OHSU Reviews

Updated 25 April 2015
178 reviews filtered by
3.6
OHSU President Joseph Robertson Jr.
Joseph Robertson Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits, embrace diversity among employees, adhere to fair policy guidelines (in 16 reviews)

• Low intensity employer, good benefits, relatively stable (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • management is self serving and working there is like a work mill for low pay, no pay raise entire tenure (in 4 reviews)

• The location is a drawback -- no parking, and public transit isn't always ideal (in 4 reviews)

1. Financial Specialist

I worked at OHSU

Pros

Casey Eye Institute was a great place to work: administrators who lead from behind rather than leading from the front; managers who balance revenue generating with being compassionate to their patients and employees; doctors who have patients that come from around the world to specifically receive care at Casey Eye and medical and admin staff who are the fulcrum of the institute.

Cons

Not enough physical space - Casey needs real estate to expand and it may not happen for a while

Advice to Management

Take calculated chances to expand the Institute

2. Research Assitant II

I have been working at OHSU part-time

Pros

Friendly working environment with supportive team members. Love the work place.

Cons

Salary is very low. barely survive with the income

3. OHSU is a good employer and servant of the region.

Current Employee - Senior Research Assistant in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Research Assistant in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for growth as well as a leading employer in the region.

Cons

Many salaries lower than community as an academic institution.

Advice to Management

Seek to reward employees for success while maintaining budgets.

5. Twenty-five years coming up through the ranks to leadership position

I have been working at OHSU full-time

Pros

It is a joy to be able to Help people who are sick or in distress. I do research in addition to seeing patients. The mix of clinical care, research and training new clinicians and scientists is wonderfully rewarding on a personal level. There is always something new.

Cons

The leadership is over driven by the bottom line which although obviously of great concern for any business, does not create a culture of caring within the institution's workers. There is no sense of loyalty or appreciation to many of the employees. Much attention is placed on process, finances, how to pay for paper clips rather than a bigger picture. Proactive strategic planning is not a priority except in a PR sense.

Advice to Management

Pay attention and take better care of your key assets - your employees (amazing clinicians, scientists and educators) - as well as your patients.

6. Meh. Shiny exterior, old-fashioned interior.

Former Employee - Senior Trainer in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Trainer in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at OHSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

OHSU has great name recognition as one of the largest employers in the Portland Metro Area. It's an interesting and beautiful work environment -- particularly working on the Hill and surrounding locations. Although I'd never go back there, I feel my career has benefitted by having OHSU on my resume. I sought out and got to work with a handful of amazing people that I learned a lot from.

Cons

The organization does not come close to the shiny, innovative, cutting edge appearance that it displays to the outside world. Inside, it's an old fashioned, stunted bureaucracy of siloes with many people punching the clock for a paycheck. It's not terrible, it's just mediocre and humdrum without much concern for changing. The unionized environment is what it is, but I saw nearly no evidence that the unions directly made a better work experience for employees -- instead fueling animosity, skepticism, and ugly spin that seemed to serve the union more than the employees.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees more, lighten up, try to have real relationships even though some employees are "represented." Work to include yourself more as an employee of OHSU, rather than a "Manager" as if it's something better/more than.

7. Clinical-Research-University Setting,Great Benefits, Job Security,Room for Growth and Promotions

Former Employee - Lab Assistant
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant

I worked at OHSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Promotes continued education in that part of the cost of tuition to any Oregon University is payed for via OHSU
    -Highers from within before advertising to the public so one has a greater chance of moving up the ladder from within (I moved from the Food and Nutrition Dept to the Surgical Pathology Dept)
    -Great for bicyclist. They give $50 for every 30 days of riding your bike to work.

Cons

Not a hot spot for car driver since there is very limited costly parking.
    Union dues.
    Union allows for lazy co-workers and sexually harassing management in the Food and Nutrition Dept. I couldn't say for the rest.
    Steep hill to ride up via bike but they have a tram.

8. Was a temp for the business services department

Former Contractor - Document Specialist in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Contractor - Document Specialist in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at OHSU as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great supervisor. I was filling in for a person on medical leave, and the rest of the team seemed really supportive of this person, hoping that they'd soon return.

Cons

The job itself was a lot of filing, etc., which wasn't too exciting.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

9. Good work life balance, amicable people, and great research facilities

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Top quality research facilities and shared resources, research culture is casual and not stuffy, 40-50 hour work week is normal not 80+ hour work week, benefits are comfortable and generous

Cons

Lack of diversity, transportation and parking are a pain, location of main and waterfront campus are isolated from most of Portland, ONPRC is isolated from main campus, low pay and low raise

Advice to Management

pay levels are low and don't seem to increase at the same rate as the cost of living in Portland

10. Registered Nurse Medicine Unit

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at OHSU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nurse to patient ratio always stays within limits, mostly nurses are competent and friendly. A full time RN has to commit to work three days on a weekend in a month instead of typical four days.

Cons

Chain of command is not followed, management does not follow a clear set of orders to apply to all staff therefore new employees are being left out, rules and regulations are not clear every person has their own different story about procedure. Management is not very professional and relies on he says she says basis when reprimanding.

Advice to Management

Manager should give clear cut instruction to an employee if the standard nursing care is not provided. There should be a system to give verbal and written warning instead of firing someone right away. A manager should go over skills list that an employee is required to fill out on their first day to provide training on skills that one does not have or lacked at the previous job. Management should develop a chain of command where given roles actually perform their duties. Management should be responsible for providing environment where one can grow and learn.

11. Research Associate

I worked at OHSU

Pros

Fun place to work. The people are great, cafeterias suprisingly good, amazing library access and a Farmer's market to boot! The vacation and holiday time off is excellent.

Cons

Parking and pay!!! Pay is insulting for masters level research staff. Business data analysts are making substatially more than masters level statisiticians with less education and experience. Parking is also a major issue. Public transportation is very difficult for working families which means paying $240 per month to park (on a low salary).

Advice to Management

Pay research staff what they are worth and reduce parking costs. Until this changes, other hospitals in the area will take your talent.

OHSU Photos

Farmers Market on campus during the summer

+ Add Photo