Niagara Bottling Reviews

Updated 16 April 2015
61 reviews filtered by
Andy Peykoff II

Pros
  • This is a fast paced company who look for the best (in 7 reviews)

• Lots to learn, fast pace and fast growing company, great people to work with (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance whatsoever (in 9 reviews)

• Good resume builder but no future here if you don't know anyone in upper management (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Work Hard / Play Hard Culture, Challenging But Rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA (US)

I have been working at Niagara Bottling full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Niagara is a fast paced company that moves quickly and is growing at a rapid pace (30+% a year for the past decade.) There are lots of opportunities for internal promotions and professional development. Managers expect a lot out of their employees. The company is 100% family owned and the owners are still involved in the business and there is a family culture, even though the business has grown dramatically. There are lots of training opportunities and rotational programs for employee development.

Cons

- The corporate office is crowded, with parking becoming a big problem.
    - Benefits could be better
    - The culture is not for everyone. People coming from larger companies tend to have a hard time adapting to the pace.
    - Many departments are under staffed leading to resource constraints

Mar 30, 2015

Really fair assessment. Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective and while growth is excellent, it does come with some growing pains, as exampled by some of your cons.

2. Very fast paced company, everyday brings on new challenges.

Current Employee - Shift Mechanic
    Current Employee - Shift Mechanic

I have been working at Niagara Bottling full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you like to work this is the place for you, overtime is endless if wanted. The equipment is being upgraded and well maintained. Lots of new technology to learn and process are constantly changing. They reward the employees for safety which is a nice bonus.

Cons

Most of the overtime is well received, but sometimes it can be too much. Promises for training tend to drag out and work life balance is non existent.

Advice to Management

Don't tell employee's of intent until it is a for sure deal. Try to keep an even headed attitude so employee's know what to expect on a daily basis.

Apr 16, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. Comments like yours show us opportunities where we can definitely ensure we are getting the information into our team members hands at the right time.

3. Employee

I have been working at Niagara Bottling

Pros

Awesome place to work for

Cons

None to comment on now

Advice to Management

None

5. Great place to work

I have been working at Niagara Bottling

Pros

Plenty of opportunities and good pay.

Cons

Could use some more communication.

Advice to Management

None

Apr 16, 2015

Thanks for taking time out to post. As we strive to keep all our communications timely and frequent, we are looking at ways to improve. Feedback like yours reinforce or decision to keep ... More

6. Production Supervisor

I have been working at Niagara Bottling

Pros

Great Pro Active Company, Great work invironment

Cons

New employee starting out working off shifts

7. This is a horrible place to work. The machine they have are garbage they are always going down they never stay running.

Former Employee - Production Operator in Gahanna, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Production Operator in Gahanna, OH (US)

I worked at Niagara Bottling full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Only good thing about working there is the experience you will get in manufacturing to move on to something better.

Cons

There is no training in place for new people coming in. They just have someone train you for a day or two them leave you by yourself. It's amazing this place is still up in running.

Advice to Management

Horrible management they don't care about they employees.

Apr 08, 2015

While we can certainly appreciate not being a good fit for every person. We do have a very empowered culture that encourages team members to seek out some information. It is fast paced, there is ... More

8. Great people to work

I worked at Niagara Bottling

Pros

1)Good people
    2)Real work
    3) Good office culture

Cons

None as far as I know

Mar 30, 2015

Great to hear your experience has been all pro, but rest assured with all good there will probably be a bad day. We value both sides, telling our good story but at the same time letting us know ... More

9. Great, very supportive

I have been working at Niagara Bottling

Pros

Very supportive and helpful if I had questions, incredibly flexible with school schedule and even deliverables. Though my cons is lengthy, I very much had a positive experience here.

Cons

Very little structure for intern program. Highly structured from a corporate perspective it becomes diluted when implemented at the plant level with several unnecessary requirements that do not help grow the employee. While I appreciate the "internship is what you make it" mentality, I would have liked a little more guidance and expectations so I could devote myself to learning one or two skills very well as opposed to a myriad of them (jack of all trades).

Advice to Management

Give your interns defined meaningful work that can be implemented from plant to plant. I was fortunate for my plant to have plenty of work to give me, but I know other interns who were not so lucky.

Mar 30, 2015

We have certainly taken the feedback for interns from last year to heart and will be looking to have a great summer with our interns building on the feedback and structure from previous years ... More

10. Promises promises

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA (US)

I worked at Niagara Bottling full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Water sale, fresh fruit and most of the staff were ok.

Cons

Well where to begin there are so many, first and foremost compensation is lacking most salaries do not meet local or national standards. If you don't come in at a high salary your future increases will be disappointing since increase is based on a percentage of your current salary. When coming on board recruiting made big promises to get you in giving the impression that within first year you will get at least 2 more pay increases. HR loves to use the lateral move to get out of pay increases despite job duties being second tier skill set. Lots of staff get the carrot dangled in front of them. It's a shame it could be a great place to work if the politics nepotism and the owners treating staff as their personal staff would go away. Pointing fingers has to stop and leaders need to take accountability. Give staff money there are no year end nothing no bonuses for non-executive staff. It disheartening for staff to see exec in new cars new hand bags like people don't notice. What upper management and owners forget if it wasn't for the fact people need a job and will tolerate most anything because they have families not because they love their jobs. Just look at the track record high turn around inability to attract new staff speaks volumes it's too bad Niagara is deaf.

Advice to Management

Clean house too many managers and executives. If a team bombs you get rid of the coach.

Mar 30, 2015

We appreciate the points you have explained and the perception you had while working with Niagara. We are working very hard to get better alignment with shifting markets across the US. Feedback ... More

11. resume builder, but painful

I worked at Niagara Bottling full-time

Pros

you get work experience and training to put on your resume for your job applications to get you out of here. i got a significant raise (compensation, benefits and work culture) when i got another offer.

Cons

1. house of unnecessary secrecy: upper management withholds information from subordinates so they never understand why they are working their lives away.
    2. when things go wrong, many people's first reactions is to find a place to point the finger of blame. expect to spend a significant portion of your time explaining yourself to upper management even when you're doing everything perfectly right.
    3. low pay, low benefits, low vertical mobility unless you're in "the club" or network your way into "the club"
    4. pay was exceptionally low for a position on which i could be contacted any time after hours to work.

Advice to Management

stop promising raises and promotions when you don't intend to give it out. it's better not to offer it than to dangle it and not give it to us.

Niagara Bottling Photos