Next (UK) Reviews

Simon Wolfson

It has its moments

Current Employee - Supervisor in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Bristol, England

I have been working at Next (UK) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary, good relationship with fellow colleagues.

Cons

Obsession with target meeting and performance. Seems to have a blame culture where it's considered more appropriate to find someone to blame rather than a way of rectifying the solution. Poor inter department communication.

Allow regional centers to control their own operation using their experience and local knowledge they have gained over the years. Do not rely so heavily on computer generated solutions an plans as they are frequently inaccurate and impractical. Listen to peoples opinions or advice as they may have valid points before dismissing it immediately.

A million pound company should be better

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Nottingham, England

I have been working at Next (UK) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great team good discount good shares have scheme

Cons

No holiday taken in December or July due to sales no security in the store shoplifting is an everyday thing no extra pay for bank holidays or Boxing Day full time staff are giving too much responsibility and never thanked for it always seems to be one rule for one and not for another Customers seem to be given gift cards for the abusive and poor behaviour just so next could keep them as customers while the staff are made to look like idiots

Every member of staff should be treated the same full time staff need more support from there managers and as for bank holidays they should get extra pay and bonuses should be given to everyone every month the same why do managers get a stock loss bonus when it's the staff that catch the shoplifters?

Challenging, rewarding work.

Former Employee - Picker/Packer in Pontefract, England
    Former Employee - Picker/Packer in Pontefract, England

I worked at Next (UK) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great flexible atmosphere, overtime is often available, as are early finishes. Management are down-to-earth and there are many opportunities to move up and gain experience where you care to gain experience.
    Also, picking and packing bonuses are VERY rewarding and worth earning.
    Great canteen and services, too.

Cons

Work can be hard and stressful, bonus scheme is not ENTIRELY fair (some batches can be harder than others with no compromise in KPIs). During Winter and Summer sales, working can be incredibly cramped and hot due to outsourced workers flooding in, also causing a shortage of supplies and some REALLY stressful times trying to balance bonus. Higher-up managers can be particularly blind to warehouse conditions and complaints.

(To the higher management) Consider sympathising more with the problems of the lower down staff and try to improve speed at which problems are generally addressed to maximise efficiency ALL AROUND the warehouse.
    (And to floor managers) Should try to compliment staff more on hard work on tougher days, this will alleviate stress to NO END, sometimes even warehouse staff need a thanks for the hard work and effort they put in.

Unpredictable hours, and cruel mannered.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Nottingham, England

I worked at Next (UK) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You're always guarenteed atleast 4 hours a week, and get a good store discount.

Cons

Very disrespectful, I got no appreciation for what I did. The management was terrible. I got given hours last minute, without any pre-warning. I never got given the hours I was contracted for. I also got given hours, that I had previously stated 3 times, I could not work. I was made to work in environments that should not be permitted due to health and safety legislations. I was made to work after I had teeth taken out and was in pain. I was getting shouted at for issues that weren't my fault, but the fault of the staff from the previous day/shift. I finished my training on my last day of working. And finally, I was given my contract to sign 2 weeks before it ended.

Respect your staff, and don't make them feel 3 feet tall. Pre-warn staff on hours given and don't change them last minute. Ensure the training process is carried out appropriately and quickly. Organise yourselves better. Provide more opportunities for those who work hard and those wishing to excel within the business.

Nice experience

Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant in London, England

I have been working at Next (UK) as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Nice colleagues and store managers.
    Good salary.
    Easy job with no stress.

Cons

I had 8hr/w contract, They told me I would had worked much more hours because we were going to be very busy and it was true but not every week: I also worked 8 hours a week for 4 weeks in a row.
    The "scanners" for checking stock were also everyday out of order and and stockroom software doesn't work properly: the target is much higher than you can reach.
    Stockrooms small and packed.

rewarding

Current Employee - Loss Prevention in Warrington, North West England, England
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention in Warrington, North West England, England

I have been working at Next (UK) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

As a company, you cannot fault Next for the Profesional way in which they strive to deliver the highest quality to every customer.

Cons

communication between departments could be improved

if management stick to procedures that they put in place, it is possible that there staff will follow procedures. and a look at the way deliveries are put together, as well as the way items are picked , could and will produce a great saving not to be sniffed at.

Friendly, happy, worthwhile

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Next (UK) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonuses
    Community feel to the store

Cons

Leadership
    No overtime
    Long days when quiet

Consider allowing managers to work more paid overtime

The Worst place I have ever worked.

Former Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Manchester, England

I worked at Next (UK) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff discount was a great benefit and the people who worked there.

Cons

the management structure, management attitude and the staff turnover.

more understanding of students and part time staff

Good company but terrible coworkers at the branch I worked in.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I worked at Next (UK) part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discount and other benefits, experience in interacting with customers and gaining retail experience. Great as a first job for a teen.

Cons

Time off policies and terrible coworkers.

Keep a good link with all your employees and improve performance reviews.

Flexible hours - low pay - limited progression after training - a good first job but other options if experienced

Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant
    Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant

I have been working at Next (UK) (more than 5 years)

Pros

Staff Discount 25% - I am at a very good shop, having worked at several and respect the management team overall, some managers are more flexible than others and encourage positive flexibility, but most are rather ridgid.

Cons

Management are a mixed bag from good to very smarmy - quite store dependent. Distribution pays better but very robotic. being a seasonal business forget quality Christmases or getting School Holidays off if below manager or Coordinator.

reinstate some of the benefits and consider more humane contracts - Van drivers paid the same as Sales consultants but effectively supervisors? The enhanced training is very good but perhaps some sort of incentive at the end of it.