Office Depot

2.9 1,176 reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith

Roland C. Smith

1,176 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "This was my first job, and i worked in retail as a customer service specialist"
    in 49 reviews
  • "Flexible Schedule - Basically get to create you own schedule"
    in 45 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management in B2B isn't kept up to date on all developments"
    in 61 reviews
  • "Staffing sucks to for wanting to have such an interactive customer service program"
    in 55 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A company full of opportunities

Marketing & Merchandising (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSalary and benefits are fine. Growth opportunities if you have the entrepreneur and know how to manage internal politics.

ConsDue to the location, there is not really a diverse team (different nationalities & backgrounds) the company spends too much time reorganising the business (every two years) and instead of understanding customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe benefit of the whole company should be priority, instead of individual careers and egos.

Good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI worked for Office Depot in the UK and can say honestly that overall they are a great company to work for. The benefits are good, with private health care, eye tests, enhanced holidays on longer service and more importantly great people.

ConsPersonal development seems to take place with senior management more than the regular staff. This needs to be addressed. Some not all of the managers like to micro manage which has quite a negative impact on you. Lots of pressure to please customers which I don't disagree with however should employ more staff

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport people in their development not just senior managers

Managed by people who do not care about the company

IT Consultant (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for less than a year

ProsWarehouse facilities however not fully used
Merge with Office Max
Great training department

ConsManagers who represent suppliers interests esp. one consulting company
Money wasted on IT projects
Over-employment
No vision
No culture, no values, hypocrisy
Outsourced IT helpdesk below any standards

Advice to Senior ManagementRevise IT projects in Europe and how money is spent. Make sure that managers' past employment do not influence suppliers choice....

A company that lacks appreciation or respect for its employees

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Office Depot part-time for less than a year

ProsThis job provided me flexible part time work while I was in college. The interview was fairly easy, and the general manager was friendly (but rarely seen).

ConsThere was no training. They literally walked me out to the sales floor and told me to start helping customers on my first day. It felt like I was being thrown to the wolves. Eventually I navigated my way around the business, and began to build confidence through my own self-training. After a month, my numbers were three times the next highest sales associate, and seven times the quota set for us. Despite this, I was still treated rudely by managers outside of my department- one time I was berated for taking a break that had been approved by my department manager and coworkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen employees are surveyed about what they value most in their employer, respect and appreciation beat benefits and wages. I was willing to (and I did) give this job my best effort even though I was only being paid around minimum wage; however, I quit because I was neither respected or appreciated.

The green shoots of recovery are starting to appear...

Accountant (Current Employee)
Leicester, England

I have been working at Office Depot

ProsInteresting work and challenging times. Office Depot UK are trying to drag themselves out of a poor last few years' performance which provides opportunities for employees with the enthusiasm to drive change. A number of Board-Level changes seems to have revitalised senior management and new business initiatives are showing promising early signs.

ConsStaff morale seems to be taking a backseat in the relentless, US-led, drive to reduce operating costs to an unsustainable level. Some departments seem poorly managed and appear to operate inefficiently. Sometimes it feels like good work goes unappreciated and others are rewarded simply for doing their job rather than overperforming.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the needs of your staff. Say "No" to the US once in a while.

A company going through a lot of changes.

Customer Solutions Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits, as a whole my time has been mostly positive. Flexible schedule. Decent pay.

ConsChanging environment brought on by our merger with Office Max. Hourly constraints for part time associates. A great deal of emphasis put on things that don't help us help our customers. Putting too much into "lists" instead of just "doing it".

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time valuing hard workers instead of butt kissers. Some associates are not good with asking for accolades (verbatim reviews) this does not mean that they are not great with customers or good at their jobs. Realize that within the four walls there is a lot more going on than what you are hearing on the radio while sitting in our parking lot. We have real people with real needs to assist, being a cheerleader on the radio is not our main objective, our customers are.

very fun

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than a year

Prosit's a great place to work and you have fun everyday. they have great managers and a great support team.

Consnothing i can thinks of

Fun while it lasted....

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Milwaukee, WI (US)

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than a year

ProsOffice Depot Inc. as a whole is a good company. Customer support and management are good. Internal support very helpful. Flexible work schedule and good pay- if you make your sales goals. Great customers!

ConsI worked for OfficeMax Workplace as an Account Executive for 1 year. My position was elimnated ..Company merger with Office Depot and the restructuring eliminated 200 sales positions and 100 DSM positions- not including other upper management and other positions. Very dissapointed the way were laid off- conference call and given 1 day notice! Very sad the way they treat their loyal hardworking employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees. Treat them with respect. If they are performing well and doing a great job- let them keep their jobs!

Pick the Hill

Management (Former Employee)
Springfield, MO (US)

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Prospart time flexibility and above average compensation when goals are met

ConsCut backs and loss of benefits. Affordable Health Act has destroyed loyalty and commitment from field level to Corporate level and back with cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the ancient labor forecast and make it realistic with current business model expectations. Too much money still spent on "checkers" paid to check on the "checkers" who are checking. If you can actually make what you expect realistically happen get in the field and test it. If not invest in what it will take to meet those expectations. Telling someone they can fly and giving them a plane but restricting to taxi speed will not get it off the ground!

Good place to get started in Account Management

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than a year

ProsNice offices, and spacious breakrooms. If you are new to Account Management this is a place where you can get extensive training on how to manage your account set.

ConsAccount sets are very large and it can be challenging to keep up with your numbers to reach your sales goals. I would advise that you keep a close eye on your personal accounts that you are held responsible for to make sure that OD is not moving them around at the end of the quarter to make bonuses for the leadership teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork closer with your teams and ensure that they have the tools to succeed and not just a metric.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Office Depot reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Office Depot CEO Roland C. Smith. All 1,176 reviews are posted anonymously by Office Depot employees.