North Star Resource Group

Updated 19 November 2014
Updated 19 November 2014
3.9

Phillip C. Richards

North Star invests in the people that work there

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about North Star is that there is a huge amount of opportunity for growth. They like to say that they recycle people. There are many people that work there that have started out in one role and moved to a different role because they found out it suited them better. The people and the culture are great and everyone has a lot of fun together.

Cons

It is a lot of hard work. People come into this career and don't realize how hard it is and they get frustrated. You have to be willing to talk to anyone without worrying about rejection.

Have more team building scavenger hunts, so much fun!!

Nov 21, 2014Talent Aquisition Specialist

Thank you for the encouraging words! You are right, we love to help people do what they love. We are working on the scavenger hunts, thank for the input!

Educational, exciting, fulfilling, incredible support and encouragement, ability to be challenged and rewarded

Current Employee - Client Relationship Coordinator
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Coordinator

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

The entire firm has a team atmosphere where everybody is helpful, you are challenged to be the best you can be, there are goals to meet and you are never bored, and there is a great opportunity for growth!

Cons

It is a lot of hard work, you must be comfortable with talking to people and don't take rejection personally, some days you will reach your goals and others you will not- this means it can be discouraging at times so you have to remember you are in control of your effort and not always the immediate results!

Keep up what you are doing - encouraging people when they reach their goals and fostering a great team environment!

Nov 21, 2014Talent Aquisition Specialist

We are so glad that you enjoy the North Star culture. That is excellent advice that this is a difficult career but is so worth it for those who persevere.

Not for me, but not bad experience

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at North Star Resource Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Independence
    Ability to grow your own business
    Very friendly people who are passionate about helping people with their financial affairs.

Cons

Mundane work
    Lack of mentoring among management
    Typical depressing intern environment

Try to inspire more excitement among your interns. Your output will only be so great if your inputs aren't excited to be there.

Nov 21, 2014Talent Aquisition Specialist

That is incredibly admirable that you know yourself well enough to see early on that this is not the right fit for you. We are constantly working on improving the internship experience and sincerely ... More

Awesome summer experience! Would definitely recommend to anyone

Current Employee - Intern in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at North Star Resource Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great, young environment filled with people interested in your success. I didn't feel like an intern, as everyone was very welcoming/friendly and it felt like I had been there for years. The team I was placed on became some of my best friends, and it made the work much more enjoyable. The training program was excellent, and I learned a lot throughout the summer.

Cons

The work can be stressful/frustrating at times, and it definitely takes a certain mindset to do the job.

Keep up the program! Although it wasn't for everyone, I, along with many others, had a fantastic experience with the program.

Nov 21, 2014Talent Aquisition Specialist

Thank you for your warm words! We are so happy that you get how amazing it is to work at a place where you actually want to hang out with the people that you work with outside of work. That is one ... More

North Star has a great culture of success and support

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture, flexible schedule, upward mobility/income potential

Cons

difficult to start your practice from nothing, compensation schedule is very confusing

increase the stipend for new advisors and give slightly better benefits, change the compensation method to make it easier to see how you are getting paid and from where

Nov 21, 2014Talent Aquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience so far at North Star. You are not alone in your confusion of understanding the compensation program. We as a leadership team have heard you and ... More

A challenging and very rewarding work environment

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work for myself, my extra efforts directly impact my career, I am only limited by myself

Cons

Under payed and overworked at the beginning of the career

Better marketing tools, better technology for client tracking

Nov 21, 2014Talent Aquisition Specialist

Great feedback. Hopefully, since you have written this you have already seen an improvement in our marketing materials. We have hired 3 new marketing specialists in the last year and they want to get ... More

My experience at North Star was very educational, I felt like I was taking a summer class and getting paid for it.

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Pros

Learning opportunities, team aspect of the office, the people we were working with, mentor program, open doors of Tony, Ed, Candice.

Cons

Sometimes only making cold calls was a bummer, I wish my mentor would have had a few more things for me to be working on.

Talk to mentors a little more about what you want from them. Otherwise it was a great experience.

Nov 21, 2014Talent Aquisition Specialist

What a great headline! We need to use that in our marketing materials. Thank you for appreciating the availability of our leadership as well. We realize that making cold calls can be a "bummer ... More

A great company culture, educational internship, useful insight into the career, terrific co-workers, learned a lot

Current Employee - Client Relations Coordinator
    Current Employee - Client Relations Coordinator

Pros

This company and the employees actually practice what they preach. They are truly ethical, honest, hardworking, and fun! The mentor program is great because the mentors have a lot to offer to intners and are willing to share their time and knowledge with the interns. My mentor always checked with us, made the internship a great experience, and NEVER looked down upon us.
    This internship is paid so its a great way to earn some money!
    We also had intern appreciation days each month of the internship; these were so much fun! The interns were treated to TopGolf, a grand meal at Uchiko, and a festive weekend trip to Galveston all paid for by the mentors. I never felt out of place during my internship here. All in all, a GREAT company culture, a very educational internship (learning about the career and also about myself), and a fun environment.

Cons

The interns are expected to prospect for clients which can sometimes be dry; it is a big barrier to entry in the career. Another con was that we did not get paid for attending client dinners which were mandatory.
    There was not a platform for the most successful interns to share how they are succeeding in the internship with the ones who were struggling.

Create a platform for interns to share what works for them and what does not so that the successful ones can help the ones who are not as successful.
    Be clear about the pay when hiring interns.
    Keep being ethical and creating such a great company culture!

Nov 21, 2014Talent Aquisition Specialist

What a great idea! We should start a panel so that the interns that are succeeding can share best practices with other interns as well as the mentors. Also, you might want to write an article of your ... More

A Company dedicated to building a strong culture and providing exceptional client service.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Quality work &commitment do not go unnoticed. As with any career, you should be required to demonstrate your value &North Star recognizes that.

Cons

We're in a client-centered business, which has both challenges & rewards.

Keep setting a great example and high standards for your team members to help them realize their full potential.

Nov 21, 2014Talent Aquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking time to write a review from a seasoned perspective. Your example is appreciated. Keep up the good work!

Great job with great people

I have been working at North Star Resource Group

Pros

Great place to work, learn, and lay down the foundation for a successful and rewarding career path! Wonderful and helpful people that truly want to help you succeed in all that you do and want you to accomplish all of your goals.

Cons

It is crucial that you are always working hard. A lot is expected out of you and you will work hard to get where you want to be.

North Star Resource Group Photos