Opera Solutions

Opera Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann

Bernhard Nann

Pros:
  • "Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Opportunity to be part of the most advanced company in the exploding Big Data arena"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Whenever someone who knows what they are doing in the big data / product world (e"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Lots of experience that will be taken with me

I have been working at Opera Solutions

ProsThe variety and level of clients we work with is pretty amazing. Anything from a smaller company in a rural setting to a fortune 500 company right in NYC. Not only that, but there are healthcare companies, state agencies, banks, credit card companies, manufacturers, etc. The people area really intelligent and from all over, making for a (mostly) enjoyable experience. The work environment is awesome and something I wish more companies had. Gives you a good sense of freedom compared to the typical corporate structure.

ConsWhere to start on the cons. There is a definitive struggle to find a working strategy here. I think we all know we want to be innovative and product solutions in some way that harnesses data, big/small/disparate/whatever. Though we can't seem to get past fancy marketing and smoke/mirror tactics and simply explain the real value that we provide. I feel like we sell ourselves short of what we really do with trying to make it look like this magical machine that spits out insights. Nobody really knows what is going on, though it is hard to stay positive with how things are.

Another review mentioned this, but while the variety of work is nice, the quality of project can vary greatly. Plus we're now in the spot with little room to move.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need more transparency and a clear/concise plan. Pick one and let us work towards it.

Purely depends which team you are joining

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Opera Solutions for more than a year

ProsFlexible Timing, Come to office anytime - Leave office anytime, Work from home. They just want work, anyhow.

ConsPolitics, Poor senior management, no appreciation, cost cutting, do have many policies but no one follow those policies, unfair appraisal system. Employees who have joined straight from campus were sometime given work of data crunching which they do it for 6 months to 1 year keeping a hope and expectation that they will get a good quality work. No transparency is there as many employees doesn't even ave idea whats going in the firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management should be approachable and flexible enough to do the changes, so that the employees in junior can come and share their common problems which they facing and accordingly changes should be implement.

Excellent First Job Experience

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsVery good pay
Not a strict 9 to 5 office structure; work from home encouraged
Attention given to the quality of work rather than the quantity of time spent in office

ConsLesser number of office parties since i have joined

Advice to Senior ManagementAttention to employee retention and satisfaction. Increase interaction with the new joinees, it acts as a morale boost plus you get to know what's going on at the ground level.

Your experience can be extremely fascinating or the typical consulting work depending on the project type.

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

ProsWork with smart people, with blue-chip clients, using cutting-edge technology.

ConsThe company is not very focused in direction; there are a lot of projects in many different verticals, which may be great for an analyst fresh out of school but not for an organization trying to do something completely new and disruptive.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on one vertical and try to perfect that particular technology solution before expanding to other verticals.

Business Analyst

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Noida (India)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsSmart People, Competitive Compensation, Multi-Disciplinary work

ConsSlowly shifting to products, risk of company being sold, no bonuses!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need a vision statement to instill confidence in employees

It began well and turned into several years of failed business plans and un-kept promises.

Support Services (Former Employee)
Jersey City, NJ (US)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company is full of nice, smart people. They're fun to be around, although smiling faces had become few and far between in the past couple of years.

ConsCompany description that changes as often as most people change their underwear. Products and services that either don't deliver as promised, or do at a price that's totally unprofitable to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign. They offer nothing to the people they hope will make the company work.

Bad management is killing the company

Data Analyst Lead (Former Employee)
Jersey City, NJ (US)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are a lot of talented people in the company, through many of them are leaving now. The projects are fun and challenging, you can learn a lot and build your experience.

ConsBad management, policies changed all the time, and didn't live up to the promise. The salary is lower than the market. The benefit is not competitive as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the employee well. Give them what they deserved.

Pathetic company

Data Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsWork from home. No strict timing.

ConsWork from home is ta rick to make employees work 24X7
They pay 10K more than a normal company but they make you work equivalent to 2 person.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to wake up and understand their responsibilities. Need to be taught how to interact with employees.

Opera Solutions provides innovative big data solutions

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpera is very flexible. The management is laid back. They are not afraid to be experimental. It feels like working at a startup with the stability of a major company

ConsBusiness models often seem to change on a whim leaving everyone feeling uncertain

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery level of the organization needs more accountability

Great potential being completely wasted by horrible management

Senior Analytics Specialist (Current Employee)
Noida (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsVery friendly and helpful peers who stand by you, and work alongside you at weirdest hours
Few people with good, in-depth knowledge of machine learning

ConsVery poor, immature management who dont know what timelines to commit to clients. End up setting unrealistic working hours for employees, without any overtime payment
Confusion in project leadership, random meetings, no organized directional approach to problem solving
Absolutely no consideration for personal time. Sends work anytime, anywhere, and expects everything to get done "right now"
Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management. Hatred towards managers is common. Barely ever you get to hear an appreciative comment, only interested in finding mistakes and belittling people
Non-existent training program, yet sky-high expectations of highest quality work output at impossible deadlines

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the galssdoor page and pay attention to the cons. It is more than obvious that the senior management needs a serious overhaul. Consider taking them through intensive training in leadership and emotinal intelligence. Have the courage to fire managers because of whose behavior scores of people leave the company - in the end it will serve you good.

Flag Review

Opera Solutions Manager responded to this review

Mar 19, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. Senior management does read these reviews and takes them very seriously. We value each of our talented, dedicated employees and are taking action to provide the ... More

Worked for Opera Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Opera Solutions – Why Work for Us?

Opera Solutions applies advanced analytics to Big Data flows to extract predictive patterns. Our goal is not only to make machines smarter but also (and more important) to use machines’ output to dramatically improve… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Opera Solutions reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann. All 123 reviews are posted anonymously by Opera Solutions employees.