Oshkosh Corporation

Oshkosh Corporation Reviews

Updated 16 April 2015
82 reviews filtered by

Could be much better...

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Oshkosh, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Oshkosh, WI (US)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Exciting vehicles and products.
    2. Opportunity to work on DoD projects and directly assist our war fighters.
    3. Fast-paced engineering and design environment. Something new every day.
    4. Still some experienced and highly intelligent people left to work with on ground floor.

Cons

1. High level of effort and sacrifice expected, but not willing to pay for it. Salary structure is behind the times and not market competitive. Yearly increases are routinely behind inflation.
    2. Managers are very stuck on themselves and only concerned with self-promotion.
    3. Projects are inadequately managed, resulting in a pile of work at any given moment. The company always seems to be behind on everything, which ends up unnecessarily pushing everyone daily.
    4. Promotions are dangled in front of you, but rarely handed out and very much dictated by a club atmosphere. If you're in the club, you're all set. If not, you're screwed no matter how much effort you put in.
    5. No real internal career paths are defined, nor are dept moves encouraged within the company. Each dept does what it wants and HR only gets involved if there's an issue or fight to keep someone.
    6. Bonus structure is a joke. Honestly, it really is that bad. Might as well just donate to charity instead, would mean more to everyone.

Overall, company has a militant approach to dealing with employees and customer issues. Very rarely does the right thing get done unless required by law or contract. They simply don't treat employees well.

Advice to Management

Do better, we expect more from our leaders... especially for what you get paid. Grow a set and start doing the right thing, stand up for your people when they are right.

2. Time to get out

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Oshkosh, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Oshkosh, WI (US)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When the going is good things are great.This is a company that has so much potential to grow and develop its units. Still hiring people - so many corporate opportunities.
    Have great social life with co-workers but there tends to be a very loose policy especially drinking.
    Opportunities ( in the past) have been fantastic for rapid promotion.

Cons

Working conditions - verbally not good ? To much abuse down the chain. I have personally seen the transition into the business of new divisions only to be talked down and squashed by corporate administrators here in WI. We were ONE Oshkosh - remember!
    Leadership is weak. Senior executives get away with a lot and are not punished while mid levels are crucified at every turn. This company is underachieving and hurting its own assets.

Advice to Management

Grow some! Get on top of your senior management who talk smack and act like bullies. If the Exec turns up to a meeting hung over - kick their butt !!
    I think I have put it out there well. You have quality people working for you but some senior executives are more concerned with smear campaigns than getting on with the job.
    Oh and CEO - Take a weekend off!

3. Time to get out!

Current Employee - Fabricator in Appleton, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Fabricator in Appleton, WI (US)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The wages are the best for my job class in this area, but that's it!

Cons

Management is about the worst I and many others have ever seen. It literally is amazing that a product is even produced, much less a decent one. You're always kept in the dark an s treated with little respect. Constant threat of layoffs sue to poor management and planning.

Advice to Management

Learn how to run a business!

5. Not a bad place for an internship.

Current Intern - Information Technology Intern in Oshkosh, WI (US)
    Current Intern - Information Technology Intern in Oshkosh, WI (US)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

For an internship, they are very flexible with students and will try to accommodate them as much as possible.

Cons

There can be periods of time where there isn't much work that an intern can do. There is also the matter of little training going on as well.

Advice to Management

You have a pretty nice internship program, but you hire very few from it because you seem to only want senior level experience. You have plenty of valuable skills coming out of nearby colleges.

6. OverallGreat Experience.

Former Employee - Sales Administrator in Oshkosh, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Administrator in Oshkosh, WI (US)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office Culture, people, decent benefits, good work/life balance

Cons

not much areas for advancement

Advice to Management

promotions

7. Great place to work if you like a fast paced environment!

Current Employee - Senior Buyer in Oshkosh, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Buyer in Oshkosh, WI (US)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive, good benefits, allot of great people, the work is rewarding.

Cons

It can be a pressure cooker at times and depending on the department, management can be taxing.

8. Miserable

Former Employee - Team Coordinator in Oshkosh, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Team Coordinator in Oshkosh, WI (US)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and the product.

Cons

Good old boy network, long hours, little to no recognition

Advice to Management

Get rid of the good old boy network, embrace the employee's that do the work and try and work with the union instead of against it.

9. Great company, great culture

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment with supportive co workers, great benefits and always working to improve. You can always find the help that you need to accomplish your tasks

Cons

Large corporation who has acquired several other smaller business which in turn result in the lack of cohesion. The company is working on trying to become one Oshkosh, however, with such a widespread amount of business units, it is a daunting task.

10. Great Company

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

Very good company to work for, good people, good inviroment to work in.

Cons

Sorry no cons that I remember.

Advice to Management

Should had worked harder to keep company in Killeen.

It was a very enjoyable experience.

Former Employee - Material Coordinator
    Former Employee - Material Coordinator

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people were very friendly and the compensation and benefits were outstanding. The working conditions were above average, the facilities were clean and heated in the winter.

Cons

Employment availability was totally dependent upon the US Government. They would award the company contracts and then cancel them, leaving you without a job. There was no open door policy there, you had no way to speak to upper management, and at times lower management could be very unfair about things. They would sign an employment contract and then brake every condition of the contract possible. Would take years to resolve grievances.

Advice to Management

Spend more time paying attention to what is actually happening on the floors of your company. You need to make a greater effort to get along with the workforce.