat fillers. Even what makes most business sense may not be how he thinks and he'll suffer for his pride.

Advice to Management

Start operating as a public company, not one man's pet