Nordstrom

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom

Blake W. Nordstrom

(1,470 ratings)

2,214 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation"
    in 99 reviews
  • "The values Nordstrom instills on all employees makes them top notch in customer service"
    in 178 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is not always achievable or acceptable depending on who you report too"
    in 78 reviews
  • "Long hours can be burnout and there is not always a high focus on work-life balance"
    in 144 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Simply the best experience. Period.

Commissioned Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

ProsI graduated with a bachelors degree and always knew I wanted to eventually end up at Nordstrom corporate. Everyone must start on the sales floor, and of course they should! You must be an expert on the product before you can be successful and progress within the company. And that's another reason why Nordstrom is so wonderful... They promote from within. With a bachelors degree and Nordstrom experience, the sky is the limit. It's just such a great company to work for.

ConsTakes some time to progress, but the trip is fun!

Advice to Senior ManagementMy management is super open and understanding. Keep up the good work!

life at nordies

Resident Artist (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work environment all ways rewarded for your good sales good for team building

Consnot compensated fairly compared to bloomingdales saks, or neimans

extremely exceptional ethics and morals.

Department Manager (Current Employee)
Columbia, MD (US)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than 5 years

Prosmake your own schedule, sell more, make more money. The ability to kind of do things your way

Consleaders who have no idea what they are doing. Restructuring occurred and leaders with little to no experience gained positions over seasoned managers. Also, managers were demoted during this restructuring.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest in decision making

One of the best places to work if you have drive and motivation

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time

ProsThe people that work there push you and the customers you create relationships with are great!

ConsSometimes it is slow and you need to work extra hard to reach you sales goals

AMAZING COMPANY

Commissioned Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

Pros-benefits
-competitive pay
-great culture
-promote from within
-discount

Cons-a little stressful
-a little demanding

Advice to Senior Management-Less intensity

Great short term job coming out of college

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat job during the trasnition coming out of college. Without any retail experience coming in, I was able to catch on pretty quickly. Good store culture and moral, which helped by being in strong market.

ConsNot a lot of hand holding, the strong thrive and the weak fall behind. You're constantly aware of those around you and stepping on others toes.

Amazing Experience and Opportunity

Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee)
Cherry Hill, NJ (US)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are so many great things about working at Nordstrom, especially a full-line store (so not the Rack). Everything is commission based. That means the harder you work and the more you sell, the better your paycheck will be. Everyone is extremely friendly and doesn't mind helping the new person. Since Nordstrom promotes from within, depending on how far you want to go, there is never a limit to what you can or cannot do. I started as an intern and am currently an Assistant Manager, and there is no limits on where I can go with the company, both job wise and location wise.

ConsSince it is commission based, you have to be a good seller. This is especially true during the slow months. While they say no cold calls, it is definitely necessary to call customers you have a "relationship" with and let them know about new product. Depending on walk in business will not do well for your paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere have been a lot of recent changes since I've been with the company (10 months). While change is good, make sure to think about what works and what doesn't. Even if that means sticking with the old ways.

One of My Best Jobs!

Makeup Artist/Beauty Advisor (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time

ProsI was new to Indy so I met most of my friends there. Very laid back, great company spirit. Some people think they harass you about sales goals... well, I ddnt get harassed but its a SALES job, so guess what? yup... you have to sell. Breaks and lunches were pretty much up to you when you wanted to go. Lots of opportunities within the company.There is a coffee breakfast once a month with the manager that everyone can attend so that your ideas are heard and you can stay in the loop. Lots to learn.

Consreturns. People shop. People return. Thats about it. If your sales goal is $1000 that day, and some did a return earlier that was yours and it was for $300, it doesnt technically come out of your check, but you have to now sell $300 to be a square one.... then another $1000 to make goal. Being a Tier 1 means being below your goal for the pay period. If you are a 1 for 3 pay periods in a row..... you could loose your job. And pay day is the 4TH and the 19th of every month. That took some getting used to.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll people who are management dont make good management. You have to respect that everyone is an adult and if they make mistakes, you still talk to them as adults and not ever as a child. Always stay supportive, and respect your team.

Excellent !

Commissioned Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

Prosworking here was extremely fun, and exciting !

Consif you are not into selling and up selling, this job may not be for you

Amazing Company, Amazing People, Great Environment

Assistant Department Manager (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTraining
Commission Based (merit based) Environment
Positive Employees
Great Management

ConsReturns (everything else is great)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Nordstrom CEO Blake W. Nordstrom. All 2,214 reviews are posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees.