Openet

Niall Norton

I loved working here

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Openet as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was hired on a contract basis; the job was full-on and I did a lot of extra hours. This paid off hugely; I got promoted very quickly and received the opportunity to work various different projects in different locations after I requested some travel. I learnt new skills and have great experience on my CV now. I can command a significantly higher salary now as a result of my time with this company.

The place is filled with intelligent, decent, interesting people.

You are treated as a person at all times.

The CEO is always interested in initiative or ideas.

The product suite is considered robust and cutting-edge (i'm not a techie so I don't know if its a fair perception).

Cons

The Dublin location isn't fantastic. If the offices were in the city centre it would be great.

The org structure is a bit chaotic.

Keep up the great work.

Excellent at all!

Former Employee - Project Consultant in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Project Consultant in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Openet (more than a year)

Pros

Culture;
    Opportunities;
    Career Development;
    Leadership well prepared and serving like a guide;
    Management Team extremely skilled;
    All together sense;

Cons

Salary;
    Travel Policies;
    Expense Policies;
    Missing soft skills training;

Keep the values always alive. Core strengths are unbelievable sincere and cultivated from CEO to any lower level, reaching the Customer like a charm. This is great. Advice? Well, invest on Contractors as well, they are also responsible to build company name. Maybe, review some travel policies and take care about soft skills, because they are also important to keep the service always in the high level.

Rudderless ship

I worked at Openet

Pros

Was able to work from home easily. Most people were friendly and good to work with.

Cons

Management does not have a strong consistent plan. More like 2 or 3 plans a year. Management is not held accountable, as when they fail in their job, they just move to another role. Product development has not been given enough direction and nothing new has taken the place of older products. Also, pay is poor and bonuses never happen.

Hold yourselves accountable.

Company has Issues

I worked at Openet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are not many pros for this company.

Cons

The Salary and Benefits for this company are very low and never see a raise in the time you have put in with the company, filling out review when review time comes around there are hard to fill out with out help from MGMT . There is no HR departments in the US all is handled over seas in India and internal web site and trying to find your way around that is a talk in it's self.

Pay your American workers more than your own people. This is not India. Learn to talk to Americans properly with out talking down to them. Better benefits package.

Interesting place, lots happening

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Openet full-time

Pros

Great technical people, lots of opportunities

Cons

Not all management in tune

People make a company

Good company with good products, but is often let down by poor management

I have been working at Openet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance, medical benefits which cover direct family members, 21 days Annual Leave, has a social club committee that plans social activities throughout the year. Good work environment.

Cons

Employees are not being valued (poor increment, no company bonus for several years now). Company has been staying at the same place for several years now and the top management seems to be satisfied with this. This has caused company's growth to stop and many employees are leaving. Some managers do not seem to care what their employees are doing.

I believe more effort is needed in compensating the employees better. Lazy and irresponsible managers need to be replaced. The employees need to know that the company has a clear direction for growth and not just struggling at a same place.

Still a small company with big ambitions but senior management team are not right people to deliver.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Openet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Additional holidays award for each year of service.
    Good employee welfare.
    Generally flexible working hours - can come to work early / late for doctor / dentist visits.
    Graduates get exposure to some interesting work.

Cons

Managers are great at fire-fighting but poor at planning.
    Nepotism and cliques are prevalent. If you're not part of the club, too bad.
    No pay rises or bonus for part 4 years. Little scope for learning new skills or career advancement.
    Office environment is poor, split across two buildings in Dublin.

Professional Services Engineers get shafted

Former Employee - Professional Services Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Professional Services Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Openet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Has all the usual perks. Can be a good way to network as deal with many operators and some third party vendors. Seems to be great if in test, development (usual s/w busy periods preceding deadlines) or other role (ice cream days, Wednesday breakfasts, on site health checks). Travel if that's what you are after.

Cons

In Professional Services - long hours, weekend work, work through holidays etc. little-no "project" bonus on green field sites (as often projects are highly underestimated). Some clueless, time-wasting, project managers that add to the pressure of tight schedules and quite often mislead customers. no pay for all the extra hours and you do not get anywhere near the extra days lost en lieu.

level the field amongst the different groups. either PS hours drop or they are rewarded for all the extra work.

Mostly good, with a mix of non-ideal situations

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Openet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of learning to be gained
    Management does genuinely tries to make this a better workplace
    Some managers do care about the welfare of the staff

Cons

Some politics across different organizations in the company, not as rampant as some similarly sized companies but if this is not controlled or discouraged, this may grow.
    Attempts on improvements are not done right yet

Appreciate the folks that work with you better and show it
    You need to spend money to make money, there are a lot of talented people in the company, engineers or not that needs to be appreciated better.