New York & Company

Updated 15 October 2014
2.4

New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott
Gregory Scott

Pros
  • For the most part, you get your employee discount along with the in store promotion (in 22 reviews)

• Offers a great discount and flexible schedule as well (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Management harass associates about opening credit cards because they obtain a bonus, we do not (in 59 reviews)

• Work/life balance is quite possibly the worst I've ever encountered (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Wasn't a bad place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee discount was alright. Could pick up additional shifts. Training for non seasonal workers wasn't rushed.

Cons

High turnover. Short shifts. Had to repeatedly push Credit Card to customers- couldn't stop with 1 "no" needed to get 3 from the same person before we could leave them alone. I always met my credit goals each shift but other sales associates that didn't had their hours cut. Seasonal workers didn't really know what they were doing since they lacked real training.

Pestering customers about the Credit Card gets old for everyone. Most part time employees aren't able to do it in a way that's not off-putting to the customer.

Awesome place and friendly and family oriented atmosphere

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedules, plenty of hours, if you work hard you get what you deserve.

Cons

A little drama here and there but then again where isn't there?

Other than a few plays of favoritism I wouldn't change the people or how the place is ran. It's a great store with an awesome team. Keep doing what you guys do.

Love the clothes, hate the politics

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS (US)

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great clothes, flexible schedule, and good way to get retail experience

Cons

Coupons! It is a nightmare to work during any sale or promotion.

Corporate needs to give the stores tools to be successful. Updated registers that can handle transactions, more pay for qualified employees, and better incentives for hitting goals.

Hostile manager and never ending credit card sale demands

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

None. There are none. Nada.

Cons

Hostile manager, ugly clothing, annoying cheap customers, and never ending demands to sell company credit cards. Customers, naturally, didn't like to be pushed into buying them.

Stop the pressure on employees to sell credit cards.

Communication needs improvement.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Regional Manager is very nice, and friendly made me feel as if I was truly apart of the NYCO family. She totally trusted all of my inputs and my thoughts on merchandising and operations. Talked to me as if were a colleague instead of her employee. Worked with me one on one to get more merchandise out from back stock to sales floor.

Great discounts and great PTO time.

Cons

Manager directs from office and not the sales floor; no communication between managers. Questions and concerns are not handled instead we are referred to the "survival guide" rather than being dealt with in person. There is not a culture of mentoring or taking the opportunity to teach and coach in order to improve the team.

Respectful and effective communication is key in a business environment. Management that is supportive and has an interest in coaching in the moment will have a productive and successful team. Sensitive coaching moments should not be handled on the sales floor in front of customers or store staff.

Not worth your time, associates and managers are both treated horribly. No loyalty to the employees

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brick, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brick, NJ (US)

I worked at New York & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits for managers, the work for visual is all laid out by the company so basically you just have to follow the plans they give you.

Cons

Barely any hours for the associates, the employees are treated like they're worthless and the company shows them zero loyalty even after the employees have given a lot to the company. A majority of stores don't receive the necessary clothes for floorsets and the company bears down on anyone who have to improvise.

Get your act together, treat your employees well and show them you really appreciate what they do for your company. Also, don't harp on getting credit so much, maybe if your clothes were worth the price and you didn't accept EVERY single piece of clothing people brought back, you wouldn't need to try and push your card so much.

I loved it there

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

time off, benefits, employees, customers were all great! great place to work

Cons

promotions were limited with in the region

keep doing what you're doing! it is working!

New York, New York!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA (US)

I worked at New York & Company part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work, Can Advance quickly through the position.

Cons

Not enough hours and pay isn't great.

Be More organized with your shipping and safety to staff, some stores don't even have air conditioning. Shipping boxes stacked everywhere at back and can hardly move and is a fire hazard.

New York & Company was a great summer job but nothing long-term, it's gets frustrating after awhile.

Former Employee - Cashier in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Alexandria, VA (US)

I worked at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was great and the sales discount wasn't so bad. I wouldn't complain about having enough hours for the week and you were able to connect with the managers if working everyday.

Cons

Not enough employees and working random late hours. There was a list full of employees yet not enough people working with the run backs, register, dressing room, and in the back.

Love it!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The associates are fabulous people, the customers are quite tame for the usual mall-goers, great benefits/discounts, customer service comes naturally, and managers are all extremely fun and flexible. The initial hourly pay is over minimum wage, which was also unexpected. Training was quite easy and the POS programs were extremely easy to navigate on the registers.

Cons

Barely any hours for part-time associates unless people resigned/were fired.

New York & Company Photos