Office Depot

Updated Jul 28, 2014

2.8 1,345 reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith

Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Positive attitudes and customer service create an upbeat work environment(in 57 reviews)

• Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career(in 64 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants(in 63 reviews)

1,345 Employee Reviews

A company full of opportunities

Marketing & Merchandising (Former Employee) London, England

ProsSalary and benefits are fine. Growth opportunities if you have the entrepreneur and know how to manage internal politics.

ConsDue to the location, there is not really a diverse team (different nationalities & backgrounds) the company spends too much time reorganising the business (every two years) and instead of understanding customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe benefit of the whole company should be priority, instead of individual careers and egos.

Good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked for Office Depot in the UK and can say honestly that overall they are a great company to work for. The benefits are good, with private health care, eye tests, enhanced holidays on longer service and more importantly great people.

ConsPersonal development seems to take place with senior management more than the regular staff. This needs to be addressed. Some not all of the managers like to micro manage which has quite a negative impact on you. Lots of pressure to please customers which I don't disagree with however should employ more staff

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport people in their development not just senior managers

Managed by people who do not care about the company

IT Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsWarehouse facilities however not fully used
    Merge with Office Max
    Great training department

ConsManagers who represent suppliers interests esp. one consulting company
    Money wasted on IT projects
    Over-employment
    No vision
    No culture, no values, hypocrisy
    Outsourced IT helpdesk below any standards

Advice to Senior ManagementRevise IT projects in Europe and how money is spent. Make sure that managers' past employment do not influence suppliers choice....

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company that lacks appreciation or respect for its employees

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThis job provided me flexible part time work while I was in college. The interview was fairly easy, and the general manager was friendly (but rarely seen).

ConsThere was no training. They literally walked me out to the sales floor and told me to start helping customers on my first day. It felt like I was being thrown to the wolves. Eventually I navigated my way around the business, and began to build confidence through my own self-training. After a month, my numbers were three times the next highest sales associate, and seven times the quota set for us. Despite this, I was still treated rudely by managers outside of my department- one time I was berated for taking a break that had been approved by my department manager and coworkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen employees are surveyed about what they value most in their employer, respect and appreciation beat benefits and wages. I was willing to (and I did) give this job my best effort even though I was only being paid around minimum wage; however, I quit because I was neither respected or appreciated.

The green shoots of recovery are starting to appear...

Accountant (Current Employee) Leicester, England

ProsInteresting work and challenging times. Office Depot UK are trying to drag themselves out of a poor last few years' performance which provides opportunities for employees with the enthusiasm to drive change. A number of Board-Level changes seems to have revitalised senior management and new business initiatives are showing promising early signs.

ConsStaff morale seems to be taking a backseat in the relentless, US-led, drive to reduce operating costs to an unsustainable level. Some departments seem poorly managed and appear to operate inefficiently. Sometimes it feels like good work goes unappreciated and others are rewarded simply for doing their job rather than overperforming.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the needs of your staff. Say "No" to the US once in a while.

DM

District Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsWhat a great global company

ConsGrowth continues to be a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat future outlook

Fast Pace Low Pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsManager brought in food for employees, most managers were friendly and supportive

ConsThere were no custodians. Employees had to clean the bathrooms and mop floors. This is not mentioned in the interview. In addition, the pay is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire custodians to clean the bathrooms and mop the floors.

Tough to be in office supplies

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Boca Raton, FL (US)

ProsThis is a standard large corporation. Decent benefits, not overtly crazy leadership. Just uninspired. Siloed departments, executive's protective over their territories, lots of middle management that is just getting a paycheck.

ConsIt's office supplies right? The aren't willing to go full in on being the small business person's helper and offer services or innovative adjacent businesses. They are willing to keep pushing paper and ink until they are obsolete in this digital age.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in fresh thinkers and get out of their way!

Fast paced, always busy and never a dull moment.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsI definitely learned a lot while working in the copy center area. I did get more familiar with the adobe and Microsoft business programs. I also learned how to multitask and time management.

ConsThey could use more employees in copy center. Extremely busy and stressful area of the store. Hard to get other employees to come help when you have a lot of customers. The other employees try to avoid that department. If you want to have a more relaxed pace then work elsewhere in the store. Hardest job in the store if you ask me.

Advice to Senior ManagementI realize management must be stressed out but be more understanding over the radio. Less snappy.

Overworked, stressed and underpaid

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsColleagues, some managers, good benefits and retirement plan

ConsLack of people, pay, not many opportunities for advancement unless someone leaves, lack of managers

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people fairly based on their role/responsibilities (not minimum wage for part time), reduce amount of stress, train people, show more appreciation to employees.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!