Netflix

Netflix Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings

Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true(in 29 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover(in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are(in 17 reviews)

Mistake of a lifetime. Total career suicide. Hillsboro

Csr1 (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR (US)

ProsPaydays, quitting time, seeing your superiors fail.

ConsHow about...an unspoken policy of fear, day in, day out. Managers that are ignorant, uneducated, selfish, and stupid. Oh, and flunkie "team supervisors" that get promoted to the position only because they know how to suck up and let themselves get abused by management...Oh, there was so much more. This is flat-out the WORST company I've ever worked for. They laid me off because of my "call time average" was 7 seconds, yes...SECONDS, over their silly weekly limit. In reality, they laid me off because I was 50, and have medical problems. Oh, I hope I live to see the day when someone sues the hell out of them. I just can't wait. I have never wanted for a company to fail, but I want them to.

Advice to Senior ManagementReed, pay attention, you little weasel. Why don't you sell this company so someone with someone with a soul can run it. Are we clear? You, Dude, SUCK!!!!

Customer Service Training

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsThey are very hard to please. Hard to maintain good numbers when the service is the issue.

ConsI have nothing to add.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Nice while it lasted, not everything it is cut out to be.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLunch, brand that people are aware of.

ConsManagement overall is quite bad. Most people get promoted to the role based on seniority, not on actual ability to lead and mentor others.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No place like it!

QC, Digital Supply Chain (Former Employee) Los Gatos, CA (US)

ProsWorked with a great team; scrupulous attention to quality; great opportunities to stretch one's wings and pursue new skills; great food.

ConsInconsistencies within the workplace and the "culture deck." Loss of excellent team members when projects ended or were terminated.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink the "Expect to be laid off" mentality; Retraining team members who could have been co-opted into new projects could give Netflix new vitality

Excellent

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) Los Gatos, CA (US)

ProsProductive culture that embraces new technology and gives you the ability to make decisions. Company makes you want to always do better, faster.

ConsPeople in high ranking positions that are smart but can't manage. This results in high turnover and exceptional people leaving. There are several Directors/VP's that have no management experience. This really hurts the organization. Keep Beverly Hills in Beverly Hills. Content is not the same as Engineering.

Advice to Senior ManagementReevaluate Talent Team and Leadership. Do research when filling high-level positions. Just because someone is smart, doesn't mean that they can lead.

Culture of fear...and (possibly) loathing

ProsRelative to some Bay Area companies, Netflix pays about 10% to 20% better. Meaning, if you're unqualified, you'll get better pay than someone who is more qualified doing the same job in another Bay Area company. Altho, I hear this is changing and Netflix will only give you a raise if you can find someone in the Bay Area with the exact title and responsibilities who make more. Contrary to the buzz about Netflix being a tech innovator, it's become a "Hollywood" company. What drives Netflix is the Netflix "produced" shows; not the "innovative" streaming technology - Hollywood runs Netflix; not Los Gatos.

ConsSince many people are only at Netflix for the higher than average salary, there is a culture of fear whereby people are constantly worried about their employment status in the company and will, unfortunately, submit to their baser instincts to do whatever it takes to keep their job. As for a high-performing culture, I guess it's relative but I've worked with much much more talented people elsewhere. Netflix is a great place if you are average and are able to keep upper management for figuring out that you are just average and are willing to do whatever it takes to keep up that facade. It's a less than ideal place if you are truly innovative and want to do amazing "new" things. Again, the new thing at Netflix is producing new shows; not technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've done a great job of positioning Netflix as a high-performing place so that those who don't work at Netflix believe this to be the case, now, live up to this which is much harder said than done.

Sr. Weblogic Architect

Senior Weblogic Architect (Former Employee) Los Gatos, CA (US)

ProsNice company to work with NetFlix. No body compete salary in the Bay Area. Good Environment. You will get nice free lunch every day.

ConsNetflix have to improve from Management Side..

Great company to work for

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Los Gatos, CA (US)

ProsAmazing experience, very competitive salary, great office space cutting edge technologies.
    If you like fast moving environment and challenging task then this is a place for you. Company treats employees like adults

ConsSometimes environment is moving too fast. Unlimited vacation policy does not work in few cases. Be ready to get support calls in the middle of the night.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot really

Over matrixed under thought out

Senior Supervisor (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR (US)

ProsFast paced, energetic place to work. The compensation was great, and the tools at our disposal were more than adequate to build and retain strong teams.

ConsTo much reliance on matrix and not enough on individuality that empowers employees to do great things. While we had great tools, were were not given the autonomy to use them effectively. Good people had to be let go for arbitrary reasons, and other that should move on are kept.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward creativity, relax a wee bit, and never ever hire more people than you really need. Doing so creates problems down the road that are not good for anyone.

Great company with a big let down on a management decision

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat environment, and abundance of smart people, great managers,

Conssome management decisions can be made without proper research.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't allow outside influences affect how you hire...

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!