Office Depot

2.8
1,417 Reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Positive attitudes and customer service create an upbeat work environment (in 63 reviews)

• Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 67 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

A company full of opportunities

Former Employee - Marketing & Merchandising  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing & Merchandising in London, England

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Salary and benefits are fine. Growth opportunities if you have the entrepreneur and know how to manage internal politics.

Cons

Due to the location, there is not really a diverse team (different nationalities & backgrounds) the company spends too much time reorganising the business (every two years) and instead of understanding customers.

The benefit of the whole company should be priority, instead of individual careers and egos.

Good company to work for

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I worked for Office Depot in the UK and can say honestly that overall they are a great company to work for. The benefits are good, with private health care, eye tests, enhanced holidays on longer service and more importantly great people.

Cons

Personal development seems to take place with senior management more than the regular staff. This needs to be addressed. Some not all of the managers like to micro manage which has quite a negative impact on you. Lots of pressure to please customers which I don't disagree with however should employ more staff

Support people in their development not just senior managers

Managed by people who do not care about the company

Current Employee - IT Consultant  in  London, England
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Warehouse facilities however not fully used
    Merge with Office Max
    Great training department

Cons

Managers who represent suppliers interests esp. one consulting company
    Money wasted on IT projects
    Over-employment
    No vision
    No culture, no values, hypocrisy
    Outsourced IT helpdesk below any standards

Revise IT projects in Europe and how money is spent. Make sure that managers' past employment do not influence suppliers choice....

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company that lacks appreciation or respect for its employees

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Office Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

This job provided me flexible part time work while I was in college. The interview was fairly easy, and the general manager was friendly (but rarely seen).

Cons

There was no training. They literally walked me out to the sales floor and told me to start helping customers on my first day. It felt like I was being thrown to the wolves. Eventually I navigated my way around the business, and began to build confidence through my own self-training. After a month, my numbers were three times the next highest sales associate, and seven times the quota set for us. Despite this, I was still treated rudely by managers outside of my department- one time I was berated for taking a break that had been approved by my department manager and coworkers.

When employees are surveyed about what they value most in their employer, respect and appreciation beat benefits and wages. I was willing to (and I did) give this job my best effort even though I was only being paid around minimum wage; however, I quit because I was neither respected or appreciated.

The green shoots of recovery are starting to appear...

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Leicester, England
    Current Employee - Accountant in Leicester, England

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Interesting work and challenging times. Office Depot UK are trying to drag themselves out of a poor last few years' performance which provides opportunities for employees with the enthusiasm to drive change. A number of Board-Level changes seems to have revitalised senior management and new business initiatives are showing promising early signs.

Cons

Staff morale seems to be taking a backseat in the relentless, US-led, drive to reduce operating costs to an unsustainable level. Some departments seem poorly managed and appear to operate inefficiently. Sometimes it feels like good work goes unappreciated and others are rewarded simply for doing their job rather than overperforming.

Pay more attention to the needs of your staff. Say "No" to the US once in a while.

My store manager was very motivated to make sales and constantly encouraged us to upsale and try to become better salesmen

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Office Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very laidback and relaxed environment, good temporary job or student job

Cons

You're just another employee to the office depot franchise.

Decent workplace because of the people, not the company.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I

I worked at Office Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

My coworkers and managers were great. By talking to my managers, I negotiated schedules that allowed me to complete my work as a full-time college student while working at Office Depot part-time.

Cons

The company outlook was always bleak and there was frequent concern regarding the future of our store.

The company is a good one, and they have a good client base.

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist I  in  Marietta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Marietta, GA (US)

I have been working at Office Depot part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Since I am not employed in the healthcare field currently, I find the work at Office Depot rewarding, as I have worked in Healthcare management for many years, and I bought most of my administrative products from them. However, it's very hard to support my wife and I by earning minimum wage, working less then 40 hours per week.

Cons

Lots of evening shifts, and minimum wages barely provides the income to support us. If there had been a management position available when I joined the company, it would have been a better situation. It is a part time position until I get back into a Healthcare Management position, as I have managed physician groups as large as 36 physicians, in six different states.

The Management at our store, 2209 is OK, but the overall manager is not the best. The assistant managers are very good, and are nice to work with.

It was ok....

I have been working at Office Depot for less than a year

Pros

Flexible, fun to work at...

Cons

No room for advancement,compensation, time off policies.

Care more for your hard working employees

Technology Sales and Services

Current Employee - Tech Associate  in  Independence, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Tech Associate in Independence, MO (US)

I have been working at Office Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good experience to start with if you have little to no IT experience. (Not my case)
    Friendly people, all very customer oriented. Hours are great if you are a college student looking for ONLY part time.

Cons

After the Max and Depot Merger, commission for Techs on services has been cut in half, the new CEO and some DMs are pretty big jerks. Training is little to none if you work in tech, you're going to have to learn how to diagnose and repair machines almost all on your own.

The stores are for the most part nice, my store in independence has been great to me, however upper management and corporate need to consider and care for their employees.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!