Newport

Be The First To
Add Photos

Newport President, CEO, and Director Robert J. Phillippy

Robert J. Phillippy

Nice size company, with good product and industry diversity.

Senior Field Service Engineer (Former Employee)
Longmont, CO (US)

I worked at Newport full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNewport is involved in many different industries, and offers diverse opportunities for different disciplines. The leadership is always looking toward future growth and expansion.

ConsSince some of the markets Newport serves are cyclical or volatile, some divisions or positions can be vulnerable to market trends.

A great company with lots of potentials, but lacks good management to thrive

I have been working at Newport full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIndustrial leader in many advanced technologies.
Lots of experts with many years of experience that are willing to teach.
Relax working atmospheres on most days. Good balance between work and personal life.
Competitive 401K matching.

Cons20% of the employees accomplish 80% of the work.
Divisions do not easily share resources due to conflict of interests.
Very little room for career advancement.
Below market average in terms of compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many mid-level managers. Set long term goals instead of focusing on short term profit.

A company with no strategy, struggling to remake it's identity, poor prospects for organic growth

I worked at Newport full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits package is good and competitive with other companes

ConsCompany is acting more like a holding company than a cohesive business. Poor integration of recent acquisitions particularly in creating a coordinated sales force. Overlapping product lines and internal competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a 5 year plan and implement it, focus on core competencies,

Disappointing

I worked at Newport full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompetitive benefits and compensation. Internal training and cross training. Casual dress code. Flexibility with regard to meal breaks and shift start and finish times.

ConsPreferential treatment with regard to promotion policies. Favoritism. Unfair review and disciplinary practices. Some employees held to stricter standards than others. Lay offs usually restricted to hourly workers. Salaried employees got to keep their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about the people more than profit and maybe you'll have more loyal and happier employees.

Maybe a good place to work, depends on which div and re-org one works under; don't expect loyalty.

Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at Newport full-time

ProsFree coffee. On-site cafeteria. Pay & severance policy are reasonable. 401k match, health benefits, life & long-term disability insurance are good. 10 holidays per year; good vacation plan for tenured employees, if one can survive. NPO’s Optical Manufacturing Engineering department has strong leadership and skilled engineers. Some technicians are highly skilled.

ConsThe NPO division reorganizes management about every 5 years, currently suffers from nepotism, and is a hostile work environment for those that are not friends or relatives of its management. Optical fab dept management and coating dept technical leadership lack interpersonal skills and practical working knowledge of English; their written communication skills leave one trying to interpret the gist of messages, except the thinly veiled attempts of public humiliation. Experienced techs (not family or old friends of management) are treated with little respect and are in constant fear of being written up or let go. Dedicated & qualified managers, support staff, and techs have been discarded while others remain who destroy morale and poison the well; the "good old boy network" is alive and well in NPO. Little investment in modernizing old equipment. Irvine is an expensive city to live in and is difficult to commute to.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire & promote leaders that have succeeded in prior businesses. Putting those in charge who have already failed a couple times does not inspire confidence with the workers.

Good company with room for advancement

I worked at Newport full-time

ProsGood benefits, room to grow, great co-workers.

ConsSometimes upper management hears only what they want and does not listen to the employee who actually knows the situation on the ground.

Great place to work.

Procurement (Former Employee)

I worked at Newport full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people, culture and work environment.

ConsChange is the name of the game.

Former employee

I worked at Newport

ProsGood entry level job. Veterans are usually willing to teach you the ropes. Education reimbursement.

ConsLack of opportunity for advancement. Employees stay in their positions for years which leaves no room for people underneath them to move up. Very little communication with upper management except for the annual review. No job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let your employees stagnate in their positions for years on end. This blocks new people from coming onboard and makes it unlikely for fresh ideas to be brought in.

Positive, experienced a lot of growth opportunities

I worked at Newport full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNeat technology, good engineering team

ConsCommunication and process needs improvement

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what you are, direction is not always clear

Company could be worse but you will eventually want to leave.

Technical Sales Engineer (Current Employee)
Santa Clara, CA (US)

I have been working at Newport full-time for more than 5 years

Pros401k match is great. The company is smaller so you get to know everyone. Generally good people.

ConsUpper management is horrible and the is almost no room for advancement. When you do get promoted they limit any pay raise to 5% rather than what the new title should pay. Pay seems below market average for all positions I held.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook up employee effectiveness and work on it.

Worked for Newport? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Newport reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Newport CEO Robert J. Phillippy. All 23 reviews are posted anonymously by Newport employees.