Netflix

Updated 18 November 2014
3.7

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Work atmosphere is awesome with lot of freedom and responsibility (in 30 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

160 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

An incredible environment that will definitely make you grow as a professional

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Netflix for 3 years. As most of reviews say, it is incredible to see how open and honest the culture is. The company is still pretty flat for its size, and you can feel your impact on initiatives you work on. Development moves very fast and our cycles are short and iterative. Multiple 6-month long projects in other companies get out the door in a matter of a few weeks.

I definitely feel like reviews on Glassdoor do not make justice to the Netflix environment. Yes, there is a lot of work, but I do not feel people get let go all the time, or that anyone would feel scared of being fired without reason. People do not get let go without fair warning. Everyone I know that has been let go so far saw it coming and recognizes it is the best for both them and the company. I find it hard to believe sometimes we have to overcome people's fears in that aspect. And newcomers realize very fast there is a myth and feel great to have joined.

In short, it is a remarkable, fair and candid company and I am thrilled to have joined and I plan to go nowhere in the next 5 years.

Cons

I agree there is no career plan or defined development, but then again, this translates into a lot of freedom to forge your own path. Plus, people who are hired are usually senior, so I feel there is less of a need for a strict career plan. When you work at Netflix, you are exposed to so much that it is easy to explain why you grow so much in a short period of time.

One of the biggest fears within the company is that our amazing culture gets diluted as we grow, so it is important to continue investing to keep the culture alive.

Netflix knows what they want you to do and how to let you do it

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The QA department when I was there was small and friendly. They give you plenty of flexibility to do the job the way it needs to be done without lots of micromanagement.

Cons

Not a lot of job security or advancement potential. If you can't produce the kind of results they're looking for you won't last long, and even if you do you probably won't move up much unless you really really want to.

A roller coaster ride of excitement and stress

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent salary, smart people, great time flexibility, satisfying projects. The company values of freedom and responsibility are really like treating employees like adults and trusting them to execute the best overall decisions for the company, which is effective when enough context is given. Innovation and experimentation is rewarded well and many opportunities for ongoing education are offered.

Cons

Internal politics. Lots of blame game behavior played as subtly (yet transparently if you pay attention) as possible. Some managers spend too much time in the code instead of managing their team. I had the experience of offering many recommendations for improving team performance and not having them implemented because the culture here is to just do what you want and either get rewarded hugely or sacked. Management coaching appears to be improving, but inconsistently applied. I've seen people who need to be let go stay on for a long time with many opportunities to change and people who were very competent let go without much warning that they need to change something. I've also seen projects executed that solved the business problems presented but were dropped because management didn't like it rather than some other specific reasons.

Management is not about process, I think Netflix has that correct. Excellent management is about getting problems out of the way of employees so that they can excel and about managing interpersonal conflicts so that a team can leverage one another's strengths to push the team higher than before. I think this element is missing on some teams at Netflix and that there is too much emphasis on daily high performance (important) and little building of loyalty or camaraderie.

Great place to work if you are driven

Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very collaborative environment, great colleagues, great pay, people are adults.

Cons

You have to be self-driven and proactive to get trained, and a lot of training is on the job, but this is by design.

My time at Netflix

Former Employee - Quality Control in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Control in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Netflix was very kind to me. The environment was very friendly and relaxed. They cared about my health by providing a healthy salad lunch on a daily basis and a well stocked snack room.

Cons

My biggest complaint was that I could not work there for a lengthier time. They were flexible with my real life emergencies and situation. The leadership listened and understood any concerns I may have had.

I hope you guys kept doing what you were doing.

Coordinator

Current Employee - Coordinator in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work, shuttle, food and respectful professional co-workers. Deliverables are realistic and my manager is very supportive.

Cons

I support a lot of people and sometimes the environment can be stressful. So far, everything is manageable.

Great place to work, but not for everyone

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Little to no micromanagement. Control and ownership of software components you are responsible for. Exceptional compensation. Incredible vacation policy.

Cons

Not for everyone - developers who like working independently and without much guidance will thrive here. Developers who are used to being given specific assignments and lots of structure might crash and burn (and get fired). Extremely stressful working situations at times as you will be responsible for a lot and might not have backup, and potential for very long hours. If you don't have the courage to ask for your vacations you might not get any (no formal vacation policy).

Finding the right balance between an unstructured work environment and micromanaging everything is hard, but it's possible that management at NFLX keeps things too much on the unstructured site.

Best Company I have worked at!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Freedom & Responsibility Culture
    - Almost zero politics
    - No Employee Reviews (Hire & keep the best)
    - High Quality co-workers

Cons

- Not much except that towards the end, had a useless manager

It's not "if" you will be let go, it's "when".

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leeway to learn and gain experience with diverse technology.
    Pay was above market.
    Work with fantastic people.
    Free subscription & good "product".

Cons

People are treated like toilet paper. It is not a "family", this is true, but it is not a "team", either. The group I worked in processed hires & fires access rights: I have never seen so many people fired, without warning, while they were ON vacation - leaving our group to receive and deal with calls from confused people (some of them Directors of hubs), who returned ready for work to no access and no information on what was happening.
    Lousy communication between groups.
    Excessively High turnover - instead of leveraging employee knowledge & experience - people are overworked, used up, & thrown out like trash - the alumni group should read "NETFLIX PTSD Group".
    80 hr work week *minimum*.
    No work-life balance.
    I had 4 managers in 1year of employment & the entire team I was on was replaced during that time and (you guessed it) one of the most awesome employees was fired while he was *ON* vacation: *THAT* was extremely awkward, as he was stellar...it was just a regime change.

As if they care what former employees think: Treat people like human beings and show some basic respect. Have *meaningful* employee-management meetings and encourage open communication instead of the "keep doing what you're doing" until people are blindsided by termination.

Stay Away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good "brand" for your resume, I guess. Outsiders will be impressed, if only because the PR machine has been in overdrive convincing people that this is still an innovative company. But a stock price bubble does not equal innovation.

Cons

Most of the honest reviews on here (meaning those not written by HR) have already covered it, but it's a terrible place to work - a pressure-cooker environment full of overpaid but insecure bosses who manage through fear and intimidation. Crazy high turnover in every group, lots of good people getting pushed out all the time by their managers. Then those people are blamed and insulted once they're gone and unable to defend themselves. The company also stopped innovating long ago. The salary, though substantial, is not worth it, especially when you see the C-level insiders routinely cashing out millions in shares like thieves in the night. Hmmm, what do they know that everyone else doesn't? Look elsewhere - there are many other more humane, ethical, and socially rewarding places to get paid well...like Wall Street.

Keep selling as many shares as possible before the Wall Street lemmings finally figure you guys out. You have done a great job of this so far.