Oracle

6,171 Reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison
Larry Ellison
3,518 Ratings

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 870 reviews)

• Great work from home options; Good front-line managers who support their staff (in 379 reviews)

Cons
  • No flexibility for work/life balance--no telecommuting or working from home one day (in 119 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 154 reviews)

More Highlights

Great product knowledge and expertise, poor salaries and career improvements

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Reading, England
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Reading, England

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Product Knowledge and Technical Expertise. Big name in the IT Industry. Great reputation.

Cons

Salaries are lower than everywhere else. Rare salary increases and promotions. Impossible to make career to managerial level starting from Consultant level.

Great Products and Brand...... a lot more not so great

Former Employee - Principal Sales Consultant in Reading, England
    Former Employee - Principal Sales Consultant in Reading, England

I worked at Oracle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Brand, Products, Opens doors, Benefit system

Cons

The ability to WFH and flexible office locations/hotdesks - great in small doses but when everyone of your team chooses to WFH 90% of the time and don't really have a local office you do not have a team! I could easily go 2 weeks+ of heading into the Head office in TVP and I would not once see another member of my team while I was supposed to be onboarded.

Work Life Balance - This I feel would be rated highly on some peoples reviews due to the WFH option and flexible hours.... however it causes so many issues when everyone does this as no one works to the same schedule, so emails are sent 24/7 and you therefore really do not have a life as you are constantly getting asked questions and required to jump on something 24/7, you cannot just down tools and forget about work even at the weekends.

Communication - all done electronically and when you do get some face time everyone is far to busy to give you the time of day. diary's are not shared due to the god awful email client they use

Self Service to the extreme - do not expect anything to be done the "old fashioned" way of talking with someone everything is electronic and you are expected to know who to contact and where it is on their vast intranet/s (they have several)

Onboarding - non existent 2 weeks of face time with colleagues in 3 months is not acceptable for a new starter, just give you a bunch of links and away you go. You are expected to make all of the meetings happen and onboard yourself without any guidance from management.

Ruthless - will do ANYTHING to get a sale and very clique old boys club

Promotion/Comp increase - from what I heard within the business not one of my team were promoted in 5 years and rises are 5% IF you get a promotion to the next grade.

Demographic - Full of oracle veterans that have been with the company for 5 years+ which is why there is such little change in what they do today compared to 10 years ago

Great.

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Flexibility, you can pretty much choose the hours and location to work..

Cons

Lots of beurocratic and red tape processes

none

Good Experience, Supportive on training, Low Pay

Current Employee - Project Manager in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Reading, England

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some great people that work here and those involved in projects give their all. You get great support in training for your role too. Good benefits (medical, holidays, pension etc) and possibility for flexible working hours too.

Cons

Managers have a tendency to micro-manage
    Hard-impossible to move or get promoted within departments / divisions
    Poor Salary - pay well below industry standard and rarely do they give pay rises
    You can ask to be involved in initiatives but unless you are a favourite of the management, it's rare you get the opportunity.

Give more opportunities to get involved in projects outside your own division or department. Try to encourage all members to get involved in initiatives within the department, not just the favoured few.

Dumb Management

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Good ethics
    Work life balance

Cons

No technical capability
    Leading the team without experience
    Just chilled behavior in work
    The people who want to work dont come to this company
    No hikes for years
    No Objectives in the management. Just continuing as it is.
    Lake of fresh blood in the management

Required innovation team/channel
    Need to track manager performance

Oracle makes big profits but none goes to employees

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Still good package, compared to the industry average

Cons

No salary review, a lot of burocracy, no motivation for individual contributors, acts as amonopolist in the market, follows innovators.

Explain your strategy and listen to people in the field.

Support Sales

I have been working at Oracle full-time

Pros

excellent work environment
    friendly atmosphere
    training and certifications

Cons

no salary increase
    budget constrains
    unjustified management decisions

Fantastic

Current Employee - Applications Sales Representative in London, England
    Current Employee - Applications Sales Representative in London, England

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a great place to work with a very collaborative culture. Basic salary is great and commission is absolutely brilliant. Typically you can expect to earn between 3 and 6% commission on your sales and the company is very supportive of helping you to maximise your earnings. I feel very lucky to have been offered a job here as my level of experience was significantly less than the 7 years that they had requested, however I did have very specific sales experience in areas of technology that were strategic to the direction of Oracle (SaaS).

Cons

Internal politics can be a bit of a drag sometimes, with competing interests from different lines of business. It has not been my experience but it has been that of some of my colleagues that it can be difficult to secure a pay-increase; to the extent that you are better off leaving (or at least acquiring a job offer from a competitor) and then returning in order to increase your basic salary.

I would suggest addressing the perceived difficulty in increasing salary but actually I really enjoy working here and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone! Keep it up!

Take the full advantage of being at Oracle

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Oracle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- great benefits
    - the salaries seem to be high (i came from acquisition so mine hasn't changed but those who apply for Oracle directly are paid well).
    - great work/life balance - working from home or any office you choose
    - the product portfolio is huge and you have the benefit of exploring and learning more and more - you can approach any team and they will be happy to teach you more about their offerings
    - trips to good locations for training or conferences
    - Oracle has a lot of 'free bees' to offer which are not openly advertised - you will not get these unless you ask!
    - people are high caliber and very professional

Cons

- too much admin which delays the sales cycle and makes people quit their jobs, bring satisfaction levels down. Instead of letting professionals do what they do best Oracle makes you spend 40% of your time on admin
    - reading the rest of the reviews it seems that pay rise and promotions never happen.
    - no accelerator on commission if you perform well

Your employees are top quality and you should respect this. Unless you keep making them happy and appreciate their work they will go somewhere else (at least if based in Europe). Don't ignore the fact that living costs are increasing rapidly every year, invest in your people and give them pay rises to reflect the increasing costs of living. Oracle employees are by nature competitive and they know they are good at what they do - encourage progression, work with them on career development plans. If an ambitious person cannot see room from career progression then they will leave you!

Great

Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Less work pressure, no time restrictions, Work Life balance is good,

Work from home option

Commuting - cabs provided

Cons

Promotions and compensation is not good