Office Depot Reviews

2.8
1,410 Reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Positive attitudes and customer service create an upbeat work environment (in 57 reviews)

• Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 64 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights

A company full of opportunities

Former Employee - Marketing & Merchandising  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing & Merchandising in London, England

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Salary and benefits are fine. Growth opportunities if you have the entrepreneur and know how to manage internal politics.

Cons

Due to the location, there is not really a diverse team (different nationalities & backgrounds) the company spends too much time reorganising the business (every two years) and instead of understanding customers.

The benefit of the whole company should be priority, instead of individual careers and egos.

Good company to work for

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I worked for Office Depot in the UK and can say honestly that overall they are a great company to work for. The benefits are good, with private health care, eye tests, enhanced holidays on longer service and more importantly great people.

Cons

Personal development seems to take place with senior management more than the regular staff. This needs to be addressed. Some not all of the managers like to micro manage which has quite a negative impact on you. Lots of pressure to please customers which I don't disagree with however should employ more staff

Support people in their development not just senior managers

Managed by people who do not care about the company

Current Employee - IT Consultant  in  London, England
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Warehouse facilities however not fully used
    Merge with Office Max
    Great training department

Cons

Managers who represent suppliers interests esp. one consulting company
    Money wasted on IT projects
    Over-employment
    No vision
    No culture, no values, hypocrisy
    Outsourced IT helpdesk below any standards

Revise IT projects in Europe and how money is spent. Make sure that managers' past employment do not influence suppliers choice....

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company that lacks appreciation or respect for its employees

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Office Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

This job provided me flexible part time work while I was in college. The interview was fairly easy, and the general manager was friendly (but rarely seen).

Cons

There was no training. They literally walked me out to the sales floor and told me to start helping customers on my first day. It felt like I was being thrown to the wolves. Eventually I navigated my way around the business, and began to build confidence through my own self-training. After a month, my numbers were three times the next highest sales associate, and seven times the quota set for us. Despite this, I was still treated rudely by managers outside of my department- one time I was berated for taking a break that had been approved by my department manager and coworkers.

When employees are surveyed about what they value most in their employer, respect and appreciation beat benefits and wages. I was willing to (and I did) give this job my best effort even though I was only being paid around minimum wage; however, I quit because I was neither respected or appreciated.

The green shoots of recovery are starting to appear...

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Leicester, England
    Current Employee - Accountant in Leicester, England

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Interesting work and challenging times. Office Depot UK are trying to drag themselves out of a poor last few years' performance which provides opportunities for employees with the enthusiasm to drive change. A number of Board-Level changes seems to have revitalised senior management and new business initiatives are showing promising early signs.

Cons

Staff morale seems to be taking a backseat in the relentless, US-led, drive to reduce operating costs to an unsustainable level. Some departments seem poorly managed and appear to operate inefficiently. Sometimes it feels like good work goes unappreciated and others are rewarded simply for doing their job rather than overperforming.

Pay more attention to the needs of your staff. Say "No" to the US once in a while.

as a manager you are the lifeline of the store

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great bonus potential, customer service focused, room to grow with the company, fast paced environment, company constantly changing to stay ahead in the office supply industry; good corporate support

Cons

micro-managed by DM, long hours, very limited payroll budget, training program needs work, LP department does not support the stores

work on training program; work on a true work/life balance, LP department needs to focus more on controlling shrink than for basic operational standards

Skills acquired but the pay is horrid

I have been working at Office Depot part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

learn great people skills from a variety of tasks and jobs assigned throughout the store

Cons

pay is horrible for all the work required, discourages employees from performing. 25 hr max and working 5 days out of the week is stupid for part timers. understaffed

do not micro manage employees it creates a rippled effect throughout the employees. be smarter on how you schedule each person according to the customer flow.

Good Personal Growth

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Oppertunity best in class reatiler good worklife balance in the retail enviroment. Company is customer focused and merger I feel is going well

Cons

newer district manager level management is misconnected and lost need to present leadership to the assocaites. Regional level is very absent in the field.

communication, leadership skills improve

Decent enough

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Office Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Employees in store are cool, managers try to work around school schedules

Cons

Upper management isn't the greatest, dumb policies

The stores operate without micro managing them, and not every store is the same. Different rules for different stores

Recent Culture Changes Are Not For The Best

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people and culture were bright spots of worklife at Office Depot and resources supporting employee success were a top priority pre-merger.

Cons

Limited career advancement opportunities and cultural changes due to the recent merger with OfficeMax have resulted in a decline in organizational resources and talent.

Too many layers of management cause delays and gaps in communication. Talent assessment needs to be a top priority. Personal accountability is lacking in many departments.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!