Novartis Pharmaceuticals

Updated 23 October 2014
3.5

Novartis Pharmaceuticals President André Wyss
André Wyss

Pros
  • Good work life balance with many activities for company bonding (in 38 reviews)

• Good work-life flexibility, good benefits, good program for continuing education reimbursement (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Work load is just too much and there is absolutely no work life balance at all (in 28 reviews)

• No work life balance and lack of promotion opportunity (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Many interesting years

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Hanover, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Hanover, NJ (US)

I worked at Novartis Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is a diverse environment, where you meet people from different countries and learn how they perceive the work environment. Novartis has a competitive atmosphere, making you strive to be the best you can be. It offers many opportunities that can help you grow in your career. I worked 24 years there and I wish I could have worked at least 15 more.

Cons

As with many other pharmaceutical companies, you feel your job is at jeopardy because of the contant restructuring due to patent losses and outsourcing to contract manufacturing, R&D and moving whole departments to other countries with cheaper labor or less regulation, like China.
    Raises were getting lower or none at all in the last few years. Promotions were many times based on who you know, not what you know, which can severely damage the competitive future of any company, by placing incompetent people in critical positions and creating a hostile or un satisfying environment.
    The personnel review process was based on forced distribution, or bell curve. Therefore, they had to "punish" some for that sake.

Management should concentrate more on the practical side of the company and less on theoretical training that just leads to waste of resources and time. Give credit where credit is due.
    Use your position wisely and recognize the real talent surrounding you and promote and reward accordingly.

Good experience

Current Employee - Medical Representative in Cairo (Egypt)
    Current Employee - Medical Representative in Cairo (Egypt)

I have been working at Novartis Pharmaceuticals full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good growth opportunity, very good training center

Cons

Very high employee turn over

Need more communication with staff

Chief Accountant

Current Employee - Chief Accountant in Cairo (Egypt)
    Current Employee - Chief Accountant in Cairo (Egypt)

I have been working at Novartis Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good environment, one of the best respectable Pharmaceutical company

Cons

Hard work environment, Un-work life balance

Solid and very ethic pharma company

Former Employee - Brand Manager
    Former Employee - Brand Manager

I worked at Novartis Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Novartis has a broad, differentiated and solid portfolio. It is motivating to work for a company that sells medicines that really benefit patients. Novartis is a very ethic pharma company, which is also something to be proud of. Compensation is ok, at the same level of the market.

Cons

Overlooks talent. The internal selection processes are not so clear, which is dis-motivating. Changes every now and then, so you never now what is going to happen with your area in the next 3 years, but I think this is something common between Pharmaceuticals.

The Management Team should make Human Resources develop a career plan for each one and try harder to implement it.

Sales rep

I worked at Novartis Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Good money and good benefits

Cons

Poor leadership as everyone is just a number

Culture

I worked at Novartis Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Strong leadership
    - Good benefits
    - Sufficient challenges
    - Flexible working environment

Cons

- To hierarchical and highly bureaucratic
    - Best talent is not always recognized; only the most nosy or visible ones are worshiped

- Management is too aggressive and top-down
    - Curtail hypocritical and egoistic mentality
    - Respect the local culture instad of building an ivory-tower bubble by which expats never integrate with locals
    - Encourage and nurture local talent instead of resorting to short-cut of importing boat-loads of so called 'best-talent' from across the world who are not only too expensive but also do not enrich the environment

Account Management

Current Employee - Key Account Manager in Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Key Account Manager in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at Novartis Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Big pharma, broad opportunities across multiple therapeutic disease states

Cons

Typical bureaucracy found in big pharma, challenging sales environment due to healthcare reform

Generally Positive Environment but Not Focused on the Big Stuff

Current Employee - Brand Manager
    Current Employee - Brand Manager

I have been working at Novartis Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in the consumer health division
    Pros: Upper Management makes an effort to support talent
    Reasonable budgets and brand marketing support

Cons

A bit too focused on the quarterly number at the expense of long term / strategic thinking

Overall a positive experience.

I have been working at Novartis Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Good pay, good opportunities, challenging environment, smart and hard working people.

Cons

Lots of politics which take a lot of time and effort to navigate (you will spend as much time trying to figure out who wants what and how to modify what you to do make them happy as you will actually doing work).

Very financially driven.

Work life balance and many other company policies are often lip service (this is a "do as I say not as I do" organization).

Divisions are, for all intense and purposes, different companies. What works at Alcon is likely totally different than what works at NIBR.

This organization lacks candor, it could be a case study of "what not to do" from Jack Welch's book "Winning."

Corporate politics I have never experienced before

I have been working at Novartis Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people with various backgrounds to work with.

Cons

This company is full of political games and if you are not playing it you are the looser. New positions are usually given to friends and allies not based on merit.

Novartis Pharmaceuticals Photos

Outside Novartis headquarters in Basel (Photo attributed to --Andrew- - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0)
Novartis