Oxford University

www.ox.ac.uk

Oxford University Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
Oxford University – Oxford – “University of Oxford, Computer Science Department”

Not yet rated.

Oxford University Chancellor Christopher Francis Patten

Christopher Francis Patten

Pros
  • The town of Oxford is also a great place to live(in 5 reviews)

• Top people to work with and a beautiful city to live in(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • very expensive to live especially the housing(in 3 reviews)

• highly competitive, no job security(in 3 reviews)

Good place to work

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) Oxford, England

ProsSmart people, lots of seminars and research talks. The culture of out-of-the box thinking is very appealing. Free lunches and dinners. The city has a lot going on, with places to go out and a proximity to London.

ConsThe separation of University into colleges isolates people and does not seem to serve any good purpose. Administration may not be very efficient, depending on which division you're in.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Smart people, good work experience, but poor quality of life on the salaries available to postdocs.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) Oxford, England

ProsThe lab I work in has lived up to my exceptions. My supervisor and lab mates are intelligent, friendly, well spoken, and very hard working. As anywhere, it's hard to find a good work/life balance, but I no one is pressured to work beyond a standard work day.
    The labs I've been in are well funded, well equipped and well stocked.
    The city is beautiful. There is amazing architecture, as well as wonderful countryside walks very nearby.

ConsThe departmental bureaucracy can be painful to interact with.
    Oxford (and the south of England in general) is expensive to live in, and the postdoc positions do not pay enough to make living here truly comfortable.
    The university college system does not work well for postdocs. Opinions vary, but I feel that the system tends to make socializing more difficult - i.e. it tends to be isolating.

i am a postdoc in genetics

Clinical Research Project Manager (Current Employee) Oxford, England

Prosif you want to do cutting-edge science, and the projects are truly challenging.

Consit's low paid, could be frustrating and sometime political

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great experience, surrounded by people you have a lot to learn from

Lecturer (Current Employee) Oxford, England

ProsWork as a lecturer in independent: you have a lot of autonomy, you manage your own time, you get to teach bright students, and learn a lot from your colleagues. The work-life balance depends on you, since research never ends and you need to know when to stop.

ConsSalaries are not great in academia; also, if you do not have a permanent position you are very likely to have to move to another part of the country for a different job; there is pressure to publish.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are lots of benefits in terms of housing and meals, which somewhat make up for the low salary.

Excellent three-year postdoc

ProsWork is varied and relatively low-stress; colleagues are wonderful to work with and support for career development has been fantastic. There is plenty of scope to pursue personal research interests.

ConsTeaching opportunities can be limited; cost of living is relatively high and the city can feel limited for those used to London.

High standard

Postdoctoral Research Assistant (Former Employee) Oxford, England

ProsCompensation, job standard, relaxed culture

ConsThe cost of living is quite high compared to even a more than average salary.

Great

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) Oxford, England

ProsAll is good. Big name uni.

ConsPolitics and all the ego boosting

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to modernise

Good place to study and live

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Oxford, England

ProsUniversity of Oxford is one of the top universities in the world with great prestige. It has the greatest resources for research and study. The town of Oxford is also a great place to live.
    There are lots of research groups in this university. I am in department of Engineering Science, it contains information science, mechanics, computer science, optics, nanotechnology. If you want to have cooperation with them, it will be very convenient.

ConsIf you want to go to London, you will take more than one hour there.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe efficiency of the administration is better to improve.

Excellent colleagues and resources available to conduct projects.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Oxford, England

ProsVast resources, exciting research projects, plenty to learn from team members, beautiful location, wide variety of disciplines, prestige of organisation, good transport links.

ConsLow salary, difficult to progress in career, postdoctoral salaries are unsustainable, expensive city to live in, transport is good but also very expensive. Prepare to live well below the average to make it here!

Advice to Senior ManagementIncome is tiered to inflation, but nobody factors in the cost of living or the expenses, especially for students who are transitioning into postdocs.

Unique.

Graduate Student (Former Employee) Oxford, England

ProsGeneral people, core academics have a very idealistic mindset. I have felt myself as Alice in Wonderland. Is definitely not what you could experience in any part of the world. I think their motto might be Work Hard! Play Hard! and they really keep themselves to this. You learn lessons and skills for a lifetime. If I would have the opportunity to become President of a country or spend say 1 year in Oxford studying, I would choose the latter one.

ConsSuddenly everyone excels in what you did best in the past and thought you can only do. But Oxford's uniqueness then lies in the fact through its human centered to help you find who you really are - and add to your values...

Advice to Senior ManagementI did not have much contact with them. Thank you for doing it - I appreciate that without them I would not have been able focus on things that were more valuable to me and hopefully to others.

Worked for Oxford University? Contribute to the Community!