Office Depot

Updated Jul 21, 2014

2.8 1,332 reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith

Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • The company is dedicated to customer service, so you definitely learn how to deal with people(in 55 reviews)

• Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career(in 64 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants(in 63 reviews)

1,332 Employee Reviews

A company full of opportunities

Marketing & Merchandising (Former Employee) London, England

ProsSalary and benefits are fine. Growth opportunities if you have the entrepreneur and know how to manage internal politics.

ConsDue to the location, there is not really a diverse team (different nationalities & backgrounds) the company spends too much time reorganising the business (every two years) and instead of understanding customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe benefit of the whole company should be priority, instead of individual careers and egos.

Good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked for Office Depot in the UK and can say honestly that overall they are a great company to work for. The benefits are good, with private health care, eye tests, enhanced holidays on longer service and more importantly great people.

ConsPersonal development seems to take place with senior management more than the regular staff. This needs to be addressed. Some not all of the managers like to micro manage which has quite a negative impact on you. Lots of pressure to please customers which I don't disagree with however should employ more staff

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport people in their development not just senior managers

Managed by people who do not care about the company

IT Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsWarehouse facilities however not fully used
    Merge with Office Max
    Great training department

ConsManagers who represent suppliers interests esp. one consulting company
    Money wasted on IT projects
    Over-employment
    No vision
    No culture, no values, hypocrisy
    Outsourced IT helpdesk below any standards

Advice to Senior ManagementRevise IT projects in Europe and how money is spent. Make sure that managers' past employment do not influence suppliers choice....

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company that lacks appreciation or respect for its employees

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThis job provided me flexible part time work while I was in college. The interview was fairly easy, and the general manager was friendly (but rarely seen).

ConsThere was no training. They literally walked me out to the sales floor and told me to start helping customers on my first day. It felt like I was being thrown to the wolves. Eventually I navigated my way around the business, and began to build confidence through my own self-training. After a month, my numbers were three times the next highest sales associate, and seven times the quota set for us. Despite this, I was still treated rudely by managers outside of my department- one time I was berated for taking a break that had been approved by my department manager and coworkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen employees are surveyed about what they value most in their employer, respect and appreciation beat benefits and wages. I was willing to (and I did) give this job my best effort even though I was only being paid around minimum wage; however, I quit because I was neither respected or appreciated.

The green shoots of recovery are starting to appear...

Accountant (Current Employee) Leicester, England

ProsInteresting work and challenging times. Office Depot UK are trying to drag themselves out of a poor last few years' performance which provides opportunities for employees with the enthusiasm to drive change. A number of Board-Level changes seems to have revitalised senior management and new business initiatives are showing promising early signs.

ConsStaff morale seems to be taking a backseat in the relentless, US-led, drive to reduce operating costs to an unsustainable level. Some departments seem poorly managed and appear to operate inefficiently. Sometimes it feels like good work goes unappreciated and others are rewarded simply for doing their job rather than overperforming.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the needs of your staff. Say "No" to the US once in a while.

Great Company

Sales Consultant - CPD (Former Employee) Tampa, FL (US)

ProsCustomers are great. Training opportunities.

ConsSome employees were not motivated to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher more mature and enthusiastic people.

Only care about getting the extra sale. Not about the customer

Sales and Freight (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsNice and friendly people to work with.

ConsThe main manager would hound me about making the extra sales. I would get add ons but that doesn't mean to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf a person isn't doing what you need them to do then figure out where they would be most effect.

Great company to work for!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat job if you are tech savvy, or wish to become tech savvy! Plenty of employee's willing to assist you in learning the ins and outs of computer's and software's. Offers many perks, health and life insurance for full time, as well as offers credit union enrollment. Room for advancement

ConsNot that this is much in the way of a con, must be a people person and customer service be a priority to you.

A great environment and great diversity. Poor benefits with very few hours and often understaffed due to lack of payroll

Customer Service Specialist I (Former Employee) Madison, MS (US)

ProsFriendly, helpful co-workers. Great diversity of co-workers and customers. Clean, organized environment. Cross-training is supported and encouraged. Many locations for transfers if needed.

ConsThe benefits are poor, insurance is pricey and inadequate. The hours are very lean and unpredictable from week to week.

Good job, bad pay, lots of pressure

Tech Associate (Current Employee)

ProsI love the actual work I do. I get to talk to people, find out what's going on in their lives, and recommend what would work well in their life. Most of the people you meet in this job are friendly. Some are downright fantastic to spend time with, the type of people you'd like to sit down to lunch with. Even excluding those, the vast majority are simply people either in a rush or not willing to express their personal skills.

Something I haven't taken advantage of yet, but you get some great benefits right off the bat. Within a few weeks, I was told I'm allowed to go into a 401K (which, let's be honest, I'm working a job just over minimum wage so obviously I don't care about that right now), there's some minimal upping from government healthcare, and just two weeks in I was told I have a full week of paid vacation per month.

If you need time off, you can take it with enough advance warning. Even if you don't manage to get it off, the people around you are willing to take, give or trade shifts. The weeks I was busy I could give shifts to people. The weeks I was free and just needed money I could get shifts from others to get me just shy of 40 hours (any more than that you're in overtime, and if you're part time they very much frown on that... in fact it's more like a growl).

The employees that stay there more than a month tend to be people you'll like and be able to depend on for help while you're training. Your fellow employees are (almost always) great.

ConsYou are not paid enough for what they are expecting of you. For eight dollars an hour, who on earth would care about the store's monthly sales reports? Yes, I get why the store manager cares. But why should I care? If we sell an extra laptop, but I don't get any sort of commission because I wasn't able to sell the customer on a Product Protection Plan (aka PPP, aka warranty, aka a waste of money in almost all cases), what is it to me?

Of course you're going to get a few awful customers, that's par for the course in any retail job. The big issue with OD is the manager's (I'm sorry, L.O.D.'s) obsession with reaching the numbers. We need to have an 85% satisfaction rating in our customer feedback surveys. This means that getting a 4 out of 5 is actually bad for the company's score, yet you're expected to give feedback cards to every single customer. It's a double edged sword. If you only hand the cards out to customers who you feel will give you a great review (you made a wonderful personal connection, they had a problem that you spent a lot of time on and managed to fix, etc) you get trouble for not handing out enough survey cards. If you hand out survey cards indiscriminately, your name could be attached to a survey that is less than perfect, and you're noted for that as well.

Our store has all these goals: reach X amount in tech sales, reach Y amount in Copy and Print, etc. And there is absolutely no incentive for any employee to help reach those goals. Hell, if you sell a giant product in technology and they don't buy a PPP (Product Protection Plan) you may not even get a commission. And the commissions you do get aren't life changing (this is, of course, assuming you're in tech sales, the only department that actually sells things that make commission. If you're in Copy and Print, no such luck).

Your store WILL be overstaffed for the slow times, and overwhelmingly understaffed for the busy times. There's one manager on duty at all times, VERY RARELY two at the same time. This may not seem like a big deal, but consider the possibilities (all of which I've actually experienced): the technology person is busy with a customer, so the manager is forced to cover the next tech customer. I've been in one of these sales that has lasted nearly two hours, and since customer satisfaction is number one, we can't bail on a sale. So our manager may be indisposed for a long time. We need managers and their codes for such trivial things as returns over a certain price, coupon discounts over a certain amount (even if the coupon is something they have in their hand), any issue a particular customer has, etc.

As far as the social environment goes, maybe this is just the store I work at, but while we're allowed to be nice to each other, if we manage to stand together long enough to strike up a legit conversation, most of the managers will try to break us up to do work that isn't even work, even if there's no reason to move. C'mon, let us have some down time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a good job, stop making it so frustrating. When it comes to the cash register, customers should be able to select credit over debit on their own. Cashiers should be able to select whether the receipt is printed or emailed, since 99% of the time we're instructing the customers anyway, so let's save us all some time and hassle. And forget the notification asking if we bought stamps, give us one to ask if we asked for their Depot rewards number. I guarantee you, we forget that far more often.

Stop the pressure on cashiers to do the upsell. Spend an 8-hour day cashiering, then tell me it's still a great idea to push stamps, a ream of paper and printer ink on every single customer. Some people very obviously want to just get the hell out of there, pushing products on them just gives them a negative impression of us as pushy people. NOT EVERYBODY WANTS THE UPSELL! I totally get asking somebody who is buying ink to get paper. Same with a printer. But THEY CAME IN FOR PENS! They don't want a twenty pound ream of paper.

Seriously, every single manager for this company making these policies should spend an entire, eight hour day, working in each of these positions. Spend a full day trying to push reams of paper to people spending 98 cents on a folder, or obviously just trying to get a roll of register paper and get out.

Don't get me wrong, the job itself is awesome. I love what I do. I HATE the way you make me do it.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!