Opera Solutions

Opera Solutions Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann

Bernhard Nann

Pros
  • Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire(in 9 reviews)

• A good place to learn something about big data and machine learning(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management(in 11 reviews)

• Complete lack of transparency on how the company was doing overall(in 5 reviews)

I had high hopes

ProsA lot of talented people work/ have worked for the company. The work environment is great and the people I work with are awesome.

ConsWhere do I start. Staff turnover is high which is to be expected in this industry however management are doing nothing to retain the talent that they have. Moral is low and it appears nobody really knows where they stand. Management and policies have changed so much that I not sure if the company will survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example and appreciate your staff.

Total disapointment

Consultant (Former Employee) London, England

Pros- Interesting proposals and ideas for projects
    - Interesting field with good potential
    - Good differentiation as consulting branch

Cons- Financially unstable, bloated operating expenses
    - Very weak internal firm building
    - Exceptionally bad, downright mean, in treating employees during problems and difficulties
    - Firm running as silos with Principals and Partner's focusing only on their pet projects
    - Arbitrary and political promotions
    - Clear high level vision but no leadership nor clarity in execution. Bad implementation of overall strategy
    - Big difference for the worse between original ideas and actual client project. Ideas get dilluted

Absolute dissapointment - a wannabe Consulting firm with no leadership and poor senior management

Senior Associate (Former Employee) London, England

Prosvery little other than the good collegiate atmosphere across the firm (excluding managers to principals though). All people below Manager are really cool and very nice. I can say that I really miss a lot of them.

ConsAbsolutely no transparency in the promotion / feedback process
    clear cut between the base (analyst to senior associate) and the rest (manager to principal)
    Total lack of leadership, principals bring no business and they have no understanding of how to manage teams.
    Unclear strategy with the UK team: one day it's very strategic, the next day it doesn't matter much
    Zero communication: one day you learn that everything is going well, the next day the firm might be for sale and the third day your colleagues call you to let you know that they have just been fired
    Excluding 1 or 2 big clients monopolizing a large chunk of the consultants there is very little client relationship going on
    Moving away from strategic consulting and now mostly focused on analytics. Great to invest in but not interesting to work for
    Poor planning: the firm just crashed after having hired massive number of people, they had to fire 15% of the people, cut 10% of all salaries and bonuses were delayed forever...

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the firm to competent people who have the skills and the experience to properly develop this business and provide opportunities for its consultants to learn and develop new skills.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A ride unlike any other

ProsVery smart and driven colleagues.

Extremely interesting problems.

Great access to top executives at leading firms.

Flat org structure and good development opportunities (but sink or swim).

Never a dull moment.

ConsVery unpredictable - not for the faint of heart.

Company direction is still fluid but getting much better over last 3 months. Slowly moving away from historic issues driven by never seeing a problem we couldn't solve.

Still some lingering complainers left who should just leave the firm instead of spending their time taking shots at a company that they're still a part of. Things change. Challenges happen. Get over it or quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. The last 2 quarters have put us on a path of open communication and steadily increasing revenue growth that will help us build an amazing company.

Doing what it takes to succeed

Director (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ (US)

Pros1. Developing and validating a entirely new technology platform being adopted by some of the largest corporations in the world. A true game changer. Increasingly proven.
    2. Passionate leadership who believe in what they do and responding and adapting to challenges.
    3. Moving to giving our young associates a chance to take leadership much faster than we could get elsewhere
    4. New CEO has put in a structure with much greater accountability and focus which will payoff.
    5. Truly global company with significant opportunities to see the world.
    6. Business problems at the cutting edge. Unique.

Cons1.truly traumatic transition from a service company to a technology led company. Resulted in dislocation and loss of identity and affiliation for many of us.
    2. Processes such as incentives and staffing in disarray which made life unpleasant and difficult. Being fixed and getting better.
    3. High attrition particularly in the service group as the new direction did not fit. A double edged sword as costs declined and gave us more junior people more opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo many vitriolic complaints from current and ex employees. Nobody is forcing you to stay. Many of us like the challenges and the direction. Building something new is always difficult. If you don't like it just quit. You will be doing all of us a favor. I don't believe any company can give you as intense, compressed and high quality experience as this company can.
    Keep focused and stay the course. The best revenge is success. Many big deals being closed. The momentum seems to be gaining force.

Opportunity to interact with others cultures.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ (US)

ProsThe company has been an opportunity for me growth in the professional area. Colleagues are very nice, fun, smart, easy to get along with so many different cultures.

ConsManagement has been shaddy this past three year and not clear what they wanted. Poor management levels as well and G&A not pay well accordingly to today's living cost.

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize your employees effort to work and clearly project trust and wisdom as of where you want to take the company in the future.

Company going through the transition phase

Analyst (Current Employee) Noida (India)

ProsFlexible work hours, smart colleagues, start-up friendly culture

Consflat learning curve in consulting stream, no one gets onshore opportunities in first year, low employee morale currently

Advice to Senior ManagementCampus pass-outs join the firm hoping that it'll be a great learning opportunity for them. In absence of learning opportunities, attrition is bound to happen. Management should push policies that ensure steep learning curve for freshers.

" Lack of good quality projects in certain business verticals.."

Solutions Analyst (Former Employee) Noida (India)

Pros- Informal work culture; very approachable and friendly seniors/colleagues
    - Work life balance
    - decent amount of top-down transparency
    - Leadership change in recent times which can bring the firm out of muddy waters

Cons- Inability to convert big projects
     - Certain BUs find diminishing share in the overall business leading to low employee morale
     - Not so state-of-the-art training facilities

Advice to Senior Management1. Focus on providing good quality and productive work and professional exposure to the employees especially the fresher ones.
    2. Streamline on business verticals and pitch for good projects in order to bring certainty and focus back in the firm.
    Having said this, with the new leadership team in place the firm looks set for a better future ahead.

best training camp for new graduate students to enter bid data industry.

Analytics Lead (Former Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Prosvery flat structure, inspiring intelligent people.to work with

Constotal different industry for different project, different project management style. quick pick up ability is needed

Hopeless Place to Work

Director (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ (US)

ProsNice office view of Hudson river.
    No one cares what you are doing (Pro for slackers). Otherwise see no pros and hope.
    Management talks all positive that's it.

ConsManagement confused as ever product company or consulting company. Make you work hard and when time comes of payout rules are changed so as delay the incentive and then pay few hundreds.
    Management is clueless, frequent Town Hall's and talks. Busy flying around the world and cares least about employees.
    Big Data is all BS. None of their products are delivered on time and as promised (Quality is out of question)
    Please check with the customers, they are all very dis-satisfied.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice, It is damaged beyond repair. Every year new philosophy with new management and rules.

Worked for Opera Solutions? Contribute to the Community!