Oracle

5,492 Reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison
Larry Ellison
3,206 Ratings

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 721 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times (in 329 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth (in 97 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 137 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic so far. Great colleagues, loads of training, cool technology.

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant  in  Reading, England
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Reading, England

Pros

Working with bright, enthusiastic people
    Gorgeous offices in Reading and London
    Professional approach
    Loads and loads of training.
    Cool technology.

I've been here almost a year and so far it's simply one of the best companies I've worked for. Oracle is a very big place, and your experience will very much depend on your direct line manager and their manager. Luckily enough my direct manager is excellent, and his manager (responsible for Europe) is also a superstar. There's a lot of passion for what we do, the developers are great (and really helpful if you need a bit of custom work doing to prep for a demonstration). Investment is being ploughed into the product and further acquisitions are being integrated at a massive rate of knots. A huge amount of training is available to you, including cross-product training if you can charm your manager into agreeing it!

Work/life balance - I work from home or on site most of the time but I speak to my manager nearly every day by phone. I go into the office about once a week, and feel just as welcomed as the desk jockeys! The restaurant is great - food is delicious, but it's not particularly cheap. Lots of people bring lunch in anyway so it's up to you.

Teamwork: Oracle is very big on teamwork. And that generally means working with people who you may have only just met (or not even met yet via phone/web), often on big deals, and often internationally. I'm regularly amazed and grateful for how helpful people are. Recently a colleague needed help on a very short notice, high-value deal. Our whole team dropped everything else and for 48 hours we all worked on it. So, a real sense of teamwork. It is absolutely vital to build your own personal network of friends and allies across different areas of the business as it makes finding your way around/getting extra resources loads easier.

Career opportunities: Honestly, it's too soon for me to tell, really as I haven't had my first appraisal yet. But I will say there are stacks of training courses for all sorts of things (not just products but business skills etc) so on that basis I'm going to say pretty good so far.

Benefits: Super flexible. You are allocated a certain number of points, and you can basically spend the points on whatever is best for you. Extra holidays (up to 43 days!), health insurance, dental cover, childcare, critical illness insurance, a fancy car, there are lots of options. Pension scheme is generous. Reasonably good car leasing scheme - or you can just go and purchase your own car and any unspent benefit points are paid out as cash instead so it sort of functions as a car allowance.
    Also, Oracle pays for a concierge service, lots and lots of corporate discounts for all sorts of goods/services, and you can drop your dry cleaning off in any of the main buildings in Reading and a company will clean and return it. Not free, but very reasonably priced. If I was office based I'd probably use it.

Transport: Free bus service running between Thames Valley Park and Reading town centre which is very handy, especially for the train station. Loads of car parking at the main Oracle campus.

Expenses: If you submit a claim on Monday (assuming your manager approves it quickly) you could well have the cash in your bank account by Thursday. This is the fastest of any company I've ever worked for, and I appreciate it a lot - working in the field for Oracle means running up a substantial expense bill, and they pay each claim individually rather than making you wait for it to appear in payroll, so you can claim every week if you want. Very cool.

Cons

It's a very, very big company. It's mainly up to you to find your own niche, and the self service automated admin, HR and IT processes can really grind you down. It's my single big moan - got a problem with your payroll calculation, the team is in Dublin/Romania etc. Onboarding is painful because of this (although of course you have great colleagues to help you out), there is sooo much admin to get done at first. Once you're through this stage though, it just becomes one of those things you have to deal with occasionally.

Heavy responsibility - you need to be self-driven here. Oracle trusts you to get on and be awesome, which is great because they don't breathe down your neck, but on the other hand it can be a bit daunting. However the culture here is that you just ask for help if you need it, and people will absolutely get involved and add their strength to yours. Oracle often has big teams on deals which could be up to 10 or more people across different areas of the organisation and internationally, regularly a deal team is 4-6 people. You just have to get over it - mostly the people here *are* awesome and they don't let geographical and/or business division separation stand in the way too much. You will spend a lot of your life on conference calls, unfortunately. If you speak any extra languages I imagine that could win you a LOT of friends :)

Communication - there is so much of it in the form of corporate emails, newsletters, Town Hall meetings, 'event days' etc., that eventually you begin to tune it out, which is a shame. But there's a point where you learn what you can and can't ignore, mostly. Apparently we even have a TV studio lurking somewhere on the premises but I have no idea where or what it's for...!

Overall, though, these are not massive issues. They're probably not avoidable in such a large organisation, and are very much surmountable.

If you like to operate as a lone wolf, if you like tons of flexibility and don't like adhering to a job description, you probably won't enjoy it here. People are very much cogs in the machine, but quite honestly it's a lot of fun being a cog in this machine.

You're doing it right. Thanks.

Recruitment

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Reading, England
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Reading, England

Pros

. Great brand - very grown up attitude, enjoying my time here and look forward to going to work every day/

Cons

It can be very slow process to get anyone on board, very much American lead and quarterly driven

You are insignificant get back to work

Current Employee - Identity Products Support Engineer  in  Reading, England
    Current Employee - Identity Products Support Engineer in Reading, England

Pros

Benefits are worth having, not as good as Sun's used to be but still good.

Cons

Employee contribution is not valued at all. In fact my manager was told feedback was not part of his job and to just get on with it. Training was appalling, remote webex with an engineer who had scanned hand written diagrams into his presentation.
    Customers are important up until the point they buy the product, aftercare is minimal which leads to poor morale in support teams.

Employees want to feel proud to work for their employer and that they lead the field by their example. Employee morale is shocking and this boils down to a shut up and get on with it mentality from on high. The same approach is taken with customer care, the company banks on it's huge size and legacy reputation as the answer to everything.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No paid overtime, no promotions, loads of travel, good team.

Current Employee - Principal Consultant  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England

Pros

Good team spirit and team work.

Cons

No promotions, No Overtime paid, no "Tanks"

Foster your employees.

very good company

Pros

very good place to learn new things

Cons

there are many paper works to do

Sales

Pros

- Loads of products - most reasonably good

Cons

- Too administrative
    - Lack of personal interaction: absolutely everything dealt with through an online portal
    - Little salary improvement
    - Political environment

Great if you make it work for you..

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

Very autonomous
    Lots of diverse opportuntities for the pro-active

Cons

Awful pay and promotion progression
    Too impersonal/

Used to be a good place to work.

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Reading, England
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Reading, England

Pros

Work flexibility is great
    Training

Cons

Remuneration getting worse each year
    Mature company so opportunities for career advancement is low

Too many work processes are either poorly defined or do not make sense

Very focussed on Squeezing out the dollars - mostly at your expense

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer

Pros

Ok work life balance as there is a large Engineer population (for now)

Cons

-No career path
    -Great work not really recognised
    -Internal competition for your job from lower cost countries (due to their global reach/capabilities)
    -Rapid reduction in your value whilst overloading you with requirements without effective training
    -Culture of aggressive cost cutting but without real consideration of it's impacts on staff

-Culture based on fear and compliance
    -Lack of interdepartmental co-operation (competitive)
    -High manager to staff ratio
    -Culture of "Superiority" of Original Oracle Staff vs acquired Oracle Companies
    -You have to know about something to be able to ask about it. If you didn't, well... that's tough.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Consultant  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

Pros

Exposure to best financial clients. Opportunity to proove

Cons

Focused for Financial clients only

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!