Next Retail

Updated 16 January 2015
3.2

Next Retail CEO Simon Wolfson
Simon Wolfson

Pros
  • The staff discount was a great benefit and the people who worked there (in 16 reviews)

• 25% off after several weeks work is a good discount (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The shift patterns are 3 hour shifts for part timers and you can only work a maximum of 20 hours per week (in 3 reviews)

• Too strict, many changes in managers and no real prospects for promotion (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I enjoyed my time there

Former Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Liverpool, England
    Former Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Liverpool, England

I worked at Next Retail

Pros

My manager was understanding and everybody was easy to get on with.
    Team work was key so you were rarely blamed personally for targets not being met.
    Online system for rota and holidays which is very good.
    Holidays were almost always granted, and if not shift swaps or negotiations were allowed.
    Always opportunity for extra hours.

Cons

The role itself was very laborious and repetitive.

Christmas bonus should be more evenly spread across shop floor and stockroom workers.

It was okay, social life was affected due to unsociable hours.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire, Scotland
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire, Scotland

I worked at Next Retail part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very good salary and benefits including monthly bonus.

Cons

Management and how you weren't allowed to 'moan'.

Listen to your staff and help with their queries.

Very welcoming and friendly staff

I worked at Next Retail

Pros

Everyone was helpful and i new what was expected of me at all times, i was never lost whilst working for them.

Cons

Only i was only a temp and was not given enough shifts

Give more shifts out

Interesting

Current Employee - Trainee Merchandiser in Leicester, England
    Current Employee - Trainee Merchandiser in Leicester, England

I have been working at Next Retail full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people here are great. All lovely and fine to get on with, from the product systems teams to the kitchen staff, there's a great sense of camaraderie.

Cons

There is also a culture, particularly in product teams, to work inexplicably long hours. People regularly work 10-12 hour days because the workload is high. This would be understandable if there were certain weeks of the year where things slowed; but this isn't the case (with the exception of christmas)

If people seem overworked and drained from long hours, they probably are. A lot of departments could be vastly imporved if only they had an admin to free up more of their time to do their job.

It is hard at first but when you get used to it, it gets better.

I have been working at Next Retail

Pros

- Hours
    - Staff discount
    - people

Cons

- bonus is based on mystery shop results

Terrible - Bristol Cribbs Causeway Mall store

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bristol, England

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-You get 25% discount
    -Uniform allowance is very good
    -Products are very nice
    -Rota system is very good as you can view from home.

Cons

They are very manipulative, they will always step over your hours especially if you're under 18 as you are cheaper to bring in.

Higher Archy system is well set, if you're new or temporary you're treated like pure scum being given terrible jobs and spoken to like a degenerate.

Managers have no respect for other employees, and will always feel like they're having a go at you. (Only recently were they fighting in there Christmas party).

People who are there longer or more well known tend to be bullies and act like they're managers as they lounge around or flirt with other member of staffs.

You have no flexibility at all, if they give you a shift put of your availability you're expected to work it. Many people have quit working for next as they are failing A levels due to work load from next.

Customer are quite aggressive and annoying, on various occasions I have seen girls leaving shop floor crying due to horrible customers.

Stop acting like you're posh and all high and mighty. Take your employees feeling and thoughts in to considerations.

Surprisingly bad

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Next Retail

Pros

Discount.
    First dibs on Sale.
    Company has good reputation in general with the public.
    99% of customers are really pleasant.
    Having a nice, presentable uniform.
    Getting paid correctly so far, just over minimum wage.
    Paid induction.
    Really good online employee portal.
    Some staff members are nice (but after reading some reviews on here they are probably two faced; I hope not).

Cons

Being spoken to and patronised like a child, I have also learnt not to ask for help anymore, as you just get looked down on, treat like you're stupid and expected to know everything from the off, which makes you look stupid in front of the customers.
    I can't believe from the other reviews I've read that it happens in nearly every store, I expected better.
    Being ignored, dehydration, feeling useless most of the time.

Happy staff are much more important than you think.

Very interesting, Learnt a lot within Fashion Retail and have become highly knowledgeable in this sector of work.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Advisor in Lincoln, England
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Advisor in Lincoln, England

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great staff, Good learning product knowledge and the hours are flexible, a good first job and made great friends.

Cons

There is no progressions within the company personally and I feel your not rewarded very well for the efforts you put in.

Making training more priority as I had to teach myself at some points by watching other staff members with experience.

Good experience for customer service

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Train new people, good discount, good friends and support from colleagues and management, good flexibility of working hours if part time

Cons

Sale prep can be stressful but works out in the end

Worst job I've ever had.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Bournemouth, England
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Bournemouth, England

I worked at Next Retail full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is very little in terms of positives. The only thing I would say is that perhaps if you are at College or something looking for part-time hours, it's a good way to get a taste of the lower end of the job market.

Cons

A typical day at Next will consist of mind-numbingly menial tasks such as putting out endless pairs of jeans, followed by being moaned at by your 17 year old line manager for not putting them out in precisely the correct manner. Luckily you won't get too much of this from the senior management, as they rarely ever show their faces on the shop floor, I imagine they consider themselves far too important for such trivial matters.

If you do decide to work for Next then you'd better not make any plans outside of work...ever. They seem to change your work rota on a daily basis, in one instance my shift was changed a matter of hours before I was due to be in. Also, be prepared for baffling and draconian rules, such as not using the escalator to get to the stock room, I guess that returning out of breath 15 minutes later with a customer's item is more professional than using an escalator, who knew?

As for the famous staff discount, I was told I would have to wait about a month for it. Furthermore, if you are full time your 'allowance' is about £200 (Approx) with 75% off, this means you still have to cough up £50 of your own money for uniform, which is no small sum when you are on Next wages; more commonly known as minimum wage. Avoid this place like the plague, even for a low paid job they are an incredibly poor employer.

Maybe at least consider staff and their welfare, not solely profits.

Next Retail Photos

Next & TKmaxx Woking (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)
Next (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)
Next Offices - Enderby (Photo thanks to Geograph user Anthony Parkes, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo