OpenDNS

OpenDNS Reviews

Updated Feb 08, 2014

OpenDNS Founder & CEO David Ulevitch

David Ulevitch

Truly love where you work!

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome culture & perks. You work with such smart, devoted people that it makes work worthy and fun to do. You're constantly learning and there's not only a lot of potential for the company's future, but also for your personal goals. The company makes it a point to focus on making sure hard work doesn't go unnoticed. Leadership is fantastic and I can only see their vision taking us on to bigger and better things. World-class talent working toward becoming a world-class security company.

ConsNot much to complain about. We have an open door policy so if any issue does arise, it isn't hard to approach management. Typical growing pains of a start-up, but those aren't cons at all!

Come for the technology and experience, stay for the growth and people

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have one of the most amazing teams ever! The people that I work with day in and day out are smart, driven and working as hard or harder then me. They push me to keep doing better.

ConsThe company tries hard to recognize as great performance, but when everyone is an all-start, you have to try that much harder to be seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be transparent about what is happening. Make sure that choices are communicated clearly and timely to all teams.

Growing company with tons of potential in the online security space

MSP Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time for less than a year

ProsOpenDNS has a great environment to work in. Employees are friendly and management is great. The CEO and VP of Sales are awesome and the company is on a great path with their leadership. Information is always flowing around here and everyone is always very helpful. Since the company is still relatively small, it's easy to make change that are necessary quickly.

ConsTypical pains for a company growing rapidly, but working quickly to overcome them as quickly as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Fast moving, brilliant startup filled with smart, dedicated people.

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time for more than a year

ProsAwesome office perks. Amazing people to work with, many of whom are so smart it's intimidating. And you get a wide range of projects and work to take on, with the ability to choose your focus if you ask for it.

ConsNot many. Work/life balance can be demanding at times. But hard work is always recognized. HR is a small, over

Fast-paced, mature startup growing fast and having fun

Product Manager (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people who work at OpenDNS are great. The work environment is positive and healthy - working remotely is encouraged when applicable to maintain a good work-life balance. Lots of opportunities for smart, motivated people. A fantastic place to work in general.

ConsVery few; sometimes take too long to get rid of bad people. Could communicate strategy better across the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company grows keep standards high in terms of the people being hired. Push them and reward them.

A geeky startup with a sense of humor, scale, and a great momentum

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time for less than a year

ProsGeeky technologies and peoples - low-level network programming, big data, mobile, webdev.

Operating at the scale that most startups don't see in their dreams, tens of billions queries per day

The management is more transparent and honest to the employees than most companies I know

The mobile security industry doesn't even really exist yet, but is already ripe for disruption

The orange color - swag I can wear!!!

ConsNot much, really... people already mentioned "more organization" but then again there is a lot of awesomeness in not having the kind of rigid structure that the bigger companies are known for, especially when the employees are competent.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep at it!

Our work matters.

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time for more than a year

ProsOpenDNS is a stable, profitable company that provides a valuable and necessary service to the internet community. Working here makes you feel like what you're doing has a positive impact on the world because you're dealing with a fundamental aspect of what makes the internet work, and you're also working for a business that has very strong ethics such that they won't use their product to enable state censorship or repression. The people who work here are all great to work with, and the company happy hours and free lunches are a nice touch. This is far and away the best work environment I've been a part of.

ConsNo workplace is perfect, and while this one is no exception the cons are few and minor. You're given the space here to solve problems that arise and management makes it clear that their doors are always open, something I have personally found to be the case. In short, if you have a problem here then you're probably not being very assertive in addressing it.

Amazing place to work, learn, and grow!

Senior Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time for more than a year

ProsFast-growing company backed by the best VCs filled with smart people in all parts of the company. Your great ideas will blossom and your best efforts will be recognized. Transparency from top to bottom. Your contribution will have a direct impact on the core products.

A visionary and intelligent CEO, David, built a great circle of leaders to surround him and company's direction and growth mirrors that.

Free lunch M/W/F.

ConsExtreme fast-growth resulted in recruitments lagging behind in many areas of departments. More managers, more smart engineers and developers are highly in need.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing it right! Keep up the good work.

Please hire more smart(er) people and don't settle for "good-enough"...

Fantastic place to work!

Senior Systems Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time for more than a year

ProsOne of the greatest things about working at OpenDNS is the people. Everyone wants the company to succeed and everyone puts in the time time and effort to reach that goal. We're always raising our own bar. All that said, it's not a stressful environment. I've never found myself feeling like someone wasn't pulling their weight or doing their part.

The only constant at OpenDNS is growth. The company is always innovating. We're never happy with what we have; it can always be better.

ConsDepending on where you work in the company some on-call work might be required. No one enjoys it, but it is a shared responsibility that we take seriously. While the is only one person on-call, everyone is available to help them if needed. Look at that, a con turned pro.

pretty good!

Software Intern (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at OpenDNS as an intern for less than a year

Prosgreat internship to try a diverse # projects

Consnot much. organization could be a tad better

Worked for OpenDNS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OpenDNS reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for OpenDNS CEO David Ulevitch. All 16 reviews are posted anonymously by OpenDNS employees.