NetApp

NetApp Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens

Tom Georgens

Pros:
  • "It's a place where you feel you can make a difference without sacrificing your work-life balance"
    in 90 reviews
  • "NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row"
    in 70 reviews
Cons:
  • "The manager sets the tone for the group in terms of culture and work/life balance"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Stagnation at middle management layer; Alignment issues at senior management layer"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great

TSE (Current Employee)
Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at NetApp full-time for less than a year

ProsA good company to work for. Good work life balance and training.

ConsLots to learn and the learning curve is steep but worthwhile. Could be managed better

change is not always good

I have been working at NetApp full-time

ProsGreat colleagues, very fast paced and access to a lot of knowledge through on the job training

ConsHeavy workloads, long hours of work, significant higher management decisions are made based on just costs with great implications on employees work life balance and reduced level of service with managerial decisions to outsource

Advice to Senior Managementstop cost cuts, invest in classroom training and employee incentives

Great People

Recruiter (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat People, nice place to work overall, but that is about it. Company is not well balance between Sales and rest of the organisation, if you are outside sales be prepare to work 12 to 14 hour days, daily.

ConsOutside sales, be prepare to work extremely hard and long hours. Nearly all resources go into Sales headcount.
The product is 1 dimensional and company is pretty flat, all the best people are leaving.
NetApp have wasted their opportunity in the market place which they work hard to get too 3 to 4 years ago.

Advice to Senior Managementlittle the company is on a downward spiral, failure to innovate and acquire the right technologies / companies.

Great place to work, just going through a little rough patch

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at NetApp full-time for more than a year

ProsVery supportive SE management team who are genuinely interested in hiring quality people and developing talent.
Very liberal work-home life balance - work from home at your own discretion when not required for face-to-face meetings. Doctors, Dentist appointments etc come out of work time with no questions asked.
Every company has some bad eggs, but at NetApp the people are of a generally high calibre, a pleasure to work with and you can rely upon them. This is something I've really struggled to find elsewhere.
Expenses are very liberal with SEs like me actively encouraged to entertain customers / partners to build our own relationships in social environments.
Lots of opportunities for progression and active participation in anything you find that doesn't fall under the remit of your day job.

ConsThere has been a higher than normal level of attrition in the past 12-24 months with several long standing employees leaving. Reasons for this vary with no common theme. Some cite the change of NetApp from a small company to a big one with the influx of too much bureaucracy and process. I personally think this just brings a different type of challenge and it might mean we need different types of people to overcome it.
Financial packages are generally not quite as high as you probably could get elsewhere if you are a high achiever.
SE management is currently in a state of transition and trying to figure out what it wants to be. There is some frustration in the business about the slow reactions of this management team and the fact that they are all people managers rather than technical leaders.
There is a major product transition going on at NetApp as we take customers from 7-mode to Clustered Data ONTAP and it is creating a lot of pain for both customers and field sales. The corporate message is that the destination is worth the journey and if I put my hand on my heart I think it is, but it still makes it stressful sometimes when you're the one having to make that journey day in day out.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the SE management team, make sure we continue to hire only the best people. The standard of individual we bring in is the base from which we build all our differentiation. Everyone coming in needs to continue to be exceptional.
To the wider organisation, as we grow it's important to make sure that internal processes and tools take into account the views of the field. Some areas of the business are better than others at this but in too many cases there are people in the field getting frustrated because they work with tools / processes that they feel don't support the way they need to work. As we grow this becomes harder and harder but it's paramount that we continue to do this.

NetApp is struggling with its transition to a mature, "big company" culture.

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAmazingly maintained gross margins. Effort put in to "a great place to work." Technology that you can win with. Good education system and good communication within the company. Slowing yet still strong revenue growth.

ConsCulture is turning into a "big company" with Fiefdoms developing and more and more politics. Management is making the fatal mistake of attributing NetApp's success to their own actions feeding a significant and growing ego problem with the decision makers. Significant defections in the technical ranks to companies like: Whiptail, Isilon/EMC, Atlantis Computing, X-IO, Pure Storage, Nimbus, TinTri, and even VMware.

Advice to Senior ManagementNetApp is still behind in the move to scale-out storage. Even though the present marketing push to C-Mode may help it is likely too late. NetApp may need to move from market share acquisition to market share preservation. Perhaps, it is time to aggressively move toward the EMC model and buy your next-generation technology.

Not the same company it was a few years ago

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at NetApp

ProsNetApp as a company is great (but there's a sense that NetApp UK isn't really part of that company - we're more like a subsiduary).
There's plenty of work to keep you busy - There's always something that needs doing, and generally management keep pushing work onto people until they push back or quit. While many have left recently, there are still some very smart people here.

ConsChronic underinvestment in the whole UK business.
Office facilities are appauling (not enough parking, one very unreliable coffee machine shared by about 60 people, often have to queue to use the toilet etc).
There's simply not enough pre-sales guys to support the sales reps, and as a result the pre-sales management have been trying to offload as much stuff from their pre-sales guys as possible.
Over time this has lead to a pre-sales team which now has almost no technical knowledge. They can't perform a demo, they can't size a solution, they can't even talk for more than 5 minutes about core products & features. As a result, its become more of a struggle for an SE to actually convince a customer to buy anything, so instead they rely on the Consulting SE (CSE) team (which is 5 guys for the whole of the UK) to do all that stuff.
So basically, 5 people are doing all the actual presales work, and the SE team pretty much just organise meetings & conference calls.
Oh, and employees are gradually being treated worse and worse. It seems like the "great place to work" results are thrown around constantly by senior management to try and fool people into thinking this is a great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a pre-sales team of SEs that are so stretched, and so unmotivated that they have to rely on CSEs and PSCs for pretty much everything.
And, when an SE shows a desire to learn something, to perform a demo themsevles etc, then you should reward that behaviour (not ignore it as happens too often currently).
When a CSE doesn't run a mile at the thought of doing something hands on, then you should not penalise their can-do attitude by making it their responsibility to do all the hands on stuff that once upon a time the SEs used to do.

It's all well and good reconising sales reps who reach their target, but you have to recognise the people that helped that sales rep discover, work & close those opportunities - and you have to invest in those people at least in line with your investment in sales reps if you expect to sustainably grow the business.

Great place to work. As much work as you want/can do.

Professional Services Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at NetApp

ProsI've never worked with a more intelligent, hard work group of people before. Management is not afraid to make decisions. Overall the best job I've held so far.

ConsThe are the regular problems such as people who are jerks and permitted to behave so as they are still productive.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some more time ensuring that products are being deployed in the field with sufficient Q/A. Improve the ability of employees to support products with better tools.

Best place I've worked at so far in my career.

Professional Services Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at NetApp

ProsMy coworkers at NetApp are probably the smartest group of employees I've ever had the fortune of working with. People who underperform tend not to stick around or are driven off. It's also probably the first place I've worked where the HR department isn't useless.

ConsThe hours are extremely long and there is a lot of time spent catching up with customers to respond to questions or resolve their problems. As the consultants are mostly based from home, there isn't a lot of camraderie amongst us. You often go for long periods of time without seeing your coworkers. A lot of time is spent on conference calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are doing a good job. Keep it up.

Fun and supports innovation

I have been working at NetApp full-time

ProsGet things done attitude rocks,
Very friendly and fun environment,
Opportunity to grow

ConsTest environment and development framework internally developed which does not help personal growth

High Performers

Engagement Manager (Former Employee)
Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople are very focused on success, success is very well congratulated.
No deal is off the table if you can sell the idea of it, you are left to drive your own business.

ConsA little ambiguous in the way you need to run your own show. Management are very focused on forward looking and ensuring that numbers are met which is fair enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more matrix management to ensure that communication flows are a little more pronounced so as to remove ambiguity.

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!

NetApp Videos

NetApp – Why Work for Us?

At NetApp, your expertise is what drives our growing success NetApp is the ideal place to give your career a boost. Our global setting highly values and fosters a healthy and happy work-life balance. Plus, our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NetApp reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for NetApp CEO Tom Georgens. All 920 reviews are posted anonymously by NetApp employees.