OHSU

www.ohsu.edu

OHSU Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
OHSU – Portland – “Farmers Market on campus during the summer”

OHSU President Joseph Robertson Jr.

Joseph Robertson Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits, embrace diversity among employees, adhere to fair policy guidelines(in 15 reviews)

• The pay and benefits were great, people were really nice(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • management is self serving and working there is like a work mill for low pay, no pay raise entire tenure(in 4 reviews)

• The location is a drawback -- no parking, and public transit isn't always ideal(in 3 reviews)

Beautiful place to work. Smart people. Hard to get ahead. Low pay.

Research (Current Employee) Marquam Hill, OR (US)

ProsIf you like the NW, working at OHSU is heaven. On top of a hill overlooking scenic Portland, you can't beat it! People care about their work here and love meeting new faces.

ConsIt's very difficult to get a job here none the less move up the latter. The pay for lower-mid level positions is not competitive.

Takes care if their employees, but still a bureaucracy

Room Service Associate (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsThe work was rewarding, many of my co-workers were passionate, hard-working people. OHSU provides great benefits, designed to make it very possible to gain skills, and increase your prospects while employed. Further, the mission statement and policies have no-tolerance harassment and completely inclusive of family members and partners (before the law caught up).
     Once you have a job here, even at the bottom of the totem pole, it is very possible to work your way up, and get an education while working. It will take time.

ConsMiddle management can be condescending, or sticklers for unimportant (non performance related) details. However, in any entry level position that will be true, and the benefits and great policies overall make up for it.

bioengineers are not valued

Proslots of vacation and sick leave

Consvalue not recognized.
    no unpaid employee parking

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

bioengineers are not valued

Proslots of vacation and sick time

Consno parking for employees. this is a place for medical professionals. Although engineers are hired, their work is not valued despite hardwork.

Lack of organization and leadership

Marketing (Current Employee) Portland, OR (US)

Pros• OHSU has a great reputation in the Portland area (for the most part), so finding a similar job at another institution will be easier
    • Great medical benefits
    • Great work/life balance
    • My department was very flexible with work times (can come in whenever and leave 8 hours later)
    • Actual job duties were fun and challenging

Cons• Since OHSU is the largest employer in Portland (with nearly 14,000 employees) it is difficult to keep the company organized
    • Everyone wants to seem important. Higher education is heavily coveted
    • Low pay compared to similar positions at other companies/institutions
    • High turnover
    • Minimal/no space for advancement
    • Minimal respect for your co workers. I can't count how many meetings I've been to where people literally scream at one another. Unprofessional and creates a tense working environment
    • An incredible amount of gossiping amongst workers. Creates an unfriendly and distrusting office environment
    • Management is constantly changing and there is no direction or order. Makes it difficult to perform your tasks efficiently
    • Parking is ridiculous. Parking outside my building is $180 a month
    • Not a good place to work if you are uncomfortable with animal testing

Advice to Senior Management• Value current employees
    • Keep a positive, organized work environment for your employees

A mess

Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsThe tram is pretty and fun.

ConsManagement is less than stellar. Impossible to advance.

Wear many hats and herd many cats

ProsFirst, it's hard to make sweeping statements about a place that has hundreds of departments and 14K employees, but I'll try. There are many really good people working here (and a sociopath or two). Near downtown. It feels good to work in health care. I've worked in several departments and have had good managers in almost every job. I've worked on interesting problems, and have felt fairly secure - the union helps with that.

ConsIn some areas, the culture can tend toward "cover your tookus and protect your job," instead of "let's see what awesome things we can do when we work together as a team." Over time, this can give people a glazed look. Ultimately, I think that is a leadership problem, and there might be changes coming, slowly. There is no career ladder, you must make your own - the culture tends to hire outside people rather than promote internal folks. As with any academic health center, it is challenging to get everyone moving in the same direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep looking outside and emulating best practices - keep moving forward. Invest in infrastructure. Save money by tightening objectives, not by skimping on salaries and raises. Base goals and strategies on data, not on the status quo or some influential person's gut feeling. Spend money on people who want to collaborate. Hire managers who value collaboration.

Great place to start a career

Research Assistant I (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsGreat people who are active in many areas of their life. Culture is great. People have a genuine interest to get to know each other.

ConsPay is generally low and it is almost impossible to make a career change within the company. Note:former employee. Had to leave because I couldn't find a position within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp current employees interested in exploring other career opportunities within the company.

Great place for me at the time.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsI worked part time and still had benefits. Everyone in my small group were very supportive, friendly, and helpful. Hours were flexible.

ConsLack of parking meant having to commute to work every day. Other than that, everything was quite positive.

Technician that loves his job

Technician (Current Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsPeople are friendly and easy to work with.

ConsParking. Hospital being on a hill makes parking very limited. TRIMET buses do run frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time.

Worked for OHSU? Contribute to the Community!