Office Depot Reviews

2.9
1,725 Reviews
Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Company is well focus to create customer service as their number goal (in 67 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule - Basically get to create you own schedule (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 71 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 66 reviews)

1. A good company to work for

Current Employee - Data Entry in Leicester, England
    Current Employee - Data Entry in Leicester, England

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

A good working environment, great benefits and competitive salary.

Cons

Prospects are limited within specialist departments

Advice to Management

Talent Management should be at the forefront

2. A company full of opportunities

Former Employee - Marketing & Merchandising in London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing & Merchandising in London, England

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are fine. Growth opportunities if you have the entrepreneur and know how to manage internal politics.

Cons

Due to the location, there is not really a diverse team (different nationalities & backgrounds) the company spends too much time reorganising the business (every two years) and instead of understanding customers.

Advice to Management

The benefit of the whole company should be priority, instead of individual careers and egos.

3. Good company to work for

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for Office Depot in the UK and can say honestly that overall they are a great company to work for. The benefits are good, with private health care, eye tests, enhanced holidays on longer service and more importantly great people.

Cons

Personal development seems to take place with senior management more than the regular staff. This needs to be addressed. Some not all of the managers like to micro manage which has quite a negative impact on you. Lots of pressure to please customers which I don't disagree with however should employ more staff

Advice to Management

Support people in their development not just senior managers

5. Managed by people who do not care about the company

Current Employee - IT Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Warehouse facilities however not fully used
    Merge with Office Max
    Great training department

Cons

Managers who represent suppliers interests esp. one consulting company
    Money wasted on IT projects
    Over-employment
    No vision
    No culture, no values, hypocrisy
    Outsourced IT helpdesk below any standards

Advice to Management

Revise IT projects in Europe and how money is spent. Make sure that managers' past employment do not influence suppliers choice....

6. A company that lacks appreciation or respect for its employees

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job provided me flexible part time work while I was in college. The interview was fairly easy, and the general manager was friendly (but rarely seen).

Cons

There was no training. They literally walked me out to the sales floor and told me to start helping customers on my first day. It felt like I was being thrown to the wolves. Eventually I navigated my way around the business, and began to build confidence through my own self-training. After a month, my numbers were three times the next highest sales associate, and seven times the quota set for us. Despite this, I was still treated rudely by managers outside of my department- one time I was berated for taking a break that had been approved by my department manager and coworkers.

Advice to Management

When employees are surveyed about what they value most in their employer, respect and appreciation beat benefits and wages. I was willing to (and I did) give this job my best effort even though I was only being paid around minimum wage; however, I quit because I was neither respected or appreciated.

7. The green shoots of recovery are starting to appear...

Current Employee - Accountant in Leicester, England
    Current Employee - Accountant in Leicester, England

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Interesting work and challenging times. Office Depot UK are trying to drag themselves out of a poor last few years' performance which provides opportunities for employees with the enthusiasm to drive change. A number of Board-Level changes seems to have revitalised senior management and new business initiatives are showing promising early signs.

Cons

Staff morale seems to be taking a backseat in the relentless, US-led, drive to reduce operating costs to an unsustainable level. Some departments seem poorly managed and appear to operate inefficiently. Sometimes it feels like good work goes unappreciated and others are rewarded simply for doing their job rather than overperforming.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the needs of your staff. Say "No" to the US once in a while.

8. Not a terrible part time job

Former Employee - Technology Sales/Supply Sales/Design, Print, and Ship Work
    Former Employee - Technology Sales/Supply Sales/Design, Print, and Ship Work

I worked at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours, easy-going staff, nice environment. Overall, a pretty easy job that can be mastered quickly.

Cons

Minimal pay, regular retail frustrations, corporate red tape. Some of the regional personnel are out of touch with in-store operations, and hold unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Management

Revise regional management strategies to better incorporate realistic expectations from each individual store.

Copy & Print Specialist

Current Employee - CPD Specialist in Pearland, TX (US)
    Current Employee - CPD Specialist in Pearland, TX (US)

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy interview, flexible work schedules, many locations to work (including Office Max Stores), employee discount, negotiable pay and commission on protection plans and services sold.

Cons

The Office Max merge & possible buy out by Staples is confusing for customers and employees. Registers and store equipment are old and should be replaced but corporate will not approve, some of management is either too intimidating, too nice or too lazy.

Advice to Management

Management is too caught up in customer service. I'm told that I can and cannot do or say certain things with customers but anytime an issue arises like a bin label error I am forced to override 20-40 dollars and sometimes more off transactions just too "take care of the customer". They enforce mobile transactions on copy and print employees when we don't have time, and are very strict on handing out computer health check info business cards.

10. Rewarding

Former Employee - Instructional Design Contractor in Pompano Beach, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Instructional Design Contractor in Pompano Beach, FL (US)

I worked at Office Depot (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mutual respect among different teams and within the same team.

Cons

I cannot think of anything negative to say about my experience at Office Depot.

Advice to Management

Don't sell.

11. 23 year legacy employee

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Florissant, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Florissant, MO (US)

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Until the recent merger with OfficeMax, always felt Office Depot respected their employees.

Cons

Since the merger with OfficeMax, there is not as much work/life balance and they took away holiday pay for full time store employees.