Nordstrom

Nordstrom Reviews in Chicago, IL US

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom

Blake W. Nordstrom

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 110 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 206 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult at times especially if you have children (in 97 reviews)

• You work long hours consistently, and are not compensated for working over time (in 161 reviews)

More Highlights
131 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent Place Lots of Hours

Cosmetics Counter Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsWorking there could be enjoyable at times. You had somewhat free reign as long as your sales numbers were good. Fun environment.

ConsAlthough you had to work weekends (or else you would suffer due to sales), holidays, and long hours on days of events and at Nordstrom that is a lot. Also, you have to be constantly stressed and worried about your numbers because if a return would come in it could ruin your day. Some "goals" are extremely hard to beat.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees rather than sit in your office staring at numbers for the day on a computer. Not everyday can be amazing!

Awesome company to work for!

Commissioned Sales Associate (Current Employee) Oak Brook, IL (US)

ProsGreat pay was making almost 30k just part time, great environment, loved the culture, great benefits and incentives

ConsDepartment manager was power hungry

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure management is treating the employees with respect, especially on the sales floor.

Retail Sales & Management Intern

Retail Management and Sales Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsLoved working with other young and fun interns. The values of the company are carried out by their workers. You can earn a lot of money depending on how well you can sell.

ConsLong hours usually 8 hour days, and the anniversary sale is a madhouse! (however you make a lot of money)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep sending interns to managers who are willing to help interns. Some managers do not want the added stress of dealing with an intern that is willing to learn the ends and outs of managing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Structure of stores makes it a very difficult work environment

Fine Jewelry Sales (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL (US)

ProsThe human resources department is very good. The department cares about it's employees. The potential to work in a clean environment and make an average income is available.

ConsI can only speak from my personal department, but the management was atrocious. The department manager and assistant manager had no business and were incredibly unqualified for the positions they held. The store manager was incredibly poor at her job as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote appropriate individuals to positions. Maturity and length of service in a particular field aids a lot when dealing with a management position.

Loved working here!

Commissioned Sales Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat culture, pay, and time-off policies.

ConsFrequently changing leadership but mostly from promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider more development in lower level employees.

Great pay, lots of work

Commissioned Sales Associate (Former Employee) Oak Brook, IL (US)

ProsLoved working in a commission-based environment. It was up to you to put in the effort and you were rewarded for you work.

ConsI was expecting to have a part-time position, but found myself working almost 40 hours a week. I wish I would have had a better idea of what would have been expected of me regarding time before I accepted.

a great place to work

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsIt is a place where you can grow because they believe in promoting from within. The harder you're willing to work the more you can earn.

ConsIt is commission based so you have to be willing to work hard to get ahead. The hours are not easy and there are sales goals to meet. Sometimes the goals are pretty steep.

Watch Specialist

Watch Specialist (Former Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

ProsGood pay, advancement opportunities, and the ability to keep up with new trends.

ConsDepartment manager was unreasonable, A lot of drama, they offer 'benefits' but don't schedule you enough hours per week to qualify.

Not all divisions created equal.

Specialty Coffee Manager (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL (US)

ProsGreat company benefits excellent discount. Good consistent training for managers. Customer service is first priority and all employees are empowered to do what is necessary to take care of the customer.

ConsVery different treatment of restaurant employees than retail side. Sr management of restaurants pay lip service to quality of product, values don't align with that of the retail operation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all employees with the grace you expect them to provide your customers.

Great people!

Cosmetics Counter Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsI met some of my best friends working here.

ConsYou sorta have to live and breath Nordstrom, but I lucked out and made a ton of friends and it became a family for me!

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!