Oxford University
www.ox.ac.uk Oxford, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Oxford University Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Apr 19, 2014
Oxford University – Oxford – “University of Oxford, Computer Science Department”

Oxford University Vice-Chancellor Andrew Hamilton

Andrew Hamilton

55 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to study and live

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oxford University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsUniversity of Oxford is one of the top universities in the world with great prestige. It has the greatest resources for research and study. The town of Oxford is also a great place to live.
There are lots of research groups in this university. I am in department of Engineering Science, it contains information science, mechanics, computer science, optics, nanotechnology. If you want to have cooperation with them, it will be very convenient.

ConsIf you want to go to London, you will take more than one hour there.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe efficiency of the administration is better to improve.

Excellent colleagues and resources available to conduct projects.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University as a contractor for more than a year

ProsVast resources, exciting research projects, plenty to learn from team members, beautiful location, wide variety of disciplines, prestige of organisation, good transport links.

ConsLow salary, difficult to progress in career, postdoctoral salaries are unsustainable, expensive city to live in, transport is good but also very expensive. Prepare to live well below the average to make it here!

Advice to Senior ManagementIncome is tiered to inflation, but nobody factors in the cost of living or the expenses, especially for students who are transitioning into postdocs.

Unique.

Graduate Student (Former Employee)

I worked at Oxford University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGeneral people, core academics have a very idealistic mindset. I have felt myself as Alice in Wonderland. Is definitely not what you could experience in any part of the world. I think their motto might be Work Hard! Play Hard! and they really keep themselves to this. You learn lessons and skills for a lifetime. If I would have the opportunity to become President of a country or spend say 1 year in Oxford studying, I would choose the latter one.

ConsSuddenly everyone excels in what you did best in the past and thought you can only do. But Oxford's uniqueness then lies in the fact through its human centered to help you find who you really are - and add to your values...

Advice to Senior ManagementI did not have much contact with them. Thank you for doing it - I appreciate that without them I would not have been able focus on things that were more valuable to me and hopefully to others.

Oxford University - Economics PhD

PhD Student (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oxford University full-time for more than 3 years

Prosinspiring environment, great opportunities, good supervisors

Consscholarship opportunities for PhD students more limitd than at some other top universities

Great place to be an early-career researcher

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)
Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University full-time for less than a year

Pros- Oxford is a magnet for wonderful researchers, conferences and talks. There is always something interesting to be seen
- The town is beautiful, very green, with very interesting museums and buildings to visit. - The unique collegiate culture provides you with a nice affiliation and facilities like college lunch.
- Giving tutorials is a very interesting teaching experience. Lecturers do complain about heavy teaching loads, but as a postdoc my teaching load is capped, so I enjoy it.
- The research facilitators help substantially in putting together a grant application

Cons- Oxford is expensive to live in! The housing market is unhealthy
- The pay is so-so compared to other British institutions, and does not take into account that Oxford is next to London the most expensive British city.
- Because it's so big and because of the collegiate structure, the faculty does have a lack of coherence, I don't even know all the faculty members
- Most research positions are temporary, and few of these make it as permanent researchers. I for one do not expect to stay on after my fellowship. To pass through for a couple of years it is fine though

Great city great work

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oxford University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBeautiful city. International people. World class facilities

ConsResearch can be monotonous and working alone on a specific problem for a long time

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Oxford University for more than a year

ProsGreat intellectual stimulation, good research facilities.

ConsCan be a bit siloed

Great experience of my life

I have been working at Oxford University full-time

ProsGreat benefits and prompt payment

ConsCity can be small sometimes

A mixed bag...........

DPhil Student (Current Employee)
Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University full-time for more than a year

ProsGood prospects and enjoyable college life

ConsPoor work-life balance, often poor supervision

Doctoral research in the University of Oxford.

Doctoral Researcher (Former Employee)

I worked at Oxford University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsUniversity of Oxford is one of the most competitive universities in the UK, which makes it a very interesting place to be a part of.

ConsIt is a very competitive environment that requires lots of dedication. Hours can be long and working during weekends is common among researchers.

Worked for Oxford University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oxford University reviews and ratings in United Kingdom — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Oxford University CEO Andrew Hamilton . All 55 reviews posted anonymously by Oxford University employees.