Oracle Reviews in San Francisco, CA

5,673 Reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison
Larry Ellison
3,286 Ratings

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 721 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times (in 329 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth (in 97 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 137 reviews)

More Highlights

759 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fast Paced, Young, Energetic Environment

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Good Salary for the Area
    - Young Work Environment
    - Amazing Training Program

Cons

- A lot of red tape and processes to get basic tasks done

Challenges (and rewards!) you everyday

Current Employee - Associate Sales Representative  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for less than a year

Pros

Love coming to work everyday with my peers/mentors. Team environment where you are ultimately in the driver's seat of your own career.

Cons

Difficult to navigate all of the internal processes- could be made easier but that's to expect with such a large company, right?

Focus on employee training and growth. I already think that Oracle does a great job at recognizing successful employees, but this could be another useful area to consider.

Enjoying my first months at Oracle

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for less than a year

Pros

So far my experience at Oracle has been good. The six week training program was world class and Oracle really invests a lot of time and money trying to make sure they prepare their employees for real work responsibilities. As a sales consultant there is a need to learn a lot of products and the product trainings with sales pitches afterwards really helped keep you on your toes and wanting to learn more and more about the product. Its a real self service company meaning that if you want to succeed you have to do what you can to make it, if you're comfortable with just doing the bare minimum then you can get by doing that but you will not move up in your career.

Cons

Since I just started my job, I have yet to find any cons associated with working here. A job is a job and I'm really thankful for having one.

So far so good, excited to be here and looking to excel my career at Oracle

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work, but hard to get into, and little salary growth

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits at Oracle are decent. Your job satisfaction will depend upon the group you are in. The hiring process is long and cumbersome, but once at Oracle, you have many opportunities for changing positions and groups. Your salary is however unlikely to keep up with the market.

Cons

This is a large company and it is hard at times to find out who is doing what. Incentives and compensation growth opportunities are depending upon the group in which you are. Some groups are well taken care of while others are not. It is important to be hired with the highest salary you can get. It is common for employees to get their salary readjusted upon being re-hired (after leaving the company for a few years).

There are no corporate-wide program for the retention of top talent. Managers are given a bonus pool for their entire team, and try to use this pool as best they can to reward top-performers. Very little people leadership with top executives. LJE is not a very inspirational person...

Could be a decent company depending on what your priorities are

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

In my team I have great work life balance. There are plenty of offices all around the country so you can work remotely from other offices if management approves. The engineering peers are very pleasant to deal with.

Cons

There are plenty of teams which have high stress jobs. You don't tend to find many young professionals here because of the extremely poor bonuses and hikes (sometimes zero irrespective of performance) once you are hired. Most people stay because they have been in Oracle for 10+ years and have gotten comfortable doing what they do. Hikes are not tied to promotion so I have been promoted thrice but my pay has kind of remained same in the past six years. Most new hires would be paid much higher than me now.

Every good young professional I personally knew in the last six years has left for other bay area companies. Only mediocre new hires or people who need a lot of flexibility tend to stay on at Oracle. Generously rewarding upper management year after year at the expense of engineers will leave you a company full of mediocre engineers who produce substandard products. You should not be surprised when organic innovation is terrible and M&A is the only way out. If you hire the best talent from top universities and then forget about them, the effort spent on hiring them is wasted.

Don't care about turnover

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you can get into a management level or higher, you probably will get paid a lot to do nothing. HQ has a nice gym.

Cons

They don't care about turnover, especially lower level employees. Every department is like a different company. Some departments are good and people like their group, most departments are bad.

Create job rotation and care about turnover.

Very Good & Very Bad

Current Employee - Applications Sales Representative  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great experience & exposure to fantastic people
    - You will learn a ton if you just try and get after it
    - Fantastic brand recognition and products
    - Great training, university reimbursement, etc.

This was my first professional job out of college. Overall, I loved my experience since you meet a ton of people in the Oracle system. The brand recognition of the company as well as Oracle having some very strong products.

In addition, my goal was to build a good foundation in Sales, and Oracle has some remarkable training and professionals in this space that really help you become a better leader.

Cons

- The time-consuming processes
    - The leadership & management team says they enjoy promoting within the company and developing their workforce, however I have only seen this happen maybe 10-15% of the time in reality especially for their Co-Prime positions. Thus, leaving most people to leave Oracle, and the company having to re-train and on-board more folks.
    - The goal alignment among the sales teams can be a ton better

- Align the goals of the various sales teams,
    - Develop and train your new hires and workforce
    - promote your workforce when appropriate

Senior Program Manager

Current Employee - Decline to State  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Decline to State in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Solid medical benefits are available at Oracle.

Cons

Average annual pay raise over 5 year ~0.2%;
    A solid high bonus is $1,000 (ie, 0.8%); bonuses are 'merit based' (ie, 20% of the group gets a annual bonus.)
    Massive amounts of work and new assignments undercut training.
    Overtime is neither rewards or acknowledged (1,000 hours on one project); 2 'thank yous' from management

Competitive market analysis on benefits would reveal significant deficiencies

Can be a 'human grinder' environment

Former Employee - Director  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Many smart people and provides an excellent pedigree for future employment beyond

Cons

New management coming in from HP are cutting many benefits and are primarily focused on HW/Sun

Cloud Cloud Cloud

Corporation with resources not people

Former Employee - Quality  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Quality in Redwood City, CA (US)

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent medical insurance, working from home allowed, good people, decent life-work balance

Cons

No long term direction, no bonuses or raises for years, no recognition of any kind.

Award people or at least recognize. They are not just replaceable resources

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!