Opera Solutions

Opera Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann

Bernhard Nann

Pros:
  • "Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Not a strict 9 to 5 office structure; work from home encouraged"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Seemingly global company working in Big Data does not seem to be able to grasp how to coordinate multinational projects or confcalls"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very good people, terrible salaries

I have been working at Opera Solutions

ProsNice culture, nice people, decent work life balance

ConsCEO too in love with SW products

Advice to Senior ManagementMake better decision

We just hit an iceberg - quick, let's rearrange the deck chairs!

Vice President (Former Employee)
Jersey City, NJ (US)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsBright and diligent Business Analysts, Data Science pros, and interesting client projects to service. Very effective marketing team.

Cons- Senior management infighting
- Lurching from funding round to funding round in choppy waters makes the oarsmen seasick

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management infighting over limited resources leads to failure. Would suggest that investors clean house, but since most of the best talent has already left the company, likely too little too late.

Intrinsically limitless potential but flawed execution

Senior Software Development Manager (Former Employee)
Noida (India)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI was hired to build India software operations. The heady and chaotic years from 2009 to 2012 were one of the best, as we made rapid strides in clients, talent and solutioneering ability. Certain amount of lateral and fiscal freedom, coupled with a management promoting open dialog.

ConsSilos started emerging in late 2012, total lack of transparency and trust breakdowns - coupled with poor market traction led to a series of top flight departures. Software and engineering skills take a backseat to management whims and wannabe pseudo-consultants. There is time and importantly, talent , to turn the company around and it carries loads of goodwill with former employees(me included)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet you act right, be honest, remove biases and understand your true calling.

Top Management needs major changes

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood learning environment and to get your feet wet so you can prepare yourself to jump ship for better opportunity.

ConsToo much internal rift between the departments is pulling the company apart. Considering its still a small to medium sized company which is still trying to get out of the start-up mode it should set it priorities straight. Instead of concentrating on what’s good for the company and being responsible/reasonable, top management is fighting internal/personal battles. Some top managers also have pompous attitude, but in fact they don’t have the knowledge or the experience. Also I know my department head would lie to me from time to time. The top leadership of the company wastes money like drunken alcoholics, and then when the funds are running low, they start lay off employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnjoy the party spend the $$ and then file for bankruptcy. Unless all management changes, who want the company to survive.

Interesting, enlightening, exciting, somewhat unfulfilling, wonderful people to work with

Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBig data space is very hot!!!, good product brand, emerging analytics products

ConsWeak Sr. Management Team, poor financial management, continual changes in direction, limited staff development

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus on developing, retaining, and rewarding good staff!!!

Good place to start, bad place to stay.

I worked at Opera Solutions

ProsThe big data industry has the potential to be huge.

ConsThe management at the top is horrible.

Opera could be Better with new management!

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorks around your schedule, flexible and options to work from home when your kids are sick!

ConsDo not come clean to employees, underpaid and all suddenly not bonuses!

Advice to Senior Managementplease be responsible and tell the true what is going on with the company. Money comes but disappear right away. You keep hiring this high level salaries and your people struggling, YOU NEED TO KEEP US HAPPY TO WORK FOR YOU.

Transforming firm that provides great exposure to problems that are challenging the world's top companies

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros- Incredibly smart and driven colleagues
- Great opportunities for client exposure and continuous learning
- Projects are challenging and intellectually stimulating; results matter to clients' top executives

Cons- "Fabric" of the firm and top-down communication need serious attention; has been improving in last 6 months but still needs significant improvement or attrition will continue
- Cash bonuses are non-existent or only provided when required for retention

Advice to Senior Management- Bring back cash bonuses to motivate performance; stock options are not the only way to foster retention
- Significantly improve communications and intra-office firm building (e.g., off-sites)

Killed by greed - watch for phony employee reviews

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNone - management team is lost and trying to survive with smoke and mirrors. When the end justifies the means to make a few rich at the expense of employees it is hard to find a 'pro'

ConsAll fluff and no substance - has NOTHING to sell but marketing materials
No knowledge of digital - either technology or data
Spending money like drunken sailors, with nothing to show for in terms of software or IP
hired 100's of employees overnight with just one phone screen, gave them very high titles and doubled their salaries just to turn around and fire them (and yes it is true)
Constantly running out of cash and telling lies to employees regarding salaries and bonus payments that never come
No longer any competent business minds at opera
EXTREMELY dishonest with employees and clients alike - absolutely no sense of integrity
Expensive services for clients and engagements that get renewed less that 5% of the time
Look at the writing style of the positive (3+ stars)reviews ...it's easy to see that they are fake. Management is working hard to fight the flow of negative reviews

Advice to Senior ManagementKarma is just around the corner

watching a slow motion train wreck w an out-of-control CEO

Principal (Former Employee)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Prosthe space was hot (until recently); superficially the story was interesting for Opera; there was great promise for building a disciplined consulting firm with tagalong recurring revenues

Conszero consistency in execution. The CEO had a new strategy every day. Sycophants surround him and no one is willing to tell the emperor he isn't wearing any clothes

Advice to Senior Managementprobably too late to save the place without entirely new leadership; significant job cuts; and a renewed build it up again focus on the consulting w selected recurring revs model.

Worked for Opera Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Opera Solutions – Why Work for Us?

Opera Solutions applies advanced analytics to Big Data flows to extract predictive patterns. Our goal is not only to make machines smarter but also (and more important) to use machines’ output to dramatically improve… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Opera Solutions reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann. All 126 reviews are posted anonymously by Opera Solutions employees.