Northwestern Mutual

3.7
1,553 Reviews

Northwestern Mutual Chairman and CEO John E. Schlifske
John E. Schlifske

Pros
  • Unlimited income potential, office culture, ten week program (test drive the industry) (in 56 reviews)

• Unlimited earning potential, full autonomy with work (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Will have to sell life insurance to friends and family which could be awkward for some (in 119 reviews)

• There is no base salary so getting started is very difficult (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern

Pros

Opportunities to make decent money.

Cons

You have to exploit your network of friends and family.

Great Experience. Not for everyone.

Current Employee - College Financial Representative in Traverse City, MI (US)
    Current Employee - College Financial Representative in Traverse City, MI (US)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment and culture to work in. Everyone wants to see you succeed and it shows with the way more experienced reps are willing to help you. Best advice to give is do joint-work AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Best way to learn early on and start to get a hang of the job. One of the best things I took away from this internship was all the personal finance knowledge you learn for yourself along the way.

Cons

Some days are tough. Clients blow off meetings, no one answers their phones, etc. Easy to get discouraged. It's like baseball: even the best reps only bat about .300 when it comes to succeeding. It will start to feel like your friends and family are the only people you can get through to. The great work/life balance is almost a con as well. If you aren't a self-motivated type of person, there may be too much freedom for you. Very easy on those bad days to close up shop and go do something else, because no one will tell you you can't. You literally get what you put into this job.

I have nothing but good things to say about the managers I met and worked for. The only reason I didn't stay with Northwestern was to experience a different kind of internship before I made any career decisions. Class act organization.

Different

Current Employee - Financial Representative in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Pays for training, also offers commission on those you sell the insurance to.

Cons

They want you to ask friends and family to buy their insurance. Better than cold calling but may ruin relationships.

Best in the industry

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

A company with much integrity and a great company culture

Cons

VERY hard to be a sales rep!

The company was home to me for many many years.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working there was great. The support received from the hone office is unmatched.

Cons

Individual leadership. After mandatory retirement for leaders at 65, you sometimes get far inferior leaders that step in.

Recognize loyalty when its there.

Great learning experience.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor Intern in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor Intern in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Great work life balance
    -Ability to set your own schedule
    -Opportunity to earn a very high income
    -Most people are willing to help you get ahead

Cons

-Commission only
    -There is a bit of a learning curve for people that do not have a whole lot of sales or customer service experience.

Financial Representative

Current Employee - Financial Representative
    Current Employee - Financial Representative

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Create your own hours and schedule, rewarding, strongest company in the industry, fantastic support and learning environment, reps are treated very well, created a simple, repeatable process. As part of the College program I highly recommend it because the experience and knowledge you gain about being a professional and about financial services is invaluable. However, I do not see myself pursuing this career post-graduation.

Cons

Commission, no base pay. It is very challenging at beginning of career to build your book of business (no leads are provided, they are all self-generated). In order to create any success, you must call every person you've ever met at the beginning. If this is a problem for you, you will not be able to make it in the first few months. Full time reps very often end up working 40+ hours a week, you definitely don't leave work at work, it comes home with you.

Base pay would be very helpful.

Financial Representative

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Good working environment, friendly people

Cons

Commission based, some times have to work weekends

Intern Introduced to the Modern Business World

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

If you are a salesman I think no other job in the world will do. Great earning potential. I enjoyed most of my co-workers. Tons of sales training. Plenty of opportunities to move up in the office environment.

Cons

Pure sales commission environment. You are expected to start your business immediately. Could be a locker room/boys club mentality in the intern and new rep. cube farm. Endless sales cliches.

I never had any issues with management. In my office they were good people and always willing to help. Management was active in training new hires and passing on experience and information.

Northwestern Mutual Photos