Novell

Novell Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Not yet rated.

Kathleen Owens

Pros
  • Experience good Work-Life balance, No Micro Level Management(in 53 reviews)

• Good benefits, good development process for individuals, well understood business process(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management at times experience a disconnect from the work in the "trenches"(in 8 reviews)

• no future, no raises, outdated technology(in 6 reviews)

Such a negative place to work

Technical Services (Former Employee)

Proswork/life balance. In other words, lots of people pretending to be far busier than they really are.

Consthe constant, unrelenting stream of negativity from all around.

Advice to Senior Managementtoo late. Products used to be great but now they're poorly developed and bloated to meet analysts/Gartner requirements.

Avoid them

ProsThere are some long term and enthusiastic customers

ConsNovell is a has been company. No clear strategy or vision. Very political.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave

Good, if you don't need to feel safe in your post

Tss (Current Employee) Bracknell, England

ProsThe salaries are pretty good. I've been looking to move elsewhere for a while, and I haven't found any comparable positions at other companies where the salary is anywhere near. I've worked with some of the smartest, most socially adept people I've come across, but sadly most of them have been made redundant in the last two years. Some people at Novell are allowed to work from home, coming into the office only when necessary. I think that's a good thing, as they've told me it allows a lot of flexibility in working hours. As long as the job gets done, it doesn't matter when it gets done.

ConsCareer advancement, and professional growth. Every year Senior Management trots out the employee engagement survey, and one of the things that normally comes out of it is that these topics are something employees are not very happy with. They promise to do something about it, and then the next year nothing's happened. I've never been asked by any of my managers where I want my career going, or what training I think I need to grow profesionally. This isn't just me being lazy and complaining - Senior management always say that these conversations will be initiated by "your manager" over the course of the year.

Plus, it doesn't feel like a safe place to work any more. For the last four years or so, nobody feels safe in their position, as sweeping redundancies go through. It's gone past the point where they separate the wheat from the chaff - now they're throwing the wheat out too, as there's no chaff left.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaven't a clue. Don't really care any more

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company, somewhat relaxed environment.

ConsWhen the company was bought, about 800 people were laid off. Unfortunately I was one of them.

What use to be is no longer ,,,

Account Exed (Current Employee) Provo, UT (US)

ProsThere are still good people at Novell. A lot of flexibility doing your job.

ConsManagement does not reinvest in R&D. It takes years versus months for new product features.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about the customer (again).

Can be a career spoiler

Quality Manager (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsGood products and technology
    People are technically inclined
    Good work like balance

ConsNo major focus on quality improvement.
    No career path improvements for quality managers.
    Technical ability for managers not appreciated.
    Very less recognition for managers
    Quality Managers are stagnated
    Freshers are being hired to work on testing - which is very bad

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease help the quality managers improve their career paths. Create a separate ladder for quality managers.

Good hard-working people, but budget cuts rule

ProsGreat people - hard working and eager to help colleagues and customers. Awesome ideas and potential. Excellent, robust products.

ConsBudgets have been cut to the bone - so staff numbers, in my opinion, are well below what is needed to run this company. You will never have the latest mobile phone because it costs too much. Your long service award will be an email and a piece of paper saying how long you've been here. There is little chance for development or promotion. There are no incentives for non-sales staff aside from a bonus depending on the performance of the whole company. In-house technical courses are condensed into unacceptably short time-frames. For decades, the marketing department has been known for being exceedingly bad at marketing products (many internal jokes about "stealth marketing"). Overwhelming and unbalanced workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe workload on the technical teams is immense. The situation is not sustainable and the strain in these teams are become more and more visible with staff leaving, etc.
    Customers will become more and more frustrated with having to wait longer and longer for their enterprise systems to be repaired to a working state as the internal workload increases - and they will (continue to) walk away out of frustration no matter how good your technology is.

Nice People but not much happening

ProsWork Environment good
    Nice work life balance

ConsLess than Avg saaries
    Not much innovation

Advice to Senior ManagementDont treat everyone with the same stick
    Award people who perform

Good Work environment

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsAll Novell products are Superb

ConsShould use SUSE Linux, our own product instead of Windows

Not what it used to be

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people who appreciate their customers.

ConsNew senior management that seems to only understand value operations.

Worked for Novell? Contribute to the Community!