News Corp
www.newscorp.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

News Corp Reviews

Updated Apr 06, 2014
News Corp – New York – “View of the News Corporation headquarter office…”

News Corp Chairman and CEO K. Rupert Murdoch

K. Rupert Murdoch

News Corp Review

I worked at News Corp full-time

ProsGreat benefits, nice people (mostly young families)

ConsLike any large company that has been around for a long time, some upper management are stagnant and resistant to change. Not all, just some

Good experience but low wages

Sales Planner (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at News Corp full-time for more than a year

ProsNice building, easy to get to location, friendly co-workers

Conslow wages, no room for growth, understaffed

Advice to Senior Managementtraining programs needed, fight for good employees to get fair wages

Don't Work For This Company Unless You WaNT fAILURE...

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Boise, ID (US)

I worked at News Corp part-time for less than a year

ProsFew to none.... tHIS COMPANY WITH dIRECtv IS NOT A GOOD eXPERIENCE....

ConsAs reference to their DirecTV account, the initial training is adequate. But then they dump immediately into what they call "nesting", which is live calls with what is very minimal, and inadequate support. If you fail to meet their AHT (Average Handle Times). you are let go. I do not recommend this company under any circumstances...

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove your "nesting", and build a side-by_side program with an experienced agent. This will increase your new agent retention by an amazing amount...

Simple job, but I had a lot of fun

Master Control Operator (Current Employee)

I have been working at News Corp part-time for less than a year

ProsI enjoyed it in the case that the community sees something suspicious we will look into the issue and take appropriate action.

ConsI didn't really enjoy that in the case that the community sees something suspicious we will look into the issue and take appropriate action.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo enjoy!

Fear of Exceptionalism

New York, NY (US)

I worked at News Corp full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits are above industry standards, discretionary bonuses, decent vacation, unlimited sick.

ConsMicro-Management style, individualism not collaborative, culture of fear and intimidation, lack of resources, no upper mobility. rigid set of standards, refusal to consider different point of view, low employee moral, toxic culture, high turnover, inept people in management positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide your upper level management (EVP and Directors) with sensitivity training, management training should be given to those individuals who come into positions without the required supervisory skill set. High turnover should be a red flag and corrective action should be taken. Encourage an open door policy and feedback. Encourage innovation, thinking outside the box and hold everyone accountable for their actions including inept EVP and Directors.

Dynamic and ever changing place to work

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at News Corp full-time

ProsVery entrepreneurial environment that encourages risk taking.

ConsDecentralized systems and structure creates inefficiencies

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a happy medium between allowing companies the freedom to operate on their own while creating efficiencies for the overall company through better infrastructure and information sharing

Going downhill quickly

Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at News Corp full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMajor brands, leading position in Australia, some smart people. Some growth left in some of the digital businesses like Moshtix or The Australian.

ConsMajor budget cuts, revenue declines, plenty of fear in the organisation. News historically was in a position of strength and you could count on developing a solid career there. Now, many of the more interesting business are only loosely affiliated (Fox Sports, Foxtel) and the core newspaper business is in a state of managed decline.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture of honesty and communication under Harto seems to have disappeared. It may be too late to get that back, but it's worth trying.

great

I have been working at News Corp

Prosbranding is very, very strong.

Consi can't think of any cons.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work across all of the businesses domestically and internationally. we are a wonderful media company and doesn't look for constant praise.

At Fox employees tend to bounce from one competitor to another and/or back to advance in career.

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at News Corp

ProsProfessional work environment, decent benefits and holiday pay.

ConsThey bought MySpace for a few hundred million $ more than they should...and there are many more horrible decisions made by the top brass. If only they had better programs for current employees to grow and develop it would be a better place to work instead of having to always bounce from one competitor to another to advance or obtain more rewarding pay. Otherwise the company isn't eager provide salary increases or bonuses that are more typical at other fortune 500 companies.

as an independent contractor with a lot of experience I was given a chance to shine and meet my potential

Reporter (Current Employee)

I have been working at News Corp

ProsPRO
High per diem rate for independent contracting, good personal support from staff, but that may have to do with a high comfort level with reporting from outside the central office and rarely being embroiled in internal office politics. Turnover gives one a chance to move up. Young, friendly staff.
Billing issues resolved in a good manner that is as efficient as they can be, given that the office I work with has to deal with a central bureaucracy. They want to keep their stringers happy.

ConsA sclerotic view of institutional change, e.g. expansion, has made it difficult to understand why a 6 billion dollar publicly traded company can't commit to a new news bureau. Artistically, limited change in form of news story. Creative potential not 100% realized.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo to bat more to make the news programming more of what you believe in your heart it should be.

Worked for News Corp? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at News Corp reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for News Corp CEO K. Rupert Murdoch. All 36 reviews are posted anonymously by News Corp employees.