Oracle

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

(2,823 ratings)

4,791 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good"
    in 597 reviews
  • "Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times"
    in 333 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth"
    in 82 reviews
  • "Employee satisfaction, career growth etc are the least important thing at Oracle"
    in 117 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Positive, can do organisation

I have been working at Oracle full-time

ProsLoads of investment, great deal support, I have very hands on management - as far as supporting my efforts is concerned, not micro management

ConsNone so far, but early days. Be back in 6 months for an update. Bearing in mind nowhere is perfect

Very flexible, great benefits, interesting work

Master Principal Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat place to work, especially if you need some flexibility. Good benefits and motivated people. Innovative products that deliver real value to customers. You are in charge of your own career and there are lots of opportunities to move around and try different things

ConsConstantly changing products, spread out teams make building team spirit hard

Great Company, Great products

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood people to work with including many of the acquisitions that Oracle has made over the last number of years.

ConsAs a long term employee, my view is that there really aren't many otherwise I would have moved a long time ago.

Not as dynamic! Good for work/life balance

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Reading, England

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible working is the number 1 reason
Pay is good for the market
Nice facilities at TVP
Global exposure
Good brand name though they are not leaders by any means

ConsIf you don't have a direct team on site, there's nothing in the way of work social gatherings
Few challenges in my job, to be the point of boring
Oracle is really tight on financials.. Means there is no Xmas party, absolutely nothing in the way of oracle sponsored team events. No salary hike for last 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter career prospects.

Oracle Hardware Engineer

Oracle Hardware Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood perks, can purchase holidays..

ConsBeing the only onsite engineer you are somewhat left to your own devices with very little support to further yourself in the company…

Managers won't give bonuses

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage more

Great Employee but don't expect a clear career path!

Solution Director, Engineered Systems (Current Employee)
Solihull, England

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- Great learning opportunities.
- Full range of Oracle technology (Applications to Disk) to get your teeth stuck into
- Good work/life balance.
- A wealth of internal resources with a heavy emphasis on knowledge sharing and networking
- Great Flexible Benefits systems for all employees
- Office location all over the UK, but in reality it Reading and the City office (Moorgate) that you need to be at.

Cons- Promotions and salary increments are a very slow in coming. (its been 7 years and I not had a single increase in wages).
- Oracle Struggles when its comes to career progression. You got to make it happen yourself, don't expect Oracle to guide you.
- To many account manager trying to sell a solution to a single customer (Oracle Bus syndrome)
- Typical Sales organisation so some people are only out to help themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to start paying people the going rate and lowering the obstacles to promotion

Solid place to work.

Legal Counsel (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits; good work flexibility

ConsLarge corporation so difficult to influence

Advice to Senior ManagementMore obvious route to promotion/career development

A sterile M & A machine which could do so much better if it sorted out the management layers!

Senior Director (Current Employee)
Reading, England

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible working policy
Work Life Balance (which is good because management are not on top of managing people, not because its a conscious policy)
Some good products (and some really bad ones)

ConsAlmost zero empowerment, even at VP level. Being able to think for yourself and own decisions are not required at Oracle.
Some dubious role models at the highest levels reminiscent of ageing rocks stars

Advice to Senior ManagementRegroup! This could be a force to be reckoned with but its not a well run business and therefore opportunities are missed every day. Bring in some fresh blood at board level.

Interesting work let down by stagnating salaries and a heavily process oriented bureaucracy.

Pre-Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexible working locations. Generally good office conditions for these days. Some excellent colleagues. Fringe benefits are pretty good. Potential for interesting work.

ConsSalaries have not moved by one penny in 8 years. You are supposed to benefit from commission as a pre-sales person, but this is steadily declining. Very rigid process driven company with pointless administration. No human touch left. Fear culture in the management chain and many of those managers are weak. Don't expect much appreciation for your hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff, take their cases to senior management and hold your ground. You are losing talented people. Push back on the pointless bureaucracy. Motivate positively. Manage your people, promote their talent, get out from behind your desks and see your staff in action. You will be surprised how good they can be.

Great people, always plenty of opportunities.

Consulting Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people, the breadth of work, interesting.

ConsLots of policies and procedures that don't always make sense.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut down on the red tape and free the staff up to create wealth for the company.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oracle reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Oracle CEO Larry Ellison. All 4,791 reviews are posted anonymously by Oracle employees.