Opower

Opower Reviews in Arlington, VA

Updated May 14, 2014

Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates

Daniel Yates

Pros
  • smart people, inspiring mission, business model that works (in 5 reviews)

• Opower is a great work environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad Work-Life-Balance - ongoing issue that is constantly raised by employees and Management does not seem to care (in 8 reviews)

• None to speak of - long hours come with the territory but aren't a con, they should be expected when one has the desire to work in this space (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights
17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A meritocracy and an empowered employee base.. need I say more?

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

ProsThis is the first place where I have seen employees challenge their seniors, including the CEO, and is received well, for the better. This company really believes in motivating its team members thru hiring the best and challenging them with hard problems. You are given the room to fail and rope to grow.

Fun culture, young work force, lots of energy, pranks, food, beer and fun events for various times of the year like halloween competition, worst-sweater-competition, cinco-de-mayo fun. Oh, innumerable happy hours, some company sponsored, some dutch, but still all fun. Routinely see team members going out as a group for lunch/dinner outings. Company has more than 20 activity groups like wine lovers, yoga lovers, biking, golfing etc.

ConsSince it grew so quickly, not all ducks are in a row, so unless you are a self-starter or can thrive in chaos, keep away. Directions shift quickly, processes come and go.. nothing is set in stone. If it does not work, we throw it and retry. No ego/no hurt/no shame. That is a pro, but for some, this can be a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst time people managers should be given more people manager type training, so they are not just learning by the seat of their pants.

Watch your back

Director (Former Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

ProsGreat mission driven company (energy efficiency really matters). Most of the individual contributors are smart and hard working.

ConsThe management team is duplicitous at best. If you're Director level or higher, watch your back. The C-level team fired a ton of Directors in the 2 years prior to IPO. It didn't matter how much you'd contributed to the company's growth and success. If you were middle management, your head was on the chopping block. Maybe things are better now the IPO has happened, but who knows?

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some integrity. Respect your team. Reward managers for hard work.

An amazing place for a software engineer to work; probably the best in the DC area

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

Pros* Work with the best and brightest: it's truly an honor to work with such talented, motivated, bright colleagues. I don't know of any other similarly-sized tech companies in DC that are on par.
    * Great pay: I get paid slightly better than market rate for my position, and my stock options are worth 2x my annual salary when/if we IPO.
    * Great benefits: HSA, 401k, more annual leave than I know what to do with, etc.
    * Free food: free breakfasts every day, free catered lunches on Fridays, and a completely stacked snack closet that would make any college kid drool. Oh, and they even have farm fresh milk and produce, so there are healthy snacking options too!

Cons* I can't vouch for the working environment of other groups outside of Engineering.
    * The day to day job is trying to make energy usage and efficiency interesting to your avg person, which is tough because for the most part it's pretty boring.
    * If you work remotely it can be challenging, because Opower struggles with audio/video conferencing, but I think that's probably true of all companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementDan and Alex are doing a great job running the company, but as the company grows, they'll need to work A LOT harder to find out what the "boots on the ground" folks actually think about life at Opower. You should probably assume that your VPs are giving you an overly-optimistic impression of how their individual contributors are doing. Hiring/training great managers is probably the biggest problem.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Experience great people and a great work environment, all while making a difference.

Consumer Marketing (Current Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

ProsEveryone is smart.
    Great work environment.
    Lots of employee perks.
    Huge concentration on acquiring and keeping top tier talent.
    Concentration on making a difference.

ConsGrowing fast so everyone is new.
    Decent learning curve that can be hard to get around with so many new people.
    Typical growing pains of a young organization.
    Occasional over-focus on internal rather than external matters.

Great people, great mission, great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

ProsHigh bar for hiring - everyone I've met while working here is very talented and highly motivated.

Fulfilling work - you truly do feel that your work helps make the world a better place.

Great company culture and office environment make it an enjoyable experience to come to work every day.

Flexible hours.

ConsPay/benefits could be better. Career advancement opportunities could be a bit more structured.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

I Still Pinch Myself - The best place filled with the best people I have ever worked with

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

ProsThis is a fast paced, smart double bottom line company with a solid company culture that values innovation, rapid problem solving, quirky humor, and individual and collaborative contributions:
    - "A" players / top-notch hires
    - location
    - solid benefits / care for their employees (equity, stocked organic kitchens / food, weekly massages, very flexible WFH policy, dogs in the office, regular company sponsored HH, events and outings, paid training, seminars, etc.)
    - plentiful growth and development opportunities
    - regular feedback and visible quarterly goals in addition to annual reviews
    - connection to your work and visible impact of contributions
    - positive, motivated and enthusiastic work environment / awesome company culture
    - visible and accessible management and upper management (including the founders)

Cons- Intimidating / drawn-out recruitment process (not for the faint of heart)
    - The egos that occasionally come with "A" players are tiresome
    - Most people struggle to find a work/life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you speak, we listen.

Where smart, technology-loving, environmentalists come to work

Summer Ossociate (Current Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

ProsSuper casual and approachable workplace culture. Opower invests heavily in their employees from constant Opower U cross trainings to a fully stocked kitchen, espresso machine, catered lunches, and massages.

ConsThey are the smartest people in the room and they are the first to tell you.

Once a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

ProsYou can feel good that the work you do helps people save energy, and through that, helps protect the natural environment.

ConsA lot of mediocre managers, no real career path/growth/opportunities, no real HR department, no 401(k) match, unimpressive salaries and stock options, very little diversity, headquarters is in suburban Virginia.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more grown-ups who know how to inspire, motivate, and manage staff. Be less passive-aggressive when working assumptions are challenged. Add women/people of color/gays to your all-male management team.

Opower is Owesome!

Human Resources Program Manager (Current Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

ProsAwesome & unique culture, wicked smart, collaborative & passionate employees, great perks/pay/benefits, transparent & approachable senior leaders

ConsHyper growth means increased volume. You must work hard to work at Opower

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to consider every employee's perspective, regardless of tenure, level, etc & always communicate down.

Opower is a whole company full of the smartest people you will ever know.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

Prosculture is fun and exciting, its a company that is very clearly about so much more than making a profit, it has a mission you can actually get behind. best group of people to work with.

Consthere is so much work to be done that its hard to know when to stop some days...

Advice to Senior Managementtry to keep the level of open communication as much of a reality as we continue to grow as you have for the last five years

Worked for Opower? Contribute to the Community!