Office Depot

2.8
1,488 Reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Good customer service skills training and overall good experience for further retail Jobs (in 65 reviews)

• Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 71 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

A company full of opportunities

Former Employee - Marketing & Merchandising in London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing & Merchandising in London, England

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are fine. Growth opportunities if you have the entrepreneur and know how to manage internal politics.

Cons

Due to the location, there is not really a diverse team (different nationalities & backgrounds) the company spends too much time reorganising the business (every two years) and instead of understanding customers.

The benefit of the whole company should be priority, instead of individual careers and egos.

Good company to work for

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for Office Depot in the UK and can say honestly that overall they are a great company to work for. The benefits are good, with private health care, eye tests, enhanced holidays on longer service and more importantly great people.

Cons

Personal development seems to take place with senior management more than the regular staff. This needs to be addressed. Some not all of the managers like to micro manage which has quite a negative impact on you. Lots of pressure to please customers which I don't disagree with however should employ more staff

Support people in their development not just senior managers

Managed by people who do not care about the company

Current Employee - IT Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Warehouse facilities however not fully used
    Merge with Office Max
    Great training department

Cons

Managers who represent suppliers interests esp. one consulting company
    Money wasted on IT projects
    Over-employment
    No vision
    No culture, no values, hypocrisy
    Outsourced IT helpdesk below any standards

Revise IT projects in Europe and how money is spent. Make sure that managers' past employment do not influence suppliers choice....

A company that lacks appreciation or respect for its employees

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Office Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This job provided me flexible part time work while I was in college. The interview was fairly easy, and the general manager was friendly (but rarely seen).

Cons

There was no training. They literally walked me out to the sales floor and told me to start helping customers on my first day. It felt like I was being thrown to the wolves. Eventually I navigated my way around the business, and began to build confidence through my own self-training. After a month, my numbers were three times the next highest sales associate, and seven times the quota set for us. Despite this, I was still treated rudely by managers outside of my department- one time I was berated for taking a break that had been approved by my department manager and coworkers.

When employees are surveyed about what they value most in their employer, respect and appreciation beat benefits and wages. I was willing to (and I did) give this job my best effort even though I was only being paid around minimum wage; however, I quit because I was neither respected or appreciated.

The green shoots of recovery are starting to appear...

Current Employee - Accountant in Leicester, England
    Current Employee - Accountant in Leicester, England

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Interesting work and challenging times. Office Depot UK are trying to drag themselves out of a poor last few years' performance which provides opportunities for employees with the enthusiasm to drive change. A number of Board-Level changes seems to have revitalised senior management and new business initiatives are showing promising early signs.

Cons

Staff morale seems to be taking a backseat in the relentless, US-led, drive to reduce operating costs to an unsustainable level. Some departments seem poorly managed and appear to operate inefficiently. Sometimes it feels like good work goes unappreciated and others are rewarded simply for doing their job rather than overperforming.

Pay more attention to the needs of your staff. Say "No" to the US once in a while.

Customer focus

I worked at Office Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Title says it all. Company is well focus to create customer service as their number goal. Management motivates employee to give 100% customer service.

Cons

Only con about this company is that growth is no where. If you like to grind day in and day out, then this is the place you can work for.

Typical warehouse environment

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

Decent Salary and Bonus potential

Cons

Long hours and unrealistic expectations

Good company but not all departments are great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have a great on-boarding process to familiarize new hires with the culture. The main campus (hq) is awesome. The building is huge and has a car wash, dry cleaning drop-off, credit union, cafeteria and post office. The company also seems to care about employees and holds various events through out the year. I think the company itself is a great one despite the current hectic period.

Cons

While the company is good, it's huge which means each department is kind of doing its own thing. Unfortunately, I am in a department that's very scattered and seems to be a target. Our processes change daily (literally) and we're held to a different standard. All eyes seem to be on the department and it's uncomfortable.

Treat departments fairly and hold everyone to the same standard.

Typical Retail Management job

Current Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary and bonus structure

Cons

Schedule, long hours, unrealistic expectations

Allow management within the building to run their own business

Great job for high school students or college students who need a flexible schedule.

Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Totowa, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Totowa, NJ (US)

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy job and time flies by since there is always something to do. Great way to gain customer service experience.

Cons

Some of the challenges there can usually be caused when there is little staff to assist in daily tasks. Tasks begin to accumulate and store becomes messy.

Stop cutting hours when there are many tasks to get accomplished. Always have backup personnel and maintain current staff motivated.