Novell Reviews

Updated 25 September 2014
Updated 25 September 2014
3.4

Kathleen Owens

Pros
  • Work life balance (though now it is changing at faster pace) (in 59 reviews)

• Good benefits, good development process for individuals, well understood business process (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management at times experience a disconnect from the work in the "trenches" (in 8 reviews)

• Most of the businesses are in the legacy space, little happening on developing new products (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Such a negative place to work

Former Employee - Technical Services
    Former Employee - Technical Services

I worked at Novell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

work/life balance. In other words, lots of people pretending to be far busier than they really are.

Cons

the constant, unrelenting stream of negativity from all around.

too late. Products used to be great but now they're poorly developed and bloated to meet analysts/Gartner requirements.

Avoid them

I have been working at Novell

Pros

There are some long term and enthusiastic customers

Cons

Novell is a has been company. No clear strategy or vision. Very political.

Leave

Good, if you don't need to feel safe in your post

Current Employee - Tss in Bracknell, England
    Current Employee - Tss in Bracknell, England

I have been working at Novell

Pros

The salaries are pretty good. I've been looking to move elsewhere for a while, and I haven't found any comparable positions at other companies where the salary is anywhere near. I've worked with some of the smartest, most socially adept people I've come across, but sadly most of them have been made redundant in the last two years. Some people at Novell are allowed to work from home, coming into the office only when necessary. I think that's a good thing, as they've told me it allows a lot of flexibility in working hours. As long as the job gets done, it doesn't matter when it gets done.

Cons

Career advancement, and professional growth. Every year Senior Management trots out the employee engagement survey, and one of the things that normally comes out of it is that these topics are something employees are not very happy with. They promise to do something about it, and then the next year nothing's happened. I've never been asked by any of my managers where I want my career going, or what training I think I need to grow profesionally. This isn't just me being lazy and complaining - Senior management always say that these conversations will be initiated by "your manager" over the course of the year.

Plus, it doesn't feel like a safe place to work any more. For the last four years or so, nobody feels safe in their position, as sweeping redundancies go through. It's gone past the point where they separate the wheat from the chaff - now they're throwing the wheat out too, as there's no chaff left.

Haven't a clue. Don't really care any more

Business Model Flawed, auditing customers to "catch them" will not grow business.

I worked at Novell full-time

Pros

Some very nice people work here.

Cons

This company is in decline. The name Novell shuts doors amazingly fast or has customers saying that they thought Novell was dead. No innovation. "Innovative" products are years behind the competition. Customers are ripping out Novell as fast as they can to move to Microsoft. The Novell strategy is to make it difficult for customers to move to something else. And if they do, to make it painful and costly, uncovering as many audit findings as possible. Make no mistake, the audit group drives this company (ala Attachmate), not sales.

Growth through audit won't happen. You're pushing away customers. Get in new blood and new products now, or wither and die.

Constant decline of market share, revenues, benefits and job satisfaction

Former Employee - Program Manager in Provo, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Provo, UT (US)

I worked at Novell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People - I stayed so long because of the people.

Cons

Too many to list, but all a result of the decline in market share and the acquisition by Attachmate.

A very good company but few bad managers destroying the brand name.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When I joined the company offered many benefits and extra facility, which eventually as day are passing are going for toss. Now no work from Home, previously it was there, there are few very good products to challenge the market.

Cons

Manager thinks he is the God.
    Send to some training which not at all in your domain or your skill set and but expects you should work on it.
    No definite way of salary hike, they do once in a year but in it may at the beginning or may be any time, so eventually you end up waiting upto one year six months for salary hike.
    No better career opportunity if you are not from a C++ or core system guy. They may ask you to leave when there requirement gets fulfilled, Beware.
    Work life balance is too hectic, sometimes 12 hour jobs is also not sufficient and you end up with your senior manager with some verbal argument when he questions your coding capability.
    Leadership quality is horrible, Manger thinks he is the GOD,
    No work from Home for certain managers.
    For taking leaves you have to beg for it, even if you work 10-12 hours in a day.
    Manager expects you should receive night calls and still apply for leave when required.

Please learn some management courses from some good institute and think about employees. Your employees are your great assets, they are not your slaves. If a guy resigning from a job 60% is the case because of the manager.

Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance.
    Excellent opportunities to learn if you join as a fresher.
    Management and team is good.
    Products are really very good.
    Work from home.

Cons

Salary is just okay, there should be periodic hikes and promotions on work basis not time basis.

Working with Novell

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Novell full-time

Pros

I enjoy work with novell, I found a lot of technical support and it´s a good place to work, to learn about security, os, ldap and other things.

Cons

Novell don't have investments in publicity and sometimes is very complicated sell their solutions.

Good exp of working with Novell

Current Employee - SSE in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - SSE in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture,Good work life bal,opportunitis to learn new stuff,oppor to work on all paltforms

Cons

Salary is not great,Bonus is not 100% everytime(recently it was only 20% of the entire amount)Higher management is not that great,Not visionary

Excellent

Current Employee - Senior Technical Specialist in Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Specialist in Jersey City, NJ (US)

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Professional people- management is good

Cons

Marketing could have been better. The products are really nice.

Marketing should be the focus -