Netflix Reviews

Updated 18 September 2014
3.6

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true (in 29 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work, but not for everyone

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Little to no micromanagement. Control and ownership of software components you are responsible for. Exceptional compensation. Incredible vacation policy.

Cons

Not for everyone - developers who like working independently and without much guidance will thrive here. Developers who are used to being given specific assignments and lots of structure might crash and burn (and get fired). Extremely stressful working situations at times as you will be responsible for a lot and might not have backup, and potential for very long hours. If you don't have the courage to ask for your vacations you might not get any (no formal vacation policy).

Finding the right balance between an unstructured work environment and micromanaging everything is hard, but it's possible that management at NFLX keeps things too much on the unstructured site.

Best Company I have worked at!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Freedom & Responsibility Culture
    - Almost zero politics
    - No Employee Reviews (Hire & keep the best)
    - High Quality co-workers

Cons

- Not much except that towards the end, had a useless manager

Best company I've worked for

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Pretty much the whole cultural deck - highlights are compensation, no micromanagement and the vacation policy.

Cons

I honestly don't have any big complaints about working here.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's not "if" you will be let go, it's "when".

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leeway to learn and gain experience with diverse technology.
    Pay was above market.
    Work with fantastic people.
    Free subscription & good "product".

Cons

People are treated like toilet paper. It is not a "family", this is true, but it is not a "team", either. The group I worked in processed hires & fires access rights: I have never seen so many people fired, without warning, while they were ON vacation - leaving our group to receive and deal with calls from confused people (some of them Directors of hubs), who returned ready for work to no access and no information on what was happening.
    Lousy communication between groups.
    Excessively High turnover - instead of leveraging employee knowledge & experience - people are overworked, used up, & thrown out like trash - the alumni group should read "NETFLIX PTSD Group".
    80 hr work week *minimum*.
    No work-life balance.
    I had 4 managers in 1year of employment & the entire team I was on was replaced during that time and (you guessed it) one of the most awesome employees was fired while he was *ON* vacation: *THAT* was extremely awkward, as he was stellar...it was just a regime change.

As if they care what former employees think: Treat people like human beings and show some basic respect. Have *meaningful* employee-management meetings and encourage open communication instead of the "keep doing what you're doing" until people are blindsided by termination.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Freedom & Responsibility culture. Everyone in the company knows the company's direction well. We are responsible for helping the company move to the right direction and we are free to choose how to help the company.
    * Transparency. The management team spends time with everyone in the company explaining how the company operates.

Cons

* No training program. You are on your own to improve your technique skills.

I hope that the top management get more feedbacks from everyone in the company. We are a very focused company. However we may find another big thing if we spend some resources on innovative ideas, which do not match the company's focus.

Ok place to work. Very little training.

Former Employee - IT Dispacher  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - IT Dispacher in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Very tech savvy environment. Everyone gets a cell phone when hired including contractors. Lots of technical goodies to play with. Launch day parties were cool. Most people seemed laid back. Unlimited vacation.

Cons

Very little training for the job, with minimal direction. I felt like I was just thrown in and expected to swim.

More training and support for the employees. More structure.

Great summer job.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

As much as the customers could be awful sometimes, Netflix really tried to make us happy. The supervisors were very hands on, and always there to help. My team of co-workers were very helpful too. We were always in group chats discussing issues. There were always contests going around, and fresh fruits in the break rooms.

Cons

The only con really is that you don't get to choose your hours. You may get stuck with the overnight shift, or working all weekend days. They do pay you more for those hours though.

Very fast paced ,exciting new technologies, pioneers

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

No micromanagement
    Get work done - with the Freedom and Responsibility attitude allows flexibility
    Need to be pro-active and self starters and constantly deliver

Cons

might be intimidating for anyone not used to working at the fast demanding pace

Loved the transparency and the faith execs had on each one of us - making us feel we belonged

Horrible place to work, on every level

Former Employee - Digital Account Specialist  in  Beverly Hills, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Digital Account Specialist in Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

The salary is good. Pretty much nothing else.

Cons

I was constantly fearful for my job and stressed out of my mind every day I came to work. Bosses were willing to lie and cover up their own errors to save their jobs. Lots of cold, heartless managers with no outside interests, no families - nothing but Netflix in their lives. Married people beware - when you interview there, ask about how Netflix feels about the "3 B's" - Babies, Birthdays and Brides (spoiler alert: they don't want to hear anything about them). Although some employees had dogs, so they had that going for them. I got into a disagreement with my manager and was fired soon thereafter. But it was for the best - I had tried to get pregnant for over a year while at Netflix but was so miserable and depressed it never happened. Less than a year after leaving this hellhole my husband and I welcomed a beautiful new baby girl. So this is probably a Pro - thank you Netflix for helping me and my family bring a little 'B' into this world, and thank you for making me realize that there are more things to life than big salaries and delusional arrogance, posturing and self-promotion. Hopefully the rest of your employees will one day see the light.

Retire.

Miserable

Former Employee - Technical Support  in  Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Starting wage was decent and the weekly pay (through the temp agency) made budgeting easy.
    Subscription perks were a feature (free discs and streaming, max package).

Cons

Being lied to about converting from temp employees to actual Netflix employees, having the conversion scheduled then canceled, not willing to take into account the general unhappiness of the customer and thus terminating good employees.

Treat your employees with respect and follow through on your promises.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!