Opower

Updated 14 October 2014
4.3

Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates

Pros
  • This is a fun place to work with a ton of really smart people (in 9 reviews)

• Competitive pay, fun work environment, senior management is very approachable, great coworkers (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad Work-Life-Balance - ongoing issue that is constantly raised by employees and Management does not seem to care (in 9 reviews)

• None to speak of - long hours come with the territory but aren't a con, they should be expected when one has the desire to work in this space (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

44 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

So happy to be an O!

I have been working at Opower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As an employer, Opower is great. There is a real focus on employees and making this a fun, challenging, "Owesome" place to work. I've received really great training and guidance on the utility industry and markets, and I have learned a ton in my short time here. There is also a real focus on creating a diverse, integrated, respectful work environment; something I really appreciate after years in the IT industry.
    Working here, you're surrounded by really smart, capable people. There is a genuine desire from the team here to carry out Opower's mission. People are invested in doing their part in making the world a better place. It's not lip service, and it's great to be part of a dedicated team like this one.
    Finally, the dogs! There are wet noses to smooch, ears to scratch, and play bows and wagging tails to make you smile.

Cons

- Lack of 401(k) matching. This is a very odd benefit not to have, especially given the otherwise robust benefits package offered.
    - For all the "Owesome" stuff, it's clear that Opower is going through some growing pains. There's a lot to do, and not always enough hands to do the work. If you're willing to speak up and roll up your sleeves at times, your hard work and recommendations will be heard and recognized.

Keep investing in corporate diversity and integration, and managerial training. Also, 401(k) MATCHING! C'mon peeps!

Sep 22, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Welcome to O! Thank you for the kind words and suggestions. All are being taken to heart with new diversity roundtables and happy hours underway, management training in the works, and there's a team ... More

Great people and a worthwhile mission, but there is an incredible amount of tech debt. Also, the software stack is too complicated for its own good.

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people. There are some incredibly smart and interesting people at the company, and the mission is something that people rally behind.

Cons

Being an engineer on the operations side is soul sucking.

Just hire a CTO all ready. Also, please stop calling the only product that makes you money, and the thing that all your clients are using "the legacy application". You are driving great engineers away with the crazy tech debt, the over-complicated software stack, and the dirty hacks "for now" that persist in production.

Also, pay your operations people. Why do you pay $90k - 180k to engineers to work in a vacuum and eventually crap out the next version of abandonware, while operations engineers who are on call for this garbage make $60k - $100k?

Oct 15, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We're so sorry to hear you feel this way and appreciate your feedback greatly. We've forwarded your concerns to HR leadership. Also, we expect to be sharing our compensation philosophy by the end of ... More

Wasted potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at Opower full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opower has high hiring standards in most areas, and it's nice to be around so many talented people. It's also a company where people become close friends with their coworkers.

The mission is legit. You feel like your work is meaningful because it saves people money and reduces carbon emissions.

Cons

Compensation is always the lowest possible amount HR thinks they can get away with. People get huge counteroffers, and most of them leave anyway because they were insulted. Of course, if management and HR thinks they can string someone along with the promise of a possible raise in a few months, they'll do that instead of a firm counteroffer. Always the lowest compensation possible.

The CFO runs the company and refuses to invest in R&D. Teams go underfunded, maintenance gets neglected, quality slips in embarrassing ways, revenue is lost, and then there's a bunch of meetings where management thinks really hard about how to solve all these problems in ways other than hiring people to work on them. There are armies of people at Opower who analyze processes and organizational efficiency, though.

Oct 16, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We appreciate your feedback and are sincerely sorry to hear you feel this way. Fortunately, the concern about compensation was identified in the recent Oployee survey and an action plan is already in ... More

Wonderful. Chaotic & disorganized. Poor compensation.

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-terrific company culture on many levels
    -hire the most intelligent, hard-working people
    -semi-stocked fridge/pantry & fun events
    -open/flexible work environment

Cons

-semi-stocked fridge/pantry
    -HR is a mess that operates with the disorganization of a small start-up and the snail's pace of a large company—the worst of both worlds
    -another HR issue: compensation is low; they hire the best ppl, but don't do well to retain them
    -general chaos, disorganization, lack of processes/guidance in many aspects of the company

At a behavioral science company, HR should be utilizing forward-thinking practices based on behavioral science to motivate and retain employees. Also, the general expectation of a much-more-than-40-hour work week does not align with the low compensation.

Oct 14, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We sincerely appreciate your review and are sorry to hear you feel this way. Hearing from Oployees is crucial to maintaining our culture as we continue to rapidly expand in the U.S. and globally ... More

Great people, evolving org structures

Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people with whom is awesome to work with, be challenged by and as a result grow

Cons

Too much work can get in way of personal growth

Focus on employee retention as much as employee acquisition

Oct 15, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review. We appreciate your feedback.

Awesome company

I have been working at Opower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are awesome and the work is great. There is always a collaborative atmosphere that enables you to communicate with many different intelligent individuals. The employees are all passionate, intelligent and are the best of the best. I actually don't dread going to work as I used to.

- Tons of Benefits
    - Great People who are passionate about what they do
    - Awesome and challenging work
    - You get out of it what you put into it
    - Very laid back yet professional setting

Cons

There is a lot of work. And that means you'll probably have to stay late.

- Long hours
    - Average Pay

Jul 31, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review and great feedback. We take it to heart and will be sure to share it with cOmpany leaders.

Owesome!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at Opower full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a fun place to work with a ton of really smart people. The open environment is great for collaboration and learning. There is a ton of team and company events. Lots of work but lots of play as well.

Cons

They need more people. There is so much work to do and the company is doing so well that it is hard to keep up with the demand. For every one person they hire they need 2 just to keep up.

Harness the current employee talent and potential and grow them. Don't let the great people get burned out and leave.

Aug 06, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We appreciate the review and feedback!

Still a decent place to work

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Very smart people. Lots of very intelligent, very dedicated people. Most have a good attitude and make it enjoyable to collaborate.
    * Great company mission.
    * President Alex is very inspiring and a true leader.
    * Good location in Arlington. Not far from DC with lots of restaurants and housing options for those who move to the area.
    * Fun office distractions -- lots of parties, happy hours, free shwag, to keep things exciting and wow employees who have never seen anything similar at a workplace.
    * Many opportunities to perform well and earn promotions.

Cons

* Work-life balance is terrible. People are expected to be always on and prepared to produce under unrealistic deadlines.
    * Client delivery teams perpetually operate under impossible deadlines and their chaos drives people out of that organization. It's also hard to attract the right kind of talent here. Chaos rains down on other parts of the company from the delivery teams.
    * Compensation is not very competitive, and Opower is stingy with stock. S1 filing indicates that the founders own 39% of the company still, but nearly every employee, new or old, was granted a negligible number of options.

Still a pretty decent place to work. Try to be more generous with stock and compensation because it will give employees a feeling of ownership and loyalty. We are generous with our time and effort on a daily basis and want to feel valued. Try to get more training for your middle managers, some of them are making their employees lives miserable.

Fun environment, talented people

I have been working at Opower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The environment here is extremely collaborative and trusting. The training and onboarding processes are fast-paced, however new employees are given strong support from all areas. My managers have been flexible with hours and time off, and (almost) always leave the office by 6:00. Great open work space - every employee is near a window and has a smorgasbord of choices for healthy office furniture. There are many smaller/quieter work spaces available, a great kitchen, and friendly office dogs too. The employees here have varied backgrounds and interests, all of which are often showcased in one way or another at work. While Opower strives for a double bottom line, management is pragmatic and evidence-driven in setting their energy efficiency goals.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive and there is no 401K matching; I'm hoping that the recent fundraising round will help to boost some salary and benefits. The hiring process and HR team seemed a little overwhelmed at times, however I attributed that to an extremely rapid ramp-up in employees.

Jun 23, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review! We love hearing how happy you are at Opower and appreciate your suggestion.

Great people, stimulating work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are down to earth, smart, and the best part of working at Opower. Of course the cereal bar and other perks are nice too. The work is stimulating, with more than enough challenges to keep me busy.

Cons

The pay is average and there's not a ton of room for moving up the ranks since the company is relatively small.

When can we get some 401k matching up in here!?

May 21, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review and the advice! Passing your feedback on up!