Nitro

Updated 14 September 2014
4.3

Nitro CEO Sam Chandler
Sam Chandler

Good company, issues going on currently

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Nitro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are truly great people who work here- passionate, caring, enthusiastic... There is a lot of heart here. Not much micro-managing.

Cons

The Executives tend to be a bit hard-headed and unwilling to adjust. The recruiters don't seem to able to bring the best candidates for manager positions to the table- or people are just being driving out when their opinions don't line up with leadership's. A bit disorganized, but with the right people they may be able to turn it around.

Disappointing and on the wrong track

I have been working at Nitro full-time

Pros

On the surface, Nitro sounds like a great company, and in many ways it is from the benefits to the employee experience team. In general, most people are well intentioned and that includes the executive team. The employee experience team does a great job of trying to keep employees engaged in social activities. While youth and creativity are typically strengths for this company, in many ways, they are also a significant detriment to the daily operations which has fueled turnover and disenchantment among remaining employees.

Cons

Under the hood, Nitro has the feel of a high school complete with a high degree of favoritism by the executive team towards certain people also known as the "in crowd" so that only their opinions matter. The sales team is disgruntled because of the lack of leads; the support team is upset because they’re never kept in the loop; and finally you have marketing whose best skill seems to be sending out emails.

As much as Nitro touts its fun culture, it’s not what you expect. The concept of teamwork is hindered by several employees at managerial positions who seem to be driven by insecurity, immaturity and ego. The sad running joke is they walk on water since they can do no wrong. But, It's disheartening when shameless self-promotion at the expense of undermining others (and in many cases, the greater good of the company) is so rampant. The company has lost a number of talented employees because of this, and the executive team seems oblivious or turns a blind eye. If you’re not a “yes man”, Nitro may not be the place for you. The fact that two executives were forced out after less than 6 months says a lot. Coupled with the lack of company direction/accountability and limited career path, and you have the makings of an environment that's not very healthy.

If you’re new to the work world, Nitro is a good place to get your experience and then move on. If you’re more experienced, be wary since your skills risk being overlooked or worse, create enough insecurity in others that you become a liability. Look up former employees (and there are plenty lately) on that other professional networking site and ask them.

Do a gut check and listen to your employees - all of them. Take off the blinders and understand there are serious problems that can’t be addressed with free food and alcohol. Run the company like it should be run, and stop making decisions based on emotion and preferential treatment.

product management puts you down

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Nitro full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work-life balance is great and you get what you need when it comes to accomplish your tasks in terms of technology. The active product is cool & the image too. The sales team is doing a great job.

Cons

The product management just repeats what the CEO says, but doesn't actually do any work. The CTO doesn't have a real plan for how to do things & for a long time everyone is talking just about the cloud without going analytical. Too much talent and too much resources are wasted. The main ideas of Sam are great, but he hired people who can't put together a single sheet of a document for the product development to work by.

Buy a cheap Cloud Startup, fire the CTO and bring in an experienced product manager.

Find people who bring a real analysis other than copying slides from meetings.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Has the potential to be a rocketship

I worked at Nitro full-time

Pros

A lot of fun, genuine and smart people. Fun activities. Great office location.

Cons

Have a "work hard play hard" attitude, but play a little too hard. Too much of a drinking bro culture. They don't want to be a typical SV tech startup but sadly that's exactly what it is. Needs better managers in place.

Get some great managers and keep them. Hire people you trust and let them do their jobs. Leadership can't do it all.

No place to work.

I have been working at Nitro

Pros

They spend money to get you drunk often.

Cons

No clue what they are doing and leaders are not experienced enough to be in their positions.

Work with a great crew of positive people on cool projects.

I have been working at Nitro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Growth.

Cons

Chaotic at times within projects.

Keep building us!

Interview process for Enterprise AE Role

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Nitro full-time for less than a year

Pros

Process was very straightforward and I was kept up to date about what was happening and next steps in the process at all times. Everyone who I dealt with was an ambassador for the company and the energy and positivity was most certainly a reason for my accepting the offer

Cons

None as such however it was quite a long process although reassuringly so. Really looking forward to getting started in Nitro!

More excited about coming to work every single day

Current Employee - Co-Founder  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Co-Founder in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Nitro full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I am a long time employee of Nitro. Yesterday I was reminded of how far we have come when we presented our annual Sean Stewart Values Award and we had over 130 Nitronauts to consider when voting.

I thought it appropriate to share part of what this award means to the team at Nitro. Here is an excerpt from a note our CEO sends to the team each year to announce that voting is open:

============

Sean was a great Nitronaut and a great friend to many of us. He was one of the very first members of the original team. He initially worked in support and product management, and who subsequently went on to establish our direct and channel Enterprise business in Europe. When he passed away in March 2010 in London he was the highest-performing sales executive at Nitro, and the most amazing ambassador for our culture that you could find. Even though he had long established himself as a sales guy, he continued to help out with support, QA, and anything he felt he could contribute to. He was always a pleasure to deal with, probably the nicest person you ever met, super hard working, passionate about Nitro, knew the product inside and out, and had the results on the board to prove how talented he was. He was also the master of well-timed, but completely inappropriate jokes

Aside from his contribution at Nitro, Sean was a truly inspiring human being, who was the founder of and bass player for HTRK. As an artist, he was one of the best. HTRK supported the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and The Horrors on their European tours and had record deals in Berlin and London. Sean was a genuine rockstar – so when we talk about “rockstars” at Nitro, we really mean it…

When Sean passed away, we wanted to find a way to remember him properly. The result was the Sean Stewart Values Award. Four years on, it is a really big deal to those of us who knew him, and to his family, with whom we stay in touch. We send photos of the awards ceremony to his mother, father and sister each year.

============

Just like any start-up we've faced hurdles and had to work our way through them.

Nitro has grown more rapidly in the last year than any previous year. While it is easy to read about culture and plan to build something unique, it is never that easy. Right now though, I feel like we have just discovered the secret sauce!

We are now at a point where we are adding smarter and better people every day, increasing our production capacity and having more and more fun while doing it.

Sean will always be a part of who we are.

Cons

The only thing I have been wary of recently is having our cultural mix change with new additions. Somehow though, each new person is adding to the culture.

Keep trying to spread the load and honoring what the team, past and present, has built.

Nitro Response

May 02, 2014talent ambassador

Thanks so much, appreciate you taking the time to write this review. Loving having you here at Nitro!

Why come here?

I have been working at Nitro

Pros

Nothing to report at all.

Cons

Needs help to keep going.

Nitro - Setting new benchmarks everywhere

I have been working at Nitro full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nitro is, quite simply, like no other. From the very first moment of the interview process you are introduced to the unique and colourful company spirit. Work hard, play hard. If you believe in what you do and you are looking for an opportunity to grow and advance, then this is the place for you.

Cons

That's a good question... I don't have one.

Keep the magic!

Worked for Nitro? Contribute to the Community!