OfficeMax

www.officemax.com

OfficeMax Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Roland Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance changed with the season(in 25 reviews)

• Most of the associates that you work with are fun to work around(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Naperville HQ closing as position relocate to new Office Depot Office Max HR in Boca Raton(in 38 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow(in 36 reviews)

Good Place To Work

Electronics Department Manager (Current Employee) Buford, GA (US)

ProsManagement is flexible in scheduling and considers employee based needs in regards to hourly adjustment as necessity demands.

ConsI have no complaints with store operations or management

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement or increase employee discount program.

I've really enjoyed working for OfficeMax

Impress Supervisor (Key) (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsFriendly co workers and good managem t.

ConsLow pay. Recent manager re-sturctuerment means loss of jobs and even lower pay!

My experience was very positive.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople were great to work with. The culture is collaborative. There was a focus on integrity, ethics and doing the right thing.

ConsOfficeMax was the third largest player in an industry facing a number of secular challenges. The challenges include people using less office supplies, furniture and equipment, combined with increasing internet competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a strategy to overcome the secular issues facing the business.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good college job but a bad post college job

Impress Associate (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros>It’s a good job for when you’re in college, your can set your own hours that you are available.

>It’s a good place to start when you’re a graphic designer; you get to learn the print side of things.

>You get to learn how to use and do maintenance on printers, small and large format laminators, hole punchers, and binders.

>You learn how to make booklets, calendars, large format banners, and other things.

>You learn about different types of paper.

>It is one of the few retail jobs where you can sit down.

Cons>The pay is horrible and the raises are not good. Which is not good when you have a student loan and rent to pay.

>If they don’t have enough people hired your screwed especially if your evening shift. A few too many times I’ve ended up having to do register and Impress. Then straighten and clean the whole by myself.

>There is usually only one impress associate on duty which is not good when rush comes. Or you have a very large project to do (which you will always have every other week) and customers keep coming in for the rest of your shift.
    There is only one computer, so if store associates or tech associates need something printed you have to stop what you’re doing.

>None of the store associates understand that just because something is not due today or tomorrow impress still immediately has to get it done so we don’t get backed up. Far too many times I’ve had the sales specialist managing that day make me do store related chores because the project I was doing was long term. Even after my supervisor had explained to them that I needed to get a certain amount of that project done that day.

>Due to the merging of max and depot now whenever someone comes in one of use has to describe them and say where they are going each time they go into a different sector of the store. We also follow them to ask what they need. This of course is very stalkerish and has already gotten one of our associates in trouble with a customer. This is also extremely aggravating when we have a rush or worse a busy day because you will hear nonstop chatter in your ear.

Advice to Senior Management>Please stop trying to cut peoples pay, you are making hard work employees have no other option but to quit.

>Please start putting two Impress associates on duty; this is a two man job.

>More computers so tech, store, and impress all have their own.

Horrible Pay for A lot of Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey had flexible scheduling and worked around my college schedule.

ConsI had to do a lot of work, basically be a graphic designer for customers, for little pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more and you will retain more employees.

Good, not great

Manager, Home Office (Former Employee) Shaker Heights, OH (US)

Prosprofessional working environment, nice professional cooworkers, HR department does a good job taking care of their employees

Conshigher turnover than I would expect for a professional workplace with good paying jobs. Also higher stress level since officemax seemed to always be playing catchup to staples, walmart office supplies, etc

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I was there it seemed there was a lack of a clear strategy

Love the Company

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsI like how the company cares about its associates, as well as the customers. You are recognized for your accomplishments.

ConsThe company is too driven on selling protection plans on electronics. Some customers just don't want them. The merger is devaluing employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorry less about making numbers for the day and focus on the customer experience.

Better pay than other companies with same position

Distribution Specialist (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsThey actually offer competitive pay similar positions of other companies are considerably less maybe by 35%, some company bbqs, work shoe allowance of $100 each year, mostly friendly work environment.

ConsConstant broken promises, doesnt directly answer questions, frequent schedule change, madatory overtime for everyone including part timers, always tries to blame worker if something didnt go as they wanted.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the good pay. Offer more chances to move up in the company if motivated. Train employees better when first hired and then also have refreshers training too. Dont hire part time if youre going to later force them to work a 40 hour week that is deceiving to the applicant. Stop threatening to fire so often because frequent schedule changes with little to no notice is given is hard to live with because people have other commitments such as 2nd job or kids school pick up.

Routine

Cashier (Former Employee) Greenwood, SC (US)

ProsSame job no real surprises

Consthere are never enough people on staff

Great working environment with potential for to expand knowledge

Pricing Analyst I (Former Employee) Naperville, IL (US)

ProsThe managers always had an open door policy, and were happy to talk with you about anything. All of my co-workers were always willing and eager to help me learn, whether it was about how to best approach a new project or steps you can take to make your current project easier and faster. Basically, the people were very friendly and always willing to help. Once I even had a co-worker realize my plate was getting too full so she offered to manage one of my projects until I finished up the harder ones. No, the manager was not involved at all. Although I told the manager when I recommended the employee for the monthly MVP contest.

The department is huge and highly encouraged celebrating birthdays, so almost on a weekly basis, there would be treats for all the employees to enjoy and decorated cubicles. :)

ConsI really can't complain about this job. I regret leaving and I honestly wish I stayed with the company. I resigned to pursue my life dream of attending Law School. I'm now done with law school, drowning in debt and no job to show for it. This was a great place to work, opportunity to move up if you wanted as long as you proved you can handle the responsibilities. Great Pay, Management always gave you a benefit of the doubt and were understanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to the Pricing Department managers: Continue to rock the Pricing department.

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!