Ofgem

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ofgem Chief Executive Dermot Nolan

Dermot Nolan

Great people plus challenging and interesting work

Senior Economist (Current Employee) London, England

ProsStimulating GB and EU driven project based work with exposure to a diverse range of stakeholders. Operating in an increasingly high profile political environment adds an interesting dimension. Colleagues are friendly, sociable, knowledgable and motivated.

ConsOfgem seems to be in perpetual state of reorganisation and reprioritisation. Management structure has too many layers and this hierarchy leads to bottlenecks. IT resources are poor and show no noticeable signs of improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreater focus on staff retention, organisational priorities and better dissemination of information to staff.

It was full on with loads of meetings

Project Support Officer (Former Employee) London, England

ProsLovely working environment to work in

ConsTakes time to understand acronym used in the organisation .

good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat people, flexible working hours

Consslow, bureaucratic, takes time for things to progress

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive experience and good employer overall. Good stepping stone for getting into the energy industry

Senior Economist (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGet good responsibility and opens many doors. Very young staff also. Good experience to engage both with private and public sectors - and if you are in the public sector looking to move to the private, this is potentially a good stepping stone option.

ConsHigh turnover of staff but partly because of opportunities and age of staff. There are also some quite dry roles - but even in these there will be some good opportunities if you demonstrate potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage staff rotation and better co-ordination between markets and the regulated parts

Very positive

ProsI was lucky to have an excellent manager that promoted development and progress within the organisation.
    Good work life balance

ConsHigh staff turnover
    knowledge drain due to turnover
    difficult to get training supported and signed off

Advice to Senior ManagementBigger training budget required
    More focus on cross company project work

Good place to start a career

Economist (Current Employee) London, England

Prosnice work environment, good atmosphere, interesting and relevant issues to work on, you learn a lot about the energy market, great work-life balance

ConsPay ok but could be better, very bureaucratic

Advice to Senior Managementdecentralise decision making

Great Place Great people wish the money was better

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) London, England

Prosonce you are in you are in ...

Consthe money isnt that good

A decent place to get experience in the energy sector

Regulatory & Energy Economist (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGreat training, decent compensation package for Public Sector, great post-Ofgem career prospects, flexi-time, holidays and amazing pension

ConsPeople were really boring! The work can be quite boring too and there is way too much buceaucracy. People get boxed into doing boring tasks and there is little or no feedback loop on how well a task was performed

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people more autonomy to work as they see fit..

UK regulator for gas and electricity

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat life-work balance, with the flexitime scheme being an important feature. Good place to start a career in Renewables or price regulation.

ConsHeavy beaurocracy; uncertainty about where the organisation is going in light of government change, and subsequent review of the organisation, which is a 'quango' in effect.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be stringent about your 'open door' policy, and make it a reality not a story you tell to candidates! Review your incentives in light of pay + recruitment freeze.

Worked for Ofgem? Contribute to the Community!