Office Depot Reviews

2.8
1,459 Reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Positive attitudes and customer service create an upbeat work environment (in 64 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule - Basically get to create you own schedule (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 71 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

A company full of opportunities

Former Employee - Marketing & Merchandising in London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing & Merchandising in London, England

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are fine. Growth opportunities if you have the entrepreneur and know how to manage internal politics.

Cons

Due to the location, there is not really a diverse team (different nationalities & backgrounds) the company spends too much time reorganising the business (every two years) and instead of understanding customers.

The benefit of the whole company should be priority, instead of individual careers and egos.

Good company to work for

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for Office Depot in the UK and can say honestly that overall they are a great company to work for. The benefits are good, with private health care, eye tests, enhanced holidays on longer service and more importantly great people.

Cons

Personal development seems to take place with senior management more than the regular staff. This needs to be addressed. Some not all of the managers like to micro manage which has quite a negative impact on you. Lots of pressure to please customers which I don't disagree with however should employ more staff

Support people in their development not just senior managers

Managed by people who do not care about the company

Current Employee - IT Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Warehouse facilities however not fully used
    Merge with Office Max
    Great training department

Cons

Managers who represent suppliers interests esp. one consulting company
    Money wasted on IT projects
    Over-employment
    No vision
    No culture, no values, hypocrisy
    Outsourced IT helpdesk below any standards

Revise IT projects in Europe and how money is spent. Make sure that managers' past employment do not influence suppliers choice....

A company that lacks appreciation or respect for its employees

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Office Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This job provided me flexible part time work while I was in college. The interview was fairly easy, and the general manager was friendly (but rarely seen).

Cons

There was no training. They literally walked me out to the sales floor and told me to start helping customers on my first day. It felt like I was being thrown to the wolves. Eventually I navigated my way around the business, and began to build confidence through my own self-training. After a month, my numbers were three times the next highest sales associate, and seven times the quota set for us. Despite this, I was still treated rudely by managers outside of my department- one time I was berated for taking a break that had been approved by my department manager and coworkers.

When employees are surveyed about what they value most in their employer, respect and appreciation beat benefits and wages. I was willing to (and I did) give this job my best effort even though I was only being paid around minimum wage; however, I quit because I was neither respected or appreciated.

The green shoots of recovery are starting to appear...

Current Employee - Accountant in Leicester, England
    Current Employee - Accountant in Leicester, England

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Interesting work and challenging times. Office Depot UK are trying to drag themselves out of a poor last few years' performance which provides opportunities for employees with the enthusiasm to drive change. A number of Board-Level changes seems to have revitalised senior management and new business initiatives are showing promising early signs.

Cons

Staff morale seems to be taking a backseat in the relentless, US-led, drive to reduce operating costs to an unsustainable level. Some departments seem poorly managed and appear to operate inefficiently. Sometimes it feels like good work goes unappreciated and others are rewarded simply for doing their job rather than overperforming.

Pay more attention to the needs of your staff. Say "No" to the US once in a while.

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I have been working at Office Depot as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

All-in-all, my team, which is the mobile team is by far the most exciting team I have ever worked with.

Cons

Jobs have their own down sides. Some times I get very busy and over burden myself.

Keep it up

It was an okay job if you worked "full-time."

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Garland, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Garland, TX (US)

I worked at Office Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a fairly simple and easy job. Great coworkers, great managers and very cooperative and flexible to your needs.

Cons

Very routine day to day job. Same thing different day. Corporate is very cheap. Under payed work. No more than 30 hours a week. Incredibly hard to get a raise.

Good Enviroment, Friendly Management

Former Employee - Tech Associate in Greensboro, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Tech Associate in Greensboro, NC (US)

I worked at Office Depot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Customers, Commision and Base Pay, Good Hours

Cons

Can get hectic, you have to know how to do everything in the store at any given moment

Communicate

I loved working for Office Depot.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Waxahachie, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Waxahachie, TX (US)

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast advancement, good hours, good pay. I enjoyed the people I worked with. Fun, friendly atmosphere. I had fun at work most days

Cons

Always changing policies, hard to keep up with all the changes sometimes. There isn't usually enough staffing and cross training for the CPD

Listen to your employees. They're the ones working on the front lines every day and they just may know another way to do things that will make business run more smoothly.

Assistant Store Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work with great opportunity for advancement. Great company to learn all aspects of retail and customer service.

Cons

Compensation is not as good as other retail chains with long hours. Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results the company wants/