Opera Solutions Reviews

Updated 20 April 2015
174 reviews filtered by

Exciting 3 Years in terms of Learning and Meeting Talent in Industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Multiple challenging and exciting ongoing engagements to drive your career trajectory - interestingly if you have right mindset and neck to learn, you will have ton of choices to drive your career path.
    2) Learning curve is really steep here as you have a choice to pick from science, analytics and consulting work ... I switched my core focus from Consulting to Analytics and Scientists in the company were really helpful, especially the Chief Scientist and she supported my choice. Thankfully, I have performed to Management's expectation and I got steep learning in return (which is priceless in my opinion).
    3) Talented Peer Group - It is amazing to notice diverse and talented peer group here - answer to any complex industry problem reside around you (it sounds an overstatement but it is true). Lot of codification is done in terms of signals/ insights - having said that, you can't codify Human Brain - and one of the best Pro in Opera is an extremely Talented Resource pool

Cons

1) Inflow of large projects have not been consistent, and it opens up bandwidth in the workforce. More multiple years deal need to be signed to ensure that resources remain engaged. Couple of my friends were poached by a competitor firm, which I found annoying especially since exposure here in Opera is way more than any other company could offer.
    2) Flow of resources between Consulting And Analytics should be streamlined - I was lucky but there might be other resources who might be good and might be thinking about making move to Analytics - it should be formalized.

Advice to Management

We should invest more time on hiring and retaining scientists. Another suggestion is that we should focus on identifying resources who are smart and might be tuned to be great in Analytics - can those be trained through proper training programs?

I like this company right now.

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

• Small company atmosphere, where you can dive in and help without hitting barriers that you’ll meet in more established companies. At the same time the company has well-established infrastructure in IT and support so you can get your work done. You don’t have to wear all the hats, but can (and probably will) work on various projects so you can both learn and contribute.
    • Established solutions to build on, you don’t have to start from scratch.
    • Competitive health benefits and excellent compensation.
    • And of course opportunities. This company is growing and it’s in a very hot space with data and analytics. Opera has many solutions running at fortune 500 companies and there’s more than enough work to drive the growth.
    • Through the ups and downs, successes and failures, the Signal Hub vision has not only survived, but matured into a core part of the many solutions being delivered. This is cool emerging technology that has huge potential for growth.

Cons

• An effective layer of management between the highest executives and the project-focused workers is still under construction. It’ll get there, but at this time if you need a manager to run to, your probably not going to fit in.
    • Workforce is global, literally. Communications and managing work across so many time zones is challenging.

Advice to Management

In addition to all the stuff you are already doing, strive to find/build that functional layer between you and "everyone else" through with you can effectively and regularly communicate.

Strong momentum, collaborative work culture, great people

Current Employee - Solutions Analyst in Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Solutions Analyst in Noida (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

High Growth Market Space - Big Data:. After observing Opera’s work closely in big data analytics projects in marketing domain, the phrase has finally come to mean more than a buzzword to me.
    Positive Client Feedback: Opera has clearly defined its focus on Signal Hub - it is encouraging to see extremely positive feedback from clients for the firm’s analytics capabilities and IP.
    Great People: Opera has amazing talent - there are a lot of positive vibes and energy around teams working on ongoing projects. With many new deals kicking in and momentum picking up again, it is an exciting time to be a part of the firm!
    Approachable Senior Leadership: While working on a strategic initiative, I was pleasantly surprised by how approachable senior leadership at the head office is!

Cons

Lack of awareness about Opera’s core offering - Signal Hub - at India Office. Optimism needs to percolate to India office.
    Under-utilization of resources from India office on analytics projects
    Work culture at India office can become better- existing flexibility in working hours should be maintained, senior leadership at India office needs to be more approachable
    Too much effort going into a few ongoing non/marginally profitable projects

Advice to Management

Build on the ongoing momentum and target a steep growth trajectory
    Share your views, optimism and expectations company-wide - especially with India office. Frequency and medium are very important.
    Chalk out and implement a comprehensive talent management program to check attrition

Good momentum building...

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The analytic talent and ability to deliver effective solutions is amazing. Opera's capability to provide deep and effective predictive and prescriptive analytics is way beyond just another "Big Data" bolt-on play. A lot of companies are touting Big Data effectiveness, but no one is doing what Opera is doing. The quality of people at Opera is phenomenal hence our ability to do things that other companies can not.

Cons

The old "consulting culture" is changing as more systems & structure are put into place, but it can't change quickly enough. It seems that there is not a system in place, so the "silo-ed" business functions don't have a way to share progress and success across the entire company (beyond water-cooler talk or a paragraph in an email).

Advice to Management

Continue to seek and find the "outlier" talent... not just people with the big-name company pedigree, but the builder, the self-motivator, the driven-by-heart not numbers player. Continue to strive towards excellence to celebrate and demonstrate our effectiveness so everyone is proud of our "wins". Continue the struggle towards culture change.

Not as good as management reviews would indicate, but also not as bad as fleeing employee reviews would indicate either

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ (US)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I should caveat this review by saying that I was a US based resource and experiences can be very different in other offices. Also, there is a ton of variance between good projects and bad projects so two individuals in the same office with the same title can have a very different experience.

I was fortunate to land some good projects with some strong teams. I received great exposure to predictive analytics / machine learning and consulting while at Opera. I worked on some very challenging and interesting projects. Predictive analytics / machine learning / Big Data is a very hot space right now so experience in these areas allows for a lot of flexibility.

I also met some great people (also see cons). Work-life balance was very reasonable for me.

The worst is probably behind the company as the company hit a bottom 6 months to a year back and Opera seems to be building some positive momentum. We'll see if that lasts.

Cons

A few years back this company was attracting top talent both across the globe. That's not the case anymore, though some talented folks still remain. It was painful to see the difference between 2 years back and now since there were so many highly talented, awesome people to be around. There are much fewer that remain.

Bonuses inconsistent / nonexistent, though perhaps that is a thing of the past. Promotions not really merit based and generally inconsistent.

Senior management has generally been pretty terrible in the past.

Advice to Management

Replacing your lost US talent with resources from India and China is not a good long term solution. You must start hiring more US resources.

7. Average Company

I worked at Opera Solutions

Pros

Work culture is good, managers are very supportive in nature
    Provide good platform to freshers
    Give good learn opportunities to the employees who wanted to learn and work hard
    People are very friendly and warm welcoming in nature

Cons

Senior Management is very bad
    They consider their employees as if they are their slaves
    HR is useless
    Lots n lots of politics
    Compensation wise they pay you very less then the current market

Improved focus on what matters

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to leading edge projects at some the world's best companies. I have not had any issues with personal growth, there are plenty of opportunities for those willing to expand their skills and try new things. In my experience I've found the exec team to be very approachable if you reach out to them with an idea. As more companies learn of our capabilities we'll have more work than we can handle at current staffing levels.

Cons

The company is geographically dispersed, which has pros and cons (such as timezones). Seems as though many people are so focused on their individual projects that they don't see the big picture and vision for the company.

Advice to Management

Double-down on the technology and projects that matter most. Our capabilities have been proven valuable and we need to maintain our leadership in a growing market. This means applying more resources to developing core technology that will appeal to a growing number of mainstream customers.

Worked at Snapdeal

I worked at Opera Solutions

Pros

Open Culture. Flexible Work timing and challenge work

Cons

they should work on peer equity to maintain peer satisfaction

Advice to Management

Upper management should be transparent to convey the vision of company

Lack of management guidance, limited investment into the company, minimal infrastructure

Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people below the management layer

Cons

Management head completely in the sand, no understanding of the 'Big Data' marketplace or client opportunities

Advice to Management

Improve business development organization, hire better delivery resources, focus on marketplace to guide product development

Detailed Notes on my experiences with Opera

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Jersey City, NJ (US)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love this company due to many reasons, some of which I have tried to outline below in detail:

1) Highly Talented Peer Group - I have worked in many firms both in US and India, and with that experience, I must say that I have been highly impressed by the talent pool here in Opera. It comes from the fact that the firm hires from the best schools across the globe, with specific DNA in the employees. It is due to this fact that you will always find resources at Opera coming up with innovative and smart solutions to the difficult and complex industry problems. No matter how crucial the opening is - it is emphasized to hire ONLY "right" candidate. My top reason to vouch for this ambitious and smart talent pool.

2) Freedom to choose Career Paths - In Opera, I started with Process re-design Consulting 3 years back for one of the top financial US institutions, then I decided to move to Procurement practice area and Opera supported me with this move. I worked with clients in US, Europe and India on multiple procurement initiatives. And then - figuring out my passion - I decided to move to Product Management and I started working with one of the top Products team as a Product Manager - I led development of leading products in supply chain industry. After 3 years, I decided to move to the core Products Group - and the firm supported my move. Where else would I have found such support - only at a place where employer understands power of playing employees to their strengths. It is completely different at Opera, where I get to choose what I love, and company is open in helping me find my passion. My experience with my last large US based employer (top Consulting firm) was completely different where I was stuck with an Account and a Practice Area - the attitude there was that I was too small to be cared. I think being entrepreneurial is one of the DNAs of a typical successful Opera resource.

3) Respect for Talent - I was going through some of the other posts on this site, and noticed that most of the posts seem to be written by ex-Operaites who could not cope up with the talented peer group - I could not stop but smile (knowing that the firm is not meant for all and management knows that). As a company, I have high regard for Opera and its management - since only resources - who are smart and highly driven to bring change in client environments - are respected at Opera. Others - either leave or are requested to go - seem to be writing on these portals. So much negativity for a place where only smart people survive - if it is too much for an average Joe, then s/he never understood the core DNA of Opera. I would provide an alternate to anyone reading these reviews - simple way to test waters is to connect with any of the top universities in the world and get feedback from the seniors/ peers.

4) Clear Vision/ transparent policies - I had concerns like everyone else, but ever since Company came up with a clear vision statement [correct move], I have realized that all decisions are focused in line with our vision. Also, the management made all the policies in the company transparent. Folks who are complaining about these policies, are the ones who were getting benefited with lack of clear policies. I am very happy knowing exactly what we focus on as a company, and how we are doing in realizing the dream.

5) Open Channel to Management - I have not seen any company where you could connect with CEO/ Chairman directly, and you get response within a day. I love this initiative taken by Opera 6 months back. Most of the folks on this portal - who are complaining - should try working in any of the big names around the world and try to connect with their CEOs. In any case, company has a large talent pool and they are driven to bring change both internally and externally - the complacent ones are finding themselves misfits and are either requested to leave or realize that this is not a place for them. Bottom line - the company becomes better and better each day with clear accountability across the ladder.

6) Challenging Problems/ Cutting edge research - One of the reasons that we attract best talents in the world is with the the nature of work - the firms get you to work on one of the toughest problems in the world, and be part of the change. I have seen new joinees sitting in front of the clients and getting exposed to the real world problems here - and not stuck with "client is only for senior team members" syndrome.

7) Above Par Pay Scale - Opera has been one of the better paying firms - compare it with any of the competitors and you will realize that you work hard and you earn more - seems like a proposition in line with DNA of the highly driven people - work hard, get paid better.

I can go on and on, but this will give you an idea of how a company - driven with a passion to innovate (as our DNA) - can be the one stop address for the most complex industry problems - put forward by clients. They trust us and we deliver on their trust....

Cons

No firm is perfect, and a small firm like Opera has some improvement areas too. It is part of the change that will happen over time. I think it is important that you take yourself as one of the levers to push these changes. Some of the improvement areas in my list for the firm are:

1) Lack of Dedicated Sales Resources - Though I don't mind playing multiple roles at mid-management position as it gives me an opportunity to learn and I love doing that, but not having dedicated sales team impacts company's market reach. Also, it distracts Account Management and Delivery teams from their core focus areas. Management has repeatedly mentioned that they understand this problem, and step in themselves (150%+) to support key client pitches - in fact, most of the large accounts are attracted by the name of the management team. This is one of the areas I would like to see improving over years as we invest in sales team. If you want to join Opera, be careful that you will be requested to support some of the ongoing client pitches - so if you are one of the lazy 8-4 guy, Opera isn't a place for you .. may be one of the larger ones with ton of money to keep resources on bench would be a better choice for you.

2) No Clear Firing Policy - One of the things I think this company should adopt is a really good firing policy. I have seen that resources are given enough chances to grow before they are asked to leave - there should be a quick firing if the resource can't cope up with the job requirements. Why waste everyone's time and frustrate the peers. Something I would like Management to seriously think about in the near future. PIP program exists on paper - but rarely used.

3) Training Programs - this is one of the areas where initiatives like Opera University has covered some ground, but in general, the company could focus more on training employees. Most of the training programs currently run informally - when you are around smart folks you learn skills on the feet as well. This is one of the initiatives that will be taken up by the firm in near future. If you are looking for formal certificates so that you can switch jobs, then Opera is not a place for you.

Advice to Management

1) As company transitioned from being a Consulting firm to a Big Data Platform company, lot of employees could not cope up with the transition. They wanted to sit back and relax, and earn free salaries - the management was smart enough to track individual performances, and let go employees who were simply misfits. It was not an easy transition, but management did an awesome job in steering ship to different waters.... My suggestion is to keep identifying the misfits and either put them on PIP Programs or ask them to leave.
    2) Clearly Defined Firing Policy and Training Program (covered in detail in Cons)

Best of luck with the momentum. There are always employees - who look for easy bucks, but the ones who understand potential of the idea and want to be part of the change - will always stand right next to you.