Nissan
www.nissan-global.com Yokohama, Japan 5000+ Employees

Nissan Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014
Nissan – Japan – “Nissan Global Head Office”

Nissan Co-Chairman, President, CEO, Representative Board Member, and Member of the Executive Committee Carlos Ghosn

Carlos Ghosn

Pros:
  • "It is an international work environment with more than 20 nationalities"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Complete lack of flexibility in working hours"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Long hours, sometimes you spend hours with a customer and they don't get anything"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

An excellent progressive company

Supervisor (Current Employee)
Sunderland, North East England, England

I have been working at Nissan full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOpportunities and support. well rewrded

Consdemanding and at times difficult to satisfy

Advice to Senior Managementbe more aware of long serving employees capabilities

Learn a lot, develop practical skills, but watch out for office politics.

Placement Engineer (Former Employee)
Sunderland, North East England, England

I worked at Nissan as an intern for less than a year

ProsIf you get in the right team, it's really rewarding - you can learn a lot from some very intelligent, experienced engineers. Development of practical skills is also emphasised which is something I enjoyed.

ConsOften quite fractious relations between different teams, and between the engineering and production staff. Unrealistic SM targets also an issue - being compared to a brand new factory is not something you want to hear.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication between engineering teams needs to be improved. Comparing a brand new factory to one that is being constantly updated is not helpful.

company profile

Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Nissan full-time for more than a year

Prosgood company to work with good oppurtunities to visit global suppliers

Consno cons as far as i experienced

Good work Environment, good benefits

Brand Intelligence Officer (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Nissan full-time for more than a year

ProsYou get very good benefits. It is an international work environment with more than 20 nationalities. Nice and friendly people to work with.

ConsIt is in "Paris" but actually the offices are quite far from the city center. May take long until you get a promotion. Working with the headquarters is Japan is very challenging

Well organised with positive 'can do' culture; pressure to perform but not much recognition.

Engineer (Current Employee)
Newcastle, England

I have been working at Nissan

ProsPositive goal achievement culture, well organised, reasonable training opportunities - e.g. 80% sponsorship for higher education.

ConsLimited career opportunities. Long working hours expected - seen as the 'norm' by management, therefore little appreciation shown. Pressure to perform, but little difference in reward between good performance and average performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementOn a company level senior management are doing a fair job maintaining business competitiveness. On an individual level performance and reward (recognition/remuneration/career prospects) are poorly linked.

Can Learn many function, boost your career but high level of office politics

Human Resource Executive (Former Employee)
Ino, Kochi (Japan)

I worked at Nissan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood brand image and quality

ConsMaybe in Kerala,all the dealership rewarded employees badly as in remuneration

Advice to Senior ManagementAn uniform salary package all across the world, considering cost of living iin present economy.

Great company, and product

Car Salesman (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nissan full-time for less than a year

ProsA great learning environment, with great opportunity for who ever wants to work hard.

ConsNot for the person who is not willing to put everything into this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be preferable to any employee working the sales floor to never have to work a 9am to 9pm shift when there is a family to get to.

Car sales can be good

I have been working at Nissan

ProsIt is a great way to make a living and get to meet new people all the time. The money can be great if you are willing to work for it. It is a fun and interesting way to make a living if you enjoy talking with strangers and getting to know them.

ConsThe hours will suck, and the customers do not always care if it is not a good time for you. So you wind up eating some crap from them unless you want to give up part of your commission and have someone else help them if you are off. Sometimes the people you work with are not the best but that is everywhere.

Great product, but could use some improvement.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Nissan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI sold Nissans for 3 years, but I’ve been a fan of Nissan since I was child. My parents and I have been driving Nissan for 25 years we want to continue that legacy. Nissan offers an excellent product line up with innovating ideas which makes Nissan one of the leaders in foreign auto market. I believe in the product and drive what I sell.
It’s easy to get Nissan certified and the NNAnet.com site offers a lot of product knowledge for the sales consultant to accumulate to help become a better sales consultant.
Nissan offers a program to sales consultants during the football season called Sunday Night Rewards which sales consultant depending on which cars they sell during that week and pick the correct football team can accumulate points to which they can cash in for nice things such as Jewelry, gift cards, electronics, apparel, and the list goes on. Unfortunately, this is one of the only rewards/spiffs/spins that Nissan offers other than selling a Nissan Leaf and they discontinued it.

ConsIt’s hard to make money by selling new Nissans on top of your regular dealer pay. Nissan customers just like more foreign car buyers are educated buyers and pretty much know what they want and how much they are going to pay before they enter in the dealership. Nissan has an award of excellence program called Owner First which pays sales consultants based on selling minimum of 6 cars each month, meet NSSI survey minimum of 6, and having a 3 month rolling average score of 933. It’s hard to meet these requirements each month and just recently Nissan raised the requirements yet again to selling a minimum of 8 cars and having a rolling average score of 938.
Nissan doesn’t start paying the sales consultants until they met their requirements above. Some manufactures will pay their sales consultants extra money on top of their regular dealer pay without having a minimal numbers of cars sold like Kia Hyundai and GM.

The Nissan survey is by far one of the biggest jokes. We cannot coach on the survey but every other manufacture allows it. If you are caught coaching on the survey and the customer indicates it on the survey, Nissan throws a fit at that particular dealership. Why should the sales consultant be penalized on the survey for what happens in finance, variety of inventory, appearance of facility, when it’s something that I have no control over? This is I think one of the main reasons why you do not see that many Nissan sales consultants staying with Nissan for a long period of time. It was one of the reasons why I left. A couple of weeks after I left Nissan, I received a survey in my email about my experience working with Nissan. I did take the time to fill out it and how I think Nissan could improve and keep their sales consultants happy. But I see after that they raised the bar yet again and never took my suggestions.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-work the Nissan Survey to where the sales consultant cannot get deducted for questions that the sales consultant has no control over. Listen to your sales consultants and managers at the dealerships when you stop in. We will tell you how we feel and how to fix the problems.Offer spins and pay your sales consultants a little money per car not a minimal requirement. If Nissan paid their sales consultants better, I guarantee more sales consultants would stay with Nissan including me.

Has great potential but poor management and HR practices

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Nissan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits, product line up can be innovative at times, high profile experience, exposure to global business and colleagues is good for personal development

ConsOffice culture and morale greatly affected by management styles, very top down philosophy, product is often poor quality compared to competitors, poor HR practices especially in managing development of employees

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove morale

Worked for Nissan? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nissan reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn. All 78 reviews are posted anonymously by Nissan employees.