Novell

Updated 24 November 2014
Updated 24 November 2014
3.4

Kathleen Owens

Pros
  • Work life balance (though now it is changing at faster pace) (in 62 reviews)

• Good benefits, good development process for individuals, well understood business process (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management at times experience a disconnect from the work in the "trenches" (in 8 reviews)

• Most of the businesses are in the legacy space, little happening on developing new products (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Such a negative place to work

Former Employee - Technical Services
    Former Employee - Technical Services

I worked at Novell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

work/life balance. In other words, lots of people pretending to be far busier than they really are.

Cons

the constant, unrelenting stream of negativity from all around.

too late. Products used to be great but now they're poorly developed and bloated to meet analysts/Gartner requirements.

Avoid them

I have been working at Novell

Pros

There are some long term and enthusiastic customers

Cons

Novell is a has been company. No clear strategy or vision. Very political.

Leave

Good, if you don't need to feel safe in your post

Current Employee - Tss in Bracknell, England
    Current Employee - Tss in Bracknell, England

I have been working at Novell

Pros

The salaries are pretty good. I've been looking to move elsewhere for a while, and I haven't found any comparable positions at other companies where the salary is anywhere near. I've worked with some of the smartest, most socially adept people I've come across, but sadly most of them have been made redundant in the last two years. Some people at Novell are allowed to work from home, coming into the office only when necessary. I think that's a good thing, as they've told me it allows a lot of flexibility in working hours. As long as the job gets done, it doesn't matter when it gets done.

Cons

Career advancement, and professional growth. Every year Senior Management trots out the employee engagement survey, and one of the things that normally comes out of it is that these topics are something employees are not very happy with. They promise to do something about it, and then the next year nothing's happened. I've never been asked by any of my managers where I want my career going, or what training I think I need to grow profesionally. This isn't just me being lazy and complaining - Senior management always say that these conversations will be initiated by "your manager" over the course of the year.

Plus, it doesn't feel like a safe place to work any more. For the last four years or so, nobody feels safe in their position, as sweeping redundancies go through. It's gone past the point where they separate the wheat from the chaff - now they're throwing the wheat out too, as there's no chaff left.

Haven't a clue. Don't really care any more

Overall Good experience

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff II in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff II in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Good Career opportunities
    - Good Hikes
    - Nice culture & work life balance.

Cons

- Old legacy products
    - Limited Product development.

No advice

The only place to get retired from if you are well settled in your life.

Former Employee - Software Consultant in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Software Consultant in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Novell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's very employee friendly. Policy and benefits are really good despite of lots of trims in recent past. Employee recognition is always a priority and it's literally celebrated. Work-life balance is pretty good. Best is medical leave policy which offers you leaves at actual. Work is well defined and execution is also proper. Learning support is also on cards all the time.

Cons

Work from home not encouraged. Salaries are not up to the industry standard. Lots of oldies with feeling of ownership. Nothing much cutting edge in terms of work.

Bring it to level in terms of salary and perks and provide opportunity to work in a variety of cutting edge technologies, lots of older employees will be back.

Good company to work with

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1.Decent salary(earlier it was much better,have heard from seniors in novell that few years back the hike was between 20% to 30% for all the employees which is very rare oin IT industry)
    2.Lot to learn(Even the QA guys who already work o python get to learn java)
    3.Management is not bad but needs improvement.

Cons

1.In the last 2 years the annual hike is close to what a service based company gives.
    2.There are hardly any new entries in the higher management & most of them are working here for last 15 years & so have a little tendency of forcing their opinion on you at times.
    3.Company is not doing well & has been sold twice in last 5 years.

1.Try to match the compensation with contemporaries.

Overall good company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work life good balance.
    Great place for females

Cons

Pay comparative less to market standards.

Join only if you don't need salary hike and you are mentally strong to face daily torture

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Salary offered at the time of Joining is good.
    2. Good technical people .
    3. Complex product to learn

Cons

1.Company is not doing well so to cut cost they are hiring service company managers and these managers have brought worst culture in Novell . You may have to fight on hourly basis in office.These managers don't understand the product and will behave very bad with you.
    2.In last 3 years not seen a single Hike in salary,only hike you will see will be at the time of Joining.

1. What is the need to hire service company managers in a technical company .
    2. With price rise every where people need salary hike ,without salary hike how can someone survive in Bangalore?
    3. It is going just in Nokia direction ,promote research and development here.

good work.. .less salary

Current Employee - Software Consultant in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

agile model, systematic, good work life balance

Cons

less salary.. no guaranteed hikes, old technologies, old fashioned management.

Good exp of working with Novell

Current Employee - SSE in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - SSE in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture,Good work life bal,opportunitis to learn new stuff,oppor to work on all paltforms

Cons

Salary is not great,Bonus is not 100% everytime(recently it was only 20% of the entire amount)Higher management is not that great,Not visionary