Oshkosh Corporation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Oshkosh Corporation CEO Charles L. Szews

Charles L. Szews

Pros
  • Good pay for the area as a blue collar worker (in 4 reviews)

• I was fortunate to work with some great people at Oshkosh, and the pay was good for what I did as a temp (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No real internal career paths are defined, nor are dept moves encouraged within the company (in 3 reviews)

• Bad management practices and poor union support (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Contractor

FSR3 (Former Employee) Kabul (Afghanistan)

ProsThey really take care of you in the US and when it comes to training.

ConsSenior management is in it for themselves. Ruined good leadership in the field.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro managing FSR leadership and let them do their job.

Great leaders

IT Staff (Current Employee) Oshkosh, WI (US)

ProsIT Leaders are willing to help you get any thing accomplished.
    IT Technology has been improving over the last few years.
    IT goal well planned

ConsBudget constraints
    Work load more then national standard

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider ROI more

Not even Human Reources cares about it's employees!

Human Resources (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay. Decent benefits (after 30 day waiting period). Some opportunity to advance or move to a different segement.

ConsAs a former member of the HR department, I can tell you first hand that the company does not care about its employees. They want to hire as many people to get as much work done as efficiently as possible. You'll get hired, make a lot of money for a while and get let go the moment they don't need you. There is no such thing as work life balance with this company. If you don't want a life outside of work, you'll be fine. You'll make a lot of money but will never have the time to spend it. Management does not work on development of employees or consider employee engagement an issue. Workforce is not happy. Work environment is not enjoyable. Management picks favorites and throws money at them... if you're not on the favorite list, good luck!

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider your whole approach... your employees are not happy!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good environment, challenging work, needs more cohesion

ProsIn the IT side of Corporate, the environment is mostly positive. Most of the managers (from upper mid, to the front lines) try to involve employees in the decision making. A definite 'invest in getting it done' attitude. Pay isn't bad, and the benefits package is pretty good, and the offices can be crowded but extremely functional.

ConsThey need to ensure that 'getting it done' includes 'the right way' as some managers (especially in the segments) 'cheap out' and then complain it doesn't work. Senior management can a bit directionless with how hard to press forward with projects. The hours can get crazy because nobody wants any downtime, but that's not unusual for IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe might be ONE Oshkosh a little quicker if they'd pay a little more AND crack a few segment heads that don't want change.

This company is the devil incarnate!!!!!

Driver (Former Employee) Oshkosh, WI (US)

ProsThe money....but the bullcrap you have to put up with hardly makes it worth it.

ConsThere isn't enough room here to list all the ways they violate employees rights. A herd of cattle at a slaughter house are treated with more respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out while you can.

Work hard, no reward.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis was a Manufacturing company that employed a dedicated workforce. The employees do what it takes to get projects done. They have pride in their finished products.

ConsManagement style and executive team is ineffective. Often heard it referred to as the"old boys network." Expectation for salaried employees is to work a lot of hours without compensation or recognition. No employee development programs or career development paths. Company is disjointed among divisions. No real company loyalty.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to implement diversity, employee development and recognition and a communicative culture.

Very Bad.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Benefits and health insurance is very good.

ConsBad management practices and poor union support.

Advice to Senior ManagementRedirect your ideas

Good Pay, Poor Management

ProsThe Pay is very Good

ConsThe Management is very poor

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to People that are willing to help

learning experience

General Assembler (Current Employee) Oshkosh, WI (US)

ProsExcellent pay.. wide variety of job opportunies and excellent benefits

ConsToo much push push let's rush to hit the numbers and not enough management caring about the quality of the product

Advice to Senior ManagementPull your head out of your tail and learn to actually listen to what employees have to say and their ideas instead of treating them like crap and shutting them out.

Could be much better...

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Oshkosh, WI (US)

Pros1. Exciting vehicles and products.
    2. Opportunity to work on DoD projects and directly assist our war fighters.
    3. Fast-paced engineering and design environment. Something new every day.
    4. Still some experienced and highly intelligent people left to work with on ground floor.

Cons1. High level of effort and sacrifice expected, but not willing to pay for it. Salary structure is behind the times and not market competitive. Yearly increases are routinely behind inflation.
    2. Managers are very stuck on themselves and only concerned with self-promotion.
    3. Projects are inadequately managed, resulting in a pile of work at any given moment. The company always seems to be behind on everything, which ends up unnecessarily pushing everyone daily.
    4. Promotions are dangled in front of you, but rarely handed out and very much dictated by a club atmosphere. If you're in the club, you're all set. If not, you're screwed no matter how much effort you put in.
    5. No real internal career paths are defined, nor are dept moves encouraged within the company. Each dept does what it wants and HR only gets involved if there's an issue or fight to keep someone.
    6. Bonus structure is a joke. Honestly, it really is that bad. Might as well just donate to charity instead, would mean more to everyone.

Overall, company has a militant approach to dealing with employees and customer issues. Very rarely does the right thing get done unless required by law or contract. They simply don't treat employees well.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo better, we expect more from our leaders... especially for what you get paid. Grow a set and start doing the right thing, stand up for your people when they are right.

Worked for Oshkosh Corporation? Contribute to the Community!