Nordstrom

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom

Blake W. Nordstrom

120 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

life at nordies

Resident Artist (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work environment all ways rewarded for your good sales good for team building

Consnot compensated fairly compared to bloomingdales saks, or neimans

Awesome Customer Service and Culture

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time

Prosgreat culture, really care about the employee, great benefits

Consenforces certain selling techniques that don't always work

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the great culture and benefits going!

I am a sales professional at Nordstrom and absolutely love the management and team-working ethic within my department

Sales Person (Current Employee)
Oakbrook Ter, IL (US)

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time for more than a year

ProsI really liked how organized the training went. Along with that, I really enjoyed working in a team oriented environment while setting personal and team net profit goals

ConsThere aren't many cons, however, the only thing that would frustrate me would be customers that took advantage of Nordstrom's customer services. Another con would be the long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Nordstrom Management Review

Department Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhen I started with this company, there was huge opportunities for growth

ConsFinding a work/life balance is difficult to do once you move down the pyramid to management. You work long hours consistently, and are not compensated for working over time.

Decent Pay but was overall dissatisfied with my department management tactics.

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)
Skokie, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIf you like to sit & sit 40 hours a week & be tied to your seat with 2 or 3 others in one small booth then you would enjoy this position.

ConsMy experience was strange as I applied for a completely different position (active & busy) than I actually interviewed for. I was told when I arrived "oh we hired someone this morning for that position & we would like you to interview for the Communications position". Well as I decided on the spot what couldn't it hurt to interview. Well I interviewed ...was hired...but my stipulation to the HR admin & the dept manager was I would TRY the position & would like to be placed elsewhere if I did not fit the position.

The position was operating 100 line switchboard, paging sales associates & announcing store emergency procedures if needed. The position itself was not so bad...what made this position bad was all the sitting & boredom (I did try to find much more things to do while I was sitting there but of course others don't care to do more sometimes.) of those who have been there FOREVER & needed things to talk about . I personally have always made it my own preference never to speak ill of others, mainly just because that makes one or myself look really bad but that is not the case in this instance. This environment was extremely stressful in which some little mistake possibly made in training...was just something to talk about ...I guess you have that everywhere...but after so long these types of behaviors can add the stress up especially when an enclosed 10x10 room.

Ok so that is just some everyday ordeal...what really got me was when a girl I barely knew & I felt pretty sorry for her because everyone knew in the department & our department was shared with customer service, that this girl was going to be fired a week in advance of her termination. Um who does that!? What type of management handles a termination that way? then the fact or mere thought that " this could happen to me or anyone in this department" Even though I was fairly new to the position & still in training , I was very disappointed in how this was handled regardless of any reason. I could have done a better job as a manager with no experience if the current management during this situation could not maintain this privacy of one of its associates.

At any rate I lost a lot of respect for those working around me, I tried to apply out of that department & of course to no avail those other support positions are on lock down, no matter what they say when some encouraged me to apply (I actually think the encouragement of applying & watching me get denied was prob just fun for some). I was honest with my manager about my position & how I was not a good fit reminding her of the stipulation I had when I took the position and was agreed upon. I did find out later that no one wanted to work in communications in the entire store before I got thrown in there. That department is just one group of hens with nothing do to but sit around & talk negative.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider your company values & respect the privacy of associates working for you ...this comment only for those I actually worked for. Other Nordstrom management seemed professional but I didn't really get a chance to know them. The communications position should be for new hires or interns and a cap out time of how long can stay in that position. I understand there needs to be experienced personnel but some of them should not be there longer than 2 yrs.

Customer Service is #1

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time

ProsThis company has a proactive approach to business. Always implementing the latest technologies and procedures with the goal of providing the best customer service. If you like a fast paced, goal driven, ever changing environment, you'll like working for this company.

ConsSeveral numeric goals to be met consistently. If you don't like to work hard, you won't want to seek out a job with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on making sure the job is fun, supportive and encouraging for your employees.
Happy employees tend to be more enthusiastic about making customers happy.

Cahiser

Cahiser (Former Employee)
Oak Brook, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat pay, good coworkers, offers a lot for growth in company.

ConsBad hours, lack of communication with HR, a lot of customer complaints on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter scheduling system.

Sales associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

ProsPotential to make a lot of money
Reputable company
Fun environment

ConsNo hourly pay - only commission
Long hours
Harder to make goals in the winter

Competitive atmosphere, but a wonderful company to work for.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Schaumburg, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

Pros-Good management
-Take care of employees
-Buil customer service

Cons-Commission based
-Very competitive
-Pick a GOOD/BUSY department

Nordstrom is a great company and I loved working there.

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Skokie, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom part-time for more than a year

ProsThere is a lot of room for growth and the compensations is good. The work environment is friendly and supportive. You also get a discount and employees are recognized for their hardwork. Sales are especially high during the sales. Sales associates work on commission and make money for opening credit cards. The managers want to help you and the training is very good.

ConsWhen there isn't a sale, sales tend to be very slow which can be frustrating. The work environment does get competitive and many old sales associates have a majority of the customers which makes selling difficult since you can only sell to people who walk in.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nordstrom CEO Blake W. Nordstrom. All 120 reviews posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees.