Novell

Novell Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Novell President & General Manager Bob Flynn

Bob Flynn

Pros:
  • "Experience good Work-Life balance, No Micro Level Management"
    in 50 reviews
  • "Good benefits, good development process for individuals, well understood business process"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management at times experience a disconnect from the work in the "trenches""
    in 8 reviews
  • "no future, no raises, outdated technology"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Such a negative place to work

Technical Services (Former Employee)

I worked at Novell full-time for more than 3 years

Proswork/life balance. In other words, lots of people pretending to be far busier than they really are.

Consthe constant, unrelenting stream of negativity from all around.

Advice to Senior Managementtoo late. Products used to be great but now they're poorly developed and bloated to meet analysts/Gartner requirements.

Avoid them

I have been working at Novell

ProsThere are some long term and enthusiastic customers

ConsNovell is a has been company. No clear strategy or vision. Very political.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave

Good, if you don't need to feel safe in your post

TSS (Current Employee)
Bracknell, England

I have been working at Novell

ProsThe salaries are pretty good. I've been looking to move elsewhere for a while, and I haven't found any comparable positions at other companies where the salary is anywhere near. I've worked with some of the smartest, most socially adept people I've come across, but sadly most of them have been made redundant in the last two years. Some people at Novell are allowed to work from home, coming into the office only when necessary. I think that's a good thing, as they've told me it allows a lot of flexibility in working hours. As long as the job gets done, it doesn't matter when it gets done.

ConsCareer advancement, and professional growth. Every year Senior Management trots out the employee engagement survey, and one of the things that normally comes out of it is that these topics are something employees are not very happy with. They promise to do something about it, and then the next year nothing's happened. I've never been asked by any of my managers where I want my career going, or what training I think I need to grow profesionally. This isn't just me being lazy and complaining - Senior management always say that these conversations will be initiated by "your manager" over the course of the year.

Plus, it doesn't feel like a safe place to work any more. For the last four years or so, nobody feels safe in their position, as sweeping redundancies go through. It's gone past the point where they separate the wheat from the chaff - now they're throwing the wheat out too, as there's no chaff left.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaven't a clue. Don't really care any more

Good employer. Departments are very flat hiearchically, with room for e-ees to take on interesting projects.

Attorney (Current Employee)

I have been working at Novell full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRelaxed work environment allowing flexibility to move schedule to attend kids sports activities.
Large enough have good community of co-workers. Small enough I can lead change.
Great local recreation (skiing and hiking).

ConsPay is fine, but probably not above industry average.

Great Company

Technical Support Engineer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Novell full-time for more than a year

Proseasy to work with. great with scheduling

Conslong hrs, lots of overtime.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more time manageable with employees and get rid of those who take advantage. work the hrs you need to work not let them get off working less.

Good people, Plan is to Get Return on Private Investment, NOT Growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Novell full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI loved the people in Provo and Seattle, they were great to work with. Benefits are great including the gym, cafeteria, outdoor facilities like basketball court and volleyball court. Great vacation benefits, decent healthcare, ok 401k

ConsOnly a few people know how to make a difference and they're held back by a financial model that worked at Attachmate to get return on investor purchase. If the company doesn't grow and they milk the investment, they get what they want. When that dries up, they'll buy another company. SUSE and NetIQ may be an exception but they are constrained by the same financial structure: strict hiring processes, very little R&D, and little focus on the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the GMs make decisions about hiring and firing. Consider investing more in existing products and businesses to try to turn things around rather than just milking the cow. A death spiral is no fun to be a part of.

Great experience

Technical Support Engineer II (Former Employee)
Provo, UT (US)

I worked at Novell full-time for more than a year

ProsIt was a great place to work, it was flexible and had great benefits. Had a gym with showers on site plus a great cafeteria. Had plenty of vacation.

ConsWas not much room to move up in the company. Lots of people had worked there a long time. There would often be an open spot that would get closed with no hire. Historically there had been many lay offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more opportunities for employees to grow.

excellent company to work with

Territory Manager (Current Employee)
New Delhi (India)

I have been working at Novell full-time for more than a year

Prosgood work life balance
great compensation
adequate learning

ConsNot challenging for people who have fire in belly

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter to be more focused on long term system improvement

Good place to work, but needs more focus in new trends

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Novell full-time for more than 5 years

Prosvery good work life balance.
Work and ownership at Bangalore IDC is great.
More core work done out of bangalore with full ownership.

ConsNeeds to focus more for latest trends
Legacy products is a baggage
Management must improve on product planning and staffing. Currently it is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay scale must be maintained per standard. The scale provided shows no parity with peers with respect to performance.

Novell is a good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Novell

ProsIts a good company to work for.

ConsThere are no real cons.

Worked for Novell? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Novell reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Novell CEO Bob Flynn . All 271 reviews are posted anonymously by Novell employees.