Openet

Be The First To
Add Photos

Openet CEO Niall Norton

Niall Norton

Mostly good, with a mix of non-ideal situations

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

ProsA lot of learning to be gained
    Management does genuinely tries to make this a better workplace
    Some managers do care about the welfare of the staff

ConsSome politics across different organizations in the company, not as rampant as some similarly sized companies but if this is not controlled or discouraged, this may grow.
    Attempts on improvements are not done right yet

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the folks that work with you better and show it
    You need to spend money to make money, there are a lot of talented people in the company, engineers or not that needs to be appreciated better.

Software issues are killing the company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpenet was innovative and a thought leader. Lost track when trying to go IPOD

ConsNepotism.... Unwilling to listen to the customer. Arrogant VP level

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-invent....flush out VP and above layer. Everyone else has been acquired except Openet. Best times are PAST TENSE

Not a nice working environment anymore

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Pros1) Good benefits
    2) 21 days annual leave (incremental every 2 years up to 26 days)
    3) Provides training

Cons1) Unreasonable project timelines. Management expects employees to work extra hours and weekends to complete project.
    2) Office politics aplenty
    3) No contractual bonus (only got company and performance bonus once in 5 years)
    4) Too many managers to report to, and insufficient developers and QA in a project.
    5) No travel allowance, only by claim
    6) Openet is losing a lot of experienced employees
    7) Very few experienced and good employees. It is difficult to seek help from them as they are very busy (because everyone is asking help from them).

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management needs to train up more employees to become SME for every region to reduce the dependent on those few good employees.
    Management needs to make the employees feel appreciated.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Getting worse and worse each year

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Pros1) 21 days annual leave
    2) Able to learn some advance C++ codes (only certain teams)

Cons1) Politics are increasingly entwined.
    2) Some managers in Product Department are incompetent, indecisive, and always push responsibilities to someone else.
    3) Interview process is critically flawed, resulting in hiring many incapable engineers, who are only good at presenting themselves.
    4) Inefficient management, poor project planning, and glitchy software design causes delay after delay.
    5) Try to force employees to work during weekends when deadline could not be met.
    6) Practice Agile wrongly.
    7) Fail to identify the contribution of engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's a lost cause.

Good place to work, most of the time.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros- Nice people
    - Flexi hours
    - variaty of projects
    - decent benefits

Cons- constant fires!
    - support work at last minute
    - losing senior staff
    - no sense of direction
    - uses in house programming language

Advice to Senior Management- Need to keep senior staff and pay out to keep them.
    - Need more realistic targets and company direction.

Great Benefits but poor management

ProsGood medical benefits
    Flexi work time

ConsPoor management
    Politic in office
    Some manager doesn't notice those who contributes and those who doesn't

Seems to be moving in the wrong direction

Various (Former Employee)

ProsI learned a lot working at Openet and worked with some very sharp people. The benefits were pretty good, and at first the atmosphere was great.

Work-life balance was hit-or-miss. There were times when it was pretty good, but also a lot of get-it-done-yesterday fire drills. Not unusual for a small technology company with huge telecom clients, I think.

Overall my experience was positive, but I wouldn't go back there now.

ConsOpenet seems to be losing its touch. It grew very rapidly for a few years, but over the last year or so seems to be shrinking just as rapidly. Openet has some very compelling products, but doesn't seem to be able to focus on really polishing them and moving them forward.

The company seemed quite management-heavy toward the end of my time there.

Not what it once was

ProsGreat people, good customer base, interesting work, good teamwork, very strong technically

ConsLeadership team is dysfunctional, the strategy is ever changing and gets more bizarre by the day, a team change is long overdue

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to move on for most of you

Good heart, dreams of being something else

ProsVery strong technology, very engaged and smart employees. Interesting area to work.

ConsGrew by riding a wave of investment in flagship product. The wave is receding, and the company is unsure what to do with itself. Constant half-baked dabbling in various strategic directions, which are followed with urgency until the next idea comes along. Very political with lots of behind-the-scenes maneuvering, a situation encouraged by top leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline and simplify the company direction. Discourage politics.

Decent enough company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsOpportunity to develop career and learn. Don't have to work long hours that often. You can move between different projects, learning different technologies. Hard work is recognised if you have the right manager.

ConsLeadership seems unclear what direction the company should go in. Management seems to lurch from one crises to the next, dragging developers on to projects to meet impending deadlines. Managers don't plan medium to long term. Features are added without much thought of how they affect the overall product. Good technical staff are leaving and not being replaced or being replaced with entry level engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan better for the long term.

Worked for Openet? Contribute to the Community!