Norfolk Southern

Norfolk Southern Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Norfolk Southern Chairman, CEO, and Director Wick Moorman IV

Wick Moorman IV

Pros
  • pay and benefits, if you brown nose management will leave you alone (in 8 reviews)

• Great pay, solid support, unlimited ability to progress your career if you work hard (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is horrendous (in 6 reviews)

• They expect you to bleed railroad 24/7 (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Co-op experience

ProsDecent pay for a co-op position. There are multiple positions that you can be assigned to get a taste of all the work that gets done in this company.

ConsYou have no real options in choosing your co-op rotations. The work can be monotonous or non-existent at times...think spreadsheet filling. The entire co-op program seems unorganized and trying to find simple answers on the first day of work such as "Where do I get my name badge?" or "How do I access my payroll?" left a negative impression.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet up an orientation day for the co-ops, so they know the departments that they will work with, the relative job tasks of everyone including the co ops, as well as the usual HR fare.

It's pretty good.

ProsIf you are interested in transportation systems, NS will be your choice.

ConsI still have not found any cons at this point.

Learnt a lot about RF & Microwave Communications and SIgnals

Co-Op (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsA company with a very steady progressing future.

ConsHas limited number of Electrical Engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe tapping of talent is awesome, please keep up the good work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awefull thought I was working for the taliban.

Conductor (Current Employee)

ProsGood retirement thats about it..

ConsManagement Sucks..No people skill'z. Training needed for management, a lot from top to bottom. Outside company has to tell management (upper management) how to make more money by working with your employee's not against them. I believe once the old head management is gone company might be a great company to work for in about 10 yrs if even needed then. 3D printing should knock transportation stocks for a loop. Transporting people will probable sound good again to the railroads.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of paying a seperate company for advice ask your employees if you have any who can truly feel respected and appreciatied by management for the work there doing out there.

Good comapny

ProsPay, co workers, travel, benefits, retirement

ConsMove alot, disconnection with management

Advice to Senior Managementmore connection

gate clerk

Gate Clerk (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

Prosgood company to work for

Conshours are sometimes hard to deal with

IT Department: Toxic-Culture + Under-Performers = Lack of Quality and Innovation

Senior Developer (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsFortune 500 company with reasonable budgets for capital investments. Relatively stable company which is not as affected by economic downturns.

ConsThere is a toxic culture of dishonesty, hypocrisy, sketchy agreements, lack of accountability and negative politics throughout the IT Leadership. Promotions are tenure-based -- not merit based. Performers are punished rather than rewarded.

This environment attracts under-performers looking for an easy pension. Management is unwilling/unable to compensate top level talent with competitive salary ranges. Skilled IT-resources move on to better organizations while under-performers stay until retirement resulting in a perpetual "brain drain".

As an organization, there is no desire to be anywhere but the middle or rear of the "pack" in regards to IT capabilities. Until a major cultural change occurs, this company's IT Department will always be an industry-lagger rather than industry-leader.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture. (start with Forbes article: "The Key to Changing Organizational Culture")

Attract, reward and retain top-talent. (start with Dice article: "30 Ways to Attract or Repel the Very Best Employees in Tech")

The rest will happen naturally...

Helpful staff and enriching experience

ProsExcellent environment for interns. No deadline pressure.

ConsOverall good experience. They don't give big responsibility to co ops

Norfolk Southern

Norfolk (Former Employee)

ProsA company looking to find itself = plenty of advancement opportunities. Innovation is encouraged and rewarded. Many perks for employees that hopefully will survive in a down economy. Senior management gets out from behind their desk more than I've seen from other large companies. It's great they are willing to share a portion of their workday. That produces unseen, but very valuable returns.

ConsThere are many philosophical policy changes taking place in personnel, IT infrastructure, etc., needless to say, it is chaos at times. People are pushed to reach their fullest potential, so it is quite competitive, bordering on tarnishing the teamwork they are attempting to create. Feels like a shark tank at times, but that's why they are successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of these changes are behaviorial and systemic of an industry and generation (babyboomers), so do not give up when the gains stall. Stay the course.

Non family friendly completely money focused

Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) Roanoke, VA (US)

ProsHealth Insurance was good for the first few years when we had no co pay, then we started paying 300+ a month for it. Descent pay check ,

ConsWorked on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week, all weekends and holiday's, with no extra pay for working holiday. No time at all for family, they called you back to work after 10 hours rest, and you spent from 36 to 40 hours gone at a time. 120+ days a year in a hotel room. No where near enough pay for every thing you sacrifice. They always find a way to beat you out of your bonus's and you never got a pat on the back for working your hind end off. Always hiding in the bushes trying to catch you breaking a rule. Management at the local level was terrible. Twelve years of this and I called it quits!

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a fellow a Pat on the back once in a while, all we ever get is the negative. The only time you see a Supervisor was to tell you how you needed to do more and do better. Hire people in management that have a clue, the college grads you hire right out of college know nothing about the railroad, and they are suppose to be able to help you and 99% of the time I had forgotten more than they even knew about railroading!!

Worked for Norfolk Southern? Contribute to the Community!