Opera Solutions

Opera Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann

Bernhard Nann

Pros:
  • "Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Not a strict 9 to 5 office structure; work from home encouraged"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Seemingly global company working in Big Data does not seem to be able to grasp how to coordinate multinational projects or confcalls"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

If you're looking for a company with substance, opportunities and work-life balance, look elsewhere

Engagement Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat to get your feet wet; great camaraderie among junior consultants.

ConsLow set of values among top leadership, expect to be treated accordingly. Limited true expertise among the topics on which Opera declares itself as thought leader (big-data / sourcing), which often results in limited value to the client.

Opera Solutions

I have been working at Opera Solutions

ProsGrowth opportunities are scarce. Perfect place for a short term employment.

ConsWorking with Opera includes dealing with low and immature management.

Don't make any promises that you can't keep

Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Flexible timings

Can't think of any other

Cons- Too many lies at every stage, specially by the HR
- Different rules and treatment to different teams
- NO stability
- Highly disorganized management team
- Management and seniors do not have a habit of even reading their official emails
- Group of highly dissatisfied employees

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look, where the company is going!!

Great potential, but falls short

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsFantastic, smart, and driven junior people and mid-level managers. Pleasure to work with. Flexible work arrangements (face-time not important).

ConsManagement is completely out of touch with reality. Does not care about its employees, resulting in high attrition rate. Need to work with India and China offices on a daily basis and juggle different time zones.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore effort into making employees happy and improving retention by cycling people out of long-term projects.

Not found as expected

Noida (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsThe only best part here are the people Really smart and talented graduates.

Cons-One cannot make any futuristic plan here. There are fears on Company being sold, no bonus( a truth though) etc.
-The top management is extremely good in delivering long speech, but dont know how to execute any plan
- No vision for future
-The good old days of travel, office parties and good work are long gone

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try to know how juniors are doing, and help them in building their career

Mediocre work for software folks.

Software Specialist (Current Employee)
Noida (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsGood flexible pay if you are from a tier one college. Cant think of anything else. They do give a blackberry to every employee for calls, etc!

ConsCompany management seems unclear w.r.t. the direction in which the company is going. HR is a complete joke. Lot of restrictions on network and IT. Facilities such as snacks, lunch even at one's own cost are practically non existent. No stock options unless you are at the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better people.

Mixed Experience, Failing Company

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat career building experience in a very hot market (Predictive Analytics). The scientists/modelers are profoundly collaborative people who are have great faith in software (not necessarily software engineers). Flexible career options. Friday lunches, happy-hour, high-tea. Good community of people who are sincerely trying to succeed.

ConsLack of IT and computing infrastructure conforming to industry standards is holding both analytics and software divisions. Dev-Ops team, which was functional, just disappeared entirely. Company has been steadily losing employees (about 1-3 a week) and laid-off all hiring staff in US. Factions between and within various offices deadlock any meaningful software development, in turn causing significant cash-burn without any enabling revenue. Competing in over-saturated markets because of several employee's and manager's history with Fair-Isaac

Opera Getting Its Act Together

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsBrilliant people to work with. Very cool projects. Much better communication. Deals starting to take shape at Opera. No doubt prior management had issues but now things seem to starting to take hold. Good to see new outside talent coming in. Recent deal closures and new outside relationships are real and with some of largest companies on the planet.

ConsStill has work to do in getting company and messaging aligned. Some leaders still need help. Stop chasing tails.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused. Keep on the path and stick to the current organization that has been put in place. Review compensation program for everyone.

Outstanding people, questionable leadership

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsIntelligent and hardworking employees with a wide variety of backgrounds ranging from consulting, software, to sciences resulting in a friendly and tight-knit culture.

Ability to do innovative analytics and see business value of projects.

Access to and experience working with senior-level decision makers at client firms.

Overall a decent place to learn things, e.g., ideal for someone's first job out of school.

ConsComplete lack of understanding of software and technology by Sr. management. No understanding of how to build software.

Extreme micromanagement by Sr. Managers stemming from what seemed to be a highly top-down culture.

Below-market salaries for almost all equivalent positions at other firms and even other start-ups. No matching 401K. Healthcare was a joke.

Complete lack of transparency on how the company was doing overall. Very little communication to the "grunts" resulting in rumor mills being a fact of life.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe virtual religious devotion of trying to "productize" everything combined with leadership that has no experience developing real software products is killing what was once I believe a very vibrant consulting business. Go back to being a consulting firm with analytics instead of trying to become yet-another-overly-hyped big data offering. Stop sourcing work to overseas offices.

All Sparkle No Substance

I have been working at Opera Solutions

ProsHard working and bright employees
Flexible hours

ConsKey positions in management have been held by people because they have been with the company from the beginning and not because of merit or qualification. Here is the brief summary of the management.
CEO - Waiting for his golden parachute
COO - Redefining the word "wannabe"
CSO - Madeup and non-existant - cleanup needs to start from here
CTO - Scamster
PMO - Junior Scamster aka making up his own work

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should consist of people with good experience and credentials . whether in consulting or product development

Worked for Opera Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Opera Solutions – Why Work for Us?

Opera Solutions applies advanced analytics to Big Data flows to extract predictive patterns. Our goal is not only to make machines smarter but also (and more important) to use machines’ output to dramatically improve… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Opera Solutions reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann. All 124 reviews are posted anonymously by Opera Solutions employees.