Neogen

James L. Herbert

Terrible place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ayr, Scotland
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ayr, Scotland

I worked at Neogen full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They seem to take anyone

Cons

Unfriendly Staff, no central heating, lousy pay, almost no holidays at all, they make you work through Christmas time, when any decent place is shut anyway, management is useless

make it worth peoples while to work for you and they might stay longer than a few months

If pay isn't important to you, this is a GREAT place.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI (US)

I have been working at Neogen full-time

Pros

Friendly management, fun environment, and just a lot of feel good vibes from a company that's doing "good" work. Solid training and a visible promote-from-within policy. Reasonably-priced health coverage, good 401k and stock purchase plan, and generous time off allowances.

Cons

Staffing often feels inadequate. The low wage makes it impossible to really utilize the benefits. Seriously, I have to explain to people all of the other positives of working here so they don't think I'm insane when I tell them I'm making $2/hour less than market. Few coworkers I know can afford to contribute to their own 401k and none can afford to take advantage of the stock purchase plan (which is a tremendous perk if you have the money to spend).

Every year we're told we're awesome, that we've had huge income growth, and that our products are just selling themselves. So can you maybe look at increasing the wage scale? Sales people get great commissions and perks. It would be nice if the remaining rank and file did as well.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lexington Manor, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lexington Manor, KY (US)

I have been working at Neogen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's such a laid back company. This has been my all time favorite job. Good benefits. Great coworkers.

Cons

The salary needs to be higher. Neogen likes to keep putting more responsibities on your plate without giving you a raise.

Treat everyone equal.

Good people but falling behind

I worked at Neogen

Pros

Employees try hard with limited resources available. Really some good people and products and okay benefits using old buildings in the city.

Cons

company is struggling with what they really want to be, losing the vision. Outdated management styles and out of touch expectations

Complete waste of so much talent

Current Employee - Research Technician
    Current Employee - Research Technician

I have been working at Neogen full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like most of my coworkers. I like working in a lab as opposed to having to deal with customers face-to-face, so I guess there's that. Really though, the only reason I'm giving this place anything above one star is because my coworkers are all pretty great.

Cons

As everyone else has stated, the pay is abhorrently low for your qualifications. They claim that R&D is supposed to be "little R, big D" but that makes absolutely no sense. How are you supposed to develop something that you hardly even researched? There is way too much focus placed on the bottom line and virtually none placed on putting out a quality product. I had an optimistic view coming in to the company, but that only lasted a couple months before my attitude got dragged down like everyone else's. The office culture is indeed very unprofessional, but I don't know what else you would expect with pay the way it is. People feel that since the company doesn't respect their needs, they don't need to respect the company's needs. Like someone else said, people do come in late, leave early, disappear for hours, and in general just waste company time pretty frequently. But I can understand the reasoning, if you're only paying your employees 60% of what they should reasonably be making for their skills, then perhaps they feel that you're only entitled to 60% of their time. Additionally, because of the high turnover rate, very few people have sufficient immersion in the projects they're put on to really push these projects along.

Give people more freaking money so they do the work they're supposed to, stick around, and get your products out on time! Stop trying to blame your inefficiency as a company on everything other than paying your workers like crap.

QC Technician

I have been working at Neogen

Pros

Great coworkers and great experience

Cons

Pay far below national average

Pay employees more fairly

Good company with a bad leader

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Lansing, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Lansing, MI (US)

I have been working at Neogen full-time

Pros

Good starter job. Can definitely get some good experience

Cons

Upper management is a complete joke. Everything needs 20 signatures and the board has absolutely no say. Any type of promotion is offered as an unachievable "goal". Bonuses and commission are included in your "salary". Ultimately all the decisions go through the CEO, who is stuck in his ways. VP's and board members are just seat fillers. Even what makes most business sense may not be how he thinks and he'll suffer for his pride.

Start operating as a public company, not one man's pet

Terrible pay, good work environment

Current Employee - R&D Scientist in Lansing, MI (US)
    Current Employee - R&D Scientist in Lansing, MI (US)

I have been working at Neogen full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, job security

Cons

Compensation, at least for people with science degrees, is so far below average it's a surprise anyone stays more than a couple years. They have quite a few people at the bottom, the technician level, which means that if lots of the talented ones leave for a better paying job there will always be someone else to fill their shoes. It seems that it would be a better idea to identify potential talent and reward those with a compensation equivalent to what other biotech companies pay. Even if you do get a raise and/or promotion, the pay will still be far below what you could make elsewhere simply because you'll start at a very low rate. If after 2-3 years they bump you up to 40k (you'd be incredibly lucky), it may seem like a big raise but just take a look at what other companies in this sector will pay an R&D scientist with a few years of experience and you'll be ready to do what almost everyone else does, and leave.
    For anyone unlucky enough to be in QC or the "chemist" positions in manufacturing, you truly have no hope at all. I have heard those jobs start around 26-28k and there honestly is nowhere to go except R&D, where, after a few years in manufacturing, you'll still start at the technician level and make somewhere near 30k. It really is an absolute joke and I don't understand how people can do that...unless you have a spouse making a real salary.
    Anyone with any talent at all will leave here quickly. The few talented people who have stayed, and worked their way into leadership roles, have only stayed because of family commitments, and even they will tell you to run for the door.

See above

Great folks, low pay and little increases

I worked at Neogen

Pros

Very friendly staff, fascinating work

Cons

High expectations, low reward unless in sales

Pay based on market value of skills asked and possessed by employees, merit increases rather than tiny cost of living raises