Nortel Networks

Nortel Networks Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Nortel Networks President, Nortel Business Services Chris Ricaurte

Chris Ricaurte

Pros
  • Good work/life balance as long as you meet your deliverables(in 27 reviews)

• The ability to work from home was great(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management made poor buying decisions(in 29 reviews)

• Even through chapter 11 the company did what they could for their employees(in 14 reviews)

Excellent people, dodgy management

Software Engineer (Former Employee) London, England

ProsExcellent atmosphere due to good employees

Conspoor career progression through company

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your employees and communicate

Nortel Europe ruined my pension after 20 years of service

Programmer Manager (Former Employee) Harlow, England

ProsAccess to working on leading edge high speed, long distance data communications technology and the benefit of working with major customers such as British Telecom and collaboration with other European telcos such as Deutsche bundespost, France telecom, telettra, etc on major joint venture contracts.

ConsDeceitful management culture was rife, with use of major work stolen by senior managers and career advancement through merit non existent. Salary and career progression very poor with no additional reward for continuous professional development or gaining chartered engineer status.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealise that honesty and fair treatment of your professional staff is the best policy. Do not wait until your best technical staff find a better paid job and then hand in their resignation before you agree to promote them and pay them close to their true market value.

in the death throws of nortel

Finance Manager (Former Employee) Maidenhead, England

Prosnice people to work with

Conseverything else - constantley on the backfoot

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Large company struggling to change direction

Member of Scientific Staff (Former Employee) Maidenhead, England

ProsOpportunity to move to different teams and technologies
    Low pressure
    Good training

ConsNo career progression due to redundancies
    Low pay

Fall of a technology giant

Project Manager (Former Employee) Maidenhead, England

ProsExcellent technology and good pension benefits

ConsNortel Networks is now bankrupt

Golden Parachute for the execs, briks around the necks for everyone else

Project Manager (Former Employee) London, England

Prosgood team, good tech and learning

Consall outstanding money gone, why no pay?

Advice to Senior Managementdon't steal

Nortel

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people were the best reason to work at Nortel. The family atmosphere was amazing and compensated for other areas that were not there!

ConsThe corporate management that allowed the company to have to file for Chapter 11. This is the biggest shame ever!

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing more can be said to the Mgt. of Nortel Networks - everything that could be done to save the company, has not been successful.

Nortel - what does the future hold?

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunity for personal development. Loads of scope to get involved in projects. Good learning experience. Fantastic team, culture of respect.

ConsCurrent financial difficulties. Unknown future. It's a real shame for such a great company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck. Hope you can salvage something of the old Nortel

Leaders need to think about the workforce when taking risky decisions

Not Divulged (Former Employee) Maidenhead, England

ProsUsed to have the best technical people until the cuts 2000-2004 after which only the cheap & the political careerists kept their jobs at the expense of the good.

ConsIn bad times the company puts out only good news. Some of the great people who lost their jobs in the 2000-2004 IT winter, telecoms collapse also lost their lives due to the way things were handled back then. Numerous suicides went unreported.

Advice to Senior ManagementNever gamble the company future again by speculative acquisition of tiny technology companies for billions of dollars. It might get you noticed as a risk taking leader & help your career but the consequences can be very grave for the permanent workforce. Consider the effect of your actions on the livelihoods of the people who built the company's good products, engineering and reputation. Don't launch & sell products that may never get to market. Now in the twilight, you will be OK because you guys had the opportunity to amass wealth in a few short year but don't now complete the job by destroying the pension funds of those that did not have that opportunity by just working hard. Don't define your job just in legal and accounting terms.

If you're a lazy type and want to sit on your ass doing nothing all day then Join the other dead wood in Nortel.

Software Developer (Former Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland

ProsNone. No interest in their Staff only the select 'chosen one's' will get promoted, pay rises and bonus pay for long hours worked - forget about it.

ConsDepressing place to work.
    Management haven't a clue how to run a business.
    No career development opportunities.
    No pay rises

Advice to Senior ManagementStay with Nortel because you will not get a job with any other leading company. DEAD WOOD

Worked for Nortel Networks? Contribute to the Community!