Oracle Reviews

5,885 Reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison
Larry Ellison
3,388 Ratings

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 833 reviews)

• Great work from home options; Good front-line managers who support their staff (in 371 reviews)

Cons
  • No flexibility for work/life balance--no telecommuting or working from home one day (in 111 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic

Current Employee - Applications Sales Representative in London, England
    Current Employee - Applications Sales Representative in London, England

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a great place to work with a very collaborative culture. Basic salary is great and commission is absolutely brilliant. Typically you can expect to earn between 3 and 6% commission on your sales and the company is very supportive of helping you to maximise your earnings. I feel very lucky to have been offered a job here as my level of experience was significantly less than the 7 years that they had requested, however I did have very specific sales experience in areas of technology that were strategic to the direction of Oracle (SaaS).

Cons

Internal politics can be a bit of a drag sometimes, with competing interests from different lines of business. It has not been my experience but it has been that of some of my colleagues that it can be difficult to secure a pay-increase; to the extent that you are better off leaving (or at least acquiring a job offer from a competitor) and then returning in order to increase your basic salary.

I would suggest addressing the perceived difficulty in increasing salary but actually I really enjoy working here and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone! Keep it up!

Take the full advantage of being at Oracle

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Oracle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- great benefits
    - the salaries seem to be high (i came from acquisition so mine hasn't changed but those who apply for Oracle directly are paid well).
    - great work/life balance - working from home or any office you choose
    - the product portfolio is huge and you have the benefit of exploring and learning more and more - you can approach any team and they will be happy to teach you more about their offerings
    - trips to good locations for training or conferences
    - Oracle has a lot of 'free bees' to offer which are not openly advertised - you will not get these unless you ask!
    - people are high caliber and very professional

Cons

- too much admin which delays the sales cycle and makes people quit their jobs, bring satisfaction levels down. Instead of letting professionals do what they do best Oracle makes you spend 40% of your time on admin
    - reading the rest of the reviews it seems that pay rise and promotions never happen.
    - no accelerator on commission if you perform well

Your employees are top quality and you should respect this. Unless you keep making them happy and appreciate their work they will go somewhere else (at least if based in Europe). Don't ignore the fact that living costs are increasing rapidly every year, invest in your people and give them pay rises to reflect the increasing costs of living. Oracle employees are by nature competitive and they know they are good at what they do - encourage progression, work with them on career development plans. If an ambitious person cannot see room from career progression then they will leave you!

Support Sales

I have been working at Oracle full-time

Pros

excellent work environment
    friendly atmosphere
    training and certifications

Cons

no salary increase
    budget constrains
    unjustified management decisions

Great

Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Less work pressure, no time restrictions, Work Life balance is good,

Work from home option

Commuting - cabs provided

Cons

Promotions and compensation is not good

Good technology Company

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good atmosphere to work with flexible timings, good peers

Cons

Once you join hike will not be that great

Typical high tech American company

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Reading, England
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Reading, England

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They offer some good opportunities to learn, and there are some great people. The office location and environment really worked for me.

Cons

The sales organization can be very political, ruthless, cutthroat, and backstabbing. If you're lucky you might get a good territory and quota, but typically you're competing against other Oracle salespeople for IT budget.

Focus on retaining and developing quality employees and create better incentives for collaboration.

Review

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Overall good place to work for

Cons

Salary is not on par with market

Good employer, but does not encourage innovation

Former Employee - Hardware Support Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Hardware Support Engineer in London, England

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, conditions and perks were good, but I did not have a payrise greater than cost of living increase for several years - but I think that was industry-wide. I was doing world-wide hardware support of equipment which looked much the same on my PC console at home as it would have looked if I had gone on site and plugged my PC into it, so I was allowed to work from home on a permanent basis.

Cons

Like in all big organisations, employees do not work with a feeling of security, and I felt very lucky to survive several rounds of redundancies, often of high quality engineers.

My hobby is computer programming - though it was never part of my job spec. I wrote a program (completely during my own time) that analysed the maintenance log from the equipment I worked on at Oracle, and it became used by several hundred support and field engineers world-wide. It was even used by the OEM. A survey showed that the time saved was cumulatively the equivalent time of approximately 10 engineers, so it had saved the company at least a couple of million dollars over several years, but when I approached them for some financial recognition for the approximately 2,300 hours that I had spent in writing it, they rejected my request. I had suggested that I would find the gift of my aging company car to be very acceptable (worth approx £4,000 at that time). They had not asked me to write the program, so I was in no position to make demands, but when I suggested that, being as they didn't want the program, I might be able to sell it independently, they said I could not do so, because it belonged to them!! Well, they didn't have the source code, and until I had approached them the program was unknown to management - and besides, it was a product of my time, and my hobby - not a product of any obligation to the company, so I did not agree that it belonged to them. Quite the contrary, in fact

When, after much effort to find them, I eventually spoke to the company's legal team, I was advised that I should engage a lawyer. There followed a minor legal argument, and Oracle hired a London law firm to fight their corner. I believe that if it had gone to court, I might have won the case, but as it would have been little ol' me against the company's London law firm, I might very well have lost, and then they could have claimed court costs, and all my efforts in writing the software could have culminated in a heavy loss for me. Faced with this possibility, against the probability that even if I won the case, I would not, in fact, be able to sell the program, I backed down, but it certainly left a bitter taste In the mouth. My feeling was one of being bullied and belittled, when my efforts should really have been a feather in my cap.

My one bitter-sweet satisfaction is that I was later told that they had paid their law firm more than I had asked for, so the furore had still cost them something! A case of saving money at any expense.

I don't know if this matter ever reached the board, but I found the managers I dealt with to be mean, unsympathetic and uncaring in their attitude. Following this episode, I no longer worked the overtime that had been a regular feature of my work, and I completely lost any feeling of loyalty towards them. Two other people I spoke to who were developing software for use in their work abandoned their endeavours.

As I have now left the company, I can not pass any opinion on current culture or future prospects. I do not expect their attitude to employees to have changed, so my advice to any would-be employee is to toe the company line. Do what you're told, but don't bother thinking outside of the box. Any effort "above and beyond" will not be rewarded.
    Remember - you are not "personnel" - you are a Human Resource!

When faced with the alternative of making the company appear to its workforce like a fair employer that rewards effort vs. a hard ball playing money Scrooge (while spending millions in the America's Cup yacht race), consider the benefits of having employees who feel happy at work, and who really want to work for you.

Not satisfying jobNot satisfying jobNot satisfying jobNot satisfying jobNot satisfying jobNot satisfying job

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good. In fact that's the only thing that can bind you here.
    Other thing can be brand name.

Cons

No increment, no bonus. no job satisfaction.
    no challenges in work.
    As a developer it sometimes feel like we are working less and reworking more. All credit to processes.

Think about Employee satisfaction. At least give some nominal increment every yr to match inflation atleast

This is a good place to work. I used to be an employee of Sun Microsystems, but Oracle bought Sun.

Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Linlithgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Linlithgow, Scotland

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Oracle is a great employer, that carefully looks after its employees.

Cons

It's a big company and sometimes results in things not moving fast enough.

None