Nitro Reviews

51 reviews filtered by
4.0
Nitro CEO Sam Chandler
Sam Chandler

Pros
  • There are truly great people who work here- passionate, caring, enthusiastic (in 6 reviews)

• Terrific opportunity to grow within an ever growing industry (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It felt like a high school cafeteria and very clique like (in 2 reviews)

• Having a small team spread over three continents mean delays in getting questions answered by the right people (in 2 reviews)

My recommendation: Stay a year, get experience, then go somewhere else.

I worked at Nitro full-time

Pros

Nitro is a company that, at its best, is clearly going somewhere, and the company does have a number of well-intentioned, highly intelligent people. Sadly, these are the people with whom you’ll work, not for whom you’ll work.

On the bright side, every position has room for professional growth, there are truly incredible benefits and perks, and the office environment (minus the middle managers) is lovely. I definitely left having learned something, so the experience wasn’t wasted on me, but I can’t imagine staying in such a toxic workplace longer than a year - not to mention the laughable "competitive salary."

Cons

The C-Level executive team is inspiring on the whole, but leave much to be desired in their selection and training of middle managers, and as a result there is very high turnover. Great management is an art that is, apparently, largely undervalued here. In my experience, customer success managers were in place primarily due to favoritism; creative managers were vindictive and manipulative; marketing managers were self-serving and meddlesome; and sales managers didn’t stay long enough to improve above poor. Most complaints to the C-levels fall on deaf ears, so don’t expect change any time soon.

Stay Away if you have any experience in Software

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Nitro

Pros

None to really report

Cons

lack of vision and truly understand what it takes to run a well define start-up

Advice to Management

replace entire management staff with people that have built software companies in the past

Unique and inspiring culture, big product vision, lots of growth

I have been working at Nitro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

By far the the most caring/genuine/authentic culture I have ever experienced but focused on performance. Big on product vision, amazing offices in downtown SF, international feel and international team, growing fast, just received big investement by top venture capital firm Battery Ventures. You will not meet a nicer but more driven bunch of folks anywhere. Lots of opportunities to grow your career, travel internationally, do different things. Serious benefits and perk program for a mid-sized company.

Cons

Company has always been bootstrapped until raising $15m from US VCs this quarter and has acted like a bootstrapped company, not spending enough where it needs to on things like marketing budget or experienced execs. But I think this is changing with the big investment. Also, if you are expecting to coast or take it easy, Nitro is not for you. Management seems to take a hard line when it doesn't see performance.

Advice to Management

We need more experienced individual contributors and middle managers. Now that you've raised a big pile of cash, go find the best people in all the roles where you see gaps. Also, please don't lose the authentic Aussie work-hard no BS culture that Silicon Valley location and investment may try and change!

Great place to work with sharp, dedicated people.

Current Employee - Software Engineering in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Nitro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is great. Everyone is transparent and truly owns issues. My experience is if there is a problem, the conversation goes right to finding solutions, not pointing blame. The staff here knows how to have fun and no one takes themselves too seriously. I am constantly challenged by the caliber of talent assembled at Nitro.

Cons

None come to mind. The work environment is an open floor plan with everyone (including management) working in a large room with multiple tables. Not for everyone, but it does promote collaboration.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. You have created a very creative work atmosphere.

Great culture with meaningful values (High Performance, Be Good, No Bullsh*t) and a great place to learn!

I have been working at Nitro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nitro is unique in that it's rare to find a company that truly lives up to its core values. It's a really exciting time to be at the company too. We've just closed a round of funding, the product vision is more exciting than ever, and the team here are some of the best, most talented people I've ever worked with. There are also really great growth and career opportunities for those who are willing to put in the hard work to learn and move up. It also feels like everyone wants to be here, irrespective of their role, which I think speaks volumes.

Cons

Things are changing quickly as we scale and the company has definitely experienced growing pains, but it's all normal stuff and part of growing a business. It's a fast-paced work environment that's not for everyone but I find it very rewarding. Communication across departments could be better, but this has improved lately.

Advice to Management

Continue to protect the culture and our values, to develop talent and promote from within and be as transparent as possible about growth plans and the vision for the future. Keep up the great work!

A great place to grow my career

I have been working at Nitro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nitro is a growing tech company that has a very bright future. With the growth of new offices and new positions, we really have the opportunity to drive our roles in the direction that we want to go withing the company. My team is positive and very hard working which keeps me motivated :) I have the autonomy to do what I'm great at and my manager trusts me. I know I will be with Nitro for years to come.

Cons

Right now there a few growing pains with adding new higher level positions that we previously did not have, but these are positions that we need to fill in order to be successful.

Great Culture

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Nitro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been super impressed by the great culture that the founders and leadership team have built over the last 9 years. This plus the exciting new products coming to market make this an exciting place to work.

Cons

None from my POV. The senior leadership team is actively growing its ranks with high quality candidates, and this is further building clarity around the future vision as well as providing strong mentoring opportunities to me and the team around me.

Advice to Management

Through the current growth phase, some folks need additional support, so maybe consider that as part of the active management process.

Frat house vibe

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Nitro as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Dynamic environment, beautifully stocked kitchen, well-selected catering, decidedly un-stuffy. A number of genuinely smart and driven individuals.

Cons

Entitled millenials at a perpetual happy hour make for an exceptionally juvenile and cliquey work atmosphere. I would recommend this company to some of my younger friends, but anyone more than a few years out of college will likely balk at the unprofessional day-to-day "culture" and behavior of the overly coddled employees.

Customer Support

I worked at Nitro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They had a nicely stocked kitchen, lunch twice a week and happy hour.

Cons

It felt like a high school cafeteria and very clique like. My manager had less experience than me and was not very helpful nor friendly. Not sure how someone can be working with clients when they can't even be nice to people around them.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. I told them exactly why I was leaving in my exit interview and doesn't seem anything has changed in that department.

Barely a technology company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Nitro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employee experience team truly cares about making Nitro a great place to work--and they do an excellent job at it. Most of the employees are well intentioned and genuinely good humans.

Cons

If you are joining the company to grow yourself as an engineer, look elsewhere, there is no engineering culture. Craftsmanship and innovation are not valued at the company. The flashiness and the amount of free booze and snacks is almost insulting; at times it felt like they were treating us like children.