Office Depot

2.8
1,398 Reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Positive attitudes and customer service create an upbeat work environment (in 57 reviews)

• Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 64 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights

A company full of opportunities

Former Employee - Marketing & Merchandising  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing & Merchandising in London, England

Pros

Salary and benefits are fine. Growth opportunities if you have the entrepreneur and know how to manage internal politics.

Cons

Due to the location, there is not really a diverse team (different nationalities & backgrounds) the company spends too much time reorganising the business (every two years) and instead of understanding customers.

The benefit of the whole company should be priority, instead of individual careers and egos.

Good company to work for

Pros

I worked for Office Depot in the UK and can say honestly that overall they are a great company to work for. The benefits are good, with private health care, eye tests, enhanced holidays on longer service and more importantly great people.

Cons

Personal development seems to take place with senior management more than the regular staff. This needs to be addressed. Some not all of the managers like to micro manage which has quite a negative impact on you. Lots of pressure to please customers which I don't disagree with however should employ more staff

Support people in their development not just senior managers

Managed by people who do not care about the company

Current Employee - IT Consultant  in  London, England
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in London, England

Pros

Warehouse facilities however not fully used
    Merge with Office Max
    Great training department

Cons

Managers who represent suppliers interests esp. one consulting company
    Money wasted on IT projects
    Over-employment
    No vision
    No culture, no values, hypocrisy
    Outsourced IT helpdesk below any standards

Revise IT projects in Europe and how money is spent. Make sure that managers' past employment do not influence suppliers choice....

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company that lacks appreciation or respect for its employees

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

This job provided me flexible part time work while I was in college. The interview was fairly easy, and the general manager was friendly (but rarely seen).

Cons

There was no training. They literally walked me out to the sales floor and told me to start helping customers on my first day. It felt like I was being thrown to the wolves. Eventually I navigated my way around the business, and began to build confidence through my own self-training. After a month, my numbers were three times the next highest sales associate, and seven times the quota set for us. Despite this, I was still treated rudely by managers outside of my department- one time I was berated for taking a break that had been approved by my department manager and coworkers.

When employees are surveyed about what they value most in their employer, respect and appreciation beat benefits and wages. I was willing to (and I did) give this job my best effort even though I was only being paid around minimum wage; however, I quit because I was neither respected or appreciated.

The green shoots of recovery are starting to appear...

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Leicester, England
    Current Employee - Accountant in Leicester, England

Pros

Interesting work and challenging times. Office Depot UK are trying to drag themselves out of a poor last few years' performance which provides opportunities for employees with the enthusiasm to drive change. A number of Board-Level changes seems to have revitalised senior management and new business initiatives are showing promising early signs.

Cons

Staff morale seems to be taking a backseat in the relentless, US-led, drive to reduce operating costs to an unsustainable level. Some departments seem poorly managed and appear to operate inefficiently. Sometimes it feels like good work goes unappreciated and others are rewarded simply for doing their job rather than overperforming.

Pay more attention to the needs of your staff. Say "No" to the US once in a while.

Learned a lot in a little amount of time.

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Saint Louis, MO (US)

Pros

Hours are never too crazy and they will help you grow if you're willing to put in the work and make it known that you want advancement. The new standards for customer service really help to enhance a person's ability to understand the needs of others and to think outside the box.

Cons

Need to work on training and how information is passed down. Corporate sometimes makes it difficult to try new things because of the strict rules.

Follow up on promises. Work towards developing training that will be easy to follow through and that is up to date.

First few years were great but as time went by I started to feel unchallenged with unclear direction from management

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Boca Raton, FL (US)

Pros

Great people and sense of community. Great company culture and cool activities. Manager was fair and allowed for a good work-life balance for his direct reports. Salaried positions come with 2 weeks of vacation pay (below director level) and once you've been with the company for 5 years you get an additional week of vacation. Concerning 401K, the company will match 50 cent on the dollar up to 4%.

Cons

Unclear direction from management and above. Company is struggling to recover since the recession and trying to reinvent itself to survive the new economic environment specially as it relates to tough competitors such as Amazon and Walmart etc...Too many internal reorganizations and no true focused long term plan.

Not bad, but department discrepancies

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Mishawaka, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Mishawaka, IN (US)

Pros

Opportunity for commission and bonuses, ability to be in a specialized area, customer experience model is efficient

Cons

Copy & Print very stressful at times, not a lot of cross-training, inconsistent training, quick turn-over

This store specifically needs to be redone so that checkouts are not part of the copy and print department. It is very stressful working up front as a CPD associate and errors are made because it is impossible to keep the needed attention on the project at hand when one has to ring up customers every few minutes. Associates should be trained in more areas so one does not feel trapped in one specific area and for general flexibility.

Good Personal Growth

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Great Oppertunity best in class reatiler good worklife balance in the retail enviroment. Company is customer focused and merger I feel is going well

Cons

newer district manager level management is misconnected and lost need to present leadership to the assocaites. Regional level is very absent in the field.

communication, leadership skills improve

Field support

Current Employee - Field Support  in  Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Field Support in Boca Raton, FL (US)

Pros

The people are friendly and genuinely care about one another. The leadership in the company take time to reach out to the stores and thank them for all they do. Great company!

Cons

No cons, it's retail! If you enjoy meeting new people and providing solutions to customers, this is a great place to work at.

Keep it up.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!