Nextag

Nextag CEO Jeffrey G. Katz

Jeffrey G. Katz

54 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The Titanic Of The Silicon Valley

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Nextag full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree Food, Birthday Cake, Laid back office and great work/life balance.

ConsAs mentioned in the title of this review, Nextag may be the the Titanic Of The Silicon Valley, at the helm was Jeff Katz. Nextag is a great example of what happens to a company when you are pursuing the ideas of one person without seeking guidance from people who actually know how to run a internet company. Fortunately he is gone, well sort of....still on the board (Not a good idea). I personally saw millions and millions of dollars thrown away to pursue ideas that had little to no merit and backed by little to no experience.

Fortunately the cancer has been removed and hopefully my friends at Nextag will still have a company to show up for every morning.

If you are debating joining the Nextag team, be sure to ask if your position is vital. If it isn't then you will find little to no job security. There are a lot of good people still left and a lot of great people were recently let go, including myself.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the most out of whats left after the iceberg Jeff Katz and others sailed Nextag into. Take care of the people you have left, incentives them greatly because we all know there is little to no confidence left and probably everyone is looking for new positions.

Case study in disastrous leadership and greed

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Nextag full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people, nice office. Really smart and creative engineers who were great to work with. An awesome HR team. Head of sales and his team were awesome too. Fun events. Flexible work schedules.

ConsMore than a con - the #1 reason for the company's downfall: Jeff Katz. An arrogant, nasty 'know it all' who wasted time and money and a great team by chasing (then killing) his pet projects that everyone knew were doomed to fail. Insane waste of money and people's time. Insisted on driving direct traffic to the site but failed miserably. Decides only he knows what customers are looking for but in reality he has no idea. So direct traffic never grew a single bit. Millions of dollars later.

Con #2 - Aloof CTO. Katz spent all his time with this crony from his Orbitz days, who barely even spoke to the tech teams. Followed Katz around like a puppy dog, doing anything Katz demanded, no matter how ridiculous it was.

Con #3 - Providence private equity firm. They put $300M in debt on the company so they could pay themselves back. Meanwhile laying off talented team members left and right and killing the company's future.

Have now turned the company over to the banks, are almost broke. They've laid off most of the US team, shipped jobs to India and put junior managers in senior roles they can't do. They're an old dreary Nextag all over again. A stupid, wasted mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO & CTO finally got fired, but too late to turn the company around. Great talent has left or leaving soon. Sell this thing soon or you may have to pay someone to take it off your hands.

A sinking ship

San Mateo, CA (US)

I have been working at Nextag full-time for more than a year

Pros-The people below senior management are generally very cool/fun to work with
-There's a kitchen with some free food and a monthly catered lunch
-Even base-level salaries seem fair

Cons-Jeff Katz is destroying the company with his self-professed infamy and political methods with which he runs the company.
-There is no job security. None at all. There is a very high turnover rate, and it usually feels like you never know who will be the next to go (including yourself).
-The marketing budget is embarrassing, and the management of that budget are people who are buddies of Jeff who came over from Orbitz/Leapfrog. It's really hard to be proud of how the company operates.
-No room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up, stop cutting talented people for political reasons. You're killing the company, and it's harmful to all of us.

You know it's bad when in hindsight Purnendu was a good CEO

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nextag full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat snacks in the kitchen
Cool office
The people are genuinely nice

ConsSurprised the board didn't let Katz go a year ago
Google PLAs are killing their SEO
The VP of your department will last around 3 months before being fired
Trying to diversify their business but nothing has been remotely successful
Stock option price is WAY underwater (1.1 billion evaluation in 2007)

Advice to Senior ManagementSell this dying business while you still can. You have already squeezed every penny out over the past 6 years. Abandon ship!

bait and switch

San Mateo, CA (US)

I worked at Nextag full-time for more than a year

ProsGood people in the trenches
Average pay & benefits

ConsHUGE annual attrition rate (40% in some years)
Complete lack of strategic leadership and integrity in the "leadership" team
People chasing pennies and leaving dollars on the table, ie far too much focus on SEO than intrinsic value
Significant change of direction every few months which means there's no real direction
Everyone tries to imitate Katz's worst characteristics, and he surrounds himself with "yes" men, leading to "The emperor is wearing no clothes"

Advice to Senior ManagementResign or move to Washington DC where your cutthroat skills and political backstabbing will at least be expected

Good people, horrible bosses, worse executives. They like to build everything in house

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Nextag full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood people, nice office. Cafe in building.
Large scale problems, now getting into goo technology stack

Conshorrible management, even worse executives
New CEO brought in his team
they didn't know how to run business. Running it into the ground

Advice to Senior Managementget new management

An Ok company with mixed pros and cons

San Mateo, CA (US)

I have been working at Nextag full-time

Pros1. Good technology, a lot of opportunities to learn new stuff
2. Hard working and smart people get promoted
3. Good HR staff organizing fun events
4. Good environment for internationals
5. Co-workers are generally nice, friendly and smart
6. Excellent PTO time. Ok work-life balance for most employees.

Cons1. Base salary is not very bad. But there are no other compensation. Bonus is low
2. The whole company is having hard time grow its traditional shopping business.
New stategy seems to be good but it needs time to prove that.
3. Benefits other than PTO are not that great.
4. Low brand name recognition
5. Stock options are not attractive at all
6. People coming in and learving all the time. High turn-over rate

Toxic environment

San Mateo, CA (US)

I worked at Nextag full-time for less than a year

ProsStill a fairly profitable business; uses current technologies; very numbers / statistics driven with an infrastructure that embraces experimentation and reat-ime feedback

ConsDraconian management style of the senior leadership; dog-eat-dog culture that leads to fast burnout or being thrown under the proverbial bus. Lip service given to training - one senior leader was heard saying that training is unacceptable and that technologists should be hired already knowing current technologies! Revenue model is being completely overhauled as a reaction to Google's competitive practices - there's little indication that the bet will be successful in the long term.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you surround yourself with identical cutthroat personalities, you lose perspective and you end up with demoralized, afraid, and/or cutthroat personnel. In other words, you get what you model.

Good pay. Lousy motivation. No appreciation

I worked at Nextag

ProsGood pay, interesting directions, most of the people were nice

ConsLack of direction in IT

Advice to Senior ManagementWork as a team, and not focus on self-centered career goals

I am Glad To be Next OUt !!!

I worked at Nextag

ProsI like that fact they did have a monthly lunch celebration and they also have happy hours once in a while.

ConsThe commute is terrible. There is really no good food options in the area. This company has really high turn over. I have known more than a 30 people who left the company wiithin the first six months. I feel they have managers who do not know how to manager people. It seems like the upper manager in certain groups. do not know what is going on. I would suggest only taking a job here if you have no other offers. or if you are jobless and you just need a job. This not a career. They treat there employers really unfair. Alot of people gossip about each other and people are extremely clicks as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest listening to people feed backs.

Worked for Nextag? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nextag reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nextag CEO Jeffrey G. Katz. All 54 reviews posted anonymously by Nextag employees.