Office Depot

2.8
1,514 Reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Company is well focus to create customer service as their number goal (in 67 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule - Basically get to create you own schedule (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 71 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 66 reviews)

More Highlights

A company full of opportunities

Former Employee - Marketing & Merchandising in London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing & Merchandising in London, England

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are fine. Growth opportunities if you have the entrepreneur and know how to manage internal politics.

Cons

Due to the location, there is not really a diverse team (different nationalities & backgrounds) the company spends too much time reorganising the business (every two years) and instead of understanding customers.

The benefit of the whole company should be priority, instead of individual careers and egos.

Good company to work for

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for Office Depot in the UK and can say honestly that overall they are a great company to work for. The benefits are good, with private health care, eye tests, enhanced holidays on longer service and more importantly great people.

Cons

Personal development seems to take place with senior management more than the regular staff. This needs to be addressed. Some not all of the managers like to micro manage which has quite a negative impact on you. Lots of pressure to please customers which I don't disagree with however should employ more staff

Support people in their development not just senior managers

Managed by people who do not care about the company

Current Employee - IT Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Warehouse facilities however not fully used
    Merge with Office Max
    Great training department

Cons

Managers who represent suppliers interests esp. one consulting company
    Money wasted on IT projects
    Over-employment
    No vision
    No culture, no values, hypocrisy
    Outsourced IT helpdesk below any standards

Revise IT projects in Europe and how money is spent. Make sure that managers' past employment do not influence suppliers choice....

A company that lacks appreciation or respect for its employees

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Office Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This job provided me flexible part time work while I was in college. The interview was fairly easy, and the general manager was friendly (but rarely seen).

Cons

There was no training. They literally walked me out to the sales floor and told me to start helping customers on my first day. It felt like I was being thrown to the wolves. Eventually I navigated my way around the business, and began to build confidence through my own self-training. After a month, my numbers were three times the next highest sales associate, and seven times the quota set for us. Despite this, I was still treated rudely by managers outside of my department- one time I was berated for taking a break that had been approved by my department manager and coworkers.

When employees are surveyed about what they value most in their employer, respect and appreciation beat benefits and wages. I was willing to (and I did) give this job my best effort even though I was only being paid around minimum wage; however, I quit because I was neither respected or appreciated.

The green shoots of recovery are starting to appear...

Current Employee - Accountant in Leicester, England
    Current Employee - Accountant in Leicester, England

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Interesting work and challenging times. Office Depot UK are trying to drag themselves out of a poor last few years' performance which provides opportunities for employees with the enthusiasm to drive change. A number of Board-Level changes seems to have revitalised senior management and new business initiatives are showing promising early signs.

Cons

Staff morale seems to be taking a backseat in the relentless, US-led, drive to reduce operating costs to an unsustainable level. Some departments seem poorly managed and appear to operate inefficiently. Sometimes it feels like good work goes unappreciated and others are rewarded simply for doing their job rather than overperforming.

Pay more attention to the needs of your staff. Say "No" to the US once in a while.

Great for Part time

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Lexington, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Lexington, SC (US)

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at the Office Depot in Lexington, SC for about 4 months, and we had a very experienced, intelligent team of people that genuinely cared about giving the customer a good experience.

Cons

There was a very loose system of giving credit to selling protection plans where the cashiers would take credit for selling the plan after the sales team did all of the work. If you didn't follow that customer all the way through the POS process, there was a chance you wouldn't get rewarded for your hard work. Also, the inventory system was constantly wrong and we would tell the customers that we had an item in stock when indeed we did not.

Set more reasonable sales goals. Also, make sure the entire team is trained in using the inventory system so that when an item is sold, it will no longer appear in the system.

Loved the company and would still be there if not for merger layoff.

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

Good chances for advancement, great benefits.

Cons

Management has lost that human touch

WHen you are conducting layoffs, do it person to person instead of a recorded message.

Okay Job

Former Employee - Department Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

They will never fire you as long as you do your job. That being said the job is pretty demanding. You run the floor and you are also overseeing all cash office and back office. They gutted all non-manager full time positions and basically left you with cashiers and floor sales associates.

Cons

They will never promote you. You will end up training off the street people to be store manager while you get passed over again and again. I literally saw people with no experience and a bachelor's degree get store manager while I was told no promotions were available to me.

Look at the talent pool within the company for senior positions (ie store manager)

Customer experience manager

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

U meet nice people, pay Is ok.

Cons

Lots of rude customers in copy and print area.

Company is going through alot of changes and customers believe they are over priced

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have a wide variety of products to choose from.

Cons

The workers are chosen very poorly. Managers don't hire competent sales help. They are paid the same as competent employees. The managers are just trying to get warm bodies.

I would advise the management to be consistent and hire qualified employees.