Neogen

Add Photos

Neogen Chairman and CEO James L. Herbert

James L. Herbert

Decent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsProducts sell themselves. Flexible. Employees are generally nice, good people. It is located in an old school building, which is cool (but also hot).

ConsLow pay. Senior management seems to be stuck in traditional, conservative rut about employees and sales techniques. There is a lack of new products and ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more gender equality and technical support for new hires. Allow for more flexibility for working out of home.

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat health benefits and 401k plan, employees get a discount on company stock, people are nice, good environment, nice place to work overall

ConsPay is lower than average, very small or no raises or upward mobility, a lot of work and responsibility for the pay

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people more rewards and encouragement, make people feel valued and part of a team

Just ok

ProsGreat co-workers. Fairly secure place to work, no layoffs.

ConsPay is very low. If recognition or advancement were options it would help. Poor communication and cooperation between departments. Office cultures inconsistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let your good stand in the way of your better. Consider strategies that other companies have been successful with.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to gain experience, but not a career destination.

Supervisor (Former Employee) Lansing, MI (US)

ProsGreat people, fair work/life balance, good place to gain entry level experience.

ConsVery low pay, mediocre benefits, poor culture and at times a negative work environment, and little recognition from senior management. Not focused on employee development, exceptionally high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs to develop a positive company culture (respect, integrity, accountability) and make it the center of everything they do. Upper management should model these values constantly and expect and require the same values in their employees. There are a lot of good people at Neogen, but there are several who get away with deplorable behavior routinely. They ruin the experience of working at an otherwise good company for those who refuse to act in such an unprofessional manner.

Neogen is a fantastic company to work with!

ProsNeogen is one of the top 200 small corporations to work for according to Forbes, however I feel they are better than that even. Amazing stock, opportunity, and experience.

ConsYou won't be working in a fancy office, as the company purchases older schools and buildings. You start out at a lower wage, but if you put in the time and effort, Neogen looks after you.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication between departments should improve.

This is not where you want to try for a career

Quality Control Technician (Current Employee) Lansing, MI (US)

ProsThere are good people who work for neogen, all of them being normal workers not management or supervisors. The managers are all petty and pass things through qc that should not have.

ConsThe supervisors let the managers use biases and hatred to manipulate employees, and both supervisors and managers lie to workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to manage

But what do I know anyways?

Chemist (Current Employee)

ProsThe employees are great people to work with. There is also a good potential for upward mobility and opportunities for different jobs within the company.

ConsTons of work and responsibility for little compensation. General lack of communication and organization. High rate of turnover means that few people have a very comprehensive understanding of the intricacies of their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people more so they will stick with the company and not leave as soon as they have experience.

DON'T BOTHER EVEN APPLYING UNLESS YOU KNOW SOMEONE!!!

R (Former Employee) Lansing, MI (US)

ProsGain experience. They reuse old buildings. It's a paycheck...

ConsHORRIBLE PAY
    Management is a joke.
    Managers micro manage, while treating employees like garbage. They let go of hard working individuals because management does not like them. Supervisors are overworked and under payed the same goes with lower employees. Raises are an insult. Benefits are way too expensive for what you get. They have meetings to tell the employees how much money they make but the employees are stuck making $8-11 an hour. There are employees who have been there for 10+ years and still don't see $10 an hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go of the majority of the manufacturing managers and start over. They are worthless.

Don't Drink the Punch

Chemist (Former Employee) Lansing, MI (US)

ProsIt's a steady paycheck and they have a company picnic once per year. It's in a park and you are encouraged to bring your own food. In addition to the picnic, many of the employees are great people.

Cons- Pay is embarrassingly low
    - New ideas are not considered
    - Extremely high turnover rate
    - Low company Moral
    - Facilities are not fit for manufacturing
    - Company does not compensate for a reasonable standard of living
    - Raises are nonexistent
    - Upper management does not recognize lower employees
    - Forced to work long hours when a large sale is made and not compensated for your extra efforts
    - Former manager worked Saturdays for 3 months in order to maintain manufacturing demands. Neogen rewarded my former manager with a $50 gift-card for 96 hours of weekend-work.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're not doing a good job.

Neogen

Sales (Current Employee) Lansing, MI (US)

ProsThe people I work with

ConsAdvancing a career within the company

Worked for Neogen? Contribute to the Community!