Oracle Reviews

6951 reviews filtered by

Typical high tech American company

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Reading, England
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Reading, England

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer some good opportunities to learn, and there are some great people. The office location and environment really worked for me.

Cons

The sales organization can be very political, ruthless, cutthroat, and backstabbing. If you're lucky you might get a good territory and quota, but typically you're competing against other Oracle salespeople for IT budget.

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining and developing quality employees and create better incentives for collaboration.

2. Good technology Company

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good atmosphere to work with flexible timings, good peers

Cons

Once you join hike will not be that great

3. Great

Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Less work pressure, no time restrictions, Work Life balance is good,

Work from home option

Commuting - cabs provided

Cons

Promotions and compensation is not good

Good employer, but does not encourage innovation

Former Employee - Hardware Support Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Hardware Support Engineer in London, England

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, conditions and perks were good, but I did not have a payrise greater than cost of living increase for several years - but I think that was industry-wide. I was doing world-wide hardware support of equipment which looked much the same on my PC console at home as it would have looked if I had gone on site and plugged my PC into it, so I was allowed to work from home on a permanent basis.

Cons

Like in all big organisations, employees do not work with a feeling of security, and I felt very lucky to survive several rounds of redundancies, often of high quality engineers.

My hobby is computer programming - though it was never part of my job spec. I wrote a program (completely during my own time) that analysed the maintenance log from the equipment I worked on at Oracle, and it became used by several hundred support and field engineers world-wide. It was even used by the OEM. A survey showed that the time saved was cumulatively the equivalent time of approximately 10 engineers, so it had saved the company at least a couple of million dollars over several years, but when I approached them for some financial recognition for the approximately 2,300 hours that I had spent in writing it, they rejected my request. I had suggested that I would find the gift of my aging company car to be very acceptable (worth approx £4,000 at that time). They had not asked me to write the program, so I was in no position to make demands, but when I suggested that, being as they didn't want the program, I might be able to sell it independently, they said I could not do so, because it belonged to them!! Well, they didn't have the source code, and until I had approached them the program was unknown to management - and besides, it was a product of my time, and my hobby - not a product of any obligation to the company, so I did not agree that it belonged to them. Quite the contrary, in fact

When, after much effort to find them, I eventually spoke to the company's legal team, I was advised that I should engage a lawyer. There followed a minor legal argument, and Oracle hired a London law firm to fight their corner. I believe that if it had gone to court, I might have won the case, but as it would have been little ol' me against the company's London law firm, I might very well have lost, and then they could have claimed court costs, and all my efforts in writing the software could have culminated in a heavy loss for me. Faced with this possibility, against the probability that even if I won the case, I would not, in fact, be able to sell the program, I backed down, but it certainly left a bitter taste In the mouth. My feeling was one of being bullied and belittled, when my efforts should really have been a feather in my cap.

My one bitter-sweet satisfaction is that I was later told that they had paid their law firm more than I had asked for, so the furore had still cost them something! A case of saving money at any expense.

I don't know if this matter ever reached the board, but I found the managers I dealt with to be mean, unsympathetic and uncaring in their attitude. Following this episode, I no longer worked the overtime that had been a regular feature of my work, and I completely lost any feeling of loyalty towards them. Two other people I spoke to who were developing software for use in their work abandoned their endeavours.

As I have now left the company, I can not pass any opinion on current culture or future prospects. I do not expect their attitude to employees to have changed, so my advice to any would-be employee is to toe the company line. Do what you're told, but don't bother thinking outside of the box. Any effort "above and beyond" will not be rewarded.
    Remember - you are not "personnel" - you are a Human Resource!

Advice to Management

When faced with the alternative of making the company appear to its workforce like a fair employer that rewards effort vs. a hard ball playing money Scrooge (while spending millions in the America's Cup yacht race), consider the benefits of having employees who feel happy at work, and who really want to work for you.

6. Review

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Overall good place to work for

Cons

Salary is not on par with market

Not satisfying jobNot satisfying jobNot satisfying jobNot satisfying jobNot satisfying jobNot satisfying job

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good. In fact that's the only thing that can bind you here.
    Other thing can be brand name.

Cons

No increment, no bonus. no job satisfaction.
    no challenges in work.
    As a developer it sometimes feel like we are working less and reworking more. All credit to processes.

Advice to Management

Think about Employee satisfaction. At least give some nominal increment every yr to match inflation atleast

Overall, a good company to work for

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I find the products I'm working on exciting. It's great to be working with products that are changing how we work and live.
    I work with some terrific, brilliant people, and that's one of the biggest pluses for me. The work can be challenging but the whole atmosphere is of wanting to do well.
    Oracle has a culture of trusting that people get on with their work, which suits me. I came from a clock watching environment and the way the company treats us as responsible people who don't need to be checked up on all the time was very refreshing.
    Great benefits package. You can use points to buy the benefits you want, whether that is health cover, dental plan, car leasing, or extra holiday. Or not spend the points and take it as extra money each month.
    There are opportunities for training and development. These are pointed out frequently, but it's up to you to work with your manager to work out a development plan.
    The management is supportive.

Cons

Very infrequent salary increases. I've only had a couple since starting to work here although the initial salary was good.
    There used to be bonuses but not any more.
    I actually can't think of many things to put in this section. Frankly, I would like more money each month, and recognition of what I do that isn't just a new job title but includes a bonus or something that could go towards an appropriate celebration.

Advice to Management

I think you should consider salary reviews that has more scope for an increase every couple of years.

This is a good place to work. I used to be an employee of Sun Microsystems, but Oracle bought Sun.

Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Linlithgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Linlithgow, Scotland

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Oracle is a great employer, that carefully looks after its employees.

Cons

It's a big company and sometimes results in things not moving fast enough.

Advice to Management

None

Self Service.....................................you on your own

Current Employee - Director in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Director in Reading, England

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, varied work. Flexible work locations

Cons

Very little recognition for efforts. Too political & process driven which slows everything down. New ideas and new ways of working need input from half the world.

Advice to Management

Dispense with the zero value adds, that take so much time.

Interesting and rewarding for a short while. Poor management. Talking about the UK here.

Former Employee - Principal Sales Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Principal Sales Consultant in London, England

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Typically large corporation. Great benefits package related to base salary, flexible working. Some excellent people to work with on the ground and interestingly wide range of products to work with. I was there for more than 20 years and the first 10 were very good fun but, to be honest, you'd be hard pressed to make a technical career in the UK and local middle management isn't initiative based. Being a self starter is important.

Don't stay too long. It won't be rewarding unless you fancy working through the automaton management journey.

Cons

Typically large corporation. No pay rises at all for 8+ years. Terrible processes and process oriented style of management. No local or middle management flexibility and initiative allowed. Most management seem to be in dread/fear of those above and those at the top are autocratic with a whiff of bullying. The uncompromising, hard-line, fear driven management style emanates from the top of the whole corporation.

The company eschew a set of good values that are 180 degrees at odds with their practice. Sales teams largely work against each other internally so the customer sees a conflicted organisation, and some take good advantage of that. Others are stiffed.

The occupational health team have a huge case load of stress related illness to deal with. That sort of indicates what it can be like to work here. Best to take a "don't care" attitude because if you do care about products, customers, fairness, pay, promotion and so on, you'll become another file on the health team's desk.

Advice to Management

Middle management needs to stand up to the obviously deficient approaches taken by local and European senior management and their management policies and practices. They need to grab back local autonomy and decision making about local issues to retain local talent and improve customer relations.

They could also do with a UK senior management team that fairly governs the different sales teams and has true accountability across all areas/products to clip the internal sales competition that works against the success of the company and their customers.

That includes dealing with the issue of pay. People will walk away and they certainly are - to the benefit of their competitors. Profitability by internal cost cutting can only disguise weakening sales growth for so long.