NewPage

www.newpagecorp.com

NewPage Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014
NewPage – Miamisburg – “NewPage corp HQ”

George F. Martin

Great company to work for in Business Development in a ever changing industry

Business Development Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Leadership
    Innovative thinking
    Outstanding Mills
    Training is stellar

ConsThe main difficulty is the industry itself. There are so many companies merging, collapsing, and you never know when it will affect you.

Great company, crappy industry

Director Finance (Current Employee) Dayton, OH (US)

Prosinformal, but hardworking culture; respectful, candid communication

Consindustry in decline. too many competitors, too little demand. Not enough liquidity to innovate

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovate into different applicaitons

Good company, tough industry

ProsFlexible with a strong work/family balance. Organization generally does what is best for their employees. Benefits and compensation are probably slightly above average.

Operations are some of the best in the US and provide quality product that is recognized throughout North America.

ConsBeing acquired by a competitor who has no idea what they are getting into. Very little faith in the new management, that they will have what it takes to run the company successfully.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Financial Health of New Page Always an Issue

Account Representative (Former Employee) Miamisburg, OH (US)

ProsGood starting salary, convenient location. The leadership was approachable.

ConsLimited opportunities due to constant layoffs with pending bankruptcy.

Great people. Struggling business.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dayton, OH (US)

ProsHonest, hard-working leaders who want the business to succeed. Lean Six Sigma (LSS) program provides development opportunities for some of the organization.

ConsAlways struggling financially thus not much investment in development for the masses. (LSS is the exception). Difficult to keep up morale with frequent downsizing.

If you are desperate enough to work here, GO IN WITH AN EXIT STRATEGY IN MIND

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Biron, WI (US)

ProsThe central Wisconsin mill locations were formerly Consolidated Papers and were known for their innovation and product quality. In addition, the mills were upgraded with the latest technologies so people could innovate. Those days are well behind them after the Stora Enso and subsequent NewPage acquisitions. I hope there's enough of Consolidated left after the debacle of NewPage that they can thrive in the future when unfettered by NewPage.

ConsThe Miamisburg Senior Leaders are arrogant and narcissistic. They came into this acquisition thinking they could do a quick flip and make lots of $$$, then got caught in the market and their own arrogance of not understanding the customers and markets. The central Wisconsin locations have multiple unions, with poor labor contracts. The contracts blanket the mill locations, so change is difficult. Management is unsupported by local HR, who have low skill levels and appear to only be concerned about themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet's not waste our time, they are too arrogant to heed any advice.

Avoid at all costs.

Management (Former Employee) Miamisburg, OH (US)

ProsCO-workers
    wages
    benefits
    local management is very knowlegeable and strong but hands are tied by self serving upper mgt.

ConsNewPage purchased StoraEnso in 2008. Their management is arrogant and self serving. They have hidden agenda and flat out lie to employees. Most of those working their like the $$ but hate the company.

They went bankrupt in 2011 and treated many long time employees poorly. They are cutthroat.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign before you run the place bankrupt again.

Good experience

Product Manager (Current Employee) Miamisburg, OH (US)

ProsGood people and company culture

ConsPaper industry shrinking and company being bought out.

Long Hours

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation was Ok Old leaderhip

ConsNo Advancement very much who you know there

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the mills The place is falling apart

Terrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Rumford, ME (US)

ProsGood pay for the region.
    Decent work life balance

ConsMurky standards by which your performance is measured.
    No empowerment - very much a "yes-man" work environment
    Terrible management. Its Comprised of individuals who either due to lack of interpersonal skills or of mobility ( deep roots in the area) cannot leave. They seem angry a lot of the time, lack vision, bitter and just generally unhappy. In turn this leads to a toxic work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your employees. Many on the ground level are extremely hard working, talented people who if given the chance can come up with idea to save the company a lot of money.
    Live up to your corporate creed of "Candid Communication" instead of creating an atmosphere where honest communication is discouraged.

Worked for NewPage? Contribute to the Community!