Oracle Reviews

5,730 Reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison
Larry Ellison
3,316 Ratings

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 793 reviews)

• Great work from home options; Good front-line managers who support their staff (in 358 reviews)

Cons
  • No flexibility for work/life balance--no telecommuting or working from home one day (in 110 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 145 reviews)

More Highlights

This is a good place to work. I used to be an employee of Sun Microsystems, but Oracle bought Sun.

Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer  in  Linlithgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Linlithgow, Scotland

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Oracle is a great employer, that carefully looks after its employees.

Cons

It's a big company and sometimes results in things not moving fast enough.

None

Overall, a good company to work for

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I find the products I'm working on exciting. It's great to be working with products that are changing how we work and live.
    I work with some terrific, brilliant people, and that's one of the biggest pluses for me. The work can be challenging but the whole atmosphere is of wanting to do well.
    Oracle has a culture of trusting that people get on with their work, which suits me. I came from a clock watching environment and the way the company treats us as responsible people who don't need to be checked up on all the time was very refreshing.
    Great benefits package. You can use points to buy the benefits you want, whether that is health cover, dental plan, car leasing, or extra holiday. Or not spend the points and take it as extra money each month.
    There are opportunities for training and development. These are pointed out frequently, but it's up to you to work with your manager to work out a development plan.
    The management is supportive.

Cons

Very infrequent salary increases. I've only had a couple since starting to work here although the initial salary was good.
    There used to be bonuses but not any more.
    I actually can't think of many things to put in this section. Frankly, I would like more money each month, and recognition of what I do that isn't just a new job title but includes a bonus or something that could go towards an appropriate celebration.

I think you should consider salary reviews that has more scope for an increase every couple of years.

Not satisfying jobNot satisfying jobNot satisfying jobNot satisfying jobNot satisfying jobNot satisfying job

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance is good. In fact that's the only thing that can bind you here.
    Other thing can be brand name.

Cons

No increment, no bonus. no job satisfaction.
    no challenges in work.
    As a developer it sometimes feel like we are working less and reworking more. All credit to processes.

Think about Employee satisfaction. At least give some nominal increment every yr to match inflation atleast

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Self Service.....................................you on your own

Current Employee - Director  in  Reading, England
    Current Employee - Director in Reading, England

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people, varied work. Flexible work locations

Cons

Very little recognition for efforts. Too political & process driven which slows everything down. New ideas and new ways of working need input from half the world.

Dispense with the zero value adds, that take so much time.

Interesting and rewarding for a short while. Poor management. Talking about the UK here.

Former Employee - Principal Sales Consultant  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Principal Sales Consultant in London, England

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Typically large corporation. Great benefits package related to base salary, flexible working. Some excellent people to work with on the ground and interestingly wide range of products to work with. I was there for more than 20 years and the first 10 were very good fun but, to be honest, you'd be hard pressed to make a technical career in the UK and local middle management isn't initiative based. Being a self starter is important.

Don't stay too long. It won't be rewarding unless you fancy working through the automaton management journey.

Cons

Typically large corporation. No pay rises at all for 8+ years. Terrible processes and process oriented style of management. No local or middle management flexibility and initiative allowed. Most management seem to be in dread/fear of those above and those at the top are autocratic with a whiff of bullying. The uncompromising, hard-line, fear driven management style emanates from the top of the whole corporation.

The company eschew a set of good values that are 180 degrees at odds with their practice. Sales teams largely work against each other internally so the customer sees a conflicted organisation, and some take good advantage of that. Others are stiffed.

The occupational health team have a huge case load of stress related illness to deal with. That sort of indicates what it can be like to work here. Best to take a "don't care" attitude because if you do care about products, customers, fairness, pay, promotion and so on, you'll become another file on the health team's desk.

Middle management needs to stand up to the obviously deficient approaches taken by local and European senior management and their management policies and practices. They need to grab back local autonomy and decision making about local issues to retain local talent and improve customer relations.

They could also do with a UK senior management team that fairly governs the different sales teams and has true accountability across all areas/products to clip the internal sales competition that works against the success of the company and their customers.

That includes dealing with the issue of pay. People will walk away and they certainly are - to the benefit of their competitors. Profitability by internal cost cutting can only disguise weakening sales growth for so long.

Interesting, challenging, always busy & overloaded with limited pay

Current Employee - Support Manager
    Current Employee - Support Manager

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

job is challenging, lucky to have competent management, always need to learn, nice offices

Cons

limited in-class trainings, lost in a virtual team, company not investing in people, no hope for raises & such, global processes designed without proper & deep insight

compensation for non-sales organisations are always limited, invest more in people, design policy & procedures for people

Worst job ever

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

nice people (apart from management, where there is a culture of bullying, belittling, macho aggressive behaviour encouraged by the VP to all his management chain

Cons

No training, No company values at all in fact no ethics - management has a bullying style, which is encouraged, very aggressive behaviour and distrust

From VP, to Sales Director to Sales Management - change your style, stop encouraging bullying, recognise your team HATE you and HATE their jobs.

Good Tech Company with typical large company issues

Current Employee - Technical Architect  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Technical Architect in London, England

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great technology, lots of nice people, good work life balance
    Excellent Benefits (vacations, pension etc)

Cons

top down management
    no payrises
    large organization moves slowly

Value the people who have!

Dispite official claims, Oracle frustrates employees' development and recognitions

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Low salaries but you can avoid hard work and responsibilities

Cons

no real career path, no salary review.

fire the current managers

Great flexibility, poor incentives.

Current Employee - Applications Developer  in  Reading, England
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Reading, England

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great flexibility with ability to work from home and even in other countries. Very relaxed work environment mostly.

Cons

From my experience and everyone I have spoken to - it is almost impossible to get decent raises or bonuses without leaving or changing team. Can be very frustrating seeing employees doing very little and getting paid more when you are working hard and producing work getting rave reviews with little rewards.

Look into providing more incentives for employees based on performance/hard work, otherwise people will continue to leave.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!