www.nscorp.com

Updated 1 March 2015
3.5

Norfolk Southern Chairman, CEO, and Director Wick Moorman IV
Wick Moorman IV

Pros
  • pay and benefits, if you brown nose management will leave you alone (in 8 reviews)

• The company has a great benefits package and pretty good salary (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is horrendous (in 8 reviews)

• Plus the supervisors are on call 24/7 except for every other weekend (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Norfolk Southern

Current Employee - IT Co-Op in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - IT Co-Op in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Norfolk Southern

Pros

good pay scale for Co Ops and working on real life projects

Cons

Sometimes when projects are done, you are just sitting around.

Quality, conservative company...but fading

Current Employee - Technology Engineer in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Technology Engineer in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

railroad retirement plan is superior to social security. very stable employer. above average pay. good benefits (but they are fading fast). For those who are lazy and have a high sense of entitlement, unfortunately, NS won't fire you.

Cons

railroad retirement makes it difficult to leave. they are cutting benefits each year. health care probably gone in a year or two. poor performers paid abt same as top performers. Top executives grant themselves the company college scholarships.

Reward based on performance. Get rid of bottom 5-10% would make a very efficient machine.

A great place to work, if you're in the office

Current Employee - Assistant Manager Accounting in Roanoke, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager Accounting in Roanoke, VA (US)

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic people to work with. Management is moving towards a behavioral approach to leadership. Pay is great.

Cons

Very traditional. Union labor holds antagonistic views which can be reciprocated by management. Computer software and systems are upgraded from archaic to obsolete, if you're lucky.

Keep encouraging the development of your team. Apply the behavioral tools to things like compensation, scheduling, and work/life balance.

Incompetent mid-upper management, but lots of interesting opportunities

Former Employee - Management Trainee
    Former Employee - Management Trainee

I worked at Norfolk Southern

Pros

Pay is good for managers- start $60K out of college

Cons

Travel- always on the road
    Your experience depends on who your manager is. If you have an incompetent manager, it's not worth it
    You will be moved around a lot for no reason

Think about why there is poor retention in new management. Actually try to solve it- don't just say "it's the railroad" or toss it up to the fact that its a 24/7 business operation

Supervisor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Altoona, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Altoona, PA (US)

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are good as to be expected by a major railroad company.

Cons

Working in operations is a terrible quality of life. Relocating to less that desirable locations, endless hours, terrible upper management that needs a serious rework. I have never been more disrespected in my life than I had when I started working in operations. Depending on where you are placed out of your initial training will define your career from there forward. Promotions are NEVER what you know, it is who you know and how long you have been with the company. Experience and knowledge mean nothing.

Does not value employees' personal lives

Current Employee - Assistant Supervisor
    Current Employee - Assistant Supervisor

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of room for upward mobility, primarily hire from within.

Cons

Communication is terrible on several levels. Job position is not what was described in interview. Expect you to devote entire life to company.

Excellent experience

Former Intern - Operation Research Intern in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Intern - Operation Research Intern in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I worked as a summer intern in operations research department. All the people I dealt with were very nice and helpful. My project manager introduced details very patiently and my colleagues in the same project were so nice to discuss with me and answer all my questions. The workload was moderate.

Cons

I was not familiar with railroad operations before it, so it took me more than a week to get familiar with the terms, operations and so on. It is a big company, so sometimes it is kind of slow if you want to get access to some database or software. Just need to be patient with the IT people.

Kind people and good learning

Former Intern - Electrical Engineeringthe Mechanical Department in Norfolk, VA (US)

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I had the pleasure of working as an intern at the coal pier in Norfolk, Va. Right near Virginia Beach, this was a beautiful area. I am an electrical engineering student and the supervisors at NS presented me with various projects that were not very mathematics or theory intense, however, they were valuable in-field learning experiences. I was able to witness the operations of power substations at the facility and actually see the replacement of an enormous old power transformer. I also got to view the operation of the facility's PLC network and establish fiber optic connections for a new video recording systems that they were implementing at the pier.

Cons

A coal pier is a dirty place, it is hard to do field work without getting a decent amount of coal on your clothing and hands but if you can get past that you will love it in Norfolk, the people are nice, funny and knowledgeable and they let you have a lot of freedom in the projects you pursue.

Nice place to work but small software team

Former Intern - Software Systems in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Intern - Software Systems in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very nice team to work with

Cons

Not a lot of movement within the company for software dvelopers

Norfolk Southern Photos