News Corp Reviews

Updated 2 September 2014
3.3

News Corp Chairman and CEO K. Rupert Murdoch
K. Rupert Murdoch

Simple job, but I had a lot of fun

Current Employee - Master Control Operator
    Current Employee - Master Control Operator

I have been working at News Corp part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed it in the case that the community sees something suspicious we will look into the issue and take appropriate action.

Cons

I didn't really enjoy that in the case that the community sees something suspicious we will look into the issue and take appropriate action.

To enjoy!

Don't Work For This Company Unless You WaNT fAILURE...

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Boise, ID (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boise, ID (US)

I worked at News Corp part-time for less than a year

Pros

Few to none.... tHIS COMPANY WITH dIRECtv IS NOT A GOOD eXPERIENCE....

Cons

As reference to their DirecTV account, the initial training is adequate. But then they dump immediately into what they call "nesting", which is live calls with what is very minimal, and inadequate support. If you fail to meet their AHT (Average Handle Times). you are let go. I do not recommend this company under any circumstances...

Remove your "nesting", and build a side-by_side program with an experienced agent. This will increase your new agent retention by an amazing amount...

Fear of Exceptionalism

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at News Corp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are above industry standards, discretionary bonuses, decent vacation, unlimited sick.

Cons

Micro-Management style, individualism not collaborative, culture of fear and intimidation, lack of resources, no upper mobility. rigid set of standards, refusal to consider different point of view, low employee moral, toxic culture, high turnover, inept people in management positions.

Provide your upper level management (EVP and Directors) with sensitivity training, management training should be given to those individuals who come into positions without the required supervisory skill set. High turnover should be a red flag and corrective action should be taken. Encourage an open door policy and feedback. Encourage innovation, thinking outside the box and hold everyone accountable for their actions including inept EVP and Directors.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dynamic and ever changing place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at News Corp full-time

Pros

Very entrepreneurial environment that encourages risk taking.

Cons

Decentralized systems and structure creates inefficiencies

Find a happy medium between allowing companies the freedom to operate on their own while creating efficiencies for the overall company through better infrastructure and information sharing

Going downhill quickly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at News Corp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Major brands, leading position in Australia, some smart people. Some growth left in some of the digital businesses like Moshtix or The Australian.

Cons

Major budget cuts, revenue declines, plenty of fear in the organisation. News historically was in a position of strength and you could count on developing a solid career there. Now, many of the more interesting business are only loosely affiliated (Fox Sports, Foxtel) and the core newspaper business is in a state of managed decline.

The culture of honesty and communication under Harto seems to have disappeared. It may be too late to get that back, but it's worth trying.

great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at News Corp

Pros

branding is very, very strong.

Cons

i can't think of any cons.

keep up the good work across all of the businesses domestically and internationally. we are a wonderful media company and doesn't look for constant praise.

At Fox employees tend to bounce from one competitor to another and/or back to advance in career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at News Corp

Pros

Professional work environment, decent benefits and holiday pay.

Cons

They bought MySpace for a few hundred million $ more than they should...and there are many more horrible decisions made by the top brass. If only they had better programs for current employees to grow and develop it would be a better place to work instead of having to always bounce from one competitor to another to advance or obtain more rewarding pay. Otherwise the company isn't eager provide salary increases or bonuses that are more typical at other fortune 500 companies.

as an independent contractor with a lot of experience I was given a chance to shine and meet my potential

Current Employee - Reporter  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Reporter in New York, NY (US)

Pros

PRO
    High per diem rate for independent contracting, good personal support from staff, but that may have to do with a high comfort level with reporting from outside the central office and rarely being embroiled in internal office politics. Turnover gives one a chance to move up. Young, friendly staff.
    Billing issues resolved in a good manner that is as efficient as they can be, given that the office I work with has to deal with a central bureaucracy. They want to keep their stringers happy.

Cons

A sclerotic view of institutional change, e.g. expansion, has made it difficult to understand why a 6 billion dollar publicly traded company can't commit to a new news bureau. Artistically, limited change in form of news story. Creative potential not 100% realized.

Go to bat more to make the news programming more of what you believe in your heart it should be.

you have to welll dessed as its media company. you can see lots of celebrities there.

Current Employee - Software Intern  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Software Intern in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at News Corp

Pros

Nice work culture, Good company and location is simply awesome.

Cons

you have to be smart, otherwise you will feel depressing. This is media company, so you need good presence of mind.

some times they dont treat you well. Its all depend on how much useful you are for them..

It is demanding but a nice environment to work in

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY (US)

I worked at News Corp

Pros

Competitive salary once you are full time and even temping

Cons

Highly demanding work load most of the time

Training policy could be improved

Worked for News Corp? Contribute to the Community!