Oracle

3.3 5,325 reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

(3,108 ratings)

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good(in 721 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times(in 329 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth(in 97 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth(in 137 reviews)

5,325 Employee Reviews

Used to be a good place to work.

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Reading, England

ProsWork flexibility is great
    Training

ConsRemuneration getting worse each year
    Mature company so opportunities for career advancement is low

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many work processes are either poorly defined or do not make sense

Very focussed on Squeezing out the dollars - mostly at your expense

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsOk work life balance as there is a large Engineer population (for now)

Cons-No career path
    -Great work not really recognised
    -Internal competition for your job from lower cost countries (due to their global reach/capabilities)
    -Rapid reduction in your value whilst overloading you with requirements without effective training
    -Culture of aggressive cost cutting but without real consideration of it's impacts on staff

-Culture based on fear and compliance
    -Lack of interdepartmental co-operation (competitive)
    -High manager to staff ratio
    -Culture of "Superiority" of Original Oracle Staff vs acquired Oracle Companies
    -You have to know about something to be able to ask about it. If you didn't, well... that's tough.

it's OK, if your face fits

Principal Consultant (Current Employee) Birmingham, England

ProsProducts are mostly pretty good
    Plenty of chance to work with new stuff
    Brand has kudos
    Variety of challenge
    If you find your niche & your contribution is valued, it can be rewarding & satisfying

ConsShort-term management focus on this quarter's numbers
    Consulting division is not led well
    Pay is not that great
    Internal processes are over-complex & best ignored
    Half-hearted approach to employee appraisal & development
    Managers at all levels have their little favourites who can do no wrong - very political organisation
    Some customers, and most SIs, hate us but can't escape
    It's really no fun at all if you're locked into a long-term project with a disgruntled customer and a semi-competent manager who's struggling to deliver. But that would be true in most places, I guess.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom a product/technology perspective - just keep on doing what you're doing, it works
    From a consulting perspective - just get your head round the idea that you only exist to make the product look good - it's not a real consulting business, so stop pretending

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work if you can create a niche valued by the company and customers alike but inflation erodes your pay.

Principal Consultant (Current Employee) Reading, England

ProsGreat products and a continually evolving product portfolio so you get the chance to be at the edge of technology developments and trends. You have the opportunity to make your mark but you need to be highly motivated and capable to get there and remain.

ConsEver increasing inward focus on who is doing what and why. Self-service applies to everything so you need to sort out any issues yourself such as pc problems, career development etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry the secret boss approach to actually understand various roles across the business, as too often lack of perspective impedes delivery. Also, sort out the pay issue as cumulative inflation over the last decade equates to a 29% erosion in pay value.

Good place to work

Consultant (Former Employee) London, England

ProsExposure to best financial clients. Opportunity to proove

ConsFocused for Financial clients only

Great Opportunities ... if you network

Product Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsWorking with inspirational and intelligent people.
    Actively creating and launching new products
    Unlimited training
    Flexible working

ConsPay. Anything from 25% - 150% lower than competitors.
    Incremental payrises
    The best technical staff always poached by customers

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees at a rate
    Compensate for travel and work out of hours.

Non existent XLOB, poor management. Personal bullying, lies and attacks.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat software, great monacle for the CV

ConsPricing and SMB markets don't work. License sales team are rude, immature and incompitent. Reminds me of IBM 20 years ago. Too many aquistiions by Oracle. Left hand does not know what right is doing. US Snr VP and VP level not aware of markets other than the US or don't care. Quarterly game changing hires and fires, whoole depatments laid off for perceived cost savings or to raise share prices for managements pockets.Remuneration is poor I gained another £40,000 on my base by choosing to leave Oracle !

Advice to Senior ManagementAppoint more global hires in Snr VP US based roles, respect your staff more, spend more time on QUALITY inductions and communications rather than the 5 day rubbish programme held in Red Wood. Get XLOB working better together and shake up software sales esp SMB as the UK SMB team has poor quality management and team members

Consulting Sales

Oracle Consulting Sales (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat exposure at most senior level.
    Involved in Projects at heart of businesses.

ConsProcess driven, influencing the sale is complex.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify ability to get things done.

Pleasant

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Reading, England

ProsLearnt a lot, developed professionally and made many connections to people who have proved invaluable to know in later career.

ConsDisconnected senior management, particularly with communication to on-site consultants.
    Bias towards office based staff.

OK

Senior Principal Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) London, England

Pros* Work at home whenever you want pretty much
    * Flexible hours within reason if your boss is good
    * Overtime available on agreement
    * Good flexible benefits package in UK. Points-based system, you get X amount of bonus points and decide how to distribute them for example if you want more holidays, or more pension, or better health care package. You get to change your allocations annually.
    * For the tech-minded, access to entire safari books online catalog, and some internal training courses. Some training and certifications available
    * Keep your head down and the years could fly by peacefully

Cons* Everythings got a lengthy complex process or policy somewhere. If your boss is a stickler this could be pretty bad.
     * Company seems to have a hard-on for quasi-military acronyms, they're everywhere
     * A lot of engineer work is monitored and reviewed monthly, in pursuit of "customer satisfaction"
     * Customers have a lot of power to jerk the system around, escalated and 24x7 issues can tie up engineers with red tape, and there is no compulsion for customers to get trained or display basic competency, luckily most do
     * Internal support portals and tools are slow and unwieldy, and appear designed by committee
     * Don't expect rapid advancement or a bonus unless you switch to sales
     * Keep your head down and the years could fly by peacefully

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!